Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: BearUp: #15 Arizona @ #17 Utah

Candidly, I'm hopeful that won't be the case. That "mess" we call offense in the past few years is tiring. In my field, a lot of coaches would have been fired.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    You may be right but I'm not ready to go there yet. These guys are not this bad. No team is as bad as its worst game.

Quote Originally Posted by AnestheUte View Post
    I'm really trying to hold back my inner pessimism here, but we really haven't had a lashing like this all year. At least the other losses we've had were close games. We just keep looking worse and worse. Can the team regroup and make our game against CU count? I bet we can (because CU is not very good) but the way everyone is messing up and hanging their heads, I have to at least question.
    Look at what happened to Ole Miss today. These games happen in P5 conferences. We will rebound and be just fine.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I'm excited to see how Chapman, Kuzma and Poeltl develop as the season progresses.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I'm excited to see how Chapman, Kuzma and Poeltl develop as the season progresses.
    Come on LA...don't be one of THOSE fans.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

The rain and Utah football hardly ever seem to go to very well together.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    The rain and Utah football hardly ever seem to go to very well together.
    I thought rain and cold would give us an advantage. I was so wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Candidly, I'm hopeful that won't be the case. That "mess" we call offense in the past few years is tiring. In my field, a lot of coaches would have been fired.
    Yep. It's going to take Utah a few years to dig out of its reputation as a no-offense, no-offensive identity program.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

How about this? If Urban keeps that young guy as his QB, we put a call in about Braxton Miller.

Any dream will do.

The phrase I have hated all season - "any drive that doesn't end in a turnover is a good drive" - was true today. Without the fumble and the picks, this is a different game. That said, Arizona just kicked us around out there.

What an embarrassing performance.

The rain ended up hurting us much more than them. The fumbled snap on 3rd and 3 was as bad for momentum as the holding call that took away a brilliant TD return.

CU is a real concern for next week. A win gets us a 5-4 finish in the conference, which is better than we deserve.

Come on. We've earned our wins and taken some lumps. Of course, CU is a tough game. Every game is always tough.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    The phrase I have hated all season - "any drive that doesn't end in a turnover is a good drive" - was true today. Without the fumble and the picks, this is a different game. That said, Arizona just kicked us around out there.

What an embarrassing performance.

The rain ended up hurting us much more than them. The fumbled snap on 3rd and 3 was as bad for momentum as the holding call that took away a brilliant TD return.

CU is a real concern for next week. A win gets us a 5-4 finish in the conference, which is better than we deserve.
    Deserve doesn't have much to do with it, imo. The last two years we've had a lot of things go against us. This year we've had more go for us and here we are at 7-4. Everyone would've taken this result before the season. Everyone.

The holding is ultimately the killer for us. 21-17 and all the momentum and we probably pull out another ugly one. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

We'll beat the Buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Deserve doesn't have much to do with it, imo. The last two years we've had a lot of things go against us. This year we've had more go for us and here we are at 7-4. Everyone would've taken this result before the season. Everyone.
    I agree. 5-4 would exceed my expectations.

I don't even know what DC's offense looks like in his mind. We haven't ever had enough success to even get glimpse of what he wants to do.

The attendance looked pathetic. The fans screaming for stadium expansion as if it were a no-brainer ought to consider that. I know some of them and they dumped their tickets this morning.

--Yeats

The attendance looked pathetic. The fans screaming for stadium expansion as if it were a no-brainer ought to consider that. I know some of them and they dumped their tickets this morning.
    They empty seats look terrible. More empty seats would look worse. And imagine if this were a bad season.

It may have looked pathetic, but it was the worst weather I have ever endured. The torrential hail in the second half was just brutal.

I am not blaming those who left early, just noting that so many decided not even to go. I don't think the ardent fan support is big enough yet to make adding 10,000 seats an urgent no-brainer.

