Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 105

Thread: Site issues?

  1. #1

    Site issues?

    Just FYI, for the last week or so I get this error about 33% of the time when accessing through Tapatalk (v 3.2.1):
    Error 2205 -- Forum is not responding, please try again later.

  2. #2
    I don't use tapatalk, but I have noticed the site being laggy frequently, when other sites are not on the same device. I'll click on a post or link, and it will stall when loading, and take up to 30 seconds or do to load the new page.
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

  3. #3
    Reinstall Tapatalk. I had the same issue last summer.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    880
    I've noticed another issue.

    When searching this site on google chrome I get an error message of file not found. If I hit the back error and click on it again I can get it. Anybody else have this issue?

  5. #5
    Now that I'm mechanically running this little site I'll look into it on Monday and see if there is something I need to do.

  6. #6
    Still seeing the same error, maybe even more often. Just FYI.

  7. #7
    When I access the site from my phone (no tapatalk) I get the generic vBulletin format - no pretty Rice Eccles background like before. The real problem is the generic format doesn't have a "What's New" button!@

  8. #8
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    When I access the site from my phone (no tapatalk) I get the generic vBulletin format - no pretty Rice Eccles background like before. The real problem is the generic format doesn't have a "What's New" button!@
    I'm having the same problem.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    When I access the site from my phone (no tapatalk) I get the generic vBulletin format - no pretty Rice Eccles background like before. The real problem is the generic format doesn't have a "What's New" button!@
    Conversely, I am not a fan of the new Tapatalk update. Very busy and hard to get used to.

  10. #10
    I hate to be that guy (the guy who uses a message board for free and then complains about it), but UB5 has become really hard to use for non-tapatalk users. I have to go into each individual category to see what is being discussed. Is there a quick fix to bring back the old format where we had the "What's New" button? If not, no worries, but it makes the phone experience a million times better.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I hate to be that guy (the guy who uses a message board for free and then complains about it), but UB5 has become really hard to use for non-tapatalk users. I have to go into each individual category to see what is being discussed. Is there a quick fix to bring back the old format where we had the "What's New" button? If not, no worries, but it makes the phone experience a million times better.
    I still have said option on the regular site.

  12. #12
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I hate to be that guy (the guy who uses a message board for free and then complains about it), but UB5 has become really hard to use for non-tapatalk users. I have to go into each individual category to see what is being discussed. Is there a quick fix to bring back the old format where we had the "What's New" button? If not, no worries, but it makes the phone experience a million times better.
    If I go to the regular site (not Tapatalk) on my iPad or iPhone I sometimes have gotten a weird view. There is a very simple way to bypass that, but I don't recall what it was!

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I still have said option on the regular site.
    Hmmm, are you running Android? Mine is just a generic vbulletin page.

    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't have a phone, so I don't know if it works for you. But there is an "activity stream" link that I use for that.
    Nope, that's the button that I want. That's the only way to follow this board, in my opinion, but I can only do it from my computer.

  14. #14

    Site issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Hmmm, are you running Android? Mine is just a generic vbulletin page.



    Nope, that's the button that I want. That's the only way to follow this board, in my opinion, but I can only do it from my computer.
    Nope. iPhone viewing the desktop site on safari

    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Diehard Ute; 02-02-2015 at 10:51 AM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    If I go to the regular site (not Tapatalk) on my iPad or iPhone I sometimes have gotten a weird view. There is a very simple way to bypass that, but I don't recall what it was!
    Booyah! Thanks, LA. This apparently non-helpful help totally worked.

    The trick is to go to the vbulletin menu (it looks like a 3 by 3 matrix) and then avoid all the choices, scroll down to the bottom and click on "go to full site." Viola!

    Thanks, admins!

  16. #16
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Booyah! Thanks, LA. This apparently non-helpful help totally worked.

    The trick is to go to the vbulletin menu (it looks like a 3 by 3 matrix) and then avoid all the choices, scroll down to the bottom and click on "go to full site." Viola!

    Thanks, admins!
    Yes, that was it! It's been a while since I figured that out (almost by accident) but I remember laughing at how (a) simple, but also (b) non-intuitive it was.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  17. #17

  18. #18
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,053
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    Anyone noticed how jacked up the Advanced Search page looks?
    I just now noticed it because you pointed me to it. Summon Orange Ute!

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  19. #19
    Jarid, I think your site may have some malware on it redirecting people to pornographic sites, much to my near embarrassment.

    I was at a remote location, I jumped onto a public computer within an office, thought I'd check out UB5, simply typed 'utahby5' into the address bar (which on my own computer typically gets autofilled to the correct address) and then hit return. It took me to a google search for 'utahby5' so I clicked on the top link which took me to a pornographic site. I shut it down immediately, and thought maybe that public computer had some malware on it.

