Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bravo UofU!

Utah goes international with new building in South Korea. This was also briefly highlighted during the SUU game.

http://unews.utah.edu/u-asia-campus-...n-south-korea/

The new Lassonde Institute at the U opened up with 18 new startups in incubation.

http://lassonde.utah.edu/meet-the-co...unch-startups/

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    The new Lassonde Institute at the U opened up with 18 new startups in incubation.

http://lassonde.utah.edu/meet-the-co...unch-startups/
    I walked by there last week. It's a beautiful building.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I walked by there last week. It's a beautiful building.
    It is pretty amazing. I guess they based the interior on how modern startups in SF are architecting their interiors, with lots of mobility of desks/computers/whiteboards and common creative spaces.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--Yeats

They've worked hard to get there. When I worked at the hospital 10 years ago the goals to get where they are now were set. It's the only hospital I go to if I have a choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sitake what?! University of Utah Sets Sights on Building Nation's Top Pacific Islander Program

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-am...4951?cid=sm_tw

University of Utah named the best school in the country for aspiring entrepreneurs

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...rs.html?pg=all

--Yeats

Congrats to the U law school on being the best law school in the state of Utah per U.S. News:

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/201...gs-are-here-2/

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Congrats to the U law school on being the best law school in the state of Utah per U.S. News:

Is there another law school in Utah?

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post

Looks like the U was inspired by all of those ice bucket challenges a couple of years ago.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43846269&nid...r-for-patients
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Looks like the U was inspired by all of those ice bucket challenges a couple of years ago.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43846269&nid...r-for-patients
    Turns out one of the major triggers is ice water. Oops.

Is Pershing an idiot? It looks like he fired the CEO of the Huntsman Cancer Institute apparently without consulting Jon M Huntsman. Jon Huntsman is quoted as saying that it is a power grab by Vivian Lee and Karen Huntsman is quoted as saying "this is just the beginning, the war."
    I cannot believe you would not consult probably the biggest donor the University has.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/5189972-1...-of-utah-power

Hopefully there is more to the story. Not a wise decision otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bye, bye stadium expansion.

Boy, they kicked a hornets nest on this one. Other than Lee, which university administrators won't survive this? Don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this before. You've done messed up A-Aron.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Boy, they kicked a hornets nest on this one. Other than Lee, which university administrators won't survive this? Don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this before. You've done messed up A-Aron.
    Pershing.

It sounds worse from this DesNews article: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ible-move.html. Sounds like a major cluster that will not be resolved without blood. I will take Huntsman over Pershing and Lee every day of the week.

Huntsman promised "several" lawsuits against the university in the coming weeks, some of them related to handling of finances. He alleged that the university has not met its agreed-to financial obligations in the last few years to reimburse the Huntsman's efforts to expand and improve the Huntsman Institute Center campus.
    The Huntsman Cancer Foundation's "sole purpose is to raise funds to support the mission of Huntsman Cancer Institute" and is responsible for funding one-third of the institute's budget, according to explanations given on a University of Utah Health Care web page. The Huntsman Foundation is an organization responsible for a wider range of philanthropic projects.
    The Huntsman Cancer Institute itself is not owned or operated by the Huntsmans.
    Huntsman said a deal was being negotiated in recent days that would result in $250 million being donated to Huntsman Cancer Institute by the Huntsman Foundation over the next eight years. But those negotiations are now on hold, he said. He said he is committed to making Huntsman Cancer Institute a world-renowned facility lasting until "well after I'm gone," but that he wants Lee fired.
    "Our family has now either raised or contributed or through grants, we've put over $2.2 billion in this facility, and until V"Our family has now either raised or contributed or through grants, we've put over $2.2 billion in this facility, and until Vivian Lee is replaced and removed and fired — our family will continue to always, always help those with cancer — but we have other buildings on the drawing board, other plans for expansion and we're not going to slow down because of a bureaucrat," Huntsman said.
    Huntsman also lamented what he said was a troubling relationship with the University of Utah overall.
    Last edited by UTEopia; 04-19-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    It sounds worse from this DesNews article: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ible-move.html. Sounds like a major cluster that will not be resolved without blood. I will take Huntsman over Pershing and Lee every day of the week.
    Yeah, time to let go of Pershing and Lee. University presidents are easy to replace, and they are never well-liked for more than a few years. I'd drop him today.

Bravo UofU!

I have been thoroughly unimpressed with President Pershing. Dr. Lee is a world-class research medicine dynamo and it would be a shame to lose her, but losing Huntsman is a much bigger deal.

--Yeats

I'll be curious to see what happens with this.

We certainly are only getting one side of this story.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I'll be curious to see what happens with this.

We certainly are only getting one side of this story.

with the amount of money the Hunstman donate on the Hill, there's only 1 side of the story that truly matters

Bravo UofU!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    with the amount of money the Hunstman donate on the Hill, there's only 1 side of the story that truly matters
    I would disagree with that, I love what their family does. I don't think that means they're automatically correct.

I have no love for Pershing. Never have. I'm just always wanting the whole story, which as we all know never comes out in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Very true. Despite other back stories it is truly astounding that they didn't talk to the Huntsman's before this. So if I understand this right:

1. They fired a CEO who is highly respected and admired by her employees and the cancer community, yet seem unaware that there might be blowback
    2. They fire her without a discussion, just by email. I wouldn't do that to an intern, let alone a CEO.
    3. They plan to retain her as a member of the faculty, which I don't care how great that person it, it is a horrendous idea to keep a fired member on staff in any capacity
    4. They didn't notify the largest donor of the U whose name is represented on the same hospital of this fact

Lee might be behind the power grab but Pershing oversaw it... I'm down to no respect for the man anymore. I understand he isn't well respected by the faculty at the U either. Too much stuff like this.

Pershing has already been around longer than the average university president. It's unlikely he'll be around much longer, even without this incident. Might as well fire him now and keep the big donor happy. Unless he's wants to retire, Pershing will just move on to another university presidency anyway.

As for Lee, firing faculty is a bigger deal than firing a president. I'm with Diehard - take a good look at her side of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Pershing has already been around longer than the average university president. It's unlikely he'll be around much longer, even without this incident. Might as well fire him now and keep the big donor happy. Unless he's wants to retire, Pershing will just move on to another university presidency anyway.

As for Lee, firing faculty is a bigger deal than firing a president. I'm with Diehard - take a good look at her side of the story.
    Pershing could also just go back to being a tenured engineering professor and work at the U. until he retires.

--Yeats

Regardless of how this shakes out, the execution of the decision was about as poorly orchestrated as possible and the long term damage may be greater than the short-term if Huntsman decides to move his sizable contributions to other institutions.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Regardless of how this shakes out, the execution of the decision was about as poorly orchestrated as possible and the long term damage may be greater than the short-term if Huntsman decides to move his sizable contributions to other institutions.
    I suspect there is a lot of activity going on right now among movers and shakers in the U. of U. world that is focused on mollifying Mr. Huntsman.

--Yeats