Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: 2015 NCAA Tournament

Xavier-Arizona is a great game. I am struggling with deciding which team to root for. I like Xavier's quirkiness -- their big, Stainbrook, is the most unlikely-looking Sweet Sixteen big I'vre seen. I also can't stand Sean Miller. But part of me wants the team we could't beat this year to do well.

Regardless of which team I root for, Arizona is starting to pull away.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I cannot think of a less masculine article of clothing than white tights in Capri length. Yet half of the players in college basketball wear them.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

2015 NCAA Tournament

Watching the Wiscy-AZ game. I think Sean Miller is going to pop a vein in his forehead.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

For whatever reason, I was pulling for Arizona...all for king and conference or something like that (I also picked them in my fledgling bracket). However, and this may just be cold hearted, but I kind of enjoy seeing them cry.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

ND\Kentucky is unreal

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Same crew that officiated Utah \ Arizona. They're terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Why just give him a warning? Tech him up if you want him to stop cussing you out.
    That reminds me --I haven't seen a lot of T's on coaches this year. I can't think of one. Have they decreased? Or am I just not noticing them?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    That reminds me --I haven't seen a lot of T's on coaches this year. I can't think of one. Have they decreased? Or am I just not noticing them?
    Coaches run the college game like superstars run the pro game. Noticing that no T's called on college coaches is no different than noticing that no traveling is called on NBA superstars.

Hard to watch this and not wonder how Utah would have done against the Zags.

Also, I wonder why Sabonis is not getting more minutes. He looks like the best player on the team.
    He was playing the 4 & taking people off the dribble.
    Pound the ball inside.

Plus how can they not hack Okafor --when they are down 5 & he touches the ball.

Not sure why a kid would want to play for Mark Few over Larry K; now that we are back on track & the new BB facility is done this summer there will be even fewer reasons.

--Yeats

ESPN had a preview of the Final Four over the weekend, and they mentioned that the 4 coaches in this year's Final Four have a combined 25 appearances in the Final Four - the most ever for any Final Four.

This should prove to be entertaining.

Game Day. Kentucky and Duke both win by double digits, setting up the final that people have been wanting all season.
    Mich St can not play with Duke. Have red-colored glasses, but Utah looking better & better as they at least gave Duke a game.

Looks like KY lost composure in the final seconds. 😛

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

Michigan State snuck into this final four but didn't belong. Plus, Duke is an up and down team, and when they are up, they will destroy anyone. We caught them in a down game.
    We caught them in a down game? Are you kidding me Sancho. We caused their down game. I'm not saying we're better than Duke but give the Utes some credit. The defense was outstanding. If you want to play that game I suppose I could say they caught us on a down game since we shot so poorly. Duke's terrific and deserves to be in the title game but I agree with Old Standing Ute. We are looking good with every passing Duke win. We played them very well.

They had two big calls go against them, and then they panicked. They had everyone except their best player Townes taking shots. Wisconsin, on the other hand, made sure they had their best player (Dekkar) take the big shot.
    I hate KY--but still compare who are the freshmen at Duke vs. KY. Okafor, Jones, Wisdom are all now known names & appear to be lottery picks. Townes & ??, have to read a mock draft to see who else. Or maybe they were not as good as the hype.
    they appear to be well-coached, but not sure you can really tell.

but I assume based on social media alone they re-load.
    And Hopefully just like the Utes end their season with a Loss.

Titus on Grantland has been preaching how exceptional offense always beats exceptional defense, and he was right last night. What made KY so scary is their defense. But the best defensive teams in the tournament will all be watching Monday night as two great offenses play for the title.

Still, as a Duke fan I would rather play WI than KY. They are both obviously very very good. With KY, Okafor has to guard Townes, which I don't like at all. On the other hand, Townes doesn't have to guard Okafor since Cauley-Stein can do that. Plus, KY's length makes it hard for Duke to get 3's. Tough matchup for Duke. I watched the Duke/WI game back in the Fall, and it was a great game. Kaminsky was really tough for Duke to handle (that was the game that Frank the Tank took a hard knee to the groin), but Duke has an edge in the backcourt.

The downside of playing WI is that everyone will be rooting for WI. That usually has an effect on the floor. With KY, Duke would have been - maybe for the first time ever - the team America was pulling for.
    You're probably too young to remember 1991. Duke beat an undefeated UNLV in the Final Four semifinal game. That time, I recall that Duke was seen as the good guys (true student-athletes, clean program) against the bad guys (questionable students in Tark's program, which always had sort of a cloud hanging over it).

--Yeats

Oh man, the emotion and sentiment for Wisconsin is overwhelming. I know people will mock this from a Duke fan, but I can't imagine Duke gets the calls tonight. This has been such a fun Duke team to follow. I imagine Wisconsin fans feel the same about their team.
    I actually agree. Odds are stacked against Duke right now.

Early calls going Wisconsin's way.
    "This isn't a gentlemen's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football, it's a physical game." - Tony Bergstrom

Well...Duke wins it. We gave them the next closet game behind Wisconsin, so the DNF final ballot reads:

1. Duke
    2. Wisconsin
    3. Kentucky
    4. Notre Dame
    5. Utah

So how many times has utah lost to the eventual champ? Must be a record. Socalpat must know.

2015 NCAA Tournament

This is as exciting as seeing the Yankees win the World Series. 😐
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-06-2015 at 11:18 PM.

--Yeats

Oh man, the emotion and sentiment for Wisconsin is overwhelming. I know people will mock this from a Duke fan, but I can't imagine Duke gets the calls tonight. This has been such a fun Duke team to follow. I imagine Wisconsin fans feel the same about their team.
    Well I would say that at least down the stretch the calls went in Duke's favor. The non-charge call on Justice that would have given him his 4th foul right after Okafor picked up his. Obvious charge. Instead, 2 free throws for Duke. The baseline out-of-bounds where Justice passed the ball to Okafor for a basket and a free throw. Finally, the out-of-bounds ball that TV replays showed went off Justice finger tip.

Duke's freshmen guards were tremendous and the difference in the game. However, if those calls had gone in favor of Duke when they played Utah, we would all be bashing the officials and the calls and questioning the integrity of the game.

What sour grapes from Bo Ryan afterward. Blaming the offiicals -- never mind that Kaminsky is the greatest traveler since Hakeem Olajuwon, or that Duke's top two players were riddled with fouls in the second half. Duke's comeback was sparked by a player who averaged 4.4 PPG. Wisconsin led by 9 with 13 minutes to play. Either Wisconsin choked or Duke played great. Ryan was given an out because Duke truly played great. Instead, he went all fanboy afterward and blamed the refs. What a loser. (Second biggest loser: Greg Gumbel, for what he said when it was thrown back to him after the Ryan interview. What a clueless TV talking head. It sounded like he was trying to be sincere; if he wasn't, he's a front-runner for title of World's Greatest Troll.)

Then Ryan goes on about "rent-a-players" and one-and-dones. More fanboy bullshit. Bo Ryan offered Diamond Stone -- local kid who's perceived as an early-entry type of player. He's going to Maryland. Ryan's daughter even threw a jab in Stone's direction after he made his decision. Bo would take one-and-dones -- he just can't win them over.

To hell with Wisconsin. I'm glad Duke won, and I wish Kentucky would have won. Also, remember this: Wisconsin settled on Bo Ryan when they couldn't lure Rick Majerus away from Utah. Never mind that the U. had just given Rick a year's sabbatical and that only a dirtbag would've jumped ship after that kind of support. It was the one job I would've bet the house on Rick not taking, because Rick, while eager to listen, could not have taken the Wisconsin job under the existing conditions in a million years.

Ryan's blasting of one-and-dones seems especially poignant when you contrast it to the mentality amongst coaches who have no hesitation on bailing on kids they recruited. He's also been a dick to at least one kid who tried leaving his program. Wisconsin deserves having Brett Bielema and Gary Anderson jump ship. They probably tired over being around such delusional windbags, which of course is why Bo Ryan fits right in.

He tweeted out that it has happened 11 times.
    2015 Duke, 2000 Michigan State, 1996-98 Kentucky, 1983 NC State, 1966 Texas-Western, 1961 Cincinnati, 1959 Cal, 1955-56 San Francisco, 1945 Oklahoma A&M.

Not a record, either. Duke has lost to the eventual national champion 13 times.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    What sour grapes from Bo Ryan afterward. Blaming the offiicals -- never mind that Kaminsky is the greatest traveler since Hakeem Olajuwon, or that Duke's top two players were riddled with fouls in the second half. Duke's comeback was sparked by a player who averaged 4.4 PPG. Wisconsin led by 9 with 13 minutes to play. Either Wisconsin choked or Duke played great. Ryan was given an out because Duke truly played great. Instead, he went all fanboy afterward and blamed the refs. What a loser. (Second biggest loser: Greg Gumbel, for what he said when it was thrown back to him after the Ryan interview. What a clueless TV talking head. It sounded like he was trying to be sincere; if he wasn't, he's a front-runner for title of World's Greatest Troll.)

Then Ryan goes on about "rent-a-players" and one-and-dones. More fanboy bullshit. Bo Ryan offered Diamond Stone -- local kid who's perceived as an early-entry type of player. He's going to Maryland. Ryan's daughter even threw a jab in Stone's direction after he made his decision. Bo would take one-and-dones -- he just can't win them over.

To hell with Wisconsin. I'm glad Duke won, and I wish Kentucky would have won. Also, remember this: Wisconsin settled on Bo Ryan when they couldn't lure Rick Majerus away from Utah. Never mind that the U. had just given Rick a year's sabbatical and that only a dirtbag would've jumped ship after that kind of support. It was the one job I would've bet the house on Rick not taking, because Rick, while eager to listen, could not have taken the Wisconsin job under the existing conditions in a million years.

Ryan's blasting of one-and-dones seems especially poignant when you contrast it to the mentality amongst coaches who have no hesitation on bailing on kids they recruited. He's also been a dick to at least one kid who tried leaving his program. Wisconsin deserves having Brett Bielema and Gary Anderson jump ship. They probably tired over being around such delusional windbags, which of course is why Bo Ryan fits right in.
    Awesome post. I missed Gumbles (or "Grumbles") comments...........whatd he say?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    2015 Duke, 2000 Michigan State, 1996-98 Kentucky, 1983 NC State, 1966 Texas-Western, 1961 Cincinnati, 1959 Cal, 1955-56 San Francisco, 1945 Oklahoma A&M.

Not a record, either. Duke has lost to the eventual national champion 13 times.
    Meh, It shouldn't count if it is in the Championship game.
    "This isn't a gentlemen's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football, it's a physical game." - Tony Bergstrom

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Awesome post. I missed Gumbles (or "Grumbles") comments...........whatd he say?
    "Bo Ryan, classy and gracious in defeat, as usual ..."

Couple more things from the end. Why on God's green earth is Wisconsin, down 3, fouling 40 feet from the basket with the shot clock at 20 and 35 seconds to go? You play defense, get the ball back and shoot a 3 for the tie. The last thing you do is make it a two-possession game, especially with as methodical as Wisconsin is on offense. And while I like Bill Raferty, we need serious analysts who aren't afraid to second-guess coaches in tough moments. Raferty blew off Clark Kellogg's puzzlement of such strategy, saying Wisconsin was trying to extend the game. Huh? Maybe you do that with Okafor, but he's out of the game at this point. Tyus Jones is a 90 percent FT shooter. Just dumb, dumb, dumb.

apropo of nothing: a friend of mine attended the games in Houston, and sat near the Duke bench. He said that about six or seven minutes into the game, Coach K (Duke) told his players not to take any more outside shots but go to the hoop becasue the depth perception was so bad. I read somewhere that every team that has ever played in that stadium has shot well below its season average, the venue is so bad.

Yes, Tyus Jones gave WI a gift by missing a layup without taking any time off the clock. WI give it right back by fouling him in that situation.

Even the best teams in the country make bad mistakes at the end of close games. I guess that is reassuring.
    Given the absolute power coaches have in the college game, plus the time constraints allowed for practice, I would feel pretty good about saying teams don't work enough on end-game situations (This was NEVER a problem under Majerus -- draw your own conclusions). The players don't know any better and very few have the stones or status to question their coach. Meanwhile, how many coaches look at their own decision making and say, "I could've done that better."? My guess is, not many. We know Bo Ryan doesn't, if last night is any indicator.

It's not much different than what I've said about football, especially Kyle. You might think your primary job is to coach ______ (insert sport here), but your real mission is to win games. Yet we see these questionable moves at the end of close games so often, you wonder if coaches think it's somehow beneath them to put aside their coaching hat and put on a game-theorist or strategic one.

NBA coaches are the best at end-game strategy. NFL coaches are better than their collegiate counterparts, but you still see some really stupid stuff in the pro game.

Wisconsin's national championship game season was a lot like ours, but less extreme in the ways that they resembled one another. Utah beat the two most highly rated teams (by far) back to back. At that point football would have declared it national champion. Then in the national championship game it led double digits in the second half, against a team substantially inferior to the last two teams it had beaten, and just ran out of gas.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo