Thread: The Professional Dangers of Social Media

The Professional Dangers of Social Media

I thought this article was pretty interesting about how careful folks have to be with what they post on social media: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/ma...life.html?_r=0
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I thought this article was pretty interesting about how careful folks have to be with what they post on social media: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/ma...life.html?_r=0
    That was a good read. I remember the Justine case very well. I remember thinking "wow! what was she thinking!". Its amazing how fast things can spread. It is good to hear that she has found a job and is hopefully getting a normal life as possible.

The other one that sticks out to me is the girl in the Netherlands, about a year ago, who threatened an airline, and ended up getting arrested. Id love to hear an update on her. She went bonkers that day, constantly changing her story and lashing out at dozens of people.

I gave up twitter because in addition to being time consuming, I was part of the problem. And something like this could have happened to me, though Id hope not to this extent.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    That was a good read. I remember the Justine case very well. I remember thinking "wow! what was she thinking!". Its amazing how fast things can spread. It is good to hear that she has found a job and is hopefully getting a normal life as possible.

The other one that sticks out to me is the girl in the Netherlands, about a year ago, who threatened an airline, and ended up getting arrested. Id love to hear an update on her. She went bonkers that day, constantly changing her story and lashing out at dozens of people.

I gave up twitter because in addition to being time consuming, I was part of the problem. And something like this could have happened to me, though Id hope not to this extent.
    Well and the other thing that was so evident by the article to me was that even if she was in the wrong (and she was) the new mob mentality that exists online is remarkable and a bit dangerous.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Well and the other thing that was so evident by the article to me was that even if she was in the wrong (and she was) the new mob mentality that exists online is remarkable and a bit dangerous.
    Yep, it seems that more indignation and disgust with which one reacts on twitter, the more "likes" and "retweets" one gets. And there is no accountability for the average joe, who can create a profile, put Captain Planet as their picture and then say whatever they want to whoever they want.

As the article pointed out, we reach a spot where the behavior of the folks reacting is far, far worse than the original offender. I mean, yeah, what Justine said was really stupid, but to put out death threats on her and her family and friends? Yeah, thats worse.

Here's another one...guys taking to social media to be vile about Curt Schilling's Daughter: https://38pitches.wordpress.com/2015...as-it-changed/

It looks like one of the tweeters got fired and another one got suspended from college. I like seeing people held accountable for the things they do on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    It looks like one of the tweeters got fired and another one got suspended from college. I like seeing people held accountable for the things they do on the internet.
    The Teen Brain: It's Just Not Grown Up Yet

Also, the guy who got fired:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/03/yank...lings-daughter
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-03-2015 at 01:07 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell