Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What will the football staff look like for the 2015 season?

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Snowbird didn't quite come out and say all that, just that he had heard a shocking rumor involving a bulldog or something like that. Just wondering if Utah had heard something in addition to that.
    LOL. It wasn't Miss St Bulldogs, it was Samford Bulldogs. Sheesh!

Actually if DM and BJ came to coach I will be overjoyed. Perhaps we can get a consistent PAC-quality Oh-fense. And maybe Whitt will get hired to replace Bronco.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Majerus left because he finally accrued enough years as a state employee to qualify for lifetime health benefits. That's been documented.
    That may have been a factor. It's not why he took off in mid-season.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    That may have been a factor. It's not why he took off in mid-season.
    Must have been a special clause in his contract then....only other people who get such a benefit are legislators.

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post
    Why is everyone saying Hill wants Whitt gone? Is there anything to this, or is it just something someone threw out as a possibility?
    I over heard Gordon Monson's wife say this at the grocery store--so it must be true.

The DC hire was a bad move from the beginning. I don't know why people thought we were hiring Gary Pinkel instead of a washed up asshole from Wyoming. We need offensive stability, dynamic hires for the coaching staff, and improved recruiting. KW is not the guy for that. I'm elated that DC is gone, and hopeful that we'll get past the fear of change and turn the page on a new chapter in Utah football with a new head coach.
    Last edited by jrj84105; 12-26-2014 at 10:31 AM.

My guess (dream) on the coaching staff:

HC - Dan Mullen
    OC - Billy Gonzales
    QB - BJ
    RB - Erickson
    OL - Harding
    DC - Ed Orgeron
    DL - Steve Fifita
    LB - Orgeron
    CB - Shah
    S - Scalley

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    The DC hire was a bad move from the beginning. I don't know why people thought we were hiring Gary Pinkel instead of a washed up asshole from Wyoming. We need offensive stability, dynamic hires for the coaching staff, and improved recruiting. KW is not the guy for that. I'm elated that DC is gone, and hopeful that we'll get passed fear of change and turn the page on a new chapter in Utah football with a new head coach.
    Seems like this little episode should have been seen as a red flag:

Dave Christensen whispering sweet nothings to Troy Calhoun

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Tom cella is a buddy of mine. He is saying that whitt will meet with dr hill tomorow and dans name has come up. Sooooo yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    That may make sense to a lot of people. Still, outside the family, Whit doesn't look bad.
    Yeah, because eight OCs in eight years looks fine. The OC is gone, the DC is gone, Kyle is next- Hill is cleaning house.

Cleaning House?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Crimson View Post
    Yeah, because eight OCs in eight years looks fine. The OC is gone, the DC is gone, Kyle is next- Hill is cleaning house.
    It would take unbelievable moxy to clean house after last season with all the players we have coming back. If that is what is going on, Hill is playing with fire.

Quote Originally Posted by TribUTE View Post
    It would take unbelievable moxy to clean house after last season with all the players we have coming back. If that is what is going on, Hill is playing with fire.
    Or is it the perfect time? Odds are, if you bring in a new coach, he will have a great season. Whitt is bringing in new coaches everywhere. So a new HC isn't too different anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Or is it the perfect time? Odds are, if you bring in a new coach, he will have a great season. Whitt is bringing in new coaches everywhere. So a new HC isn't too different anyways.
    I guess we are Nebraska now and run off coaches after 9 win seasons. Hill better be careful. People that play with fire often get burned. If he screws this up, I will join the torch and pitchfork mob asking for his head as well.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    I guess we are Nebraska now and run off coaches after 9 win seasons. Hill better be careful. People that play with fire often get burned. If he screws this up, I will join the torch and pitchfork mob asking for his head as well.
    Agree,
    but I am still waiting for someone to say why Chris Hill would do this--football team won 9 games, a bowl & is ranked. New facility in place.
    BB team is ranked & new facility is being built.
    Hill is closing in on retirement.
    Why would he need this type of grief----?

Because Hill thinks he can cement his legacy. Two top 25 programs. The football team was a QB away from PAC-12 title game. He got Urban here before. Why not bring his offense back? Go out with a bang.

Whitt hasn't exactly lit the world on fire with all his OC's.

Worst case scenario? We have recruiting classes in the 50's and go 5-7.

It does seem out of character for Dr. Hill.

--Yeats

I think we have Arod and Scalley as coordinators next year, and I'm fine with that. They'll both do a nice job, and the promote from within thing will be good for us long term.

Utah football has taken another step toward mike tyson status in that anything i read is not surprising. Kyrylo fesenko could be hired today and i would just shrug my shoulders.

Kyle Whittingham was HC at Utah for a full decade. Nobody will think he was run off unfairly after burning through 8 OC's and landing a bottom tier P5 recruiting class. A bad hire could put us down to 3-4 wins, but is that really much worse than 5 wins? Now that realignment has settled in, we can only fall so far, so the risk is already largely mitigated. Hill has the opportunity to be more risk tolerant, and he's not going to get that out of a very risk averse KW. I think the general trend is away from the old-school risk averse style of football that KW embodies toward a risk heavy, offense-first, explosive style of football. The college football game at the P5 level has simply changed, and although KW got more wins this year, he didn't show that he was capable of changing his approach to match the new environment, which is what his employers really wanted to see.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    Kyle Whittingham was HC at Utah for a full decade. Nobody will think he was run off unfairly after burning through 8 OC's and landing a bottom tier P5 recruiting class.
    I will. It makes no sense to drop a guy after such a successful season. Kyle was in the running for COY until the Arizona game. He has been courted by a top national program. You don't let something like that go just so you can bring a new offensive scheme and become the new Cal, Wazzu, or Colorado. I still prefer winning over running an air raid.

No possible replacement brings what Kyle brings. I guess Anderson, Wells, Frost or Mullen are closest, but they aren't Kyle.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I will. It makes no sense to drop a guy after such a successful season. Kyle was in the running for COY until the Arizona game. He has been courted by a top national program. You don't let something like that go just so you can bring a new offensive scheme and become the new Cal, Wazzu, or Colorado. I still prefer winning over running an air raid.

No possible replacement brings what Kyle brings. I guess Anderson, Wells, Frost or Mullen are closest, but they aren't Kyle.
    Yup. We have to be careful what we wish for here. In Whit you have a proven commodity (say what you will, the guy has won 80 games here). If you try to bring in the hot coordinator, you'd better be ready for the football version of Giac or Boylen. That's not a reason to not make the move, but I think the smart play here first and foremost is for Whit and Hill to sit down and work out their differences (if there be any) before we just start looking at moving on.

Obviously if somehow a "name" is interested in the job, that would change the equation a little bit, but I would still lean on the side of doing what you can to work it out with Kyle, unless he has decided that he just doesn't want to be here and he is forcing your hand, which I have a hard-ish time believing.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Here is me for throwing my hat in the ring that all of these Whittingham getting tossed rumors as horsecrap, at least it better be.

What are we trying to do? If losing an OC (and a DC that we've been speculating since the beginning of the season was going to walk) trumps a 9 win season in the second toughest division in college football; winning against people like UCLA, USC, Michigan etc; consistently selling out the stadium; commanding one of the best special teams units in the nation; and overseeing one of the best defenses in the nation... well that is just messed up.

I will be beyond pissed if Whittingham doesn't get to coach the group he has put together.

You may as well send in your resume for OC. You will be at least on par with the skill level of Whitt's other hires.

Malaise Forever!

My fondest wish is that Kyle stays at the U. and takes the program to the promised land. So that's where i am.

(Speculation warning.) Having said that, it might just be that the powers that be are thinking very long-term and are focusing not on the next season, or even on the next 5 seasons. Maybe there's a play under way for a statement-making hire. Mullen would be such a hire, IMO. That would explain the apparent indifference to Sitake et al. leaving.

This is just me, based on what I've seen on the Internet and what I have heard Hill say on other contexts about the U's long-term plans.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    My fondest wish is that Kyle stays at the U. and takes the program to the promised land. So that's where i am.

(Speculation warning.) Having said that, it might just be that the powers that be are thinking very long-term and are focusing not on the next season, or even on the next 5 seasons. Maybe there's a play under way for a statement-making hire. Mullen would be such a hire, IMO. That would explain the apparent indifference to Sitake et al. leaving.

This is just me, based on what I've seen on the Internet and what I have heard Hill say on other contexts about the U's long-term plans.

If true, he is playing a very dangerous game. If they are ting to push a coach the caliber of Kyle out, he better know for a fact Mullen or someone of that caliber is waiting in the wings and prepared to accept. If not, I want Hill gone as well.

If true, he is playing a very dangerous game. If they are ting to push a coach the caliber of Kyle out, he better know for a fact Mullen or someone of that caliber is waiting in the wings and prepared to accept. If not, I want Hill gone as well.
    Better be more than just Mullen. Mullen had one hot season at MSU, and it was built on fluff. One year ago today, the good people of Starkville would have been happy with the prospect of him leaving.

I agree. This would be a huge nail in the coffin for the fine Dr. Hill. You could argue very easily that this was Whit's best team. You could argue that this was the U's best team of all freaking time (maybe 2004 beats them, but It would be a damn close game). This is Whit's f'ing D and it always has been. He can replace Sitake (recruiting is another thing). As far as O is concerned, we all knew DC was gone (and wanted him gone) 6 weeks ago. It's funny how him actually going somehow changes the perception.

If Hill is pushing Whit out (and he doesn't have Mullen actually signed) he has jumped the shark and needs to retire.

This is the only thing giving me pause at this moment- that this would blow up in Hill's face if he doesn't have a solid replacement in the wings (and even if he does, a lot of fans are going to be upset). Anyone can see how Hill and Boosters got fed up with Kyle's hiring blunders, but this is a really dangerous move that could be wildly unpopular.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post

I agree 100% with sancho. After watching programs run through head coaches like we go through OC's, what makes us think that the next guy is going to do better than Whit? Everyone agrees that we are one player away from having a tremendous football team. Just hire an assistant coach that has a track record of recruiting good QBs and let Whit work his magic with the rest of the team.
    Last edited by Sullyute; 12-26-2014 at 01:51 PM.

You guys are nuts.

Mississippi State will have had 19 bowl appearances and 11 bowl victories in the history of the program. Mullen will have had five of those appearances (in 6 years) and four of the victories if he wins this year. He has dominated their instate rival and led MSU to it's only #1 AP poll appearance in the history of the program. If you don't think Mullen is doing great things at a historically disadvantaged program in the only division in the country better than the PAC South, you're deluded.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Everyone agrees that we are one player away from having a tremendous football team. Just hire an assistant coach that has a track record of recruiting good QBs and let Whit work his magic with the rest of the team.
    We are an entire offense away from having a tremendous football team. Travis Wilson has bourne the brunt of all the criticism that our admin is now correctly laying at the feet of KW.