Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014-15 NCAA Basketball

2014-15 NCAA Basketball

Starts tomorrow! Look at this schedule:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/schedule

22 of the top 25 are playing tomorrow.

Here's Pat Forde's list of 25 college basketball players to know this year (Delon checks in at #23):

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/25-most...082240520.html

Two good games tonight in preparation for the big basketball day tomorrow:

SMU @ Gonzaga. Zags have become a trendy Final Four pick.
    Auburn @ CU.

A few interesting games today:

Mizzou @ Arizona - first real test for Zona
    Villanova @ VCU - both ranked
    Michigan @ Oregon - Oregon with a chance at a statement game
    BYU @ SDSU - polar opposites in style

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    A few interesting games today:

BYU @ SDSU - polar opposites in style
    Should be a good preview of our game against the Y. SDSU sterling defensively; somewhat offensively challenged. See if they shut down Haws Collinsworth and whatever else there is.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Should be a good preview of our game against the Y. SDSU sterling defensively; somewhat offensively challenged. See if they shut down Haws Collinsworth and whatever else there is.
    Is Collinsworth playing? I thought he was going to be out until the WCC season (the anti-grind).

Is Collinsworth playing? I thought he was going to be out until the WCC season (the anti-grind).
    I thought he played a few minutes the other night and they are easing him in; could be wrong though. Dont pay close attention.

I thought he played a few minutes the other night and they are easing him in; could be wrong though. Dont pay close attention.
    Yup, I just looked it up. He has played 30 minutes total this season. Too bad. I was hoping they would go through their real season (Nov/Dec) without their best player.

Yup, I just looked it up. He has played 30 minutes total this season. Too bad. I was hoping they would go through their real season (Nov/Dec) without their best player.
    I checked the box score in their loss. He's back 100%, and that's bad news for us down there. He is a stat stuffer - points, boards, ans steals.

Some to watch today:

KState / Arizona
    VCU / Oregon
    Nova / Michigan

I checked the box score in their loss. He's back 100%, and that's bad news for us down there. He is a stat stuffer - points, boards, ans steals.

and by all accounts, he was their best player last night; better than Haws.

and by all accounts, he was their best player last night; better than Haws.
    He always has been. Most cougar fans I've talked with can see that.

Arizona beats SDSU in the Maui final by a deuce.

A couple points in that game, a couple more in our game vs. SDSU and we're a top 10 team when the next polls come out, and probably closer to 5 than 10.

Purdue giving out shirts to put train tracks in the stands...

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/sta...06666696040448

#6 Texas @ #1 Kentucky tonight. I love the Kentucky platoon thing.

You want an example of how inbounds plays can lead to points? Here's Yale's game winner over UConn:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400586712

It's kind of hard to see because the video starts on the pass, not the motion, but basically Yale has their two bigs set "elevator door" screens for their two guards who come off the picks in opposite directions - one heading for the corner and the other for the elbow. Both screeners than turn to the hoop. UConn gets lost and leaves the guy in the corner for a second. Game over.

Bulldog, bulldog, bow wow wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    You want an example of how inbounds plays can lead to points?
    Thanks for the example. Now I want the stats. What % of inbounds plays are successful scoring plays? Turnovers? Resets? I want to know national averages and team-by-team. I suspect that Utah does alright and that Yale doesn't always nail it.

Thanks for the example. Now I want the stats. What % of inbounds plays are successful scoring plays? Turnovers? Resets? I want to know national averages and team-by-team. I suspect that Utah does alright and that Yale doesn't always nail it.
    I am not sure the main reason to have good inbounds plays is to make points. That happens sometimes, but more often you just need to get the ball in bounds without a TO during crunch time. Failure can cost you the game. In the Alabama game I mentioned earlier, the inbounds play was critical to getting the right man to the FT line in the final seconds. I do think Larry needs to step up this aspect of the Utes' game. They look a bit like they are improvising too much.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Watching Arizona vs Gonzaga. Zags looks good -- has size, athleticism, and outside. Just noticed Sabonis's kid is on Zags team. Also noticed Gary Payton's kid is at OSU.

Man, I'm getting old.

Wichita St leading previously undefeated Seton Hall by 20.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Kansas @ Georgetown at 5:00 tonight is a nice undercard for the big game.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Watching Arizona vs Gonzaga. Zags looks good -- has size, athleticism, and outside. Just noticed Sabonis's kid is on Zags team. Also noticed Gary Payton's kid is at OSU.

Man, I'm getting old.

So how does Arthritis Sabonis's kid end up in Spokane at Gonzaga? Did he stay in the US and NW after retiring instead of going back to Lithuania?

Michigan losing to the New Jersey Institute of Technology, or Nebraska losing to Incarnate Word: who had it worst?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/d1-newc...07--ncaab.html

Wow...UCLA is being obliterated by UK. Down by 40+ points with about seven minutes left.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Wow...UCLA is being obliterated by UK. Down by 40+ points with about seven minutes left.
    They started 0-17 from the floor.

They started 0-17 from the floor.
    A 7 point first half.

Is Ky that good, or UCLA that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    A 7 point first half.

Is Ky that good, or UCLA that bad?
    Yes.

Watching Kentucky vs Louisville...no wonder UCLA only scored 7 points in the first half. Not sure how many points we can score.

BYU kept it close against Gonzaga at the Marriott Center, but couldn't pull it off. That was probably their last chance at a good win. If they make the tournament, it will be a poor seed. And our win over them won't help our resume much.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.