Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Hiking/Trail Running/Backpacking Thread

In Glacier National Park, We hiked to the Hidden Lake Lookout today from Logan Pass. We had to hike up snow fields with a lot of tourists, mostly foreign.
    image.jpg
    At the lookout, there were more mountain goats than foreign tourists. We watched them descend the cliffs of a hill, cross a snow drift filled valley, and came right over to where we were observing.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3ZVua770UedQXpqeThjaDk3bVE

As we started our hike back, we came upon two baby goats playing together.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U9sOX17crMibrbq7UF1kJWCywA4bDNZ1kw

And of course the scenery was amazing. We hoped to hike down to the lake, but the trail was closed due to likely bear activity. Since a guy was killed a couple of days ago neat GNP by a bear, we took the warning seriously.
    image.jpg
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 07-03-2016 at 07:37 AM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

That looks beautiful!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

This hiking PSA stars my great-niece:

She's a great kid, now studies at Weber State. Her dad (my nephew) is a member of the LDS Institute faculty at the U.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

this thread needed some love.

my daughter and I and the dog did the Lofty Lake Loop in the Uinta's a few days ago (5 mile loop, the first 2 miles going counter clockwise will make your heart pump a little)

part of the trail is still buried in a foot or more of snow. That day it was 100 in SLC at 5 pm when me made it back to the car, it was 66 degrees. Personally I think this is one of the 5 best hikes in Utah. It passes 4 mountain lakes, gets you up to around 10,000 feet and passes by long stretches of gorgeous mtn meadows.

20170717_1427271.jpg20170717_1555201.jpg20170717_1601451.jpg

Uinta's are such a beautiful place, but clearly Mother Nature is in control there and you are their guest.
    Last edited by Scorcho; 08-09-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Not to ruin a great thread, but what is it with people who don't pick up their dogs crap. I take my dog to Dog Lake up Millcreek Canyon at least once a week and have decided that the three things that produce a reaction of hate in me are seeing photos of Trump, almost everything BYU and dog shit on a trail. While owners of larger dogs are also at fault, my sense is that people with small dogs think their dogs crap looks like small tootsie rolls and they don't need to pick it up. I mean, who doesn't like tootsie rolls? rant over. thanks for listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    this thread needed some love.

my daughter and I and the dog did the Lofty Lake Loop in the Uinta's a few days ago (5 mile loop, the first 2 miles going counter clockwise will make your heart pump a little)

part of the trail is still buried in a foot or more of snow. That day it was 100 in SLC at 5 pm when me made it back to the car, it was 66 degrees. Personally I think this is one of the 5 best hikes in Utah. It passes 4 mountain lakes, gets you up to around 10,000 feet and passes by long stretches of gorgeous mtn meadows.

Uinta's are such a beautiful place, but clearly Mother Nature is in control there and you are their guest.
    We are leaving in the morning to take some scouts on a 3 day backpacking trip in the uintas. Of the three scouts, one is well along on the autism spectrum, so we probably won't go in far. If we had stronger scouts, I'd love to do Red Castle , but it isn't in the cards this year.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Not to ruin a great thread, but what is it with people who don't pick up their dogs crap. I take my dog to Dog Lake up Millcreek Canyon at least once a week and have decided that the three things that produce a reaction of hate in me are seeing photos of Trump, almost everything BYU and dog shit on a trail. While owners of larger dogs are also at fault, my sense is that people with small dogs think their dogs crap looks like small tootsie rolls and they don't need to pick it up. I mean, who doesn't like tootsie rolls? rant over. thanks for listening.
    What bugs me about this is that cleaning up after a dog is so easy to do.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

When we first got married I lived by Tanner Park. Tons of dogs, tons of dog crap.

Here is the problem, if you have 100 people go with their dogs in the park (or canyon) a day only one may not clean up their dog crap. Yet after 7 days you have 7 piles on the trail and it feels like (and is) a massive mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are in Jackson, WY for the weekend. My parents have a condo for the week, so my wife and I decided to come keep them company.

There is so much smoke in the air, the views of the Tetons are not as spectacular as usual. So we decided to go on a hike to get a little closer. We chose Taggart lake, a trail between 4-5 miles, an about 500' in elevation gain/loss (its a loop). It turned out to be very nice. I'd like to do some more serious hiking up here, but this was about the extent that my parents could handle. It would be a great hike with kids. In fact, we saw some families up there with young kids who were playing in the water.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

IMG_5131 copy.jpg
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 09-04-2017 at 01:09 PM.

I love the Tetons. Great pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro