Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Utes vs Harbaugh and those other guys

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    New Pac-12 Bowl: The Melbourne Bowl in Australia vs a MWC opponent.

I would like a bowl game in Mexico too.
    Looks like other teams are trying to muscle in on our Australian kicker pipeline.

Everett Golson is the first free agent of the season. Could he end up playing against us for Michigan or UW?

Everett Golson is the first free agent of the season. Could he end up playing against us for Michigan or UW?

Or Oregon State?

I'm betting the FSU's of the world will hold out for Braxton Miller.

Good news. The Stanford "band" is on probation for sexual harassment and won't make any road trips this season.

Good news. The Stanford "band" is on probation for sexual harassment and won't make any road trips this season.
    I actually enjoy watching them. I'm not a big "marching band" kind of guy, but I was impressed by Stanford's. I remember thinking about how much better than ours they were, when I normally don't even pay attention to anyone else's marching band.

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post
    I actually enjoy watching them. I'm not a big "marching band" kind of guy, but I was impressed by Stanford's. I remember thinking about how much better than ours they were, when I normally don't even pay attention to anyone else's marching band.
    That's sort of funny since they're not known for being good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

Well they're certainly much better than ours.

I can't stand them.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I'm guessing the majority of Stanford band members couldn't get into BYU, which is why they rebel in such manner against their obvious LDS upbringing.

Well they're certainly much better than ours.
    At hazing, harassing and violating the law during their "performance"? Absolutely.

At hazing, harassing and violating the law during their "performance"? Absolutely.

Maybe they're better at that stuff too, but I don't follow marching bands enough to know.

What I was talking about was playing good songs and doing awesome formations on the field. Our band is playing Utah Man, while their band is playing hit songs by Metallica, Michael Jackson, Pink Floyd, etc. And while they're playing these great songs, their band is spelling out words and making pictures with their formations.

Nothing wrong with Utah Man, but Stanford's band is a few notches above ours. They're a Pac 12 band while ours is still MWC level.

Hopefully they'll surprise me this year.

I don't know if everyone else does this or not. For all I know everyone is doing this and Stanford is not as good as most other P5 schools. I don't really pay attention to the bands so I never noticed. But I did notice Stanford's band doing all of this last season and it really stuck out to me as being much better than our own band.

There is also the possibility that I'm confusing the Stanford band with the Michigan band, or some other team. I recall a band being really good, and I think it was Stanford's, but since I don't really care too much about bands I am not 100% positive on which game it was.

There is also the possibility that I'm confusing the Stanford band with the Michigan band, or some other team. I recall a band being really good, and I think it was Stanford's, but since I don't really care too much about bands I am not 100% positive on which game it was.
    I think so. Stanford's whole thing is that their band stinks. Many members don't play a instrument. They don't march. They are really just there to mock other bands and really to mock football in general.

Michigan's band was fantastic. They were very entertaining. As I recall UCLA's band is one of the better in the country. A great band with fun music adds a lot to the game experience.

Watching an Ohio State game on the Horseshoe is a bucket list item for me. Their band is in a whole 'nother universe.

Depends what you mean by "good". Stanford's band sounds like garbage but they can be entertaining by being offensive and having fun. Utah has a much better sounding band than Stanford, we just lack any sort of entertaining show design.

Ohio State doesn't sound particularly good but they can put on a great show. USC is pretty bad but they're well-known for being over-the-top and entertaining. Michigan just has a great band in general, as does Michigan State. Utah is close to or on par with UCLA, ASU, Arizona, Washington, Oregon, Oregon State, Colorado, and Washington State. Those programs have pretty good bands but they're nothing to write home about.

So, I want us to keep the Sack Lake City thing going. Nate was the Mayor last year. I think we should make Hunter the Mayor this year. Each year, we should honor one member of the DLine by making him the Mayor of Sack Lake City. It can be a thing. Once everyone knows, we can sell it to recruits.

So, I want us to keep the Sack Lake City thing going. Nate was the Mayor last year. I think we should make Hunter the Mayor this year. Each year, we should honor one member of the DLine by making him the Mayor of Sack Lake City. It can be a thing. Once everyone knows, we can sell it to recruits.
    I agree! It's an original idea for a new tradition and we seem to be a little lacking in original ideas and traditions. As for 2015, maybe Pita Taumoepenu?

