Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Utes vs Harbaugh and those other guys

Michigan DT and SLC native Bryan Mone breaks his ankle in practice. Likely out for the year.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Michigan DT and SLC native Bryan Mone breaks his ankle in practice. Likely out for the year.
    I don't know much about their team. Was he penciled in to get playing time? If so, that sucks that he won't be able to play in front of his family/friends.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I don't know much about their team. Was he penciled in to get playing time? If so, that sucks that he won't be able to play in front of his family/friends.
    The tweet I saw said he was a starter.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Injury season has officially started. MSU lost an all-conference LB, and Clemson lost one of their few returning defensive starters. And of course BYU lost a LB to a horrible neck break. I hate this time of the year.

That sucks. Really nice kid. Hope he is able to fully recover
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Hope it's just the ankle. These guys say that it might be his femur.
    http://www.diehardsport.com/college-...ut-for-season/
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Interesting article here on Caleb Repp: http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2831559...epp-unfazed-by

Sounds like they've switched him to TE to give them a size and speed advantage over shorter/slower LBs. Maybe they are thinking he could be in the mold of Pharoh Brown?

Whit-speak on the QB "competition":

These quotes are pretty concerning to me. As many know, I am not a fan of Travis Wilson being our starting quarterback. I also don't like the media reports of what Travis has been doing so far. In my opinion, and many of you will disagree with me and will have valid points, Travis hasn't done enough to say he is the clear cut #1 and it is his job to lose.

I really want Kendal to win the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    These quotes are pretty concerning to me. As many know, I am not a fan of Travis Wilson being our starting quarterback.
    Well, you only have to deal with it for one more year. It will be Travis, and he will provide you with plenty of "I told you so" moments. He will also have some great moments. If we make the switch to KT, we will switch back to TW at some point. In other words, this season is going to be a lot like last season in terms of QB play.

The good news is the TW/KT tandem was good enough to win 9 games last year.

I remember Mone playing a bunch as a true freshman when we played them last year.

2015 Football Season

Prepare for a mini-rant: Cory Butler shows up from JC and is immediately the starter at slot. Then he's suddenly the starter at corner. I'm sure there are good reasons but it irritates me to see that the default decision on the best athletes is always to move them to the defense. Can't we have a few freak athletes on the offense? I know, I know, it's in the DNA and culture of Utah football under Kyle. It still bugs me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Prepare for a mini-rant: Cory Butler shows up from JC and is immediately the starter at slot. Then he's suddenly the starter at corner. I'm sure there are good reasons but it irritates me to see that the default decision on the best athletes is always to move them to the defense. Can't we have a few freak athletes on the offense? I know, I know, it's in the DNA and culture of Utah football under Kyle. It still bugs me.
    Sounds like there are lots of good options at slot and few at CB. It's a wins-above-replacement thing. I'm guessing Butler would be on offense if not for the Domo situation.

Seems I also remember someone somewhere saying that Butler prefers defense? Am I making that up?

You also should probably take into account Butler asked to go to back to Corner as that's his natural position and the one he is most comfortable with

Sure the coaches could force him to play WR, but is that really the best thing to do?

Is there a harder defensive position to fill than corner? And if he could be a shutdown corner then its a no-brainer. Agree?
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Maybe we should try him at QB for a couple practices.

It's easier to step in as a receiver for a handful of downs a game than it is to step in at corner for a handful of downs. I'd prefer that his focus is on defense with a few surprises on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Is there a harder defensive position to fill than corner? And if he could be a shutdown corner then its a no-brainer. Agree?
    Agree. In the NFL draft, great QBs and linemen go first, followed by shutdown corners and #1 WRs. Those pieces are hard to find. The best slot WRs will go mid-round.

If Butler had a chance to be a #1 WR, I would want to see him stay on offense. Of course, then he would be 6'4" and would never be considered at CB anyway.

Interesting article here on Caleb Repp: http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2831559...epp-unfazed-by

Sounds like they've switched him to TE to give them a size and speed advantage over shorter/slower LBs. Maybe they are thinking he could be in the mold of Pharoh Brown?
    Bill Riley noted him as well today, saying he could even start. I remember at signing day, they talked about him becoming the next Nate Orchard.

This is the first camp I can remember where "we plan on using the tight ends a lot more this year!" hasn't been tossed around on a daily basis. How funny would it be if we actually found a star this year?

What is the word on Tim Patrick? Monty tweeted today "Outside WR is now a big concern as multiple people told me Tim Patrick is in doubt"

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Bill Riley noted him as well today, saying he could even start. I remember at signing day, they talked about him becoming the next Nate Orchard.

