Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bring on the Trojans, Myth's most gullible losers: Oct. 25, 2014

Bring on the Trojans, Myth's most gullible losers: Oct. 25, 2014

Sorry for the uncreative title. Have at it!

For starters here is the LA Times story on yesterday's USC rout of Colorado. Utah is prominently mentioned:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la...-latimessports
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-19-2014 at 09:15 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Sorry for the uncreative title. Have at it!

For starters here is the LA Times story on yesterday's USC rout of Colorado. Utah is prominently mentioned:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la...-latimessports
    Running booker 30+ times and a slew of five yard passes simply wont cut it this week. We need everybodys A game, and i hope we bring it. I feel like we owe these guys.

I watched the Pac 12 postgame yesterday. They made a couple of points that gives me hope we can make it competitive: 1. Colo does not have Pac 12 personnel. It will take a couple of years. Kessler wont get the time to make the passes against us that he got against the Buffs. Their game yesterday not indicative of our game. 2. Neuhisal emphasized that USC's defense is depleted, and was on the field a lot yesterday (Colo. ran a lot of plays, b/c USC had few sustained drives; all big plays). Will make a difference in the 4th quarter at altitude. Look at Stanford last year.

Obviously we have to have a semblance of a passing attack or we will get crushed. There were so many good passing attacks on display yesterday; I just cant get over the fact that we never seem to have one.

Nothing better could have happened for this Utah team than USC thrashing Colorado the way they did. I'm sure it got everyone's attention (not that they didn't before). The players know now that they will have to leave everything they have not he field this saturday if they hope to beat USC. Utah can win this game, but they have to play good football on both sides of the ball & have some help from the special teams.

I haven't gone into a game this season yet thinking Utah will probably lose, not even the UCLA game, but this game scares the crap out of me. Utah can win, but it is just as likely Utah gets blown out of their own stadium.

The offense needs to step it up period. If they have a showing like they did on thursday, despite how great the Utah defense plays, we lose.
    "This isn't a gentlemen's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football, it's a physical game." - Tony Bergstrom

This will be an interesting game.

(I figured we'd see Wilson again, as the Oregon State coaches figured out how to address Thompson, and I think their defense is better than most know, because all the attention is on Mannion. PAC coaches are good enough to take away multiple options.)

Halfway through the season, now is the time for the offense to make some serious strides, get things put together. Booker may have 100 yards against SC, but not much more. We need to get the throw game going. We've definitely underperformed offensively, and I think the ingredients are there for a break out performance.

Here's the great thing, for us: We're waaaaay ahead of schedule, this year. The expectations monster is completely tamed, at the moment.

The fans can go bananas for the blackout, and no matter what happens, it will be another chance to get back on the horse next week.

Life in the PAC is awesome.

I thought CU played poorly - under their talent level - and the Trojans got an easy sugar high. They've had setbacks this year, so if we jump on them early next Saturday night, we might see them sag a little. I haven't seen the killer instinct from USC, not in Sarkesian's first year. Arizona State and Boston College took care of that issue.

John Pease made an interesting point on the post-game Ute React show (I listened to the podcast yesterday). He looks at the 4th quarter of our last three games and sees:

WSU: 80-yard touchdown strike by the opponent. (I am not sure about any of these distances; they're not the point.)

UCLA: 95-yard touchdown strike by the opponent.

OSU: 70-yard touchdown strike by the opponent.

All of these plays put each game in jeopardy, and against WSU that pass was the game-winner. I just wonder what to make of these breakdowns? Is there a pattern here, or just coincidence or the way things go in P5 football games? USC is a big-play machine. I'm sure this is something Whit and Kalani are thinking about.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

If our offense is clicking them those big plays don't matter because we are matching scores and pulling aheadrather then scrapping out a win. If we keep our defense off the field for some rest, and our offense puts a points, and then I think we are ready to make a run at the conference title. Until that happens we are going to lose a few more games that we otherwise can win.

The receivers need a code red. Think of the movie a few good men where they talk about someone dropping the rifle where the rest of the company smears their hands with pine tar so it doesn't happen again. I'm not advocating violence obviously, but this receiving corps who's got to get out of this funk. Some kind of leaderleader needs to step up, and still coffee is back in her quarterbacks and receivers, and let them know it's okay to play with passion, excitement, desire.

I read what Nick Sabin told his team yesterday-go out and have fun playing football. Our offense, other than Booker, seems to have completely forgottenthat they can have fun playing football.

We beat USC if we go out and our offense has fun. We know the defense will show, and they will put on a great performance. But, USC is going to get at least one big play on us. That seems to happen. Our offense needs to respond in kind.

Wow, this seems scarily generous. ESPN has Utah at #2 in its weekly power rankings, one spot behind the Utes:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_...kings-week-8-3
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-19-2014 at 12:42 PM.

--Yeats

Wow, this seems scarily generous. ESPN has Utah at #2 in its weekly power rankings, one spot behind the Utes:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_...kings-week-8-3
    I saw that. Seems like we are around 5.

John Pease made an interesting point on the post-game Ute React show (I listened to the podcast yesterday). He looks at the 4th quarter of our last three games and sees:

WSU: 80-yard touchdown strike by the opponent. (I am not sure about any of these distances; they're not the point.)

UCLA: 95-yard touchdown strike by the opponent.

OSU: 70-yard touchdown strike by the opponent.

All of these plays put each game in jeopardy, and against WSU that pass was the game-winner. I just wonder what to make of these breakdowns? Is there a pattern here, or just coincidence or the way things go in P5 football games? USC is a big-play machine. I'm sure this is something Whit and Kalani are thinking about.
    What I take away from this is:

All three teams were playing down, in the 4th Qtr, and desperate for a score. None of those teams had been throwing the ball effectively against Utah's defense (with maybe exception to WSU) so Utah was playing close to the line of scrimmage. On the WSU bomb, the DB slipped and fell because of the wet surface, just an unfortunate happenstance. On the UCLA TD, Utah had them pinned back & the defense had been lights out so far(especially with UCLA's back up against their own EndZone, see three consecutive sacks on the previous drive) The play itself was a brilliant call & a beautifully executed wheel route that caught the defense off guard. The Oregon State TD was actually covered perfectly by Hatfield. Hatfield would have been able to go up & make a play on the ball. Blechen came over and cut off Hatfield & made a horrible play on the ball leading to the score. Not to mention the pass & catch were fantastic. Utah plays an aggressive style of defense, big plays will happen, especially in the PAC12.

I really don't think it is an issue. Three big plays against a battered/young secondary that is clearly the weakest part of the defense, but they have played well enough.

USC is a monster on big plays. They're explosive and I'm worried that if Tevin Carter isn't healthy they will make some big plays that is the difference in the game.
    "This isn't a gentlemen's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football, it's a physical game." - Tony Bergstrom

In addition:
    (1) as a result of offense's ineffectiveness, sans Booker, defense spent a lot of time on the field.
    (2) if the front-7 gets tired and rush/attack becomes less effective, our secondary gets picked-on even more. Our secondary is already an average unit, at best.

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaUte View Post
    What I take away from this is:

All three teams were playing down, in the 4th Qtr, and desperate for a score. None of those teams had been throwing the ball effectively against Utah's defense (with maybe exception to WSU) so Utah was playing close to the line of scrimmage. On the WSU bomb, the DB slipped and fell because of the wet surface, just an unfortunate happenstance. On the UCLA TD, Utah had them pinned back & the defense had been lights out so far(especially with UCLA's back up against their own EndZone, see three consecutive sacks on the previous drive) The play itself was a brilliant call & a beautifully executed wheel route that caught the defense off guard. The Oregon State TD was actually covered perfectly by Hatfield. Hatfield would have been able to go up & make a play on the ball. Blechen came over and cut off Hatfield & made a horrible play on the ball leading to the score. Not to mention the pass & catch were fantastic. Utah plays an aggressive style of defense, big plays will happen, especially in the PAC12.

I really don't think it is an issue. Three big plays against a battered/young secondary that is clearly the weakest part of the defense, but they have played well enough.

USC is a monster on big plays. They're explosive and I'm worried that if Tevin Carter isn't healthy they will make some big plays that is the difference in the game.

Utah plays an aggressive style of defense, big plays will happen
    I think this is accurate. We will give up some big plays. We've decided the risk is worth it for the ability to shut down the run. I can't complain about the results.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Our secondary is already an average unit, at best.
    This is too harsh. We have an above average pass defense in the Pac-12. There's Stanford at #1, and then Utah, OSU, USC, and UW in some order. It's always hard to tell how much of that is due to the pass rush and how much to the secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    I saw that. Seems like we are around 5.
    With all due respect to you and L.A., your sentiments on this matter are self-loathing horseshit at its finest. While I find the idea of power rankings in the NFL an absolute disgusting waste of time, they kinda still have some meaning in the college game. Now, ask yourself this: "If we had beaten Wazzu, would we be viewed as the top team in the Pac-12?" I think the answer here is an unquestionable yes.

As it stands, we're two points from being undefeated. And that thin of a margin makes us the No. 5 team in the Pac-12 in terms of resume and/or ability?

The idea that we're not the second-best team in the Pac-12 right now is crafted from the same mindset we faced in the MWC. "Oh, Utah doesn't play a tough schedule, so they can't possibly be as good as Florida, USC, etc." Time to let it go and enjoy the platitudes. It might be a lot different at season's end, and certainly the ASU game is a huge red flag for me personally. I know we have major issues in the passing game that could be the difference in going 6-6 or 11-1. But we rush the passer better and play special teams better than any in the country. We've earned what people are saying about us. Please stop pretending otherwise. We might actually be pretty damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think this is accurate. We will give up some big plays. We've decided the risk is worth it for the ability to shut down the run. I can't complain about the results.
    That doesn't sound like "bend but don't break," especially in close games when the U. offense is less than explosive.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    We've earned what people are saying about us. Please stop pretending otherwise. We might actually be pretty damn good.
    Sure, lets enjoy it while it lasts. But, based on my eye test, I would have USC and ASU ahead of us. Maybe Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Sure, lets enjoy it while it lasts. But, based on my eye test, I would have USC and ASU ahead of us. Maybe Arizona.

Our offense is anemic. It doesn't pass the eye test, It has nothing to do with a MWC outlook. If we beat USC I will believe, and gladly eat crow. I would not have Arizona ahead of us, since their defense has gotten torched, and it is a home game. I would have Oregon way, way ahead of us of course.

Got to say, I can certainly enjoy what people are saying about the Utes. I even feel incredibly optimistic about this team. But, until we can get the quarterback and wide receiver or issues straightened out, we feel like a top 5 team overall.

A team with a top 2 defense in all phases, a top 2 special teams in all phases, a top 2 running team, but we are a bottom 2 passing team. We don't feel like a top 2 team in the conference, but we are so close.

I understand being cautiously optimistic because of how Utah's offense, particularly the passing game, has performed. However, lets not assume/pretend that ASU/USC/Arizona are not without their own problems. ASU has one of it not the worst defenses in the league. Arizona's offense wilted against a USC defense that gave up 452 yards rushing to Boston College. The point is there may not be a team in the PAC12 the is complete in all three phases of the game let alone a team that is unbeatable.

Every team has its strengths and weakness because of the diversity in styles of play in the PAC12. Teams match up against each other from week to week very differently.

Utah didn't just stumble its way into the top 25. Utah earned it. Lets enjoy it.
    Last edited by SigmaUte; 10-19-2014 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    We've earned what people are saying about us.... We might actually be pretty damn good.
    Agreed. That's my hope, anyway. I'm just spitballin' here about what's happening, what are the Utes' strengths and weaknesses, etc. I.e., I'm being a fan, and I'm hoping for a special season. I've gotta say, I've had more fun as a Utah fan the last four seasons than I've ever had in my life.

--Yeats

I've had more fun as a Utah fan the last four seasons than I've ever had in my life.
    This, a thousand times this. Its an emotional roller coaster ride.

Ditto. This year has a great feel to it. I am looking forward to these last 6 games and excited for each Saturday to get here. USC, oregon, asu arizona and stanford are all teams we can beat.

I'll be at Stanford.

Ditto. This year has a great feel to it. I am looking forward to these last 6 games and excited for each Saturday to get here. USC, oregon, asu arizona and stanford are all teams we can beat.

I'll be at Stanford.
    Who would have thought that Stanford is looking like the easiest of those games.

This, a thousand times this. Its an emotional roller coaster ride.
    I cant wait for Saturday nights game. Haven't been this excited for a game in a long time. I better not be diapointed.

I'll be at Stanford.
    Me too. We are taking our kids for the weekend. Should be a fun game.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

I'll be at Stanford.
    Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Me too. We are taking our kids for the weekend. Should be a fun game.
    We will be there with both brothers and sil's
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Oh awesome! I'm not sure where we are sitting yet but I'll come by and say howdy.

LAUte needs to prove himself and come up to the farm for this game.

LAUte needs to prove himself and come up to the farm for this game.
    If it is a day game I'm there. A night game is tougher because I have, um, Sunday duties.

--Yeats

If it is a day game I'm there. A night game is tougher because I have, um, Sunday duties.
    We will keep our fingers crossed. I'm hoping for an afternoon kick as well.