Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bring on the Trojans, Myth's most gullible losers: Oct. 25, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    If it is a day game I'm there. A night game is tougher because I have, um, Sunday duties.
    I have Sunday duties as well. I'm still going.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Duties are sometimes meant to be neglected or delegates or put off.

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    I have Sunday duties as well. I'm still going.
    I'm thinking about it. You're not helping.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Easiest solution, don't have Sunday Duties.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

If it is a day game I'm there. A night game is tougher because I have, um, Sunday duties.
    Delegate them to your friendly neighborhood byu fan. They wont have anything more important to do, and frankly acting in a leadership role is all they have left.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Easiest solution, don't have Sunday Duties.
    Even less helpful than hostile. NWUF is starting to make some sense, however.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Back to football. Does anyone have any insight or info as to why Clay isn't getting playing time?

--Yeats

Line opens at Pick'em, now USC -1.5.

The totals are not out for this game, but I'd take even money that our game will have the lowest number posted for this week's games. I'll be surprised if the total gets to 50.

Interesting note: Given the success road teams have had in the Pac-12 this year, the only home favorite this week is Stanford (-14 vs. OSU). If home teams can even pull off a winning record this week, Utah being among them, we take outright control of the South.

Even less helpful than hostile. NWUF is starting to make some sense, however.

Aren't you delegating this week? How many delegations do you get without being derelict?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Aren't you delegating this week? How many delegations do you get without being derelict?
    You have identified the issue, Grasshopper.

--Yeats

Geeze, talk about messed up priorities. (c:

I'll be up until 2AM Eastern, or whenever it ends, regardless.
    My sunbeam class will just have to put up with a sleepy teacher. And a sleepy grumpy teacher if the game ends poorly.
    But it wont, so just a sleepy fellow.
    Last edited by Brian; 10-20-2014 at 11:42 AM.

Oh no. Now we've got Wilner believing in us.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/college...in/#more-37390
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Back to football. Does anyone have any insight or info as to why Clay isn't getting playing time?
    Did I miss something? Seems he is getting plenty of playing time. Just not getting targeted a lot because we don't throw the ball much and when we do we are trying to force feed it to Dres (at least KT was at OSU). Clay drew a pass interference in the first half on a horribly thrown prayer.

Not sure about the altitude part. The last time two ranked teams met in SLC, it wasn't pretty -- for the Utes. TCU had no problems with altitude; though, it probably had better depth.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Did I miss something? Seems he is getting plenty of playing time. Just not getting targeted a lot because we don't throw the ball much and when we do we are trying to force feed it to Dres (at least KT was at OSU). Clay drew a pass interference in the first half on a horribly thrown prayer.
    LOL. I guess he's been so invisible that I didn't notice he was even on the field. My theory was that Dres gets so many throws because he's fast enough to get separation and others are not, Clay certainly is fast enough. Maybe he runs routes poorly.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Line opens at Pick'em, now USC -1.5.

The totals are not out for this game, but I'd take even money that our game will have the lowest number posted for this week's games. I'll be surprised if the total gets to 50.

Interesting note: Given the success road teams have had in the Pac-12 this year, the only home favorite this week is Stanford (-14 vs. OSU). If home teams can even pull off a winning record this week, Utah being among them, we take outright control of the South.
    I am going to go out on a limb and say that the Stanford-Utah total will be 18 points.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I am going to go out on a limb and say that the Stanford-Utah total will be 18 points.
    That's two Andy Phillips FGs and 6 safeties, right?

John Pease made an interesting point on the post-game Ute React show (I listened to the podcast yesterday). He looks at the 4th quarter of our last three games and sees:

WSU: 80-yard touchdown strike by the opponent. (I am not sure about any of these distances; they're not the point.)

UCLA: 95-yard touchdown strike by the opponent.

OSU: 70-yard touchdown strike by the opponent.

All of these plays put each game in jeopardy, and against WSU that pass was the game-winner. I just wonder what to make of these breakdowns? Is there a pattern here, or just coincidence or the way things go in P5 football games? USC is a big-play machine. I'm sure this is something Whit and Kalani are thinking about.
    I don't think this trend is worrying, by itself. The OSU touchdown was (a) a beautifully thrown ball, (b) an excellent catch against (c) great coverage (Domo was in perfect position and Blechen got there in time as well). Unfortunately, Blechen knocked Domo off stride and let the receiver get away. Blechen probably should have gone for the big hit instead of the ball, but hindsight is 20/20. (P.S. Domo played really well, on Thursday, but OSU made plays; that fourth down touchdown in the first OT was great coverage, but Mannion put the ball in a tiny spot and the receiver made a great play).

The UCLA touchdown was a breakdown by a true freshman safety playing his first significant college minutes. Godfrey had a good game other than that miscue.

I don't remember the specifics of WSU, but against WSU you can't leave your defense on the field all game long.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I don't think this trend is worrying, by itself. The OSU touchdown was (a) a beautifully thrown ball, (b) an excellent catch against (c) great coverage (Domo was in perfect position and Blechen got there in time as well). Unfortunately, Blechen knocked Domo off stride and let the receiver get away. Blechen probably should have gone for the big hit instead of the ball, but hindsight is 20/20. (P.S. Domo played really well, on Thursday, but OSU made plays; that fourth down touchdown in the first OT was great coverage, but Mannion put the ball in a tiny spot and the receiver made a great play).

The UCLA touchdown was a breakdown by a true freshman safety playing his first significant college minutes. Godfrey had a good game other than that miscue.

I don't remember the specifics of WSU, but against WSU you can't leave your defense on the field all game long.
    If you watch the replay Blechen was trying to yell something, with his mouth piece in his hand at the snap. He was late getting into the play, and that likely caused his angle to be poor. If he's ready when the ball is snapped he's likely coming into the side of the receiver instead of Domo

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    If you watch the replay Blechen was trying to yell something, with his mouth piece in his hand at the snap. He was late getting into the play, and that likely caused his angle to be poor. If he's ready when the ball is snapped he's likely coming into the side of the receiver instead of Domo
    and said receiver is recovering from a lacerated liver (added for dramatic effect)

From Liz Abel today:

Below are a few notes on Utah’s football game against USC this Saturday. The complete release is attached as a PDF. Also, the game time has been announced for Utah’s Nov. 1game at ASU. It will be 8 pm MST/9 pm MDT on Fox Sports 1.

THE GAME

> No. 19/19 Utah (5-1, 2-1 Pac-12) hosts No. 20/21 USC (5-2, 4-1).
    > Saturday, Oct. 25, 8:00 p.m. MT, Rice-Eccles Stadium.
    > Nationally televised on FOX Sports 1.

BLACKOUT

> Saturday is the seventh-annual Blackout game in Rice-Eccles Stadium.
    > The Utes will wear black uniforms. Fans are also encouraged to wear black.

TOP 20

> Utah is ranked No. 19 in both the A.P. and the USA Today Coaches’ polls.
    > Utah is in the top 20 for the third-straight week.
    > No. 19 is Utah’s highest A.P. ranking since Nov. 7, 2010 (No. 15).
    > Saturday’s game is the first time both Utah and its opponent have been ranked since the 2010 Las Vegas Bowl.

MIDSEASON ALL-AMERICANS

> Punter Tom Hackett, 1st team CBSSports.com, ESPN, Phil Steele
    > Punt returner Kaelin Clay, 1st team CBSSports.com, Phil Steele
    > Defensive end Nate Orchard, 1st team CBSSports.com, 2nd team Phil Steele
    > Kicker Andy Phillips, 2nd team SI.com, 3rd team Phil Steele

NO. 1 IN THE NATION

> Utah leads the nation in total sacks (33) and sacks per game (5.5).
    > It is the third-straight week Utah has been ranked No. 1 in sacks.
    > Utah leads the nation in tackles for loss per game (10.2).
    > Utah leads the nation in net punting (44.27 yards).

EXTRA SPECIAL TEAMS

Utah leads the nation in net punting (44.27 yards) behind Midseason All-American Tom Hackett, who ranks third nationally and first in the Pac-12 in punt average (47.1). Of Utah’s 37 punts, just nine have been returned (for a total of 23 yards) … Kaelin Clay is the only player in the country this season with three punt returns for touchdowns and four total returns (1 kickoff) for a touchdown. He ranks fourth in the nation in punt return average (20.1). Utah ranks No.7 in the nation in punt return average (17.31) and No. 3 in kick return average (27.82) … Utah is ranked sixth in the nation in punt return defense (2.56) and seventh in kickoff return defense (15.88) … Andy Phillips, a two-time Lou Groza Star of the Week, ranks second in the country in 40+ yard field goals (9-of-11) and is 13-of-15 overall. Phillips ranks sixth in the nation in scoring (10.8 ppg).

STATCHAT

Punter Tom Hackett has placed 18 of his 37 punts (48.6%) inside the 20-yard line and has 12 punts inside the 10-yard line … Devontae Booker’s 229-yard rushing game against OSU is the tied for the fifth-best single-game mark in school history. Booker is averaging 187.7 rushing yards in the last three games since he became the lead back … Nate Orchard’s 10.5 sacks is the most by a Ute in a season since John Frank had 13 in 1999 and the sixth-most in school history. Orchard ranks No. 2 nationally in sacks per game (2.2) and total sacks (10.5) … Utah ranks second in the Pac-12 in rushing defense (114.2 ypg) and scoring defense (21.7) … Utah is also second in the conference in rushing offense (210.7 ypg) … Utah ranks 11th nationally in turnover margin (1.0 average, 11 gained/5 lost). Utah’s five turnovers lost is tied for fourth-fewest in the country … Utah’s 10 sacks against UCLA is tied for the most by any team in a game this season and the most against an FBS team … See sidebar on page 3 for more Utah rankings.

TWO MINUTE DRILL

At 5-1, Utah is off to its best start since winning its first eight games in 2010. Utah’s 2-1 conference start is its best since joining the Pac-12 in 2011 … Utah is 3-0 on the road with wins at Michigan, UCLA and Oregon State … Utah is 4-2 in blackout games, beating TCU (2008), Wyoming (2009), Oregon State (2011) and Cal (2012), and losing to TCU (2010) and UCLA (2013) … Utah has played to 28-straight sellouts in Rice-Eccles Stadium extending back to the 2010 season-opener against Pittsburgh.

IN THE HUDDLE

Devontae Booker was named the Athlon Sports National Player of the Week for his 229-yard, three touchdown game against Oregon State, while Andy Phillips was a Lou Groza Star of the Week … Travis Wilson will start at quarterback against USC. Wilson (4-1) started the first five games before relieving Kendal Thompson (1-0) in the second half last week at Oregon State ... Midseason All-Americans Tom Hackett, Nate Orchard, Kaelin Clay and Andy Phillips were also first-team Midseason Pac-12 Conference by Phil Steele. Making the Phil Steele Midseason all-Pac-12 second team were running back Devontae Booker, offensive tackle Jeremiah Poutasi, defensive end Hunter Dimick and linebacker Jared Norris … 11 true freshmen have played: Christian Drews, Jameson Field, Andre Godfrey, Wallace Gonzalez, Boobie Hobbs, Lowell Lotulelei, Nick Mika, Monte Seabrook, Marcus Williams, Tavaris Williams and Kenric Young … True freshman who have started are Lotulelei at defensive tackle and Godfrey at free safety.

OUTSIDE THE LINES

The Kyle Whittingham radio show is Tuesday at 6 p.m. MDT on ESPN700. The show will be broadcast live from the Desert Edge Brewery at Trolley Square and is free to the public … Utah’s helmets for USC will bear pink ribbon decals on the back in recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month … Members of the Crimson Club Athletic Fund’s Scholarship Circle will be honored at halftime … The pre-game Ute Walk starts at 5:30 p.m. on the corner of Guardsman Way and 500 South. The first 100 text line participants will receive a Utah wall decal. To sign up for the Utah football promotional text line, text “UtahFB” to 53535.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    That is exactly what I expect from a SR leader. He was telling the young defender on the other side where to be. There is a decent chance that Mannion would have hit the receiver on the other side if Blechen played tighter to Domo's side.

It was just a fantastic throw by an NFL-ready qb.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    That is exactly what I expect from a SR leader. He was telling the young defender on the other side where to be. There is a decent chance that Mannion would have hit the receiver on the other side if Blechen played tighter to Domo's side.

It was just a fantastic throw by an NFL-ready qb.
    Disagree to some degree. It had nothing to do with which side he took, it's the fact that he got a late start on the play. He didn't know the ball had been snapped, so he was behind.

I want him to direct, he just got caught not ready at the snap. It's going to happen now and then

this game scares the crap out of me. no Offense means a big lost.

I'm calling it. These Utes will have a historic win over USC this Saturday.

--Yeats

The crucial matchup is Utah O vs USC D. Naming Travis the starter was probably to get the receivers and everyone else focused, he gives us the best rounded QB. SC's D has sagged in a few games late, and Neuheisal sees the scholarship hangover making them thin. Get the O in gear, high tempo, "elevation" them in the 4th quarter. If they crowd the box, bring in KT. Gotta sustain drives. Time to play some cards not seen.

Utah D vs SC O - we should be able to limit them with pressure on Kessler, and keeping Allen within reason. Good QB pressure will help negate the always freakish SC WRs, I would think Justin Thomas is the best pure cover guy, on Aghular, #15. They have a TE air game, so Blechen and the LBs need to be disciplined.

If we can battle to a draw in those two phases, ST may be our trump card.

I got an interesting piece of information on the Mannion bomb this afternoon. There's been talk of Blechen trying to say something just before the play and how he was late arriving. From what I was told, it wasn't even his coverage. He was covering up another Godfrey mistake. The Utes were hoping to goad Mannion into the throw. What Kalani had called was for Hadfield to be in man-to-man coverage while Blechen on his side was to play the run and/or a shorter pass to a tightend or fullback. In the meantime, Godfrey was supposed to circle up and over from his spot on the opposite side to bring a late double-team with Hatfield. As they lined up, Blechen saw Godfrey out of position which indicated he'd misunderstood the call. The ball was snapped and Blechen had to quickly change position.

It's interesting to contrast this to what we see as fans. I've been ticked at Blechen for both arriving late and for knocking Hadfield out of position when in fact he was trying to cover for a mistake. All that said, coaches are positive about Godfrey's progress but it shows what even one or two mistakes a game can result in. While coaches hope to get Carter back this week I know that they've experienced similar growing pains. Tevyn's made a few mistakes as well. Often, his athleticism helps him cover for them but a completely blown assignment is tough to recover from.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I got an interesting piece of information on the Mannion bomb this afternoon. There's been talk of Blechen trying to say something just before the play and how he was late arriving. From what I was told, it wasn't even his coverage. He was covering up another Godfrey mistake. The Utes were hoping to goad Mannion into the throw. What Kalani had called was for Hadfield to be in man-to-man coverage while Blechen on his side was to play the run and/or a shorter pass to a tightend or fullback. In the meantime, Godfrey was supposed to circle up and over from his spot on the opposite side to bring a late double-team with Hatfield. As they lined up, Blechen saw Godfrey out of position which indicated he'd misunderstood the call. The ball was snapped and Blechen had to quickly change position.

It's interesting to contrast this to what we see as fans. I've been ticked at Blechen for both arriving late and for knocking Hadfield out of position when in fact he was trying to cover for a mistake. All that said, coaches are positive about Godfrey's progress but it shows what even one or two mistakes a game can result in. While coaches hope to get Carter back this week I know that they've experienced similar growing pains. Tevyn's made a few mistakes as well. Often, his athleticism helps him cover for them but a completely blown assignment is tough to recover from.
    Thanks, 'biq, great info.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post

Great info. Very interesting.

The fact still remains that he took a very poor angle, even with being late, and knocked Hatfield out of the play. Hatfield could have made a play on the ball, all Blechen had to do was take a different angle or slow up and allow Hatfield to do his job. Blechen would have been in position to make the tackle too had Hatfield failed to make a play. No one is Blaming Blechen for being aggressive and trying to make the play himself though, thats who he is and what makes him great.

Keep in mind here Hatfield is the fastest player of the three, he almost catches Villamin from behind despite being 4 steps behind at this point.

Last edited by SigmaUte; 10-21-2014 at 09:28 AM.
    "This isn't a gentlemen's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football, it's a physical game." - Tony Bergstrom

If the OL can give Travis 1-2 more seconds and the receivers catch the ball, we win.

--Yeats