This is the first camp I can remember where "we plan on using the tight ends a lot more this year!" hasn't been tossed around on a daily basis. How funny would it be if we actually found a star this year?
    Repp kept his weight down to run track in the spring so he's about 50-60 pounds below what they'd like him at for DE, thus the change

What about Wallace Gonzales? He was supposed to be the next great TE for us but I haven't heard anything about him this year.

Since Aaron Roderick knows how to use a TE, I expect to see the position have a bigger role in the offense this year. DC apparently didn't even know the position existed.

Look, I said it was a rant! Rants can't be taken seriously! Besides, there is a long list of great athlete recruits who have come to Utah and have either been moved to defense from the offense, or have been mentioned by the coaches as possible defensive players. Most of them, I'd wager. That long-term tendency, combined with the musical chairs at the OC position and the total lack of an offensive identity, simply grate on me sometimes. I'm over it now. We can move on.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

ICYMI...

The latest trick shot by Phillips

Man we're going to miss Phillips and Hackett when they're gone. They seem like such cool guys.

--Yeats

Here's ESPN's preview of the Utes: http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...view-utah-utes

Of Note:

Final grade for 2014: A-minus

Most important player: Booker. The Utes' passing attack was sporadic last season, and it could face more troubles this year after the departures of top targets Clay, Anderson and Tonga. Booker said he's packed on a few more pounds of muscle as he prepares to become even more of a focal point in the offense. He already was the centerpiece last year, racking up a conference-best 815 yards after contact.

Impact newcomer: CB Cory Butler. The transfer from Los Angeles Harbor College was one of the highest-rated juco cornerback prospects in the country, and the Utes can certainly use some help in the secondary after a slew of departures this offseason. The early word: Butler is already impressing in camp.

Best-case scenario for 2015: 10-2. The Pac-12 South is the ultimate toss-up, and the Utes proved good enough to beat anyone in the division last year. The combination of Booker and their rugged front seven alone should keep Utah in every game. But their iffy passing attack also leaves them vulnerable to a bad bounce or two, so at least a couple of losses should be expected here -- even in the best scenario. The good news: 10-2 will probably be good enough to win the division, considering the self-cannibalization that's likely to happen.

Worst-case scenario for 2015: 6-6. A Michigan squad re-energized by Jim Harbaugh's second coming makes an opening-night statement in Salt Lake City, and the Utes proceed to lack the firepower to squeeze out wins against about five other well-equipped teams on that rigorous schedule. Much would have to go wrong for this to happen, but the Pac-12 South is indeed a treacherous minefield.

Biggest remaining question mark: The passing game. Wilson and Kendal Thompson were inconsistent last year, and they'll have to work without their favorite targets to provide support for Booker. Some explosiveness in the passing game is necessary for steady success in this conference.

Upset watch: at Washington, Nov. 7. Given the Huskies' departures, the Utes should be favored here. League road games are never easy, though, especially in November. By then, Washington might have overcome many of its preseason uncertainties.

Projected 2015 finish: 8-4, tied with multiple teams for second place in the Pac-12 South.
    It also notes that our most important game is Michigan...which I don't really buy. For my money, our most important game this year is probably Arizona St.

Pac 12 Football training camp is worth watching. I'm still excited for the season.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Pac 12 in 60: UCLA game.

Observations on the re-watch:

• It probably shouldn't have been that close
    • A Healthy Tevin Carter and Gionni Paul make a huge difference on this D
    • Travis Wilson was 2-5 for 5 yards before getting yanked...all three incomplete passes were hit in the hands drops by our receivers
    • Kendall Thompson threw for 95 yards, 42 of which came on the jump ball to Dres Anderson
    • Scott, Patrick, Singleton, McClellon...those guys need to learn how to go get the ball
    • Outside of the Dres touchdown, KT only threw one pass over 10 yards.
    • UCLA's TD on the wheel route was nice, we need to add the wheel route to our playbook with our speedy backs/small receivers
    • Booker and Thompson are very decisive runners, which I think is going to be critical to our success in 2015

Fun to re-watch the wins!

I'm glad they come to SLC in November: Advantage Utes.

Per Piper, it sounds like Marcus Sanders Williams has returned to the team. Sounds like he will redshirt

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Per Piper, it sounds like Marcus Sanders Williams has returned to the team. Sounds like he will redshirt
    Well, he'll certainly get the playing time he was seeking next year.

Well, he'll certainly get the playing time he was seeking next year.

In Piper's notes he said he originally left as he wanted to play RB.

When he couldn't find an opportunity he realized maybe he was supposed to be a LB and asked if he could come back and play LB.

It looks like Gordon Monson committed an act of journalism and rather than stirring the pot, actually reported what A-Rod says about the offense.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2842020...s-offense-will

--Yeats