    Later I did the same thing on my personal computer (typed 'utahby5' in the URL with no '.com') on a different browser that I typically use, did the same thing with the same result, this time directing me to a malware site. You can do private browsing and duplicate it if you'd like, but I've tried now on three different computers with the same result (save your pervert jokes please).

    It appears the link to utahby5.com redirects to utahby5.com/activity.php which is including a strange url parameters after it (I caught one quick - don't click on this link btw http://www.utahby5.com/activity.php?), which I would guess is causing the redirect. You may want to have your host check out your site to make sure it is all clean.



    Anyway, thought you should know.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Jarid, I think your site may have some malware on it redirecting people to pornographic sites, much to my near embarrassment.

    I was at a remote location, I jumped onto a public computer within an office, thought I'd check out UB5, simply typed 'utahby5' into the address bar (which on my own computer typically gets autofilled to the correct address) and then hit return. It took me to a google search for 'utahby5' so I clicked on the top link which took me to a pornographic site. I shut it down immediately, and thought maybe that public computer had some malware on it.

    Later I did the same thing on my personal computer (typed 'utahby5' in the URL with no '.com') on a different browser that I typically use, did the same thing with the same result, this time directing me to a malware site. You can do private browsing and duplicate it if you'd like, but I've tried now on three different computers with the same result (save your pervert jokes please).

    It appears the link to utahby5.com redirects to utahby5.com/activity.php which is including a strange url parameters after it (I caught one quick - don't click on this link btw http://www.utahby5.com/activity.php?), which I would guess is causing the redirect. You may want to have your host check out your site to make sure it is all clean.



    Anyway, thought you should know.
    I've had the same thing happen.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  21. #21
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,053
    FWIW, that hasn't happened to me yet.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    FWIW, that hasn't happened to me yet.
    I keep trying, but it hasn't happened to me yet either!

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Jarid, I think your site may have some malware on it redirecting people to pornographic sites, much to my near embarrassment.

    I was at a remote location, I jumped onto a public computer within an office, thought I'd check out UB5, simply typed 'utahby5' into the address bar (which on my own computer typically gets autofilled to the correct address) and then hit return. It took me to a google search for 'utahby5' so I clicked on the top link which took me to a pornographic site. I shut it down immediately, and thought maybe that public computer had some malware on it.

    Later I did the same thing on my personal computer (typed 'utahby5' in the URL with no '.com') on a different browser that I typically use, did the same thing with the same result, this time directing me to a malware site. You can do private browsing and duplicate it if you'd like, but I've tried now on three different computers with the same result (save your pervert jokes please).

    It appears the link to utahby5.com redirects to utahby5.com/activity.php which is including a strange url parameters after it (I caught one quick - don't click on this link btw http://www.utahby5.com/activity.php?), which I would guess is causing the redirect. You may want to have your host check out your site to make sure it is all clean.



    Anyway, thought you should know.
    Had the same issue several months ago.

  24. #24
    Malleus Cougarorum Solon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lost in the Flood.
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I was trying to get my brother to join us here, and it happened to him at work. He hasn't tried again.
    Of course your brother isn't going to join us now - he's too busy checking out that other site.
    I've had this happen too but, like Rocker, I wasn't on my home computer and figured it was junk on the public one.
    I just tried it on my home computer and my anti-virus blocked something.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

  25. #25
    I got it once while having my wife look for some info on my phone while driving to a basketball game. She was less than enthused when she thought I was telling her to go to a porn site for me.

  26. #26
    It's hilarious that LA Ute wants it crystal clear he has never visited a porn site, even involuntarily because of a moose bug.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  27. #27
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,053
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    It's hilarious that LA Ute wants it crystal clear he has never visited a porn site, even involuntarily because of a moose bug.
    I'm mainly feeling kind of left out.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'm mainly feeling kind of left out.
    It's never happened on any of my devices, but I just tried it on my wife's iPad (no Adblock) and I have now found some new adult friends.

  29. #29
    Malleus Cougarorum Solon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lost in the Flood.
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by SavaUte View Post
    I got it once while having my wife look for some info on my phone while driving to a basketball game. She was less than enthused when she thought I was telling her to go to a porn site for me.
    This is like a sitcom episode. I can almost hear you explaining, "it's not usually a porn site! I go there for the articles!"
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    This is like a sitcom episode. I can almost hear you explaining, "it's not usually a porn site! I go there for the articles!"
    "Come and knock on our door... (Come and knock on our door)
    We've been waiting for you.... (We've been waiting for you)
    Where the p*rn views are hers and hers and his,
    Three's company too."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •