Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bravo UofU!

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I suspect there is a lot of activity going on right now among movers and shakers in the U. of U. world that is focused on mollifying Mr. Huntsman.
    I suspect you are right. The $$$millions dollar question is whether they will be successful.

I suspect there is a lot of activity going on right now among movers and shakers in the U. of U. world that is focused on mollifying Mr. Huntsman.
    Here's the thing that is interesting/confusing to me. The firing email indicated that the "senior leadership " of the Board of Trustees was supportive of the decision. I can't imagine that their isn't at least one if not several of the trustees who personally knows JH Sr. That they were aware of the ouster and didn't give him a courtesy heads up is baffling. It is like they were purposefully keeping him out of the loop.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Here's the thing that is interesting/confusing to me. The firing email indicated that the "senior leadership " of the Board of Trustees was supportive of the decision. I can't imagine that their isn't at least one if not several of the trustees who personally knows JH Sr. That they were aware of the ouster and didn't give him a courtesy heads up is baffling. It is like they were purposefully keeping him out of the loop.

Fairly certain Spence Eccles and H. David Burton are people he knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ma'ake, do you have a take on this?

huntsman doubles down, asks for pershings head

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43950798&nid...of-u-president

Not good.

to state the obvious, it looks like there is a power struggle going on between the Institute and the Hospital/University. The Board of Trustees approved the firing and Burton signed the letter. They must have intentionally decided not to tell huntsman in advance. Either that, or they egregiously underestimated his reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    to state the obvious, it looks like there is a power struggle going on between the Institute and the Hospital/University. The Board of Trustees approved the firing and Burton signed the letter. They must have intentionally decided not to tell huntsman in advance. Either that, or they egregiously underestimated his reaction.

Senior is pissed and going scorched earth -- Pershing, Lee, Burton, and possibly the Gov's head on a stick. I see Eccles is a Trustee. I was under the impress they were besties. No?
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

H David Burton gives 2010 interview about Jon Huntsman. Appears either this was a disingenuous interview on Burton's part, or things have become rather chilly between the two since this interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tBvkUIJXsw
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

OK, I'll admit, I'm fascinated by these events. Anyone who has spent time in the executive suite, knows that over time lots and lots of people will learn to dislike you, particularly newly minted professionals, managers & directors. Typically, they have no clue the politics that are happening 2, 3 or 4 levels above them that they're being sheltered from. It's true that brutal wars happen among senior executives, but, usually it is kept out of the limelight. These senior executives have to make tough, and often unpopular decisions that someone, somewhere is sure to hate. Over time, it compounds itself over and over and over.

In this case, it's top executive vs top executives. To me, this makes things fascinating. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the next shoe to drop. If Huntsman decides to go after Eccles in his role as a Trustee (was his signature on the approval to terminate?).....oh man, oh man, oh man.....

There still has been no reason given for why, correct?

I'll say right now Huntsman has lots more credibility than Pershing or Lee. The fact she had no idea she was going to be fired and it was done over email... something stinks and it is coming from Pershing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    There still has been no reason given for why, correct?

Absent a lawsuit, there won't be.

It's time for cooler heads to enter the fray and try to mediate this thing. I wonder who that might be? Kem Gardner? Mike Leavitt? Dieter Uchtdorf? Seattle Ute?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Bravo UofU!

Ouch. The hits keep coming for Pershing.

http://www.businessinsider.com/patri...-cancer-2017-3

EDIT: Dated March 3. Maybe it was some sort of precursor to the current events...?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Ouch. The hits keep coming for Pershing.

http://www.businessinsider.com/patri...-cancer-2017-3

EDIT: Dated March 3. Maybe it was some sort of precursor to the current events...?

I wonder whether the mover behind this deal was Lee/Pershing or Merkeley. The deal certainly looks shady.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I wonder whether the mover behind this deal was Lee/Pershing or Merkeley. The deal certainly looks shady.
    It was Vivian Lee. A gift was given to the U health sciences that was ostensibly used to purchase services through his company. The hope at the U at the time was it would develop into longer term philanthropy of more significance. Given the negative publicity this story brought, that hope, I'm sure, has dried up.

I spoke to someone who has a direct connection to one member of the Board of Trustees. They said the other members of the board were intentionally left in the dark on the firing and it is true Burton acted alone. The cloud of dust that always seems to follow Burton around is astounding.

I spoke to someone who has a direct connection to one member of the Board of Trustees. They said the other members of the board were intentionally left in the dark on the firing and it is true Burton acted alone. The cloud of dust that always seems to follow Burton around is astounding.

I just find that impossible to believe; if it is true, then Burton needs to go unless I am missing something. A Chair of the Bd of Trustees has no authority to act individually (I assume) but only to act on behalf of the Board. At a minimum the executive committee of the Board would have to know and approve.

Burton was brought into UTA to clean up all the shenanigans with Terry Diehl and the transit developments, and the sweetheart compensation packages to English, Allegra, Bruce Jones, etc., and to keep the legislature from folding UTA into UDOT and making it a dept. of state govt. he was to bring greater transparency, and he was tone deaf, and did precisely the oppsoite (although he did clean up the conflicts of interest). Sounds like that is what may be happening here.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    OK, I'll admit, I'm fascinated by these events. Anyone who has spent time in the executive suite, knows that over time lots and lots of people will learn to dislike you, particularly newly minted professionals, managers & directors. Typically, they have no clue the politics that are happening 2, 3 or 4 levels above them that they're being sheltered from. It's true that brutal wars happen among senior executives, but, usually it is kept out of the limelight. These senior executives have to make tough, and often unpopular decisions that someone, somewhere is sure to hate. Over time, it compounds itself over and over and over.

In this case, it's top executive vs top executives. To me, this makes things fascinating. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the next shoe to drop. If Huntsman decides to go after Eccles in his role as a Trustee (was his signature on the approval to terminate?).....oh man, oh man, oh man.....
    isn't it spence eccles junior?

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    \
    I think Lisa Eccles is also on it.

pigpen.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Yes.

I just find that impossible to believe; if it is true, then Burton needs to go unless I am missing something. A Chair of the Bd of Trustees has no authority to act individually (I assume) but only to act on behalf of the Board. At a minimum the executive committee of the Board would have to know and approve.

Burton was brought into UTA to clean up all the shenanigans with Terry Diehl and the transit developments, and the sweetheart compensation packages to English, Allegra, Bruce Jones, etc., and to keep the legislature from folding UTA into UDOT and making it a dept. of state govt. he was to bring greater transparency, and he was tone deaf, and did precisely the oppsoite (although he did clean up the conflicts of interest). Sounds like that is what may be happening here.
    Unrelated to the info I got yesterday, I heard an interesting theory... really the only plausible one to explain all of this that puts the Huntsmans in the wrong... basically this was a move to get the Huntsmans out from interfering with things as they are in the midst of trying to raise millions to redo the U hospital.

Don't know how plausible that is, but a theory nonetheless.

I prefer to think the simplest explanation is the most likely: Vivian Lee had a power grab and bullied Pershing into firing Beckerle.

I think that Pershing, Burton and Lee all need to go. Pershing is viewed as a nice buy but largely spineless. Lee is pretty much despised by everyone and Burton seems to attract this sort of stuff everywhere he goes. A person I know, very very active LDS toe-the-line sort of a guy, once said to me about Burton, "That guy is simply a liar." I've yet to see that be proven wrong.

I've been surprised that H.D. Burton has chosen to take on such high-profile and controversial positions as an emeritus GA. I don't think that is a good idea. It sure hasn't worked out well in his case.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I've been surprised that H.D. Burton has chosen to take on such high-profile and controversial positions as an emeritus GA. I don't think that is a good idea. It sure hasn't worked out well in his case.
    When he was Presiding Bishop, he had a rep for integrity, which is why he was brought to UTA. apparently hasn't handled either Chair position well.

When he was Presiding Bishop, he had a rep for integrity, which is why he was brought to UTA. apparently hasn't handled either Chair position well.
    Maybe he just lacks experience dealing with public controversy. His background is in private enterprise and in church administration (even prior to being in the Presiding Bishopric).

--Yeats

Unrelated to the info I got yesterday, I heard an interesting theory... really the only plausible one to explain all of this that puts the Huntsmans in the wrong... basically this was a move to get the Huntsmans out from interfering with things as they are in the midst of trying to raise millions to redo the U hospital.

Don't know how plausible that is, but a theory nonetheless.

I prefer to think the simplest explanation is the most likely: Vivian Lee had a power grab and bullied Pershing into firing Beckerle.

I think that Pershing, Burton and Lee all need to go. Pershing is viewed as a nice buy but largely spineless. Lee is pretty much despised by everyone and Burton seems to attract this sort of stuff everywhere he goes. A person I know, very very active LDS toe-the-line sort of a guy, once said to me about Burton, "That guy is simply a liar." I've yet to see that be proven wrong.
    They already have the money to build the new medical school. The legislature approved 50,000,000 which was the requirement for a donation from a California foundation.

The legislature was rather annoyed that this money didn't immediately up the number of students in the med school however.

It's possible this is all tied to that...but who knows, when I worked there the hospital itself certainly didn't get the same treatment HCI got which could be annoying at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    They already have the money to build the new medical school. The legislature approved 50,000,000 which was the requirement for a donation from a California foundation.

The legislature was rather annoyed that this money didn't immediately up the number of students in the med school however.

It's possible this is all tied to that...but who knows, when I worked there the hospital itself certainly didn't get the same treatment HCI got which could be annoying at times.

They got $50M of the needed $420M for the project. The $50M was required for $47.5M from the California foundation the other $320M is coming from bonds and private donations.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/4909787-1...-million-for-u

Yes.

No. Spencer F. Eccles is Treasurer. Spencer P. Eccles, his only son, is not on the board.....at least according to the Board of Trustees website.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    No. Spencer F. Eccles is Treasurer. Spencer P. Eccles, his only son, is not on the board.....at least according to the Board of Trustees website.
    We all know how well documentation like that is kept up to date.