Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2014-2015 Ute Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    Something I just noticed while reading some notes from media day on Monday...

From the SLTribune:

Also packing on pounds - according to Utah's rosters - is Jordan Loveridge, who is listed at 222 pounds compared to last year's 210.

Anyone else surprised by this? With all the talk of Loveridge making the move to 3, you'd think he would at the very least want to keep his weight, not put more on. Now, if I remember correctly, he played his freshman year at 230. So it's probably not a big deal, and I'm guessing it's good (lean muscle) weight that won't slow him down. But I thought it was interesting.
    That is interesting and the same thing crossed my mind as I read it. I figured between FR and So years he lost baby fat, and now he's just building "good weight" on an adult body. I guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    That is interesting and the same thing crossed my mind as I read it. I figured between FR and So years he lost baby fat, and now he's just building "good weight" on an adult body. I guess we'll see.
    His weight loss after his freshman year was prompted by his fathers health issues and need to lose weight.

Jordan lost weight with him....which was good, but I'm guessing the Utes strength staff got their hooks in him this year and he's a bit more 'molded'

I just realized that this is (as far as I can remember) the first time we will go up against a former player who is a major minute-getter on his team. I know we played Morgan Grim once when he was at Utah state but he was a garbage time player. Josh Sharp and Craig Cusick both redshirted while with us (I think).

JJ Obrien's time as a Ute seems like forever ago and I doubt there will be much extra motivation on either side in this matchup, but it still is kind of cool. With so many "former Utes" floating around, youd think we would run into this more frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I just realized that this is (as far as I can remember) the first time we will go up against a former player who is a major minute-getter on his team. I know we played Morgan Grim once when he was at Utah state but he was a garbage time player. Josh Sharp and Craig Cusick both redshirted while with us (I think).

JJ Obrien's time as a Ute seems like forever ago and I doubt there will be much extra motivation on either side in this matchup, but it still is kind of cool. With so many "former Utes" floating around, youd think we would run into this more frequently.
    Trent Whiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Trent Whiting.
    Judas!

Trent Whiting.
    Carlon Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Carlon Brown.
    Trent Whiting.
    Lol. sometimes, i think ive nailed it. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    Something I just noticed while reading some notes from media day on Monday...

From the SLTribune:

Also packing on pounds - according to Utah's rosters - is Jordan Loveridge, who is listed at 222 pounds compared to last year's 210.

Anyone else surprised by this? With all the talk of Loveridge making the move to 3, you'd think he would at the very least want to keep his weight, not put more on. Now, if I remember correctly, he played his freshman year at 230. So it's probably not a big deal, and I'm guessing it's good (lean muscle) weight that won't slow him down. But I thought it was interesting.
    I think he is a better player with more weight. Especially if he plays less minutes.

Night with the Runnin Utes is tuesday night. Obviously, there is not a ton to gain from this, but it does give us our first look at a number of players. So, my question is, are you going on tuesday and what, if anything, do you want to see?

Night with the Runnin Utes is tuesday night. Obviously, there is not a ton to gain from this, but it does give us our first look at a number of players. So, my question is, are you going on tuesday and what, if anything, do you want to see?
    I can't be there but I'd love to know how Poeltl looks. He's been kind of a mystery man but I keep hearing hints of awesomeness from those who have seen him play.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I can't be there but I'd love to know how Poeltl looks. He's been kind of a mystery man but I keep hearing hints of awesomeness from those who have seen him play.
    Tommy Connor is really excited for this kid.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

There will be one player who lights it up, Ute Nation will proclaim him the next All-Time Great, but that will be his primary highlight for the season. Two years ago, it was Justin Seymour. Last year, it was Ken Ogbe. My money this year is on Poeltl.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    There will be one player who lights it up, Ute Nation will proclaim him the next All-Time Great, but that will be his primary highlight for the season. Two years ago, it was Justin Seymour. Last year, it was Ken Ogbe. My money this year is on Poeltl.
    I propose that we call this the "Renan Lenz Award".

I propose that we call this the "Renan Lenz Award".
    What about Nate Altoff? He was going to be the next Doleac.

I have very little information on Poeltl so I can't disagree or agree with you. Why do you think so?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I'm really to see how the wing/forward rotations look. Utah needs another shooter besides Taylor to emerge as a consistent threat. Will Loveridge shoot well enough to stay on the court at the 3 for 30 minutes a game? How much of a factor will Ogbe and Tucker be, will either break into the 25+ minutes a night range or are they bit players? And what of Kuzma and Chapman? I am confident that D. Wright and Taylor will play a lot and the center position will be a three headed monster. What happens in between in still a mystery. Loveridge, Reyes and Kuzma get a fair amount of minutes but at what positions and who emerges to take the bulk of those minutes and who else gets role player minutes is all up in the air.

