Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bravo UofU!

Beckerle rumored to be reinstated tomorrow.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...d-Tuesday.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    When he was Presiding Bishop, he had a rep for integrity, which is why he was brought to UTA. apparently hasn't handled either Chair position well.
    There are some who might disagree with that reputation. However, giving him the benefit of the doubt perhaps his struggle has gone from being a leader in an organization that is very private and what you say goes no questions asked, to two public entities with people who don't care what you have to say.

He is a Governor's appointee as well, so that doesn't necessarily mean you have to be good or qualified for the job.

With the rumor of the reinstatement of Beckerle, I just don't see how Pershing, Lee and Burton will survive at the U as presently constituted.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    No. Spencer F. Eccles is Treasurer. Spencer P. Eccles, his only son, is not on the board.....at least according to the Board of Trustees website.
    I stand corrected, I got my Ps and my Fs confused. That coupled with Jim Sorensons, Christian Gardners and other children of big donors got me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    There are some who might disagree with that reputation. However, giving him the benefit of the doubt perhaps his struggle has gone from being a leader in an organization that is very private and what you say goes no questions asked, to two public entities with people who don't care what you have to say.

He is a Governor's appointee as well, so that doesn't necessarily mean you have to be good or qualified for the job.

With the rumor of the reinstatement of Beckerle, I just don't see how Pershing, Lee and Burton will survive at the U as presently constituted.

I cant see how Vivian Lee doesnt immediately start looking for another job. She was always thought to be a
    short timer and rising superstar, using the U as a steppingstone, ala urban or Hiram Chodosh. I dont know how she continues in her current job.

My crystal ball tells me that after 3 months or so have passed Pershing will quietly announce that he is stepping down and returning to his duties as a full professor of engineering. He's not going to be president of another university. I doubt anything will happen to Burton, but he won't continue after his current term ends. Lee will leave within a year. The question has always been how long she would stay. She's a world-class talent and could be anywhere she wants to be. This is the most badly-handled matter at the U. since the botched re-naming of the medical school under Chase Peterson. (We'll leave out Mike Young's decision to leave his wife for a woman 25 years younger than he. That was a personal matter.)

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    My crystal ball tells me that after 3 months or so have passed Pershing will quietly announce that he is stepping down and returning to his duties as a full professor of engineering. He's not going to be president of another university. I doubt anything will happen to Burton, but he won't continue after his current term ends. Lee will leave within a year. The question has always been how long she would stay. She's a world-class talent and could be anywhere she wants to be. This is the most badly-handled matter at the U. since the botched re-naming of the medical school under Chase Peterson. (We'll leave out Mike Young's decision to leave his wife for a woman 25 years younger than he. That was a personal matter.)

Yep. Don't forget cold fusion announcement. And it wasnt just a woman 25 years younger; she was the wife of an Eccles family member too.

Announcement this afternoon. This looks like two gentlemen who are very very uncomfortable:

https://www.facebook.com/KSLNewsradi...4749229963732/

Yep. Don't forget cold fusion announcement. And it wasnt just a woman 25 years younger; she was the wife of an Eccles family member too.
    I don't recall her being married to an Eccles. She was the director for one of the Eccles foundations. My memory may be off.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    You are probably right. How uncomfortable are meetings going to be for the next few months?

Also, has Vivian Lee's star been tarnished in all of this? If all of the state of Utah knows she is very much unliked, certainly the medical community knows that now too.

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    I don't recall her being married to an Eccles. She was the director for one of the Eccles foundations. My memory may be off.

His mother was Spence Eccles sister so different last name.

but it is one reason the Eccles were so p.o.ed about the whole thing.

His mother was Spence Eccles sister so different last name.

but it is one reason the Eccles were so p.o.ed about the whole thing.
    OK. That makes sense.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

I gave them a pass on cold fusion. There was at least apparent scientific information to rely on there. This was just bungling.

And...the Eccles connection to the Young drama was just too much. You could not make this stuff up.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Beckerle back in... and reporting to Pershing now. I think that speaks volumes to what the root of the problem was.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43999241&nid...s-ceo-director

Now speculation on my part, but Lee wanted Beckerle fired because of a toxic working relationship between the two. She approached Pershing and Burton regarding the matter and they supported the decision. Once it was bungled in the way it was (and that would also explain the email termination - and lets make it clear, that some reported the email came from Pershing, it did not, it came from Lee.) Pershing's hand was forced to support his direct report and so he did along with Burton.

That seems to be the most plausible explanation. However, the buck stops with Pershing and certainly both he and Burton should have been aware enough to realize that it would impact the Huntsman's and would require full buy-in from the Board of Trustees.

LA Ute's scenario is going to play out exactly as he stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Beckerle back in... and reporting to Pershing now. I think that speaks volumes to what the root of the problem was.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43999241&nid...s-ceo-director

Now speculation on my part, but Lee wanted Beckerle fired because of a toxic working relationship between the two. She approached Pershing and Burton regarding the matter and they supported the decision. Once it was bungled in the way it was (and that would also explain the email termination - and lets make it clear, that some reported the email came from Pershing, it did not, it came from Lee.) Pershing's hand was forced to support his direct report and so he did along with Burton.

That seems to be the most plausible explanation. However, the buck stops with Pershing and certainly both he and Burton should have been aware enough to realize that it would impact the Huntsman's and would require full buy-in from the Board of Trustees.

