Thread: Utah Volleyball

Utah Volleyball

There wasn't a thread for vball, so I thought I'd create one.

Unfortunately, my timing isn't great. Utah got destroyed by TDS in Provo tonight. Got swept by the scores of 17-25, 16-25, and 7-25. Yup, that's 7 in the third set. Utah was 10-0 before tonight, but played a really "soft" pre-season schedule. And, candidly, TDS is a legit #12 team -- especially with its 6'7", two-sport All-American back. Based on the scant one-match data, the Utes will have a tough season in the ever-challenging PAC 12 conference.

I watched this match on BYU-TV. Jennifer Hamson, the 6'7 player, was absolutely dominant. We had no answer for her. Also, thier outside hitter, Alexa Gray, was just way too much for our front line. It was obvious that BYU was night and day better than we were.

All that said, BYU is a legitimate top-10 team. We still have a really good ballclub and I anticipate that we will finish in the middle of the Pac-12 (there are teams in our conference on par with BYU, they are just going to be too much for us).

Utah is down 0-2 to CU right now. After watching the match between Penn State and Wisconsin last night, Utah looks like a junior college team. It is barely putting up a fight against CU.

- No ball-control
    - Out of position on defense
    - Setting is barely mediocre

Well, somebody woke up the Utes and Coach Launier made a big line-up change. After going down 0-2 (14-25, 15-25), Utah won the next two sets (27-25, 25-22). The match-deciding 5th set is coming up.
    Last edited by justaute; 09-25-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Here is one Utah team that has grown, improved as the season progressed. Utah just beat #13 Oregon. Utah vball has won 6 of last 7 matches, including 5 wins over top-25 teams. Utah started out the PAC12 season by going 2-10, but is now 8-11. The Utes will play CU, another top-12 team, at home to close-out the conference season. Utah is now on the bubble for a post-season berth.

They have been on a nice roll. Barring an absolute collapse, they should make a little noise in the tournament
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I tried to find any news on the Stanford match over the weekend but wasn't able to. I figured we lost but wanted to see how close we played them.

I watched it. Played the Trees very competitively in the first set, but then got bulldozed in the next two.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I tried to find any news on the Stanford match over the weekend but wasn't able to. I figured we lost but wanted to see how close we played them.

#23 Utah vball just beat #18 CU 3-1 to finish the regular season and now awaits the post-season selection on Sunday night. Utah finished the season by winning 7 of last 8 matches and beating 5 top-25 teams. Utah should now be part of the post-season tournament, notwithstanding a sub-20 win season (19-12). A terrific November. Finished strong.
    Last edited by justaute; 11-28-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Utah vball wins its first round of NCAA tournament against Kansas State (3-0).

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Utah vball wins its first round of NCAA tournament against Kansas State (3-0).
    Nice job ladies! Any idea if this is a record?

No. Utah has been to Sweet 16 in the past, and got to the second round last year.

SOB...Utah vballers lost to #11 Nebraska, in Lincoln, 2-3. Still, Utah really turned its season around when it started the P12 season at 2-10 record. Not only did they make it into the tourney, it got to the 2nd round and was very close to a Sweet 16 bid.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    SOB...Utah vballers lost to #11 Nebraska, in Lincoln, 2-3. Still, Utah really turned its season around when it started the P12 season at 2-10 record. Not only did they make it into the tourney, it got to the 2nd round and was very close to a Sweet 16 bid.
    They spotted Nebraska a 2-0 lead then fought back. Hard to do when you're on their home court.

I couldnt believe how many fans Nebraska had there. Incredible job by Coach Launiere and the team!