Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
I heard Dean Randall speak Friday at my son's graduation ceremony (M.S., Information Systems). He has "Leader" written all over him.
The business school is completely different since I attended there and also did post-graduate work there. It has become highly respected and they've also done a great job with the Executive MBA and Professional MBA programs. The facilities are top notch, etc.

When I graduated Jack Brittain was the dean and gave a graduating speech that I'm paraphrasing but was about 3 minutes long and said something like, "I've only gotten to know a handful of you because I am so busy. But those few people seemed great. You should all consider careers in the manufacturing sector. Also, please make sure to donate once you get your careers, even if it is $5/year because that is a factor in our national rankings - graduate donation rate. Best of luck to you!"

Really it was that bad. Nothing inspirational, nothing motivational, nothing. I remember my dad coming up after and saying, "That was the worst graduation speech I've ever heard."

But yeah, I only bring that up because I think Taylor Randall inherited a bit of a mess and he has fixed it in a big way. During my time at the school we went from a Tier 2 to a Tier 3 b-school. Randall has the school shooting up in the rankings and I'm not embarrassed anymore to claim my education there any more. If he could do with the U what he has done with the b-school we would be in a great position.