Pac 12 Media poll for the South:

1. USC
    2. ASU
    3. UCLA
    4. Arizona
    5. Utah
    6. Colorado
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Am I the only one who feels like media days are overrated? The season is still more than a month away (five weeks from tonight though...........) and as excited as I am, media days never seems to help.

The most interesting thing to me is who will be the first media member to ask a Ute coach or player about BYU. Happens every year. My money is on someone from 1320 KFAN. Too bad Kevin Graham is no longer here, as he would be the odds on favorite. Tim Montemayor, Ben Anderson, and Jake Scott are my top 3.

Apparently 1320 didn't even bother to send anyone down to cover Pac-12 media days.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Pac 12 Media poll for the South:

1. USC
    2. ASU
    3. UCLA
    4. Arizona
    5. Utah
    6. Colorado
    This is great news for the team bulletin board! I'll bet Kyle is having this reproduced at the copy store in poster size and laminated! Best thing the media has done for us so far!

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Apparently 1320 didn't even bother to send anyone down to cover Pac-12 media days.
    Probably not in the budget. Not sure how they are still in business, with no major entity to hitch their wagon to.

Am I the only one who feels like media days are overrated? The season is still more than a month away (five weeks from tonight though...........) and as excited as I am, media days never seems to help.

The most interesting thing to me is who will be the first media member to ask a Ute coach or player about BYU. Happens every year. My money is on someone from 1320 KFAN. Too bad Kevin Graham is no longer here, as he would be the odds on favorite. Tim Montemayor, Ben Anderson, and Jake Scott are my top 3.
    I agree. There's rarely anything very informative at media days. I get why they do it, but I don't get the excitement some people have about it.

Of course, I have come to feel similarly about the start of fall camp in August. I used to get all excited about reading the practice reports, but most of the tidbits from those reports are only what the coaches/SID want the media to see. There's only so much that can be gained from watching the last 20 minutes (often less as I understand it). Besides, most of the news out of fall camp is negative (injuries, players failing to report in time due to academics, etc). You also have your annual QB controversy in camp with nobody really emerging and Ute fans just bickering over it for months. Most of the positive news out of fall camp is stuff that coaches don't want to become public knowledge.

I guess media days and fall camp are a step in the right direction, but the good stuff is still a long way off.

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    This is great news for the team bulletin board! I'll bet Kyle is having this reproduced at the copy store in poster size and laminated! Best thing the media has done for us so far!
    I did see a couple of players on twitter complaining at the disrespect. I am glad they are using it for motivation and hope it helps them win. But....if you want to be picked higher than 5th, then finish higher than 5th. (I don't see any disrespect in being picked in the same spot as last year's finish).

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    But....if you want to be picked higher than 5th, then finish higher than 5th. (I don't see any disrespect in being picked in the same spot as last year's finish).
    I agree. If picking with my head, and not my heart, I would put Utah right where the media has. Until we prove otherwise what complaints can we have.

If anyone gets to complain about respect, it's Arizona. They won the thing last year and played in the Fiesta Bowl. Now they are picked 4th.

A lot of people must think they were a fluke last year. I hope those people are right.

I agree. There's rarely anything very informative at media days. I get why they do it, but I don't get the excitement some people have about it.

Of course, I have come to feel similarly about the start of fall camp in August. I used to get all excited about reading the practice reports, but most of the tidbits from those reports are only what the coaches/SID want the media to see. There's only so much that can be gained from watching the last 20 minutes (often less as I understand it). Besides, most of the news out of fall camp is negative (injuries, players failing to report in time due to academics, etc). You also have your annual QB controversy in camp with nobody really emerging and Ute fans just bickering over it for months. Most of the positive news out of fall camp is stuff that coaches don't want to become public knowledge.

I guess media days and fall camp are a step in the right direction, but the good stuff is still a long way off.
    Truthfully the best stuff that comes out of fall camp and other stuff is from guys like Ma'ake and others who not only know the game, but know the program inside out. I've learned more useful stuff from a few of his posts than all of the media combined. Why don't we just dump their pay into Ma'ake's coffers?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Truthfully the best stuff that comes out of fall camp and other stuff is from guys like Ma'ake and others who not only know the game, but know the program inside out. I've learned more useful stuff from a few of his posts than all of the media combined. Why don't we just dump their pay into Ma'ake's coffers?
    Because as soon as you pay for a service, you feel a sense of ownership. Ma'ake can't be bought.

Right Ma'ake? You don't want our filthy lucre, right?