LA Ute's scenario is going to play out exactly as he stated.

the writing is on the wall for Pershing and Lee, what an embarrassment for the University

A couple of notes:
    -Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the Eccles/Mike Young comments but let me clarify relationships. Young's second wife is not an Eccles. She was formerly married to Steve Denkers - executive director of a smaller Eccles Foundation (not the grand-daddy of them all which is the George S. and Dolores Dore Eccles Foundation). I believe Steve Denkers is an Eccles but I'm not sure of that. Nevertheless, the foundation was part of the Eccles family of foundations and so they circled the wagons and stopped payment on pledges and any new pledges to the U until Pres. Young left for Washington. They did so very quietly.

-I don't mean to quibble too much with you LA Ute but Vivian Lee is no rising star. Perhaps you mean that she was when the U hired her. That would be accurate. She may come out of this just fine. I imagine her network back east is still intact. She has no network here. If the tables were turned between Lee and Beckerle, Lee couldn't get a petition with 20 names on it from supporters here in Utah - let alone the 2000+ that signed for Beckerle. Lee has ruled by fiat and insulated herself with hierarchy since coming aboard. Not only would I call her a poor leader but I've been witness to a complete lack of humility. I've also been witness to hiring choices that, for the most part, have added more people like her or worse to health sciences. She is smart and she has a good vision for health sciences but I have zero faith in her ability to implement the vision. The best thing that could happen for the U is that Lee moves on. One of the reasons I am no longer working in health sciences is Vivian Lee's poor leadership and poor decision-making.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    A couple of notes:
    -Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the Eccles/Mike Young comments but let me clarify relationships. Young's second wife is not an Eccles. She was formerly married to Steve Denkers - executive director of a smaller Eccles Foundation (not the grand-daddy of them all which is the George S. and Dolores Dore Eccles Foundation). I believe Steve Denkers is an Eccles but I'm not sure of that. Nevertheless, the foundation was part of the Eccles family of foundations and so they circled the wagons and stopped payment on pledges and any new pledges to the U until Pres. Young left for Washington. They did so very quietly.

-I don't mean to quibble too much with you LA Ute but Vivian Lee is no rising star. Perhaps you mean that she was when the U hired her. That would be accurate. She may come out of this just fine. I imagine her network back east is still intact. She has no network here. If the tables were turned between Lee and Beckerle, Lee couldn't get a petition with 20 names on it from supporters here in Utah - let alone the 2000+ that signed for Beckerle. Lee has ruled by fiat and insulated herself with hierarchy since coming aboard. Not only would I call her a poor leader but I've been witness to a complete lack of humility. I've also been witness to hiring choices that, for the most part, have added more people like her or worse to health sciences. She is smart and she has a good vision for health sciences but I have zero faith in her ability to implement the vision. The best thing that could happen for the U is that Lee moves on. One of the reasons I am no longer working in health sciences is Vivian Lee's poor leadership and poor decision-making.
    Denker's mother is Spence's sister. That was my comment.

I have heard that the U has been unable to hire Lee's No. 2 for over a year because nobody wants to work with/for her.

i also remember hearing that Karen Huntsman was so outraged, that they also refused any more donations until Young was gone.
    Last edited by concerned; 04-25-2017 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    the writing is on the wall for Pershing and Lee, what an embarrassment for the University
    Lee certainly.

Pershing who knows.

Jon Huntsman Sr. praised him this afternoon saying he (Pershing) was given inaccurate and misleading information from his underlings. He also said he hopes Pershing remains President and that it's been wonderful to work with him in the past.

Concerned,
    I think you heard right about Karen Huntsman. I've left the U but I heard from several former development/fundraising colleagues that they were curled up in fetal positions at the thought of the Huntsman's calling around to the usual suspects and asking them to "hold off" on their support of the U until this got resolved.

Sorry about misunderstanding your comment about the Denkers. I just didn't read closely.

Bravo UofU!

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    A couple of notes:

I have had very little to do with Dr. Lee for about four years. At that time, at least, the development people were referring to her as a world-class rising star and selling her as such to potential donors. Also a couple of guys I know who are on the National Advisory Council have been led to believe that she is such a star. Maybe that is simply what they have been told. I'm not sure how they would really know. As for me, I don't really know either. I'll go with your view. My experiences with the U's alumni relations and development efforts over the last five or six years have left me a little less starry-eyed about the place than I used to be. You know about some of those.

--Yeats

I heardvtonight that Lee has been looking for 2years but hasn't been able to find anything

LA,
    I was reading the Tribune article just now on the whole debacle. It was interesting to note some accomplishments and growth the U hospital and health sciences have experienced under Lee's tenure. It forces me to check some of my thoughts. I still stand by my view that she is not an executive I'd want to work for but the ball has moved down the field under her watch. I'd still like to see her move on and leave the continued growth - particularly the building of a new medical school and rehabilitation hospital - to a successor.

Huntman says that the last week nearly cost the university $250M.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...Utah-250M.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Huntman says that the last week nearly cost the university $250M.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...Utah-250M.html

So of course Greg Hughes wants to investigate.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/5218165-1...ersity-of-utah

So of course Greg Hughes wants to investigate.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/5218165-1...ersity-of-utah
    Guy's got a grudge against the U. Pathetic.

--Yeats

BREAKING: Dr. Vivian Lee, CEO of U of U health care and senior vice president of health services there, has resigned. More to come. #utpol

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    BREAKING: Dr. Vivian Lee, CEO of U of U health care and senior vice president of health services there, has resigned. More to come. #utpol
    On a Friday afternoon?! How strange.

Did she announce her resignation via email?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Did she announce her resignation via email?
    LOL.

While I think in the long run this is probably best for the U, I'm a bit surprised at Jon Huntsman Sr's comments to the media. I understand he's got a very personal interest in this, but his comments today just don't seem real professional.