Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: The Official 2014-2015 Ute Basketball Thread

Watching ASU/Cal, they said that if Cal wins, they would be the 6. ASU, as we know can climb as high as 5 with a little help from their friends.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

ASU wins, they finish 9-9 and are likely heading for the 5th seed.

Cal goes to 7-11.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Heading into the final game of the night, here's where we stand:

1. Arizona
    2. Oregon (you're welcome)
    3. Utah
    4. UCLA
    5. ASU
    6. Stanford
    7. Oregon St.
    11. Washington
    12. USC

Colorado gets the 8 with a win and sends WSU to the 10 and Cal gets the 9, with a loss, we go to the three-way tiebreaker at 7-11.

Win in Vegas: 4 seed

Lose in finals: 5 seed

Anything else: 6 seed

That loss sealed a 5 seed in the Midwest (KENTUCKY region)
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Best utah team in 10 years and we are a 5/6 seed. Bummer
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Best utah team in 10 years and we are a 5/6 seed. Bummer
    Lunardi only dropped us to the 4 line, with the Shockers as the 5. That gives me a little hope.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Lunardi only dropped us to the 4 line, with the Shockers as the 5. That gives me a little hope.
    We drop another spot when we lose to Stanford Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    We drop another spot when we lose to Stanford Thursday.
    Get this man some sweet grass! (Or whatever Larry lights on fire)

Mandel's latest has us as the #6 seed playing Boise St. in Pittsburgh (I'd make that drive) and getting Maryland if we got through them. Delon Wright vs. Melo Tremble would be an interesting point guard match up.

Mandel's latest has us as the #6 seed playing Boise St. in Pittsburgh (I'd make that drive) and getting Maryland if we got through them. Delon Wright vs. Melo Tremble would be an interesting point guard match up.
    Same for the matchup vs. Derrick Marks, who was a unanimous choice as MWC POY.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Same for the matchup vs. Derrick Marks, who was a unanimous choice as MWC POY.
    PG play can take you a long way in the big dance. I hope he rises to the challenge.

Watching Gonzaga makes me wonder why we've never gone with a bigger lineup and thrown both of our big men out there. I'm sure there's a good reason for it, and we couldn't do it for long, but some combo of Jakob and Bach or Olsen could cause match up problems. Someone set me straight.

Watching Gonzaga makes me wonder why we've never gone with a bigger lineup and thrown both of our big men out there. I'm sure there's a good reason for it, and we couldn't do it for long, but some combo of Jakob and Bach or Olsen could cause match up problems. Someone set me straight.
    Two things:

1) Gonzaga's bigs can take advantage of lesser big men, and ours can't.

2) Gonzaga's schedule is full of lesser big men, and ours is not.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Two things:

1) Gonzaga's bigs can take advantage of lesser big men, and ours can't.

2) Gonzaga's schedule is full of lesser big men, and ours is not.
    Fair enough.

It'd be interesting to see us run a lineup like that out against an Oregon or shoot, even a Washington, pack in the middle and make them make shots from the outside. Then again, we could just get an athletic big man and that would help too! Come on down Maiwen.

They tried it w/Bach & Jakob. it did not work defensively as neither could guard a quick 4. Plus they get in each other's way on O.
    Rebounding was not much better.
    It flopped each time & Larry K had o call a quick timeout to end it.

NY Times article on Larry and the Sweet Grass: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/17/sp...w-nytimes&_r=0

Not sure I saw these posted here. Delon made the Sporting News first team AA and the USBWA second team AA.

http://www.sportingnews.com/list/463...s/slide/306805

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...-duke-kentucky

Is one first team AA enough to get his name in the rafters?

Utah Men's Basketball Places Four on Pac-12 All-Academic Teams

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/032715aac.html

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I think we all agree on our gratitude to Larry K and this edtion of the Utes. This bunch of players were great representatives of the U and the program. They played hard, were resilient, never quit -- not even close -- and were classy. They gave us all a great ride -- one we had been missing for too many years.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell