Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah. BYU. Enough said. - Official Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    By "badass" I mean the go-to guy, the one who consistently cracks the whip and takes over in crunch time. That's different from the guy who steps up with a great game from time to time. Taylor is the closest thing we have to that guy -- although I'll have a hard time forgetting the two crunch-time FTs he bricked against Arizona last season. I believe he's probably outgrown such lapses.
    My guess is that our "go to" guy will be Taylor. He has some serious range on his shot now and is very quick when he puts the ball on the floor. Watching him on the various shots in the huddle during timeouts, he certainly seems like the vocal leader as well.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    He doesn't have the ability to create off the dribble, but Dakarai Tucker has the biggest stones of anyone on the team. Taylor is probably next. Delon is your create-off-the-dribble guy but has struggled mightily in those last possession situations (although, as noted, the last bucket in OT vs Wichita was well-designed and well-executed).
    That's what's so exciting about this team is the variety of ways they can score. You try to take Delon and Taylor away, Tucker and Loveridge are more than willing to pick up the slack.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    My guess is that our "go to" guy will be Taylor. He has some serious range on his shot now and is very quick when he puts the ball on the floor. Watching him on the various shots in the huddle during timeouts, he certainly seems like the vocal leader as well.
    I was both amazed and thrilled at his moxie in taking the ball to the hoop in clutch moments vs. Wichita State. Love that kid!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I was both amazed and thrilled at his moxie in taking the ball to the hoop in clutch moments vs. Wichita State. Love that kid!
    He is so fun to talk to as well. I chatted him up at Fan Fest in 2013 and 2014 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

For anyone who listened to him on the KALL 700 post game show after the Wichita State game, that's pretty much how seems to be most of the time: high energy, fun, engaging, and bright.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Where does Sharp fall on the all-time Judas list (leaving Utah for the Y)? Here's what I have:

1. Trent Whiting - he could actually play and left Utah in the lurch with only Gary Colbert at PG. (Until Majerus went out and recruited Travis Spivey and let Colbert go that summer).
    2. Harvey Langi - raised a real stink, but his impact on the field has been pretty minimal over two years. He could move up.
    3. Adam Sharp - basically just a trivia answer.

Anyone else I'm forgetting?
    Travis Uale is an undisputed No. 2, no doubt about it. Not as publicized that he went to Utah, but he was part of the Fiesta Bowl team, went on a mission, went to BYU and was laying dirty hits all over the place in the 54-10 game.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Travis Uale is an undisputed No. 2, no doubt about it. Not as publicized that he went to Utah, but he was part of the Fiesta Bowl team, went on a mission, went to BYU and was laying dirty hits all over the place in the 54-10 game.
    Also, Uale's recruitment shows how what a joke BYU 10%ers are when it comes to touting admissions standards. Basically, if you can pass the Clearinghouse, you'll be admitted.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ry.html?pg=all

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    He didn't actually play for Utah, right? Let's limit the Official Judas list to guys who tasted of the sweet fruit of Utah athletics before voting for satan's plan.

Game Day! I LOVE playing BYU. I am actually giddy today, all giggles and doe-eyes. I already have ESPNU on just in case the game starts early.

I'm excited to see how the freshman handle a very hostile, yea even obscene, environment. They might be a little shell-shocked, but they might relish it. I'm expecting the latter.

Game Day! I LOVE playing BYU. I am actually giddy today, all giggles and doe-eyes. I already have ESPNU on just in case the game starts early.
    What? ESPNU? That's one of the few sports channels I don't get (along with BYUtv, Longhorn network, and SEC network). I'm gonna have to get my brothers log in. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    What? ESPNU? That's one of the few sports channels I don't get (along with BYUtv, Longhorn network, and SEC network). I'm gonna have to get my brothers log in. Thanks for the heads up.
    I'm here to help. It's also on ESPN3, btw, if you are just planning on streaming.

He didn't actually play for Utah, right? Let's limit the Official Judas list to guys who tasted of the sweet fruit of Utah athletics before voting for satan's plan.
    That fullback, Mayonnaise Tonga or whatever his name was........did he ever play for Utah? I think he was on the roster at one point.

I'm here to help. It's also on ESPN3, btw, if you are just planning on streaming.
    ESPN3 only streams the channels I can get on TV. So, everything except ESPNU. I have some obscure channels, not sure why ESPNU is not included.

So, does Judkins make the list? Not sure anyone cares that he coaches women's bball.

It's amazing how the complexion of this game has changed for me from what I imagined a couple months ago.

First off, any time you play BYU in Provo it's a dangerous game in a hostile environment.

But with Mika heading out for a mission, Collinsworth ending last season with a serious injury, and (to my knowledge) no one new coming in that was a real game changer I kind of expected this game to be a win for the Utes one way or another.

With Collinsworth bouncing back MUCH sooner than I expected, Haws doing his thing he always does, and the rest of the team seeming to gel around those two at a pretty high level, they went the distance with SDSU in a game they really should have won, and hung around with Purdue who I assume at worst has decent B1G size, talent, and depth. This game is looking a lot scarier here just hours before tip off.

It's funny how their basketball team has sort of taken up the Lavell Edwards style of play on the hardwood: just outscore 'em. This is one of those games that we could lose by 20 and we'd just have to shrug and say we caught them on a hot night. Or, we could quietly go in there and get an uneventful 15-point win. I really don't know what to make of this match up.

line right now is Utah +3.5.... Over/Under 149 ... Both seem puzzling to me.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    hung around with Purdue who I assume at worst has decent B1G size, talent, and depth. This game is looking a lot scarier here just hours before tip off.
    I saw 10 minutes of the Purdue game (only half attention, I was making dinner with it on in the background), and it was Purdue's athleticism that was giving BYU problems. A freshman guard was killing them, and a Poeltl-esque center was also scoring in bunches. The Boilermakers also managed to get all 4 of BYU's big men into foul trouble.

If we hold BYU to something like 65 points or less (as we have the last 2-3 years) we will win. Book it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    line right now is Utah +3.5.... Over/Under 149 ... Both seem puzzling to me.
    What BS. Sometimes even Vegas misses it.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I saw 10 minutes of the Purdue game (only half attention, I was making dinner with it on in the background), and it was Purdue's athleticism that was giving BYU problems. A freshman guard was killing them, and a Poeltl-esque center was also scoring in bunches. The Boilermakers also managed to get all 4 of BYU's big men into foul trouble.
    Looking at the Box score their two 7 footers played a combined 42 minutes and scored 24 points on 9-15 shooting.

BYU played Haws and Collinsworth 40 of the 45 minutes in that game, far more than they're averaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Looking at the Box score their two 7 footers played a combined 42 minutes and scored 24 points on 9-15 shooting.

BYU played Haws and Collinsworth 40 of the 45 minutes in that game, far more than they're averaging.
    Just checked it out - it was Haas, freshman I think, who was really hurting them during the 10 minutes I watched. 7 feet tall, skinny, good post moves.

BYU fans really need this game. It's all they have after all the football losses, the independence thing, and the horrible WCC games they are about to endure.

The BYU team itself also really needs a quality win before the WCC season. They only have one more chance after tonight (Stanford). If they lose both, they will enter WCC at either 0-3 or 0-4 (depending on how good Purdue ends up) in meaningful games. I don't know anything about the WCC this year, but I suspect there aren't many chances for resume building wins out there.

Driving home tonight, I was listening to some radio host along with Josh Grant talking about the game tonight. They were talking about the rivalry, how our team will handle the intensity of the crowd, etc.

I started thinking that I really want a win tonight, but not because we are playing our rival. I want the win because it is one of our good pre-conference games. I thought if I had the choice, I would gladly trade a loss tonight for a win on Saturday. That is probably not a very bold statement, but I just have a hard time getting worked up over the rivalry as much as I used to.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Where does Sharp fall on the all-time Judas list (leaving Utah for the Y)? Here's what I have:

1. Trent Whiting - he could actually play and left Utah in the lurch with only Gary Colbert at PG. (Until Majerus went out and recruited Travis Spivey and let Colbert go that summer).
    2. Harvey Langi - raised a real stink, but his impact on the field has been pretty minimal over two years. He could move up.
    3. Adam Sharp - basically just a trivia answer.

Anyone else I'm forgetting?
    never mind, I misremembered.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 12-10-2014 at 05:58 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I'm seeing an athleticism gap.

--Yeats

Coach K with the Red Gia. . .er jacket.

Byu uniforms are atrocious

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I like the way we're controlling the tempo.

--Yeats

I also like the attacking offense.

--Yeats

Horrible pass by Tucker

--Yeats

Horrible pass by Tucker
    Comes up with a block, and totally redeems himself.

Gotta watch the turnovers

--Yeats