1) Wyoming
    2) CSU
    3) New Mexico
    4) UTEP
    5) Hawaii
    6) AFA
    7) SDSU
    8) BYU
    Wyoming? There's no accounting for taste.

1. CSU
    2. Hawaii
    3. UNM
    4. Utep
    5. SDSU
    6. Wyoming
    7. Air Force (they were so boring in basketball).
    666. BYU

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Wyoming? There's no accounting for taste.
    Old WAC uniform power rankings:

1) Wyoming
    2) CSU
    3) AFA
    4) UTEP
    10) Hawaii
    40) New Mexico
    41) SDSU
    666) BYU

Old WAC combined basketball/football strength:

666. BYU
    2. CSU
    3. Hawaii
    4. Wyoming
    5. New Mexico
    6. SDSU
    7. AFA
    8. UTEP

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Dee Hart averaged 6.7 ypc this season. Finished with 1200+ yards and 16 TDs. I'm more worried about him than about our secondary. If we stop Hart, their pass game will not be successful.
    I sincerely hope you are right. You've got to think that without Paul we'll have a tough time stopping him.
    "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity." --SU

"An intellectual says something simple in a hard way. An artist says something hard in a simple way." -Bukowski

It's funny how many Utes fans "look down" at CSU because it's in MWC. I "almost" want to see CSU kick Utah's a$$ just for that reason; this will also further expose Utah's offense, offensive coaching, and secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    It's funny how many Utes fans "look down" at CSU because it's in MWC. I "almost" want to see CSU kick Utah's a$$ just for that reason; this will also further expose Utah's offense, offensive coaching, and secondary.
    I think you misnamed yourself. I think you were looking for notaute

"almost"

Plus, in general, I am a fan of sports, Utah graduate or not. I'm not blinded by the idea of where I went to school. And, that doesn't mean I'm not a Utah fan.

Look at here. I proudly "wear" my Utes.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I think you misnamed yourself. I think you were looking for notaute
    Last edited by justaute; 12-19-2014 at 02:18 PM.

"almost"

Plus, in general, I am a fan of sports, Utah graduate or not. I'm not blinded by the idea of where I went to school. And, that doesn't mean I'm not a Utah fan.
    You harp on this a lot, but is Utah's secondary really that bad? It's not our best set of dbs/safeties, but I think they've been adequate this year. They've made some errors (as young dbs do) and they've been burned when our offense has basically stopped doing anything, but I'm not sure I would put their performance in the same league as our offense's.

I think you're right about our secondary better than our offense.

Don't get me wrong, I try to assess "today" and not project "tomorrow". Just because I don't think highly about our young DBs' performance to-date, that doesn't mean they won't get better -- I'm hopeful they will. Though, I am thoroughly unimpressed with our two senior starters.

You harp on this a lot, but is Utah's secondary really that bad? It's not our best set of dbs/safeties, but I think they've been adequate this year. They've made some errors (as young dbs do) and they've been burned when our offense has basically stopped doing anything, but I'm not sure I would put their performance in the same league as our offense's.

I think you're right about our secondary better than our offense.

Don't get me wrong, I try to assess "today" and not project "tomorrow". Just because I don't think highly about our young DBs' performance to-date, that doesn't mean they won't get better -- I'm hopeful they will. Though, I am thoroughly unimpressed with our two senior starters.
    Interesting. I thought Rowe did pretty well in his switch to DB this year. I think he'll probably get drafted too.

Blechen is limited, but I didn't think he hurt us as much this year as last (which is mostly b/c we had better linebackers to cover some issues).

a couple of random bowl game thoughts.

- Bowl winning Percentage (schools with a minimum of 15 bowl game appearances).

#1 University of Utah .765 (13-4)
    #2 Ole Miss .657 (23-12)
    #3 USC .653 (32-17)

- and you never want to lose an early bowl game for the simple fact that ESPN's TV score crawler will remind your team of the loss every 7-8 minutes for the next 40 bowl games

My biggest issue with Blechen is when he gets ultra-aggressive, he takes bad angles and let WRs slip behind him. He does not have the speed to play that way and shouldn't play that way. He needs to play smarter. I do like his tackling technique when he's on-point -- shoulders squared and wrap-up.

I thought Rowe did ok, at best. His coverage has not been good. I thought he could be more physical at the line. Just my 2 pesos of opinion.

Interesting. I thought Rowe did pretty well in his switch to DB this year. I think he'll probably get drafted too.

Blechen is limited, but I didn't think he hurt us as much this year as last (which is mostly b/c we had better linebackers to cover some issues).

My biggest issue with Blechen is when he gets ultra-aggressive, he takes bad angles and let WRs slip behind him. He does not have the speed to play that way and shouldn't play that way. He needs to play smarter. I do like his tackling technique when he's on-point -- shoulders squared and wrap-up.

I thought Rowe did ok, at best. His coverage has not been good. I thought he could be more physical at the line. Just my 2 pesos of opinion.
    I agree with all of this. Those guys made mistakes this year. But we ask so much of our dbs that they are bound to mess up at times. This website has Rowe as a 3rd or 4th round selection, so he has to be doing something right (although I acknolwedge that some of that is based on potential since he made a position switch).

Sports Illustrated preview of the game:

http://www.si.com/college-football/2...s-bowl-preview

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Banned
    Utes win the Vegas bowl. Big. CSU will be surprised by the onslaught.

Justaute,

Cool pic, stance may be a little wide brother... I get stable platform, but maybe just a little too much of a good thing.
    Last edited by Devildog; 12-20-2014 at 08:39 AM.

Thanks, DD. It's wide because that was shooting on-the-move (coming around a corner) as you can see both feet are lifted. I was shooting a series of three targets and about to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Utes win the Vegas bowl. Big. CSU will be surprised by the onslaught.

Justaute,

Cool pic, stance may be a little wide brother... I get stable platform, but maybe just a little too much of a good thing.
    Last edited by justaute; 12-20-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Sam Boyd Stadium looks kinda ridiculous as a place to have a bowl game.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Last game of the year, friends!
    Let's enjoy it, it's a long off-season.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Trickeration!

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Jason Thompson was in, so there must be a rule that allows him to play.

Perhaps DC misplaced his playbook all year, and he found it this week.

Mac attack - McClellon and McCormick!

That is the way to answer.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Jason Thompson was in, so there must be a rule that allows him to play.
    Twitter world says he's finished classes so he's eligible and he'd already burned his redshirt year so he was losing the year of eligibility whether he played or not

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Twitter world says he's finished classes so he's eligible and he'd already burned his redshirt year so he was losing the year of eligibility whether he played or not
    So, he's got 1 more year?

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    So, he's got 1 more year?
    I think he'll have two. His bio says he played in 2012 as a true Freshman and redshirted last year, so that should have made him a redshirt sophomore this year.

Was the site down?

This is going to become a close game.

Yup...looks like we may be Cougar-ing this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Ute View Post
    This is going to become a close game.