Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2014-2015 Ute Basketball Thread

The young Utes looked pretty decent tonight -- in particular, Poeltl, Chapman, and I-Wright. I'm feeling encouraged. Poeltl looked terrific and should have a high ceiling...go get'em young man.

- Loveridge/Bach: They are who they are.
    - Taylor: At times, I really don't like his game; nonetheless, has a very good never-give-up attitude.

Kansas loses to Kentucky by 32 tonight, only scoring 40 points. Pace yourselves, kids. Might be a tussle of ugly when we face off. Although I imagine both offenses to have things clicking better by then.

The Official 2014-2015 Ute Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    - Loveridge/Bach: They are who they are.
    I have accepted this fact and have enjoyed increased fan serenity ever since.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

We have four straight games now against some of the worst teams in college basketball. It will be our easiest stretch of the season. We need to pound all four teams into the ground. Our next opportunity to really gauge our team will be December 3 against Witchita St.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    We have four straight games now against some of the worst teams in college basketball. It will be our easiest stretch of the season. We need to pound all four teams into the ground. Our next opportunity to really gauge our team will be December 3 against Witchita St.
    I hope we get plenty of style points and that we work out lots of kinks.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

The Official 2014-2015 Ute Basketball Thread

Didn't see this posted elsewhere. Utah's in the 2015 Puerto Rico Tip-Off:

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-bas...112014aab.html

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Didn't see this posted elsewhere. Utah's in the 2015 Puerto Rico Tip-Off:

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-bas...112014aab.html
    I predict that we will win it. Write it down! Take a picture!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Random question: do the utes use some kind of smoke machine for intros?

HD feed seemed a little hazy at first.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Random question: do the utes use some kind of smoke machine for intros?

HD feed seemed a little hazy at first.
    No smoke

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    No smoke
    Hmm...thanks. Maybe it's them new fangled lights. It's better now.

On Kuzma, Chapman, and Poeltl: The thing that blows my mind about these guys isn't their athleticism, which they have, it's their basketball IQ. Just watching these guys move around on the floor, they all have great instincts about the game. These guys could be the DMC trio we hoped the originals would be. Their athleticism just adds to their ceiling.

My judgement is still out on Wright. The PG position is different. Don't get me wrong, I think he can be good. The kid has mental toughness.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    On Kuzma, Chapman, and Poeltl: The thing that blows my mind about these guys isn't their athleticism, which they have, it's their basketball IQ. Just watching these guys move around on the floor, they all have great instincts about the game. These guys could be the DMC trio we hoped the originals would be. Their athleticism just adds to their ceiling.

My judgement is still out on Wright. The PG position is different. Don't get me wrong, I think he can be good. The kid has mental toughness.
    I think Isaiah may be the most under-the-radar of all four of the freshmen. We'll see, but I think he has a terrific hoops IQ. Of all the newbies he was the only one I've heard Larry gush about.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post

I'm not sure Poeltl's hoops IQ is all that when I see him leaving his feet to block a three pointer as the shot clock is about to expire. Lots of teams are going to try to get him in foul trouble, he needs to be smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I'm not sure Poeltl's hoops IQ is all that when I see him leaving his feet to block a three pointer as the shot clock is about to expire. Lots of teams are going to try to get him in foul trouble, he needs to be smarter.
    As SCP has reminded us, he's a very young Euro who probably hasn't had great coaching. It'll be interesting to see how he progresses this season.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I think I know the one you're talking about. Against UC Riverside? Yeah, that was dumb. It was a bad angle. I'm not saying he's perfect, but he understands the game at a level that I suspect we won't see him do that again.

I think Isaiah may be the most under-the-radar of all four of the freshmen. We'll see, but I think he has a terrific hoops IQ. Of all the newbies he was the only one I've heard Larry gush about.
    Wright is the leader of this group & appears to be driven to succeed. Not sure if it was his idea or Larry K, but at intial practices if he made a bad pass or decision he immediately dropped & did pushups. By the third practice I saw he was not doing any pushups.

Chapman is really basketball savvy in the way he sets picks--he gets low so he is really wide & then he rolls to an open spot. There are times he is open in the post & they do no get him the ball. Too bad as he is really clever around the rim & could pass out of a double team.

Kuzma likes to shoot.

Well, SDSU beat Arizona 61-59. It's hard to draw conclusions from just a few games with common opponents, but I do think the PAC-12 season will be very interesting. It'll also be interesting to see what happens when we play BYU.