Tomorrow night won't provide anything remotely resembling a definitive answer to any of this but I'm still eager to see the direction this is trending early in the season.

Phil Cullen posted the rosters for tonights game.

White:
    Delon
    Ogbe
    Loveridge
    Chapman
    Poeltl
    Bach
    Winder
    Eastman

Red:
    Isaiah
    Taylor
    Tucker
    Reyes
    Olsen
    Kuzma
    Connor

Interesting way to divide them up.........

Phil Cullen posted the rosters for tonights game.

White:
    Delon
    Ogbe
    Loveridge
    Chapman
    Poeltl
    Bach
    Winder
    Eastman

Red:
    Isaiah
    Taylor
    Tucker
    Reyes
    Olsen
    Kuzma
    Connor

Interesting way to divide them up.........
    Why isnt the scrimmage on the pac12 network?
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Is there a chance they will at least record the game/scrimmage and offer it on the website? The Arizona Blue/Red game was broadcast on PAC network.

Utah athletics twitter said that they planned to stream the game tonight
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Utah athletics twitter said that they planned to stream the game tonight
    Very cool!

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I have very little information on Poeltl so I can't disagree or agree with you. Why do you think so?
    Because what's Poeltl has gone up against in Austria is nowhere near what he'll see in the Pac-12. We need defense and rebounding from our 5; we can get scoring from a lot of other places, and he's not going to take minutes away from Bach in that regard. Olsen could be another story, but I won't believe it until I see it.

Watching the video-streaming of Utes scrimmage ...AOL from 2000's called and wants its dial-up quality back. LOL

- Jlove outside shots looks terrific.
    - Bach's offense still isn't good.
    - Poeltl has pretty good feet, but is still learning the game. He's athletic.
    - Reyes looks ok so far and is active around the rim.
    Last edited by justaute; 10-21-2014 at 08:08 PM.

We now have a big guy who can catch the ball off the bounce, in transition -- Poeltl.

Just a couple thoughts. Loveridge, Poeltl, and Isaiah all stood out to me.

But tonight reminded me why i love being a utes fan. Some of my best memories are of being with my Dad at the huntsman. My oldest is three and a half and he loved it. And it was just really neat to be there and to start making memories with him . Reminded me that win, lose, or draw, i really am blessed in my life.

Because what's Poeltl has gone up against in Austria is nowhere near what he'll see in the Pac-12. We need defense and rebounding from our 5; we can get scoring from a lot of other places, and he's not going to take minutes away from Bach in that regard. Olsen could be another story, but I won't believe it until I see it.
    I'm hopeful. Arizona offered him, IIRC, so we weren't the only ones after him.

--Yeats

I couldn't watch the live stream. What are the reports from everyone who got to see it?

--Yeats

From my untrained eye in section Z, row 6.

Delon was just playing around out there. He had some good (for him) passes and some bad. He drove the lane for buckets a few times, and and hit an open 3. At one point while driving the lane, he did a leaping between the legs dribble that made everyone go "Ooooh", but it didn't really accomplish anything.

Jordan Loveridge was active, and made a lot of jumpers. His shot was really good tonight. I think the 3 will be a good change for him.

I was was impressed with Isaiah Wright. Very composed for a true freshman. Wasn't afraid to shoot from outside and he hit most of them. Taylor seemed about the same. Maybe a little more quick and aggressive.

Poeltl looked like the best big to me. Bach and Olsen looked about the same as last year.

Reyes hit a few from outside. He seemed a bit overwhelmed inside with all the height in there.

Brekkot got to the line a few times. He, Kuzma, Tucker, and Ogbe didn't do a lot that I noticed except make a few turnovers.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post

Brekkot got to the line a few times. He, Kuzma, Tucker, and Ogbe didn't do a lot that I noticed except make a few turnovers.
    I thought Ogbe looked pretty good (and I thought he might be even a bit taller this year). You can see Kuzma and Brekkot have incredibly high ceilings, even if it wasn't completely clicking tonight.

Each year this team looks more and more like the elite teams out there just from a visual standpoint, meaning each year they get bigger, longer, and more athletic. The team tonight reminded me a bit of a Boeheim-type team, at least from a physical standpoint. Height, length, and athleticism all over the floor, especially when Delon is at the point.