Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Urban Meyer thread

Hear hear.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I have nothing but good will for Urban Meyer. Utah football made a quantum leap upward because of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OSU's third string QB is not a third string QB. Coming out of HS, he was the twelve best recruit in the country. He's not some walkon playing out of his mind. Hes a special talent.

It will be a close game. Urban can coach. And he has a great defense and a very, very good QB.

I'm rooting for Oregon (backthepac), but I think OSU has a great chance to win. Oregon hasn't faced a coach like Urban, and OSU has lost, what, 3 games since Urban has taken over 3 years ago (the same number of losses as FSU in the same time period).

OSU is very, very good. Oregon struggled a lot vs FSU's run game. Urban won't forget that.

The whole time I watched Cardale Jones I hoped with all my might that Donovan Isom would turn out to be a similar player. Given proper coaching he might be able to put a similar skill set on the field. Granted he isn't an elite QB like CJ, but he is what we have to work with.

I can't wait to see the game next week. It will be a game for the ages!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    The whole time I watched Cardale Jones I hoped with all my might that Donovan Isom would turn out to be a similar player. Given proper coaching he might be able to put a similar skill set on the field. Granted he isn't an elite QB like CJ, but he is what we have to work with.

I can't wait to see the game next week. It will be a game for the ages!
    Cardale Jones wasn't a star studded recruit. He was no more highly recruited than Travis Wilson, and his offer list was not nearly as impressive:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/fo.../cardale-jones

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/fo.../travis-wilson

What about Johnny Manzel, you say?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/fo...johnny-manziel

This doesn't surprise me. Recruiting is very important but still overrated. Marcus Mariota was rated where the best WAC-level players reside, much lower than either of the foregoing.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/fo...marcus-mariota

Isom is closer to Wilson and Jones than Mariota, which I guess is a good thing.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/fo...3/donovan-isom

The other Wilson, Russell, was a blah recruit:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/fo...russell-wilson

Finally, I have to recognize the highest rated quarterback of all among these guys:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/fo...899/jake-heaps

What makes a great quarterback? Good question. Nobody seems to know.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

The Jake Heaps info is special. Glad you included it.

In the end all of the HS talent in the world is meaningless without a college coach who will develop that talent. This is part of the reason why Urban Meyer will have THREE Heisman-watch QBs on his team next year. He is a wizard at developing QBs.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    The Jake Heaps info is special. Glad you included it.

In the end all of the HS talent in the world is meaningless without a college coach who will develop that talent. This is part of the reason why Urban Meyer will have THREE Heisman-watch QBs on his team next year. He is a wizard at developing QBs.
    I don't think the talent was ever there to begin with. They just missed on the rankings.

As for Urban developing QBs, sure, but he has also developed a simple system where he can just plug in a QB and have success.

That's part of what makes football so interesting. How much is coaching? How much is talent? How much is system? How much is the other 10 players on the field? SOS? Luck? All these questions are intractable.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't think the talent was ever there to begin with. They just missed on the rankings.

As for Urban developing QBs, sure, but he has also developed a simple system where he can just plug in a QB and have success.

That's part of what makes football so interesting. How much is coaching? How much is talent? How much is system? How much is the other 10 players on the field? SOS? Luck? All these questions are intractable.
    The most important and most mysterious position in football. It's the great leveler position.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I'm not anti-Urban Meyer, but I hope he gets his ass kicked tonight.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    I'm not anti-Urban Meyer, but I hope he gets his ass kicked tonight.

I love Urban Meyer and would never bet money against him, but completely agree! I'm all about the P12 tonight.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I love Urban Meyer and would never bet money against him, but completely agree! I'm all about the P12 tonight.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I wont even suggest anything to the contrary any more.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I wont even suggest anything to the contrary any more.
    I root for teams and people. Not leagues. So it was great to see the team with the Utah Man on its roster win and spoil the night of all the PAC 12 Fanboys within the fanbase. I've found that attitude embarrassing.

Hee hee.

Why were you Ute fans cheering for the Ogeron Fucks? You've told me you'd never cheer for BYU; why is Ogeron any different? Unless you think you're inferior to those chuckle heads in Eugene. I just came from a pub where all Husky fans were cheering for Ohio State; and the stupid Fuck fans didn't know what hit them; they were still yucking it up when Urban was up 15. Urban is a part of our history; we have a piece of that rock. This was an easy choice for me.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Like it or not, a lot of people do cheer for the conference. That's why articles like this one came out within minutes of the championship game ending:

http://collegefootball.ap.org/articl...big-ten-6-each

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Hee hee.

Why were you Ute fans cheering for the Ogeron Fucks? You've told me you'd never cheer for BYU; why is Ogeron any different? Unless you think you're inferior to those chuckle heads in Eugene. I just came from a pub where all Husky fans were cheering for Ohio State; and the stupid Fuck fans didn't know what hit them; they were still yucking it up when Urban was up 15. Urban is a part of our history; we have a piece of that rock. This was an easy choice for me.
    I conceded already. Be gracious for once in your life, although it probably is as contrary to your nature as it is for UM to be conservative on offense.

Banned
    I almost never agree with Seattleute, the dude is a cock.

However, in this case... Fuck Yeah Urban Meyer! Hell yes another National championship. This guy is a great football coach who left us far better off than he found us.

Urban is awesome, I'll give him that, and part of me is happy for him. I still would have liked to see Oregon win it, for a variety of reasons, but nothing will ever kill my gratitude to Urban.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    OSU's third string QB is not a third string QB. Coming out of HS, he was the twelve best recruit in the country. He's not some walkon playing out of his mind. Hes a special talent.

It will be a close game. Urban can coach. And he has a great defense and a very, very good QB.

I'm rooting for Oregon (backthepac), but I think OSU has a great chance to win. Oregon hasn't faced a coach like Urban, and OSU has lost, what, 3 games since Urban has taken over 3 years ago (the same number of losses as FSU in the same time period).

OSU is very, very good. Oregon struggled a lot vs FSU's run game. Urban won't forget that.
    He wasn't the 12th best recruit in the country. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/fo.../cardale-jones
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 01-12-2015 at 11:08 PM.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    I almost never agree with Seattleute, the dude is a cock.
    You don't know SeattleUte, Corporal. No man knows my history.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Urban is awesome, I'll give him that, and part of me is happy for him. I still would have liked to see Oregon win it, for a variety of reasons, but nothing will ever kill my gratitude to Urban.
    There isn't one good reason why Ute fan should have wanted Ogeron to win this game. Especially if we're supposed to be competing with them for recruits.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

There isn't one good reason why Ute fan should have wanted Ogeron to win this game. Especially if we're supposed to be competing with them for recruits.
    I don't usually root for other Pac-12 teams. I have no reason to do so. I was willing to pull for Oregon because I like Mariotta. I was willing to root for OSU because I like Meyer. I watched at a sports bar in San Antonio and let my table decide who I would root for (it was Oregon).

It was a toss up for me. I wanted the Pac 12 to do well, but I'm a huge Urban Meyer fan, as I'm sure most Ute fans are.

I'm happy for him. I think he's the best coach in the nation, possibly the best in history. I'll forever be in his debt for what he built and left us with in Utah.

I didn't have a dog in this race. Rooted for Mariota and the Ducks because I like Mariota. Rooted for Urban because it is fun to see a genius in action.

OSU wanted that game more. They balled out. That's because of Urban.

All in all, a fun game to watch.

Lol.

Anyway, Urban Meyer is the George Patton (or Erwin Rommel) of college football coaches. He's the guy you'd rather not face because he is going to find your weakness, exploit it, and leave you sitting in the dust, defeated and amazed. He's only 50. If he keeps at it he has a good chance of surpassing Bear Bryant in all-time NCs.

--Yeats

I was rooting for Oregon to win because I wanted the Pac to have the champ. It would have driven the discussion that the pac is better than the sec.

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaute View Post
    I was rooting for Oregon to win because I wanted the Pac to have the champ. It would have driven the discussion that the pac is better than the sec.
    So was I. After all the good pub the PAC-12 has gotten for being a tough conference this year, and Utah having the toughest schedule in the USA in the PAC-12 South, I wanted all that hype to be validated.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaute View Post
    Me too. Unfortunately, according to SU, it isn't a good reason.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Me too. Unfortunately, according to SU, it isn't a good reason.
    Not only that, there isn't one good reason. I hate when that happens.

--Yeats

So was I. After all the good pub the PAC-12 has gotten for being a tough conference this year, and Utah having the toughest schedule in the USA in the PAC-12 South, I wanted all that hype to be validated.
    Same here. I'm not too bummed since it was Urban Meyer. It's hard to root against him, and I'm happy for him. But I still wish Oregon would have solidified that the Pac 12 is the best conference.

I just want you guys to be consistent, and to act like you belong in the Pac 12. I was chided here for pulling for BYU against Gonzaga, even though a BYU win would have materially elevated our RPI (which was the only reason I wanted BYU to win). All the reasons that make us want bad things to happen to BYU compeled pulling for Ohio State yesterday -- unless you don't really regard Oregon as a peer and a competitor of the Utes. To me, BYU is in the past, it doesn't matter much. But Oregon is a real threat, and Oregon's success in many ways makes it harder for us to succeed. I live in a place where fans of the dominant school have been eating duck shit for many years, after the ducks ate husky shit since the dawn of football. They put rubber ducks in urinals here at Duck games. No Husky fan wanted Oregon to win, nor did Trojan, Bruin, etc. fans. For the same reasons we never cheer for BYU. So let's act like we're Oregon's rivals.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo