Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bring on the Trojans, Myth's most gullible losers: Oct. 25, 2014

With all the talk about how good the defense is and how bad the offense is, wouldn't it be a Utah thing for the offense to come out and put up big numbers and the defense falls flat on its face? Game ends up being a shootout like the OSU game last year, only this time we win.

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaUte View Post
    Not sure about that last part about dirt though...haha
    The classic answer would've been "tears and regret."

Quote Originally Posted by EutawStUtesFan View Post
    With all the talk about how good the defense is and how bad the offense is, wouldn't it be a Utah thing for the offense to come out and put up big numbers and the defense falls flat on its face? Game ends up being a shootout like the OSU game last year, only this time we win.
    As long as we win, I don't care if it is 61-59 or 3-0.

Although, seeing the offense come out and put up numbers would be great to see because you know the D, for the most part, will be right most games. It would give the offense some confidence, which is the biggest problem IMO (the QB carousel doesn't help either).

Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post
    2. I went to the first game at Southern Cal three years ago, and it was completely rad. Great fans, awesome environment, seven freaking Heisman Trophies, dumpy but remarkably impressive venue. Southern Cal is probably the only other team in the south that I don't hate with the white hot fire of the muffler on a school bus. With Sarkisian there, I am heading that way, but they are currently my least hated common divisioner.
    Ute fans should be united in a "If not us, then USC" attitude. USC the one rock solid constant in the division. They will always either be good or be a new coach away from being good. That will not be changing. If we can't win the division, it is better for USC to win it than for Arizona, ASU, or UCLA to get a bunch of momentum by winning it. Even if USC has a few bad seasons in a row, they will still clean up the west in recruiting. But if ASU has a few bad seasons, their recruiting will drop off accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    [Warning: Negativity]

I'm petrified about the game on Saturday. People are talking Utah up; the game is a pick-em in Vegas; there is talk of Utah being the most complete team in the South, etc. All of that bodes poorly for us.

Kyle's teams perform their best as underdogs. He leverages the "no one believes in us" mantra better than any coach we've ever had at Utah. All the big wins of his tenure (Stanford 13, UCLA 14, Alabama 08-09, TCU 08, etc) we were slaying giants. Kyle gets his defense to fly around like crazy people to prove a point - that we're as good as the other team.

So now people are saying that we're as good as USC. The problem is, USC is the most talented team in the South by a mile. We've survived six games with poor QB play because of the strength of our special teams, defense, and run game, in that order. I don't know if that will be enough against the Trojans. Travis needs to step up and play the game of his life on Saturday for us to win.
    For once I agree with your pessimism. I'm seeing all these people pick Utah and asking myself what I'm missing. I don't normally follow fans' penchant for keeping their own expectations low to reduce the sting of losing, but if we win Saturday I'll be stunned. For the simple reason that USC has a great deal more thoroughbreds (do we have any?). Also, Sarkisian may not be any Urban Meyer but he's a pretty good coach who actually plays better when he's not an underdog.

I think we win only if the Utes come out and play with total abandon, like the first time Whit was against BYU as a head coach, or against Alabama, and the stars line up. This has to be the week we start looking like a team of destiny, like the Royals. This game has to end with us pinching ourselves.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    For once I agree with your pessimism. I'm seeing all these people pick Utah and asking myself what I'm missing. I don't normally follow fans' penchant for keeping their own expectations low to reduce the sting of losing, but if we win Saturday I'll be stunned. For the simple reason that USC has a great deal more thoroughbreds (do we have any?). Also, Sarkisian may not be any Urban Meyer but he's a pretty good coach who actually plays better when he's not an underdog.

I think we win only if the Utes come out and play with total abandon, like the first time Whit was against BYU as a head coach, or against Alabama, and the stars line up. This has to be the week we start looking like a team of destiny, like the Royals. This game has to end with us pinching ourselves.
    Pessimism!

Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post
    I freaking love being a Utah fan. I don't think I know a single fan who is entirely comfortable with claiming that Utah will definitely be bowl eligible. We've got to be the only fanbase in the top 20 who is still quietly wondering if our HC will get canned this year.

Woah, that sentiment is so 3 weeks ago.

I can comfortably say the Utes will absolutely play in a bowl game this year, and Whittingham will be back next year. Take that to the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post

I can comfortably say the Utes will absolutely play in a bowl game this year, and Whittingham will be back next year. Take that to the bank.
    utefan is clearly of the younger generation.

I have basically been worthless at work today because I am so geeked for the game tomorrow night. It can't come quick enough.

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post

Per chance were you a Ute fan back in 2005 when Utah, down by 4, had a 1st and goal on the CSU 4 yard line, with a minute left? You know, pretty much the perfect situation to put the game away? Yeah, the typical Ute is like a pessimistic version of Lloyd Christmas: "so you're telling me there's a chance (that we lose out)?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    I have basically been worthless at work today because I am so geeked for the game tomorrow night. It can't come quick enough.
    I agree. I should have just stayed home today and painted my fingernails red and white. I must have googled some version of "Utah football/USC football/Pac-12 football/Sugar Bowl/Is Kanye West Getting Divorced" 2,000 times today.

ESPN's pre-game breakdown, USC at Utah. "Adam Rittenberg looks at what to expect out of the matchup between No. 20 USC and No. 19 Utah this weekend."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    Per chance were you a Ute fan back in 2005 when Utah, down by 4, had a 1st and goal on the CSU 4 yard line, with a minute left? You know, pretty much the perfect situation to put the game away? Yeah, the typical Ute is like a pessimistic version of Lloyd Christmas: "so you're telling me there's a chance (that we lose out)?!?"
    Yes I was. So frustrating!

Still, there is no way Utah loses out. Worst case scenario, Colorado is still on the schedule. Although I'm confident bowl eligibility will be clinched long before that game (like tomorrow).

Banned
    Five reasons USC will lose at Utah.

http://www.conquestchronicles.com/20...lose-utah-utes

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Five reasons USC will lose at Utah.

http://www.conquestchronicles.com/20...lose-utah-utes
    I hope he's right.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Chris Cooley picked the Utes on his radio show. When captain chaos is on your side, you're doing something right!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I have no idea which team will win. However, if our passing offense can't provide at least a "mediocre" performance, I believe we will lose.

3. Due to my experience at Southern Cal, I equate their entire fanbase with Lucille Bluth.
    A +

Feature on Andy Phillips on college game day today.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Any idea what time?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Any idea what time?
    845 to 915 mountain I believe.

Utah said they'd post the Video later as well

Great coverage on Gameday this morning. The future on Phillips was nice, and they had about three or four minutes devoted to the game.obviously nobody said anything nice about the offense, but they weren't completely negative about Utah's offensive chances today. Special teams and defense got a lot of love, and I believe the final tally on the picks for this game was 2-2.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Great coverage on Gameday this morning. The future on Phillips was nice, and they had about three or four minutes devoted to the game.obviously nobody said anything nice about the offense, but they weren't completely negative about Utah's offensive chances today. Special teams and defense got a lot of love, and I believe the final tally on the picks for this game was 2-2.
    And we landed one of the Duck Dynasty guys too

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    And we landed one of the Duck Dynasty guys too
    U-(dun, dun, dun)
    T-(dun, dun, dun)
    A-(dun, dun, dun)
    H-(dun, dun, dun)

U-(dun)
    T-(dun)
    A-(dun)
    H-(dun)

U
    T
    A
    H

Fight
    Fight
    Fight!

Quote Originally Posted by applejack View Post
    u-(dun, dun, dun)
    t-(dun, dun, dun)
    a-(dun, dun, dun)
    h-(dun, dun, dun)

u-(dun)
    t-(dun)
    a-(dun)
    h-(dun)

u
    t
    a
    h

fight
    fight
    fight!
    yes yes yes!!!!!!!!!

Go utes!!!!!!

I'm so ready for this game to start.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    I'm so ready for this game to start.
    I'm actually going to try something crazy - going to sleep and then watching it tomorrow. I just can't handle another 2:00 AM finish.

Here's the plan:

1. Read a few pages from a fine novel, sip some hot tea, put on my robe, and climb into bed at a reasonable hour.
    2. Wake up, go to church (lame), avoid everyone who might mention the game.
    3. Come home, have an enjoyable lunch.
    4. Have my wife pull up the game on Pac-12.com (this is key - I've found there is no way to load it myself without seeing the final score).
    5. Go crazy as Utah beats USC at 3:00 PM ET on Sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I'm actually going to try something crazy - going to sleep and then watching it tomorrow. I just can't handle another 2:00 AM finish.

Here's the plan:

1. Read a few pages from a fine novel, sip some hot tea, put on my robe, and climb into bed at a reasonable hour.
    2. Wake up, go to church (lame), avoid everyone who might mention the game.
    3. Come home, have an enjoyable lunch.
    4. Have my wife pull up the game on Pac-12.com (this is key - I've found there is no way to load it myself without seeing the final score).
    5. Go crazy as Utah beats USC at 3:00 PM ET on Sunday!
    Good luck. I'd give up after sipping tea.

One thing that has struck me while watching all the build up to the game is how much respect Kyle has nationally.