I did see a couple of players on twitter complaining at the disrespect. I am glad they are using it for motivation and hope it helps them win. But....if you want to be picked higher than 5th, then finish higher than 5th. (I don't see any disrespect in being picked in the same spot as last year's finish).
    I agree.

Besides, most of the news out of fall camp is negative (injuries, players failing to report in time due to academics, etc).
    This is why I hate fall camp. Injuries are a part of the game, but they sure are hard to take. We already lost McCormick, who everyone was excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    If anyone gets to complain about respect, it's Arizona. They won the thing last year and played in the Fiesta Bowl. Now they are picked 4th.

A lot of people must think they were a fluke last year. I hope those people are right.
    That's what happens when you lose to Boise St. in the bowl game.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    Because as soon as you pay for a service, you feel a sense of ownership. Ma'ake can't be bought.

Right Ma'ake? You don't want our filthy lucre, right?
    I don't know what you mean about filthy lucre, is that like licorice? Na, man, you gotta be committed to the entire thing - the players, the coaches, their families, the administration, the trainers, the equipment people, the Director of Football Ops, because he's the one who can get you on flights for road games. He knows the hookers in every city, he knows what time every coach leaves their home in the morning to go to do football, and what the coaches' wives like, what their fetishes are, their weak spots. During the week, you try to cover both the practice stuff, the recruiting information, slip over to a coach's wives house for a little something-something in the morning, get that coaches concerns from the wife's perspective, and you have to do the whole thing twice, which is brutal, not just in terms of jetting around and being several places at once, but in terms of how much "action" your stinger can take, and still keep getting the info.

"It won't be easy...but it will be worth it"

Being an insider is not all it's cracked up to be, especially if firearms are in the mix, or STDs, or suspicious kids.

I'm just happy to help out!

[EDIT - I hike pretty hard in the summer, in the evenings. Yeah, I can get pretty random. ]
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 07-31-2015 at 08:20 AM.

I know you guys missed this goofy bit yesterday, so I apologize.

35 Days.jpg Days until kickoff.

Here's an interesting read about the challenges the media is having in picking the Pac 12 South: http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_...2-south-ballot

I'll highlight some Ute stuff for you:

Utah at No. 4 felt weird but I kind of looked at them as a Washington of 2014 -- great defensive pressure with a questionable offense. In 2014, Washington finished third in a division that held far less depth than the South this season. So four seemed right. But again, if some wide receivers step up and Kyle Whittingham isn't square dancing with an uncertain quarterback situation until Week 10, then the Utes could find themselves higher up at season's end.
    Utah can win the division. I have zero doubt of that possibility. But so could UCLA, USC, ASU and Arizona. In the age of #Pac12AfterDark where Marys are hailed and last-second field goals go wide left or right -- or sometimes down the middle -- and kickers recover their own onside kicks and backwards passes are returned for scoop-and-score touchdowns and players drop the ball at the 1-yard line instead of in the end zone and double overtimes are determined by goal-line stands (huff, huff) and did I mention the Hail Marys already?

The South is ridiculously competitive. But on a couple of levels, Utah scares me. It's schedule scares me. That the Utes replaced both coordinator spots scares me. That a huge portion of their pass rush is gone scares me.

Here's what doesn't scare me: Devontae Booker. He scares defensive coordinators. And Utah's special teams, the best in the nation, doesn't scare me.

So I was torn. And rightfully so. The Utes could clearly finish anywhere from 1-5. Then again, so could the other four teams we're talking about in the South.

I don't have a problem with being picked 5th in the South, because though we had a breakout year last year, we were still 5th in one of the toughest divisions in CFB, and several of those wins were razor-thin and could have gone either way. (Of course, both the Wazzu and ASU games could have gone our way, too, but counting on 7 tossup games falling your direction is delusional, IMO)

The postseason coaching situation was a PR debacle, but on offense I think we have reason to think things will be improved, more positive, more stable, with seniors in critical positions. I think the offense takes a net step-up.

Hard to imagine how the D could be as good as last year. They could be close, but replacing Orchard, and Rowe and Blechen is a sizable task. Factor in our hope that Paul gets fully healthy - asking for a repeat performance from him is a lot - and replacing a DC on top of his craft, Sitake, means I think the D will be a net step-down. (Hopefully half a step)

On ST it would be crazy to expect Hackett to win back-to-back Ray Guy awards, and the return game with Clay gone won't be as effective. Half a step down.

The consensus is we've steadily become a deeper team, by the 5th year. If the offense can come into its own and develops a diversified attack beyond the run game, we could match last year's record, possibly even get to double-digits, which *could* get us into the PAC championship game, depending on how everyone else in our league does.

