Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Official Four-Game Cupcake Thread, Presented by Hostess

That's great to hear about Wright. He was doing a lot of jumping into the air without a plan in early practices.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I spotted you, OSU.
    Probably when Delon drained that 3--I had a perfect line behind him on that, maybe 10' away. It was good all the way, hope he keeps that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    That's great to hear about Wright. He was doing a lot of jumping into the air without a plan in early practices.
    He had a great sequence after he was doubled & was knocked down & called for traveling. he walked off a sore ankle & then go mad & blocked the next shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Throw something at me next time---where are you located?
    Love the arena's new look.
    Section N, row 17. I especially like how they've cleaned up (and classed up) the area around the court. Looks like a PAC-12 arena. A far cry from the smoke machines of recent memory.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

It's tough for me to get excited about anything out of these games, because anything that stands you, you figured would (and should) happen anyway. But Vegas has put up huge numbers against Utah in 3 of 4 non-con games, and the Utes have covered 2 of the 3. Like it or not, but Vegas sets the expectation bar, and Utah has cleared it every year under Larry (even the 5-win team in his first year was .500 ATS). We're off to a good start in that regard this year, too.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    It's tough for me to get excited about anything out of these games, because anything that stands you, you figured would (and should) happen anyway. But Vegas has put up huge numbers against Utah in 3 of 4 non-con games, and the Utes have covered 2 of the 3. Like it or not, but Vegas sets the expectation bar, and Utah has cleared it every year under Larry (even the 5-win team in his first year was .500 ATS). We're off to a good start in that regard this year, too.
    You know, I'm just happy to be here. I feel like we've survivied cancer and are vying for an Olympic gold medal. I'm trying to think when we ever had recruiting years like this last one, or the last three combined. And this coaching staff seems to have all the right values. On top of it all, we're in the glamorous Pac 12, which in an ironic way makes this more enjoyable than stressful. I'm just going to enjoy the ride. I really don't have any expectations beyond what we are now.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    You know, I'm just happy to be here. I feel like we've survivied cancer and are vying for an Olympic gold medal. I'm trying to think when we ever had recruiting years like this last one, or the last three combined. And this coaching staff seems to have all the right values. On top of it all, we're in the glamorous Pac 12, which in an ironic way makes this more enjoyable than stressful. I'm just going to enjoy the ride. I really don't have any expectations beyond what we are now.
    Hahah... yeah. I'm with you. Two years ago, we were losing to teams like UC-Riverside and Texas-Pan America. Now we're not only beating them, we are crushing the spirit out of them.

I agree that these games don't make it easy to gauge we will do in PAC-12 play, but I know one thing: unless the injury bug hits us, we will be very competitive.

Good points, SCP. In addition, to me, I do like seeing the execution/movement/IQ facet of the game, irrespective of whether the ball-goes-through-the-hoop and who the opponent is; thus far, yesterday's game has shown me the team is continue to improve. Sure, the level of competition is vastly different from SDSU, but the little things such as screening, blocking-out, passing angles, shot-timing, etc, are particularly important to me. I guess that's the ex-coach in me.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    You know, I'm just happy to be here. I feel like we've survivied cancer and are vying for an Olympic gold medal.
    Haha. Great line.

Holy crap. I turned the game on about halfway through the first half and we've score one point in like 5 minutes. Very sloppy playing at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Holy crap. I turned the game on about halfway through the first half and we've score one point in like 5 minutes. Very sloppy playing at the moment.
    Interesting lineups with Loveridge getting the night of to rest a knee and Reyes with 2 fouls

Oh my Poeltl!

Up close Ogbe looks 2" taller than Delon.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Up close Ogbe looks 2" taller than Delon.
    He's listed as an inch taller

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    He's listed as an inch taller
    If Maji were coaching Ogbe would be 6'2".

--Yeats

If Maji were coaching Ogbe would be 6'2".
    And everyone would know what 6" was

Ogbe and Poeltl speaking German to each other on the court.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by diehard ute View Post
    and everyone would know what 6" was
    lol

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Oh my Poeltl!
    Not quite sure why ND smalls kept attacking the rim---Poeltl kept sending them out. He probably could have had 2-3 more blocks but other Utes fouled on the plays.

Plus nice move down the lane where he switched to his left hand to finish.

These guys look lots bigger from this vantage point. (A friend gave us his courtside seats for this game.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

Alabama State has a forward named Bobby Brown.
    I guess that's their prerogative.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Alabama State has a forward named Bobby Brown.
    I guess that's their prerogative.
    Unsurprisingly, Bobby Brown is a pretty physical player. It's probably a good thing that he won't face Houston this year.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.

Unsurprisingly, Bobby Brown is a pretty physical player. It's probably a good thing that he won't face Houston this year.
    those both made me laugh, but you should cool it now.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    those both made me laugh, but you should cool it now.
    There's a traveling joke in there with Every Little Step, but I don't really like Bobby Brown; plus my kids are watching the TV now so I'm relegated to radio.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.

There's a traveling joke in there with Every Little Step, but I don't really like Bobby Brown; plus my kids are watching the TV now so I'm relegated to radio.
    Very funy.
    Another solid win. Beyond the obvious standout (Delon) were Ogbe & Tucker. Ogbe was driving--he can't finish like Delon, but he was getting to the rim & fouls.
    I thought Tucker might not have a role--but he is such a good shooter, not just from the corner any more that he will play. Plus he is in really good shape & he is really fast. Played some 2 tonight.
    Delon did look good from 3 range.

Brekkot faced his first real physical team tonight & struggled. Fouled out.
    Kuzma looked lost at first, but then focused on passing & defending & looked much better. Banged in a 3 near the end just for good measure.

Bring on the big boys---want to see how we stand/match up.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Very funy.
    Another solid win. Beyond the obvious standout (Delon) were Ogbe & Tucker. Ogbe was driving--he can't finish like Delon, but he was getting to the rim & fouls.
    I agree in this. Ogbe's ball handling has improved drastically and he is stronger when going to the rim

Delon did look good from 3 range.
    What I noticed was his lack of hesitation. He looks confident In shooting them. Almost excited. That's a good thing.

Bring on the big boys---want to see how we stand/match up.
    Amen! I think this team is starting to get into a groove.

Interesting to note that Delon is 6-6 from beyond the arc vs. everyone besides SDSU (0-5 vs the Aztecs).

Yah...it's great seeing D/Wright getting his outside stroke. He, Jlove, and some combination with other Utes will need to have a consistent output from the outside going forward. If I were defending the U, I would smother Poeltl in the paint and pack it inside...make Utah hit from outside. I have no doubt we'll hit a few, but it's the consistency that will matter. If we don't, D/Wright won't be able to penetrate and we won't be able to productively swing the ball to create shooting "lanes". Jlove and Taylor will have a hard time getting good shots off from the outside and they aren't good at creating their own shots -- against quality competition.

As Coach K2 said, the players' length is generally negated against opponents of your level. Thus far, I like the play-making improvement Taylor has made, but he and Jlove need to stop trying to make those dumb-a$$ and lazy passes. To me, thus far, the most disappointing part of our program's improvement is Jlove's basketball aptitude; I'm hopeful he will find ways to correct/improve them. Just dunno at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    Interesting to note that Delon is 6-6 from beyond the arc vs. everyone besides SDSU (0-5 vs the Aztecs).

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Yah...it's great seeing D/Wright getting his outside stroke. He, Jlove, and some combination with other Utes will need to have a consistent output from the outside going forward. If I were defending the U, I would smother Poeltl in the paint and pack it inside...make Utah hit from outside. I have no doubt we'll hit a few, but it's the consistency that will matter. If we don't, D/Wright won't be able to penetrate and we won't be able to productively swing the ball to create shooting "lanes". Jlove and Taylor will have a hard time getting good shots off from the outside and they aren't good at creating their own shots -- against quality competition.
    We now have Wright, Wright Jr, Loveridge, Taylor, Tucker, Ogbe, Kuzma, and maybe Chapman who I feel good about taking an open 3. It's a longer list than we've had in quite a while.

That's the "combination" from which I'm hopeful we can get consistent production. The future is definitely there...just hope it's the "near" future.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    We now have Wright, Wright Jr, Loveridge, Taylor, Tucker, Ogbe, Kuzma, and maybe Chapman who I feel good about taking an open 3. It's a longer list than we've had in quite a while.