Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Oregon Trail: Utes vs. Oregon St. & Oregon

We just need to stay focused now.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We just need to stay focused now.
    I'm doing my best. Haven't even attempted at washing the dishes yet.

The dagger

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

We win!

Hopefully our guys watched the Tarheels last night.

Offensive strategy: lower your shoulder and aim for crimson.

Some very nice dunks from OSU when it doesn't matter. Too little too late!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

How does Wayne feel knowing that he has an entire career of losing to his former teammate ahead of him?

Way to gut out the win Utes! Did something Arizona couldn't do.

phew....

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I'm doing my best. Haven't even attempted at washing the dishes yet.
    Thanks for hanging tough.

--Yeats

Man....I really think PAC 12 basketball is primed for some serious growth in the coming years. Good coaching talent with a lot of prized recruits coming in. Just think...OSU played without its #2 scorer tonight and has 7 walk-on players.

Really happy to see Taylor continues to improve and Tucker stepping up tonight. Loveridge is a known quantity -- just would like to see him step-up in big games.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Man....I really think PAC 12 basketball is primed for some serious growth in the coming years. Good coaching talent with a lot of prized recruits coming in. Just think...OSU played without its #2 scorer tonight and has 7 walk-on players.

Really happy to see Taylor continues to improve and Tucker stepping up tonight. Loveridge is a known quantity -- just would like to see him step-up in big games.
    I Thought Taylor had an off night. He had at least 4 bad turnovers, and was not shooting well, until he totally redeemed himself with the two big three pointers at the end. Getting those threes as wide open as he was had to feel good for him.

This is a fun team. It's great to see the depth we have of players that can step up in any given game. Tucker and Olsen gave us nice boosts tonight.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Yah...regarding Taylor, I was thinking those late 3s he had. When the game was still in doubt, glad to see him hit those big shots.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I Thought Taylor had an off night. He had at least 4 bad turnovers, and was not shooting well, until he totally redeemed himself with the two big three pointers at the end. Getting those threes as wide open as he was had to feel good for him.

This is a fun team. It's great to see the depth we have of players that can step up in any given game. Tucker and Olsen gave us nice boosts tonight.

The announcers were saying they had thge #18 recruiting class in the country.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Recap: Utah men's basketball hands Oregon State first home loss of season

http://pac-12.com/videos/recap-utah-...me-loss-season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

Yah...regarding Taylor, I was thinking those late 3s he had. When the game was still in doubt, glad to see him hit those big shots.
    The 3 Loveridge hit was also critical, not only for the win last night, but for Loveridge going forward. Going down the stretch and into the Tourney the Utes will need everyone to be confident and feeling good about themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Who was their #2 scorer that was out? I didn't think OSU had any scorers.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    The 3 Loveridge hit was also critical, not only for the win last night, but for Loveridge going forward. Going down the stretch and into the Tourney the Utes will need everyone to be confident and feeling good about themselves.
    That was a huge 3. Overall last night, I thought Loveridge was awful.

Great win though. Ugly but great. Sunday will be a big test for this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Little assassin.
    I've updated my nickname for him: The Nasty Assassin.

I heard them say that as well. I was scratching my head wondering if that is true. Didn't take the time to look it up though. Is it true?

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    I heard them say that as well. I was scratching my head wondering if that is true. Didn't take the time to look it up though. Is it true?
    Tinkle's son is quite good--Utah wanted him badly and had a real shot until Tinkle took the OSU job. I believe another one of the assistant coaches has a highly rated son coming in as well. They have a couple other good players in the class, but the key to their class is the coaches having talented sons.

That said, I don't know that Tinkle will be there long. He is a very good coach and OSU is a graveyard job. You have to wonder if he won't be out of there quickly if he gets an offer to a program that has been to the NCAA in the last 25 years.

I think most casual observes would have fallen asleep last night. I was planning on it, but I just could not take my eyes off of that game last night. These were not two awful teams that could not throw the ball in the ocean. These were two defensive juggernauts going toe to toe. Offensively, it looked like two teams playing 5 on 7 basketball. Every drive was cut off, but there was nowhere to pass the ball. The "help the helper" defense was going full tilt on both ends of the floor. Every time it looked like someone had a lane, the ball was cut off, the drop offs were covered and guys at the 3 point line were run off when the ball came back out. The help defense, the defensive rotation, the running at shooters under control, the whole thing: it was a thing of beauty.

Because of that, this game hinged on whoever could hit 1 or 2 shots down the stretch when it mattered. When crunch time hit, The Nasty Assassin was helped by a couple of shots from JLove, Tucker, and DWright to put the game away. That's it. Game over.

The intriguing thing to me is this: a few years ago, under Jim Boylen, we lose a game like this, and what we hear is "the ball didn't go in the hole". We mocked him for it, but the concept is true: you have to put the ball into the hole to win. The difference is that Boylen recruited 10 guys like Reyes - tough, gritty, hard nosed guys that do the dirty work - but he forgot the shooters. Krystkoviak has shooters up and down this roster and he has sprinkled in a couple of tough guys (Reyes, Bachynski, Taylor does both). Nearly everyone can put the ball into the hole and it paid off in spades in this game. You didn't know who was going to step up and hit big shots, and when it comes down to it, not one guy did. It was a group of 3 or 4 guys who each hit one or two shots that won the game for us.

On JO over Bachynski: I don't think this was an indictment of Bachynski. Krystkoviak knew that he just needed one or two shots to win the game and you didn't need a terrific defender for OSU's bigs. If you stood your ground behind them and put a hand up on their shots, they missed. What we did need was someone who could make a shot and I thought JO played that role perfectly. He played fundamental defense and had the offensive skills to hit one or two critical shots.

EDIT: The same reason we didn't see much of Reyes and more of Loveridge and Chapman. We needed offense.

It was really nice to see the Utes grind out a win like that. It bodes really well for us come tournament time. These guys are as mentally tough as any of Rick's teams.
    Last edited by U-Ute; 02-20-2015 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    It was really nice to see the Utes grind out a win like that. It bodes really well for us come tournament time. These guys are as mentally tough as any of Rick's teams.
    It was an exhausting game for me as a fan. I wonder if we will be sluggish in Eugene on Sunday.

http://oregonstate.247sports.com/Sea...etball/Commits

I think some of their players in their class are overrated, based on offers received (I mean, come on, youre telling me that a kid just outside the top 100 only has offers from Wazzu, Ore St, and Portland? Yeah, no.) Also worth noting that this site still lists Noah T as one of our commits.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    That said, I don't know that Tinkle will be there long. He is a very good coach and OSU is a graveyard job. You have to wonder if he won't be out of there quickly if he gets an offer to a program that has been to the NCAA in the last 25 years.
    He has to be #1 on the list for teams searching for coaches, right? No big mid-major coaches this year - I guess whoever coaches Murray St or SFA (by the way, Randy Bennett had his chance to get out of Dodge, but he was greedy and is now stuck there).

If I were UCLA, I'd buy Alford out right now to hire Tinkle.

But would his son be able to transfer? He'd have to sit our a year, right?
    Last edited by sancho; 02-20-2015 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    http://oregonstate.247sports.com/Sea...etball/Commits

I think some of their players in their class are overrated, based on offers received (I mean, come on, youre telling me that a kid just outside the top 100 only has offers from Wazzu, Ore St, and Portland? Yeah, no.)
    I don't ever want to be on a team where my teammate is the coach's son.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    He has to be #1 on the list of teams searching for coaches, right?
    Actually, I guess Larry K could be the #1, but he aint going nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It was an exhausting game for me as a fan. I wonder if we will be sluggish in Eugene on Sunday.
    I hadn't considered that, but you're right. Hopefully our depth continues to help us here. I don't think the guys who expended the mental energy last night will be the ones called upon to win the game sunday. Oregon plays a different style that should impact a different set of players. Except Taylor. He brings it every night, but that kid is tough as nails so I know he'll be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I hadn't considered that, but you're right. Hopefully our depth continues to help us here. I don't think the guys who expended the mental energy last night will be the ones called upon to win the game sunday. Oregon plays a different style that should impact a different set of players. Except Taylor. He brings it every night, but that kid is tough as nails so I know he'll be ready.
    If we start like we did @UCLA, I hope he brings in Kuzma and Wright Jr and tells them to press on defense and push on O. Yup, we'll beat Oregon at their own game with our 11th and 12th men.