--Yeats

I am not blaming those who left early, just noting that so many decided not even to go. I don't think the ardent fan support is big enough yet to make adding 10,000 seats an urgent no-brainer.
    This is the first time in like 3 years that the stadium wasn't packed. And this is after 2 bad seasons, and terrible weather today.

I wouldn't use that as a reason to keep the stadium minor league sized.

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post
    This is the first time in like 3 years that the stadium wasn't packed. And this is after 2 bad seasons, and terrible weather today.

I wouldn't use that as a reason to keep the stadium minor league sized.
    Points well taken.

--Yeats

The weather didn't seem to bother Arizona players much. hehe

BearUp: #15 Arizona @ #17 Utah

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    The weather didn't seem to bother Arizona players much. hehe
    At 6 AM on Thursday they practiced in the sprinklers to get ready. While that didn't save the game, I'm sure it helped. We were totally unprepared.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    At 6 AM on Thursday they practiced in the sprinklers to get ready. While that didn't save the game, I'm sure it helped. We were totally unprepared.
    Advantages of Arizona. Sprinklers in Utah are shut off for the year

I started getting nervous once I saw all of the national pundits picking Utah. That never seems to work out well for us. It's like our coaches don't know how to coach from a position of success. Their strength is coaching from an underdog position.

That's one thing Urban Meyer was great at. His teams seemed to get better once they were good.

The phrase I have hated all season - "any drive that doesn't end in a turnover is a good drive" - was true today. Without the fumble and the picks, this is a different game.
    A follow up on my own thought:

As bad as we were, and we were bad, I think we still have a shot to win if we just don’t turn it over. The Poole fumble cost us at least 7 points. The first Wilson pick cost us at least 3. Without those, we go into the locker room at 14-10 or maybe better. The fumbled snap (not a turnover officially, but just as good as one) cost us at least 3 points. The second Wilson pick cost us at least 7. At that point, the game was over, and Manning's pick made the score worse.

A follow up on my own thought:

As bad as we were, and we were bad, I think we still have a shot to win if we just don’t turn it over. The Poole fumble cost us at least 7 points. The first Wilson pick cost us at least 3. Without those, we go into the locker room at 14-10 or maybe better. The fumbled snap (not a turnover officially, but just as good as one) cost us at least 3 points. The second Wilson pick cost us at least 7. At that point, the game was over, and Manning's pick made the score worse.
    Throw penalties in there as well. In the third quarter Utah had a nice drive going and picked up a first down around the AZ 30 (easily in field goal range) but it came back due to holding; Utah ended up punting after Wilson took a sack. That's another 3 or possibly 7 points off the board. Then, of course, you also had the Clay punt return where the hold appeared inconsequential to the play.

Utah has succeeded this year by generally winning penalties and turnovers. Saturday was an uncharacteristic game in the way Utah lost those battles and also had the defense get trucked. (Offensively, the game wasn't that unique, unfortunately, aside from the turnovers and penalties).

I am trying to forget this game. I was unable to watch most of the first quarter and all of of the fourth (I heard that part on the radio), and although I recorded the game I won't watch it. I will probably delete it from my DVR.

--Yeats

This game never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Utah has succeeded this year by generally winning penalties and turnovers.
    Yes, and that is unfortunately how we have to beat CU as well. Play very conservatively, hope for a defense/special teams score, punt a lot, and get lucky in not giving up too many big plays. Nobody should have to beat CU that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    But it did, and it has all year. A couple of big plays, a few turnovers - that's all that separates this game from our great wins this year.

Speaking of great wins, Stanford is still #1 on the "wins since the Sugar Bowl" power ranking, but UCLA has a chance to overtake it.

I am trying to forget this game. I was unable to watch most of the first quarter and all of of the fourth (I heard that part on the radio), and although I recorded the game I won't watch it. I will probably delete it from my DVR.
    jedimind.jpg

This is not the game you are looking for...

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    If I had a videotape of the game I'd burn it.

--Yeats