Thread: "The Imitation Game"

"The Imitation Game"

We saw this over the Christmas break. Benedict Cumberbatch will be Oscar-nominated for Best Actor and will be a favorite to win it. Terrific movie. Might even get a Best Picture nod in part because of the social justice/human rights theme. At the end the movie hits you over the head a little with that theme, but that probably won't hurt its chances. Highly recommended.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I liked this one but didn't love it. For one thing, I think it never once attempted to explain how the machine worked. I think the producers thought the audience was too dumb to understand, but we didn't even get a good Hollywood analogysplnation ("it's like trying all the combinations on a padlock...")