Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Utes vs Harbaugh and those other guys

2015 Utes vs Harbaugh and those other guys

I know this is early, but 2015 could be special.

Who do do the Utes lose, and who is in line to replace them?

The way things are going now, the Utes will probably finish the 2014 season ranked, and will probably be ranked in the 2015 preseason.

Before the 2014 season all the local media had to say was BYU was going to be undefeated, and Utah was going to be looking for a new coach after a terrible season. OOPS!

Hopefully this season will give the Utes a nice recruiting bump.

We don't lose a lot in terms of sheer numbers of seniors, but we lose virtually all of our big-play guys, except for Booker.

Contributing seniors that we lose on Offense:
    WR: Dres, Tonga, K. Clay (he's going to apply for another year - it looks doubtful, from what I've heard)
    OL: Jr Salt, Pouvave

Contributing seniors that we lose on Defense:
    D-Line: Orchard, Ianu,
    DB: Rowe, Orphey
    LB: Hale
    Safeties: Blechen, Freeman, Carter (he's also going to apply for another year)

Basically we are bringing back a ton of talent on the offensive and defensive lines. Of course, we lose perhaps our best defensive end ever, so there's that.
    We also have to completely reload at receiver/TE.
    Linebackers look to be fine, barring injuries, and I think we'll be OK at DB - we lose Rowe and Orphey, but should have Reggie Porter back.
    We will need some help at safety. Marcus Williams has really improved, but we lose Blechen who has been really solid, if unspectacular, this year. It would be really nice to get another year for Carter.
    Last edited by Applejack; 11-17-2014 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Two of our current commits are JC WRs. The hope is that at least one will be able to step right into a starting role.

We don't lose a lot in terms of sheer numbers of seniors, but we lose virtually all of our big-play guys, except for Booker.

Contributing seniors that we lose on Offense:
    WR: Dres, Tonga, K. Clay (he's going to apply for another year - it looks doubtful, from what I've heard)
    OL: Jr Salt, Pouvave

Contributing seniors that we lose on Defense:
    D-Line: Orchard, Ianu,
    DB: Rowe, Orphey
    LB: Hale
    Safeties: Blechen, Freeman, Carter (he's also going to apply for another year)

Basically we are bringing back a ton of talent on the offensive and defensive lines. Of course, we lose perhaps our best defensive end ever, so there's that.
    Linebackers look to be fine, barring injuries, and I think we'll be OK at DB - we lose Rowe and Orphey, but should have Reggie Porter back.
    We will need some help at safety. Marcus Williams has really improved, but we lose Blechen who has been really solid, if unspectacular, this year. It would be really nice to get another year for Carter.

A year ago, we were wondering how we would ever replace Reilly, and how much weaker we would be on the D line this year because of that loss. Hopefully somebody will step up.

To me the big question next year is the same as it is every year it seems: Have we solved our qb problems? Not having KT in spring really hurts, and I cringe at the idea of another year of TW's ups and downs.
    Last edited by concerned; 11-17-2014 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Two of our current commits are JC WRs. The hope is that at least one will be able to step right into a starting role.
    Hopefully. I'm really down on JC Wideouts right now. One of the seniors that we have graduating this year is Andre Lewis, a former JC guy who was supposed to be the real deal. He hasn't been able to do much of anything, even with all of the injuries we've had. Clay has been good, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    A year ago, we were wondering how we would ever replace Reilly, and how much weaker we would be on the D line this year because of that loss. Hopefully somebody will step up.

To me the big question next year is the same as it is every year it seems: Have we solved our qb problems? Not having KT in spring really hurts, and I cringe at the idea of another year of TW's ups and downs.
    A few years ago I finally bought into the advice that someone on this board gave: never doubt the d-line under Whittingham. I'm sure we'll have something new on the d-line next year. But I will miss having Nate back there.

Hopefully. I'm really down on JC Wideouts right now. One of the seniors that we have graduating this year is Andre Lewis, a former JC guy who was supposed to be the real deal. He hasn't been able to do much of anything, even with all of the injuries we've had. Clay has been good, of course.
    JC's are no different than any other new recruit. They come with a certain probability of success. A 2 star recruit comes with a 5% chance. A 3 star comes with a 15% chance, and 4-5 stars come with a 25% odds. I made those numbers up, of course.

Scout.com has 100 3-star QBs right now. How many of them will end up being quality starters for P5 teams? Maybe 10? You have to collect as many as you can to hit the lottery with one.

For us to get a 50-50 split out of Clay/Lewis is beating the odds. I think we have 6-7 WRs committed for next year? The hope is that 1-2 of them work out.

JC's are no different than any other new recruit. They come with a certain probability of success. A 2 star recruit comes with a 5% chance. A 3 star comes with a 15% chance, and 4-5 stars come with a 25% odds. I made those numbers up, of course.

Scout.com has 100 3-star QBs right now. How many of them will end up being quality starters for P5 teams? Maybe 10? You have to collect as many as you can to hit the lottery with one.

For us to get a 50-50 split out of Clay/Lewis is beating the odds. I think we have 6-7 WRs committed for next year? The hope is that 1-2 of them work out.
    I think that JCs are a little more likely to fail because of timing. They need to quickly grasp the offense and get used to D-1 speed/schemes. Otherwise, they ride the pine their first year and then they are basically used up.

I think that JCs are a little more likely to fail because of timing. They need to quickly grasp the offense and get used to D-1 speed/schemes. Otherwise, they ride the pine their first year and then they are basically used up.
    The more I think about it, the really big question is replacing Hackett and Phillips. They are almost our best offensive weapons. (I am assuming Phillips will declare, since he is 25 has a baby and cant probably improve his draft status next year.)

The more I think about it, the really big question is replacing Hackett and Phillips. They are almost our best offensive weapons. (I am assuming Phillips will declare, since he is 25 has a baby and cant probably improve his draft status next year.)
    Is he an NFL kicker? Doesn't he need to more consistently put the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs? How many kicker openings are there in the NFL this draft? He may want to stick around. Does he have a degree yet?

Makes sense. On the other hand, maybe coaches know a little more about them because there is film against something more than high school competition. So maybe the star "odds" are slightly raised for JCs?

We've had tons of success with JC players. But WR is such a hard position to learn. It takes a thorough understanding of the system and an ESP connection with the QB(s). Not to mention the physical tools and the right mindset.

Is he an NFL kicker? Doesn't he need to more consistently put the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs? How many kicker openings are there in the NFL this draft? He may want to stick around. Does he have a degree yet?
    Is this a possibility? I know absolutely nothing about kickers or punters (PUNTERS!) declaring early. Does the NCAA even allow such nonsense? I have no ability to evaluate NFL kicking potential either, although I would think Hackett clearly has it based on stats alone.
    Last edited by Applejack; 11-17-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Looks like he did something in the off-season that enabled him to kick the ball out of the endzone whenever he wants to. My understanding is that the short kicks this season have been intentional, because of the opposing team's returner or other such issues.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

OK, now I'm obsessed. NFLdraftscout.com lists Andy as the 4th best placekicker in his class and Hackett as the 7th best punter in his. [This site looks a little dated (I'm not their pages have been updated since October).]

A couple of years ago LSU's punter, Brad Wing (also Australian), declared early. Wing was not drafted and was cut by the team he tried out with. But it looks like he stuck around and is on currently on the Steelers roster. Before him, the last time a punter left early for the NFL was 1991.

I know that Sebastian Janikowski left FSU early and was drafted in the first round. I couldn't find a lot of other examples.

I'd be surprised if either left.

Now Booker, that's another question.

Now Booker, that's another question.
    Yeah, Booker is listed as the #10 running back in the junior class. The guy is not a scholar and running backs take a lot of wear and tear (especially when you have no passing game). He is probably our leading candidate.

If he left, would we score in the majority of our games next year?

OK, now I'm obsessed. NFLdraftscout.com lists Andy as the 4th best placekicker in his class and Hackett as the 7th best punter in his. [This site looks a little dated (I'm not their pages have been updated since October).]

A couple of years ago LSU's punter, Brad Wing (also Australian), declared early. Wing was not drafted and was cut by the team he tried out with. But it looks like he stuck around and is on currently on the Steelers roster. Before him, the last time a punter left early for the NFL was 1991.

I know that Sebastian Janikowski left FSU early and was drafted in the first round. I couldn't find a lot of other examples.

Back when King Louie was looking at the NFL, I remember Whittingham commenting that NFL teams, because of their smaller rosters, really want a person who can kick and punt. Based on that, Whit thought King Louie was going to get a shot at the big time. He didn't get drafted but did end up kicking in the Canadian league. As good as Andy is, I don't see him leaving early. He may graduate with a Ph.D from the U by the time he finishes his eligibility.