--Yeats

Well, SDSU beat Arizona 61-59. It's hard to draw conclusions from just a few games with common opponents, but I do think the PAC-12 season will be very interesting. It'll also be interesting to see what happens when we play BYU.
    I watched parts of the game. Hollis-Jefferson and Johnson are strong and fast. Gonna be hard to handle.

BYU scheduled 5 good noncon games, and they are 0-2 so far. They only have 2-3 meaningful conference games, so they really need to win 2 of 3 vs Utah, Stanford, and UMass.

Well, SDSU beat Arizona 61-59.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

They did?

The PAC-12 site says SDSU won, 61-59. (I checked it twice.) The ESPN site says the score is 61-59, Arizona. From the helpful responses here I am gathering that the PAC-12 site is wrong.

--Yeats

The PAC-12 site says SDSU won, 61-59. (I checked it twice.) The ESPN site says the score is 61-59, Arizona. From the helpful responses here I am gathering that the PAC-12 site is wrong.
    I watched the game. I'm pretty sure I saw Arizona win.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I watched the game. I'm pretty sure I saw Arizona win.
    I do not dispute thy report, O Seattle Ute. I did not see the game; I merely made the mistake of thinking PAC-12.com had the score right.

PAC-12.jpg
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-26-2014 at 11:41 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Wright is the leader of this group & appears to be driven to succeed. Not sure if it was his idea or Larry K, but at intial practices if he made a bad pass or decision he immediately dropped & did pushups. By the third practice I saw he was not doing any pushups.
    Thanks for the insight on Wright. I was noticing last night how often he was getting guys into the right position, which seemed unusual for a freshman. Last night I also realized that I have yet to see him get caught in the air making a pass. Another sign of how mature he is.

Chapman is really basketball savvy in the way he sets picks--he gets low so he is really wide & then he rolls to an open spot. There are times he is open in the post & they do no get him the ball. Too bad as he is really clever around the rim & could pass out of a double team.
    I agree. Very basketball savvy. All these young guys are. It is really exciting to watch. I think this team is smart enough that they'll learn to start looking for things like that.

Kuzma likes to shoot.
    The kid is definitely a gunner and its easy to get shots right now. He only took one against SDSU, and got swatted. That was an early game and it looks like he is rapidly gaining confidence, so we'll see how he fares against Wichita State and BYU. It is a really nice addition to last year when we had stretches where nobody wanted to shoot.

At this point, I'm getting really pumped about this team. It has incredible potential and they are getting better game to game.

Thanks again for the insight.

I do not dispute thy report, O Seattle Ute. I did not see the game; I merely made the mistake of thinking PAC-12.com had the score right.
    Yeah, they screwed it up. Sadly, they haven't fixed it yet.

The SDSU/AZ was somewhat like the SDSU/Ute game. grind it out with tough D by both teams. Az just had Stanley Johnson a fresh step up & score. Plus SDSU missed FTs. Ute/AZ match up may hinge on who covers Johnson--could be Delon or Loveridge, we win that matchup we win the game--if Reyes can rebound with Hollis-Jefferson (is that correct name?).
    BYU is run & gun as they have no inside game. They need to out-score every team. If Connor has a game plan like last year, we shut down Hawes game over as Poeltl, Reyes & company will overwhelm them.
    As to the PAC--if you trust that Utes thumped Wyo in that scrimmage by 20+, then we look good.
    Colorado lost at Wyo by 20. Wyo now being called 2nd best team in league.
    UCLA depends on guards--Alford's kid leading scorer. Pound them inside. They play NoCar today.
    Stanford getting hype early, but they lost players. Randle scores, but I don't think they hold up.
    USC lost to Pacific.
    Rest of the league OK, but Utes should hold home turf & then depends on road wins--we need sweeps which are hard.

Psyched for Dec 3.

At the end of last season, if I told anyone that JO, our most consistent post player, would be the 12th man off of the bench this year, I would have had my fan card revoked.

It is crazy how much we have improved his year.

Its beyond a pitiful metric, but RPI is important, and as of today, we are 51. Green bay and Alabama are in the top 5 and id love to see that justified. But at any rate we are moving up this arbitrary latter of criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Its beyond a pitiful metric, but RPI is important, and as of today, we are 51. Green bay and Alabama are in the top 5 and id love to see that justified. But at any rate we are moving up this arbitrary latter of criteria.
    It is always a ridiculously silly metric, but it's 100 more bad in early December than in February. Don't worry about it yet.

This guy at CBS Sports ranks Utah 13th:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...top-25-and-one

--Yeats