Being picked 5th means if we somehow fight our way up to 4th, or maybe even 3rd, the fans are ecstatic and the gift of PAC-mas is still highly treasured. Our honeymoon has been very long, and looks to continue.

Psychologically, Ute nation is in a pretty good place, which is immeasurable, and that seeps into the players and the recruiting.

(Compared to the state of affairs in Provo, life on the hill is certainly grand.)

Probably not in the budget. Not sure how they are still in business, with no major entity to hitch their wagon to.
    They couldn't get some sponsors for the trip?
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Kyle and I are on the same page. From a Ted Miller tweet:

Whittingham about what concerns him: Receivers. Folks talk about QB Travis Wilson taking next step but he needs more than Kenneth Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Kyle and I are on the same page. From a Ted Miller tweet:
    If our receivers can't get separation from our opponents' defenders, either because our guys are too slow or don't know how to play the position, there's not much Wilson or Thompson can do to make the passing game successful.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 07-31-2015 at 02:11 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    They couldn't get some sponsors for the trip?
    The sponsors who would benefit most from the exposure and connection to Utah football and the Pac-12 most likely have their money tied up elsewhere. And trust me, having sold STR for a while, it's a very tough niche to sell locally.

I am amazed that a market like SLC has three STR stations, and that's with one of the three biggest draws in the state (BYU football) unaffiliated with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    The sponsors who would benefit most from the exposure and connection to Utah football and the Pac-12 most likely have their money tied up elsewhere.
    Apparently at 1280 and ESPN 700.

We're getting a transfer from Cal that is a 1 year to play 1 guy: http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com...-utes-football

He has no stats to speak of, so I'll keep expectations low...but hey, he transferred from a P5 team!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    The sponsors who would benefit most from the exposure and connection to Utah football and the Pac-12 most likely have their money tied up elsewhere. And trust me, having sold STR for a while, it's a very tough niche to sell locally.

I am amazed that a market like SLC has three STR stations, and that's with one of the three biggest draws in the state (BYU football) unaffiliated with any of them.
    I am a broken record on this topic, but I have to hand it to 1320 KFAN. They have been on for 3 years now. I didn't think theyd make it one turn through the calendar. I obviously haven't seen the ratings, but I can't imagine that they draw well. With their only affiliation being the Grizzlies........(who doesn't want to listen to a minor league hockey game called by Tim Montemayor on a signal whose strength is so weak, it all but drops once you cross into an adjacent county?).......I wonder when management will pull the plug.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    We're getting a transfer from Cal that is a 1 year to play 1 guy: http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com...-utes-football

He has no stats to speak of, so I'll keep expectations low...but hey, he transferred from a P5 team!
    Welcome Sione! The more the merrier.

Hopefully this hurts Cal.

I like this guy already.

Rather than play in spring, Sina suited up for Cal's rugby team, helping the Bears to the national championship game against BYU at Rio Tinto Stadium in May. Read an interview with Cal Athletics here.

I've been rewatching the Vegas bowl while I'm working from home. Football can't get here soon enough! Lots of stuff to feel good about from this game.

From the Pac 12 Blog...Top 25 players in the Pac 12:

21. Jared Norris, LB, Utah Norris was quietly one of the most productive defensive players in the conference last season when he finished fourth in total tackles (116). He tallied 13 tackles for loss and four sacks and was an all-conference honorable mention pick. After starting the past two seasons, Norris heads into his senior year as one of the unquestioned leaders on one of the Pac-12’s top defenses.

First roster of the year released (per Piper). Of note (again to Piper), Corey Butler at WR, Caleb Repp at TE.

Norris may be the most promising NFL prospect on the D, along with Lowell Lotulelei. He doesn't look that fast, but I had an insider tell me a couple of years ago he was the most talented LB.

I want to see what incoming JC Xfr CB Kyle Fults looks like. He cranked out a 10.21 100m in high school, making him probably the fastest player ever at Utah. (Brice McCain ran a 10.3 as a Soph in HS, and he's in his 8th season in the league, but McCain, though just 5-9, is put together pretty well, so he can take some punishment.)

College Football's top 100 - Devonte Booker checks in at #61:

T-61. Devontae BookerUtah Utes
    Senior | Running back
    Score: 7.00

He isn't shy about his 2015 goals: "I'm planning on rushing for 2,000 yards and winning the Heisman." Booker's aspirations are lofty, but his resume suggests they're reachable. He was fantastic running through crowded spaces last year, amassing 815 yards after initial contact -- almost 200 more than the next-closest Pac-12 running back. The Utes figure to rely even more heavily on Booker this season, as they've graduated a significant amount of receiving talent. The potential for a massive year is there.