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
    I agree! It's an original idea for a new tradition and we seem to be a little lacking in original ideas and traditions. As for 2015, maybe Pita Taumoepenu?

Don't you need to wait to see who the leader of the sack is before giving someone the title? For all we know Dimick, Fanaika or Fitts could be the leader.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Don't you need to wait to see who the leader of the sack is before giving someone the title? For all we know Dimick, Fanaika or Fitts could be the leader.
    Give it to the returning player with the most sacks.

Give it to the returning player with the most sacks.
    The "Mayor of Sack Lake City" is a step toward establishing a new tradition. However, I would be against giving it to a guy with two sacks the previous year by default, because he was the leading returner in sacks. Syracuse has a thing with No. 44 -- not everyone gets it but highly respected, great players. (It has since been retired, but only 11 players wore the number). I would make the "Mayor" designation the same thing -- you only get it the year AFTER you lead the team in sacks if you're returning to the team. Otherwise, the title stands vacant.

I'm on board so long as the reigning mayor can wear a "Mayor" sash a la Mayor Quimby.

Pac 12 Blog ranks the QBs:

7. Utah

If there's a more up and down quarterback in the country than Travis Wilson, we'd be surprised. On one hand, you look at the poise and confidence on the game-winning drive against USC. Then you see the out-of-control (though still passionate) play against Michigan. When he's poised and in control, he's probably in the top 5 on this list. He can do some pretty special things with his harm and his legs. The completion percentage needs to be higher than 60 percent. But he did a better job taking care of the ball last year, tossing 18 TDs to 5 INTs.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

The Drive will feature Utah and Oregon St. this season.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I'm really looking forward to this level of access. I think the Drive is really well done.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    That's awesome. Should be a fun contrast with Oregon State. Here's to hoping we have a season worthy of highlighting.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    The "Mayor of Sack Lake City" is a step toward establishing a new tradition. However, I would be against giving it to a guy with two sacks the previous year by default, because he was the leading returner in sacks. Syracuse has a thing with No. 44 -- not everyone gets it but highly respected, great players. (It has since been retired, but only 11 players wore the number). I would make the "Mayor" designation the same thing -- you only get it the year AFTER you lead the team in sacks if you're returning to the team. Otherwise, the title stands vacant.
    I'd like a mayor every year. There really has to be a mayor this year, or the tradition will never take.

Who would have been our mayor under the "returner with most sacks" rule over the past 10 years? We always have someone to take the mantle, right? This is Sack Lake City, after all.

Another option - first player to 5 sacks each year is the mayor. The period of time before someone has 5 sacks on the season is called "the election."

And, yes, the mayor should get a sash and should also get the key to the city in a ceremony with the mayor of Salt Lake City. This is good publicity for everyone.

I can be on-board with this -- it's fun and would be great to build/continue the tradition. Good stuff.

I just can't stand people using parochial, selective, historical data and Spring games to prognosticate our upcoming season records; then, when people don't agree with them, they get bent out of shape. To me, having been around data most of my life, analyzing without proper context just does not make sense. To each's own -- I guess.

I'd like a mayor every year. There really has to be a mayor this year, or the tradition will never take.

Who would have been our mayor under the "returner with most sacks" rule over the past 10 years? We always have someone to take the mantle, right? This is Sack Lake City, after all.

Another option - first player to 5 sacks each year is the mayor. The period of time before someone has 5 sacks on the season is called "the election."

And, yes, the mayor should get a sash and should also get the key to the city in a ceremony with the mayor of Salt Lake City. This is good publicity for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Syracuse has a thing with No. 44 -- not everyone gets it but highly respected, great players. (It has since been retired, but only 11 players wore the number).
    I'm seeing that 44 has just been "unretired" at Syracuse.

That was another thought I had. I like it. Think of it in presidential terms, too. If you have a player returning who led the team in sacks the year before, he's the incumbent and essentially runs unopposed. If you don't, you have your mid-season election, as you so described.

Espn:

Pac-12 post-spring position unit rankings: Linebackers

Utah looks good if Paul stays healthy.

Phil Steele names 4 Utes to his preseason Pac-12 first team: Dimick, Booker, Phillips, Hackett