Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Insert Dirty Beaver Joke Here. The 2014 OSU thread.

Insert Dirty Beaver Joke Here. The 2014 OSU thread.

I thought our bye weeks were oddly timed when I first saw the schedule, but now I'm glad we have one. Hopefully Carter and Paul are back. What's Whittingham's status for that?

OSU is 4-1 coming off a shootout win at CU. Mannion is till Mannion, but Cooks is gone. Go Utes! Here's to over .500 in Pac-12 play!

The standard OSU thread title should always channel The Naked Gun: "Thanks, I Just Had it Stuffed."
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I prefer clean beavers (as opposed to dirty, stinky, filthy, filthy, filthy beavers), but whatever.

If Tim Patrick doesn't get more passes thrown his direction, then perhaps he can at least teach the rest of the receivers how to hang on. He almost has Ben Cahoon hands.

Do we go faster/quicker vs the Beavs? Could McLellon obliterate them on a touch pass sweep? Will KT find ways to get the DC Oh-fense train up to full speed?

Mannion is still nails and can still hit a dime 40 yards downfield. If we put him on his back 5+ times, especially if they are coverage sacks, then I like our chances.
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 10-05-2014 at 12:32 PM.

pound the beaves! what's the word on Paul, Carter, Wilson/Thompson?

I was hoping for "Utes go fast and hard on the Beavers".

Last edited by LA Ute; 10-05-2014 at 11:36 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Obviously I would like our chances better at home than are Reser, but we have played them tough the last few years & they were simply the better team. These are not the same Beavers we saw last year. I think our defense is going to benefit more from the extra time than their defense. We stuff the run & sack Mannion 4-5 times. They struggle with dual threat QBs. We combine for 200+ yards rushing from Kendal & Booker and throw for an additional 250.

The game will be a much lower scoring affair than last year. Each team will score between 20-30 points.
    "This isn't a gentlemen's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football, it's a physical game." - Tony Bergstrom

Oregon State knows it has to prepare for both Kendal and Travis. Should be interesting. Here's the Oregonian's OSU beat writer:

Utah quarterback situation undecided: Oregon State Beavers rundown

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Sounds like the fans from opposing teams are giving Kendal Thompson some love. I have to ask, have I been too hard on him?

Quote Originally Posted by ute4eva View Post
    Sounds like the fans from opposing teams are giving Kendal Thompson some love. I have to ask, have I been too hard on him?
    I don't think we have seen enough from him to know what he can actually do. A full game on the road against OSU is just what the doctor ordered. I'm predicting he will have another close to or more than 100 yard rushing game & around 250 passing. Solid performance.
    "This isn't a gentlemen's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football, it's a physical game." - Tony Bergstrom

Okay. Let's put this no. 20/23 ranking to good use and win this game while getting our offense back on track.

Reading the quotes (KT only) in the paper, it's pretty obvious that Travis is now the back up.

KT is more dangerous right now. Period. But I am still happy that TW and KT will both be here next year.

I thought thompson was a senior with one year to play one?

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Nope. He's a junior.

He's already graduated from OU, which is why he's eligible to play immediately. During those three OU years, he redshirted, sat the bench, and was injured.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Nope. He's a junior.
    Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    He's already graduated from OU, which is why he's eligible to play immediately. During those three OU years, he redshirted, sat the bench, and was injured.
    Oh that's great news!

I'm still loving that fake pass / spin move over and over.

I am responding to my inner pessimist who lived through the 70s and 80s (not the mention the 90s and the first 3 PAC-12 years). I am thinking that we should tap the brakes just a bit until after the OSU game before we get too excited about bowl games and the like.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I am responding to my inner pessimist who lived through the 70s and 80s (not the mention the 90s and the first 3 PAC-12 years). I am thinking that we should tap the brakes just a bit until after the OSU game before we get too excited about bowl games and the like.
    I'm with you. My fear is that OSU has had the time to dissect the tape. An advantage UCLA didn't have.

No excuse not to win this game. Even with Mannion, OSU is mediocre on offense and hasn't shown much in way of big-play capability this year. There's a reason why they're 9th nationally in TOP, but 98th in first downs and 78th in scoring. OSU does do a very good job of getting its defense off the field, as its 23rd nationally in third-down defense and 10th in pass efficiency defense. That's also come against the 95th SOS, per Sagarin. It's OSU's home league opener and we can make mistakes that can let OSU win this. But if we play a clean game, we win by a TD.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    No excuse not to win this game. Even with Mannion, OSU is mediocre on offense and hasn't shown much in way of big-play capability this year. There's a reason why they're 9th nationally in TOP, but 98th in first downs and 78th in scoring. OSU does do a very good job of getting its defense off the field, as its 23rd nationally in third-down defense and 10th in pass efficiency defense. That's also come against the 95th SOS, per Sagarin. It's OSU's home league opener and we can make mistakes that can let OSU win this. But if we play a clean game, we win by a TD.
    I think this will be a tight game. We are better than OSU, but they play a game that gives us fits. The gunslingers of this conference always challenge our D, and I think they make Kyle play a little conservative with the offense. The real question will be whether OSU's D can get Thompson off the field quickly. If they do, I think we're in trouble. If Thompson and DevBook can move the chains, we'll be golden.

The health of Carter and our LB's is key.

At the risk of over-simplifying, I think we win if we make Mannion uncomfortable in the pocket like we did with Hundley (and we didn't with Halliday). I am sure Kalani learned a lot from the last two games and that we will mostly rush 4 (with occasional blitzes if we can get away with them). Of course the DBs and LBs have to keep their assignments too so Mannion can't dump off quick passes to get out of trouble.

--Yeats

Utah by 10. When are you folks going to get in the bus? !?!!???!?
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Utah by 10. When are you folks going to get in the bus? !?!!???!?
    As soon as we are above .500 in pac12 play for the first time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I'm conflicted about this game. On the one hand, at 4-1 (1-1), it is hard to call it a "must" win. On the other hand, given the schedule we face upcoming beyond this game, and the potential for it to go down hill quickly, so it still feels like a must win.

I believe that IF we can get this one, it is going to give us a ton of momentum heading into a game against USC where we have an extra day or two to prepare.

The good news (versus the last two years) is I think that we are better at several positions, and ultimately that will be the difference between what we've done over the last two years and what we have the potential to do this season.

Goes without saying, but we're going to have to pressure Manion all day long and not let him sit and pick apart our defense, and ride Booker all the way.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Not intending to inflict any pain here, just reminding us all of how far we have come. I don't see this kind of thing happening this year:

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Not intending to inflict any pain here, just reminding us all of how far we have come. I don't see this kind of thing happening this year:

it won't happen because we wont be wearing black pants

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    it won't happen because we wont be wearing black pants
    Nope. Not with those shoes the equipment folks tweeted out today

Interesting stat and one of the big keys to the game from the Pac 12 blog:

When Utah picks up the initial first down of a drive, it scores 59.5 percent of the time, second-best in the Pac-12 behind Oregon. The Utes have scored on 41.2 percent of all drive this year.