Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Pac-12 homestand: USC & UCLA

First Pac-12 homestand: USC & UCLA

OK, the preseason is a distant memory - beating up on Wichita, BYU, UNLV, and North Dakota while falling to Kansas and SDSU on the road.

Tonight we begin our quest for the Pac-12 crown (that's right Arizona). Our Top Ten Utes start off with 8-4 USC. They had some bad losses early in the year (Portland St, Akron) but have picked it up with some decent road wins recently (New Mexico, Boston College). The only tournament-level team that they've faced thus far is Penn St, who they lost to by 2 on the road. This game is not a walk in the park.

The best thing about this weekend's games? Applejack will be in the house for both!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Applejack will be in the house for both!
    See you there! (tonight, anyway)

Two pretty good opponents, but we should sweep these folks from southern california. Ill be watching to see how Jordan Loveridge does in his return. He is 68 points away from the 1000 point club.

I'll be heading home to L.A. today, but other board members will be in my seats for both games, representing.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'll be heading home to L.A. today, but other board members will be in my seats for both games, representing.

Why didn't you plan it to stick around for the SC game? Is the traffic from Vegas to So Cal awful on Saturdaya as well?

Yes we are Dish. Thanks for noticing.

I'm a bit surprised by how big the line is for tonight (Utes -17.5).

This is not a walk in the park, but I hope/expect the Utes to take care of business without making us sweat too much. I'll take the Utes 77-62.

Things to watch:

Does Loveridge start? How many minutes will he get, and how will he look?
    Can Chapman continue his stellar play? Can he stay out of foul trouble enough to get 20+ minutes?
    Can the MUSS please get a few signs/chants directed toward Julian Jacobs?
    What will the crowd be like? Am I too optimistic in hoping for 13-14k to show up tonight?

Do you think we see Larry tighten the rotation a bit here for conference play? If so, who are the odd men out? I suspect we'll see very little of Olsen unless Bach and Poetel are both in foul trouble.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    Why didn't you plan it to stick around for the SC game? Is the traffic from Vegas to So Cal awful on Saturdaya as well?
    Got some things to do on the way home and I need to be back by Saturday night. Been gone since Dec. 21. Not thrilled about it but that's life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-02-2015 at 10:46 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Do you think we see Larry tighten the rotation a bit here for conference play?
    I hope not. I like our 10 man rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I hope not. I like our 10 man rotation.
    The only guys who I could see him limiting would maybe be Isaiah Wright and Kuzma, but at the same time, I'd love for our freshmen to have enough experience to not get rattled come tourney time.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    Things to watch:

He looked good against Carroll College. I expect to see a lot of him.

What will the crowd be like? Am I too optimistic in hoping for 13-14k to show up tonight?
    I hope it will be a good crowd. Last holiday game that isn't on a Sunday. The last chance for mom to kick dad and the kids out of the house and regroup before school starts.

This is not a walk in the park, but I hope/expect the Utes to take care of business without making us sweat too much. I'll take the Utes 77-62.

Things to watch:

Can Chapman continue his stellar play? Can he stay out of foul trouble enough to get 20+ minutes?
    Can the MUSS please get a few signs/chants directed toward Julian Jacobs?
    Last year the MUSS was in the head of USC players. They were pretty close to over the line against one player in particular. I don't remember specifics, I just remember the generalities. We were sitting a couple of sections away and were a little embarassed by some of the things they were saying.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    The only guys who I could see him limiting would maybe be Isaiah Wright and Kuzma, but at the same time, I'd love for our freshmen to have enough experience to not get rattled come tourney time.
    I think we will have a 9 man rotation most of the season with Wright Jr, Kuzma, and Olsen on the bench. But all three will get some minutes when the circumstances call for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think we will have a 9 man rotation most of the season with Wright Jr, Kuzma, and Olsen on the bench. But all three will get some minutes when the circumstances call for it.
    In Carroll post-game Larry K talked about using Loveridge at the 4 with 3 shooters. IMO no reason to go that way:
    rather see Brekkot & Loveridge at 3 & 4 with Jakob, Delon & (Tucker/Taylor/Ogbe)--whoever has hot hand. That would be a scoring group.

The U posted this on Instagram:

Don't forget to be in your seats by 7:50 for the last of the JHC renovations
    Any ideas on what it is?

Per Kyle Goon:

@kylegoon: Utah reveals a pregame on-court projection about the program's history, All-Americans, NBAers, etc. Actually a pretty neat effect. #Utes
    I like this projection things. That's cool.

Utes rolling. Played 9 guys so far at the under 8 timeout in the first. Chapman playing well.

How many missed two free throws will we have this year? Two so far this game alone
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    How many missed two free throws will we have this year? Two so far this game alone
    Too many. They will cost us a close game.

Vegas knows we're good and we've been monsters against the spread under Larry. Even in our 5-win season, we were close to .500 ATS. Utah has been a cash machine for bettors for the better part of three years now.

Great to get this win! Have we ever been 1-0 in conference play? At this time, i like the nine man rotation. Still some things to clean up, but that was much better than i anticipated, bring on the bruins! Looking to go 4-0 versus theSo Cal schools in the major sports!

Great game that was never in doubt.
    Is ucla much of a test this year? Doesn't look like it from their schedule. We should be their 5th loss in a row.

They lost ever single big game they have played.

The Great- we won the game easily.

The Good- there are so many areas in which we can improve

The Bad- free throws; we'll need them.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Great game that was never in doubt.
    Is ucla much of a test this year? Doesn't look like it from their schedule. We should be their 5th loss in a row.

They lost ever single big game they have played.
    They only have about 8-9 players on the team--so no depth & 2nd game at altitude could get ugly for them.

USC: what was Julien Jacobs thinking tonight---study hard & transfer here, should be in his head--playing in front of a full house instead of 5,000 bored SC "fans". He is a good player.
    SC's "system" of run & gun is lacking. And their shoes were not good.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    We can shoot 50% from the line as long as we shoot 58% from 3.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    2015 strategy: no close games.

Here's video of the pre-game presentation that they started tonight. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152984320450960

First Pac-12 homestand: USC & UCLA

Straight YouTube version of the video http://youtu.be/59i9ScXHuSo

I loved it.

Guess the idea came from the Cavs. Said we may be the first college team with the system. We spent about 200K. Cavs spent far more.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    We can shoot 50% from the line as long as we shoot 58% from 3.
    Haha. True. I would take that trade.