Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Bravo UofU!

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Won't happen, but personally I'd be thrilled with Taylor Randall. Smart as they come, a Ute through and through and all the right donors love him.
    Where in the U of U world is Prof. Randall? Is he a dean now?

EDIT: I see that he's the dean of the School of Business with a stellar background. We could do worse.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-03-2017 at 06:32 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Won't happen, but personally I'd be thrilled with Taylor Randall. Smart as they come, a Ute through and through and all the right donors love him.

Actually, I bet he is in the running. Kem Gardner would go to bat for him. He would be terrific.
    Last edited by concerned; 05-03-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Where in the U of U world is Prof. Randall? Is he a dean now?

He is our home teacher, or was until recently. That is qualification enough, since I am a gentile.

Though not as relevant, he is dean of the business school and has done a terrific job getting its new facilities built and its reputation and faculty and programs improved.

He used to lurk on Utefans and posted there once or twice. I cant remember his moniker. He may lurk here. In fact, he may be mUUser, tooting his own horn. Wouldnt put it past him. (tic)
    Last edited by concerned; 05-03-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    He is our home teacher, or was until recently. That is qualification enough, since I am a gentile.

Though not as relevant, he is dean of the business school and has done a terrific job getting its new facilities built and its reputation and faculty and programs improved.

He used to lurk on Utefans and posted there once or twice. I cant remember his moniker. He may lurk here. In fact, he may be mUUser, tooting his own horn. Wouldnt put it past him. (tic)
    Taylor Randall is awesome, easily one of the best professors I ever had and from everything I've heard he's been very well received as dean of the DESB.

Professor Wesley Sundquist is recipient of 2017 Rosenblatt Prize, the University's highest honor.

https://unews.utah.edu/wesley-i-sund...enblatt-prize/
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Professor Dana Carroll elected to National Academy of Sciences.

https://unews.utah.edu/university-of...y-of-sciences/
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Taylor Randall 100%. He rescued the b-school from its death spiral under Jack Brittian's incredibly awful watch. The stuff he has done as dean is amazing. Massive upgrades in facilities, professors, and program reputation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Taylor Randall 100%. He rescued the b-school from its death spiral under Jack Brittian's incredibly awful watch. The stuff he has done as dean is amazing. Massive upgrades in facilities, professors, and program reputation.
    I heard Dean Randall speak Friday at my son's graduation ceremony (M.S., Information Systems). He has "Leader" written all over him.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I heard Dean Randall speak Friday at my son's graduation ceremony (M.S., Information Systems). He has "Leader" written all over him.

just for fun, I sent him a link to this thread, because why not.

The business school is completely different since I attended there and also did post-graduate work there. It has become highly respected and they've also done a great job with the Executive MBA and Professional MBA programs. The facilities are top notch, etc.

When I graduated Jack Brittain was the dean and gave a graduating speech that I'm paraphrasing but was about 3 minutes long and said something like, "I've only gotten to know a handful of you because I am so busy. But those few people seemed great. You should all consider careers in the manufacturing sector. Also, please make sure to donate once you get your careers, even if it is $5/year because that is a factor in our national rankings - graduate donation rate. Best of luck to you!"

Really it was that bad. Nothing inspirational, nothing motivational, nothing. I remember my dad coming up after and saying, "That was the worst graduation speech I've ever heard."

But yeah, I only bring that up because I think Taylor Randall inherited a bit of a mess and he has fixed it in a big way. During my time at the school we went from a Tier 2 to a Tier 3 b-school. Randall has the school shooting up in the rankings and I'm not embarrassed anymore to claim my education there any more. If he could do with the U what he has done with the b-school we would be in a great position.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44170011&nid...total-disarray

Huntsman's actions continue to puzzle me. I really wonder if there are some age related mental health issues here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The U to hire an independent auditor to review the whole Huntsman Cancer Institute.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/5276931-155/university-of-utah-will-hire-independent

Koch Brothers and Eccles donate 20 million to U.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/5528512-1...cles-family-to

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post

The Koch Brothers are horrible capitalists who believe in the free market. We can't take this money

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    The Koch Brothers are horrible capitalists who believe in the free market. We can't take this money
    Actually, you dont know how close that came to being true. There was a lot of push back from the college of humanities and econ department who didnt want it for that very reason.

Private money for a great cause. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Actually, you dont know how close that came to being true. There was a lot of push back from the college of humanities and econ department who didnt want it for that very reason.
    I'm sure that's true. The media (with the help of the democratic party) has completely demonized these brothers. Now, if it was Warren Buffett we would absolutely be wetting ourselves to get that money.

And he is soooo much different than the Koch Brothers. (actually he is different, his companies are much more cutthroat).

I'm sure that's true. The media (with the help of the democratic party) has completely demonized these brothers. Now, if it was Warren Buffett we would absolutely be wetting ourselves to get that money.

And he is soooo much different than the Koch Brothers. (actually he is different, his companies are much more cutthroat).
    I must admit that I knew little about the Koch brothers other than what I read on the Internet. Usually anything on the Internet is spot on, but I listened to the Freakanomics podcast about them and it gave me a better insight to them. I got curious when I heard about how they didn't support Trump. I came away with a much different and clearer perspective on them. They definitely are not just conservative dark money stooges. Much more Libertarian.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    .....Much more Libertarian.

Even as a (R), Eccles was very much a New Dealer Keynsian before JMK, so its a balanced offset in political philosophy. Far too many want to make "mountains out of molehills" in todays political climate. This is exactly how private donations should work.

Pershing should be fired immediately. http://www.sltrib.com/news/education...came-to-light/
    Almost no one in this story comes off looking good. I've always thought Pershing was weak. I've heard that he was a second or third choice for the Utah presidency because the first choice pulled out, not wanting to deal with Utah church-state politics. Supposedly it was a nationally known academic star. I'm a bit fuzzy on that, though.

--Yeats

Utah named top 20 school in the world for innovation and technology transfer.

https://unews.utah.edu/university-of...logy-transfer/

The University of Utah ranked 19th in the world on the Nature Index, a list of top institutions that produce the high-quality research behind commercialized goods and services. Measuring the impact of basic research on innovation, the list was commissioned by Nature Research, publisher of the top-tier scientific journal Nature and other publications.The Nature Index ranks international institutions by calculating the number of research citations listed on patents owned by third parties, rather than those owned by institutions themselves.

From Milken Research Review:

The University of Utah has quietly evolved into one of the most prestigious research universities in the United States with a strong emphasis on commercializing its research.
    http://www.milkenreview.org/articles...earch-in-peril

--Yeats

How "flashing the U" became an iconic, unifying symbol.

https://continuum.utah.edu/features/...sh-in-the-pan/

--Yeats

U Health ranked 6th among 107 academic medical systems........

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...y-of-care.html

Ben Shapiro. Would be an interesting event to attend tonight......

http://www.yaf.org/events/ben-shapiro-university-utah/

Ben Shapiro. Would be an interesting event to attend tonight......

http://www.yaf.org/events/ben-shapiro-university-utah/
    He is a mainstream conservative, right off the pages of National Review. He's farther to the right than I am but all the talk about him being a white supremacist is beyond absurd.

Here's a letter to the Trib about this:

Why we intend to shut down Ben Shapiro

We have no shame in saying that we intend to shut down Ben Shapiro. This is not a decision we came to based on youthful emotions, or out of some desire for the world to be “one big safe space.” This decision was arrived at based on a real, material understanding of the political environment of Utah, and the material effects of an emboldened far right.

As an example; Utah is already a state with a homelessness and suicide crisis amongst LGBTQ youth. Ben Shapiro has openly called transgender people mentally ill. He portrays the gay rights movement as a conspiracy to “root out god-based institutions.” He has recently defended conversion therapy, which is nothing short of abuse.

These are all positions he has stated in naked terms in articles he has written himself. To pretend that Shapiro does not spew racist and transphobic pseudoscience with the desire to justify and encourage violence is idealistic, ahistorical and wrong.

We intend on shutting down Ben Shapiro precisely because we don’t live in a fantasy world where hate speech has no consequences. We believe his hate speech can and will have material consequences for vulnerable people. This will not be a violent protest, but we intend to exercise our free speech in the boldest and most unapologetic way we can, even if Shapiro, his fans, and the University police would have it otherwise.

Ian Decker
    Adorable. It's sophomoric, embarrassing anti-intellectual nonsense, but it's adorable.

--Yeats

He is a mainstream conservative, right off the pages of National Review. He's farther to the right than I am but all the talk about him being a white supremacist is beyond absurd.

Here's a letter to the Trib about this:

Why we intend to shut down Ben Shapiro

Adorable. It's sophomoric, embarrassing anti-intellectual nonsense, but it's adorable.

I agree with you LA. Him speaking at the U about politics is not that far different from you speaking at the U. And that's more shocking and troubling than anything else.

However, I unfollowed him on twitter because he has a horrible habit of retweeting things from idiots and then tearing their statements apart. I don't need (or want) him to bring idiots into my life and he is purposely trying to get me enraged with statements from idiots which insults me.
    Last edited by Two Utes; 09-27-2017 at 01:09 PM.

However, I unfollowed him on twitter because he has a horrible habit of retweeting things from idiots and then tearing their statements apart. I don't need (or want) him to bring idiots into my life and he is purposely trying to get me enraged with statements from idiots which insults me.
    That's his problem. He wants clicks and retweets all that comes with them. I suspect he's happy about all the attention he's generating.

--Yeats