With our history, I look at our JC commits with a 50% chance that they ever qualify, and then a 50% chance they contribute on the field. The first 50% is a bit harsh, but that seems to be how it feels whenever one doesn't qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Back when King Louie was looking at the NFL, I remember Whittingham commenting that NFL teams, because of their smaller rosters, really want a person who can kick and punt. Based on that, Whit thought King Louie was going to get a shot at the big time. He didn't get drafted but did end up kicking in the Canadian league. As good as Andy is, I don't see him leaving early. He may graduate with a Ph.D from the U by the time he finishes his eligibility.
    Is this true? I thought that the NFL liked guys that can kick it out of the endzone and kick it through the up rights. It seems like a weird combo to be a place kicker and a punter. I don't follow the NFL, so it could easily be, but is this a real thing?

I think you confused kick and punt with kick field goals and kick off deep. Some place kickers struggle with kick offs and it dooms their chances. Louie fell in this category.

I don't see Phillips leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Is this true? I thought that the NFL liked guys that can kick it out of the endzone and kick it through the up rights. It seems like a weird combo to be a place kicker and a punter. I don't follow the NFL, so it could easily be, but is this a real thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I think you confused kick and punt with kick field goals and kick off deep. Some place kickers struggle with kick offs and it dooms their chances. Louie fell in this category.
    I probably am. Louie could kick field goals and punt. I don't remember him on the kick offs.

I probably am. Louie could kick field goals and punt. I don't remember him on the kick offs.
    Short. Rarely got a touch back let alone able to kick it out of the end zone. He was a very accurate guy, but even on FG his range was average

Short. Rarely got a touch back let alone able to kick it out of the end zone. He was a very accurate guy, but even on FG his range was average
    I remember everyone saying Louie would not make it in the NFL because he could not kick into the end zone. This year, Phillips has a much stronger leg. Even at sea level he has been putting kick offs deep into the end zone, better than just about every opposing kicker. He is not Louie at all. And he has good accuracy from 45-50 yards, which is at a premium in the NFL. I would go pro if i were in his position, depending on the evaluation I got, I guess.

I remember everyone saying Louie would not make it in the NFL because he could not kick into the end zone. This year, Phillips has a much stronger leg. Even at sea level he has been putting kick offs deep into the end zone, better than just about every opposing kicker. He is not Louie at all. And he has good accuracy from 45-50 yards, which is at a premium in the NFL. I would go pro if i were in his position, depending on the evaluation I got, I guess.
    Kickers are just in a different place than other players. The risk part is much higher for them leaving. Kickers aren't drafted nearly as often, and rarely in the rounds that guarantee money. Leaving early as a kicker could leave you on the outside looking in pretty fast.

Kickers are just in a different place than other players. The risk part is much higher for them leaving. Kickers aren't drafted nearly as often, and rarely in the rounds that guarantee money. Leaving early as a kicker could leave you on the outside looking in pretty fast.

How is his vantage point (outside looking in) any different this year or next. He has a finite number of years as a kicker; he can always come back to college and get his degree if he gets cut.

How is his vantage point (outside looking in) any different this year or next. He has a finite number of years as a kicker; he can always come back to college and get his degree if he gets cut.
    Kickers can kick into their 40's in the NFL. If he can improve his strength and further his accuracy another year of proving it would increase his position

And it sure seems he enjoys playing in college. That's something he would lose. Money isn't always the most important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Kyle ceratinly doesn't look like a linebacker in this picture. Chase is towering over him.

Kyle ceratinly doesn't look like a linebacker in this picture. Chase is towering over him.
    I guarantee you Chase doesn't look like a QB to Kyle either ... more like a safety. But I'm sure he is telling Chase he could play QB ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I guarantee you Chase doesn't look like a QB to Kyle either ... more like a safety. But I'm sure he is telling Chase he could play QB ;-)

Toolblue! Where have you been all year? Hopefully you were able to watch a few Utah games this year. If you are looking for recommendations, might I suggest the Stanford, USC, UCLA, or Michigan games.

Toolblue! Where have you been all year? Hopefully you were able to watch a few Utah games this year. If you are looking for recommendations, might I suggest the Stanford, USC, UCLA, or Michigan games.
    I have been quite busy. But I was at the Michigan game. Second year in a row I have suffered through a torrential thundershower game delay. I saw many Utah games this year online, but the quality wasn't great due to inconsistent streaming capabilities ... I had to mask my ip. Saw them give up in the Arizona game. And I made the mistake of going to bed because I thought the WSU game was in the bag ... no way they were going choke that game away But, seriously, the PAC 12 network can't be distributed on Direct tv? I thought ya'll was all that and more?

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Of course, you guys did the same thing with Mike Hague--KW recruited hims as a safety, you told him he could be a running back and then moved him to safety (where he wasnt all that great as it turned out).