Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: The Ute Athletic Department - General Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Yes, typically the week before New Years is one of Vegas' busiest weeks so there is no need for the bowl game. On the other hand the week before Christmas is typically one of Vegas' slowest hence the bowl game when it is.
    You also have to take the NFL schedule into consideration as well.

In years in which Week 17 falls Dec.30-Jan. 2, you can be assured the Raiders will be on the road.

In years in which it falls before or after those dates, the Raiders could have the option of being at home.

As the primary tenant, you can bet the Raiders aren't gonna wanna muck things up with two out-of-town teams in their stadium the same week of their last game of the season.

There's nothing out there from keeping the LV Bowl where it is on the calendar (third Saturday in December) and making it a matchup between Pac-12 No. 2/3 and the best non-NY6 team out there.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    You also have to take the NFL schedule into consideration as well.

In years in which Week 17 falls Dec.30-Jan. 2, you can be assured the Raiders will be on the road.

In years in which it falls before or after those dates, the Raiders could have the option of being at home.

As the primary tenant, you can bet the Raiders aren't gonna wanna muck things up with two out-of-town teams in their stadium the same week of their last game of the season.

There's nothing out there from keeping the LV Bowl where it is on the calendar (third Saturday in December) and making it a matchup between Pac-12 No. 2/3 and the best non-NY6 team out there.
    A lot will also depend on their field surface choice.

If they go FieldTurf they can do multiple things with less headaches.

They go grass, it's a much different story (they'd probably have to do a stadium like the Cardinals to do that and I doubt they'll do that)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not do Vegas Bowl where it is. Then add a second bowl in Vegas, the Wednesday or Friday or Saturday before the National Title Game. That will end up being around the 5th of January, so the NYE crowd will be gone anyways. Would be a GREAT game for the PAC-12, football winding down, everybody on the planet would watch (ok, just all the football fans).

Third place PAC-12 team (first to playoff, second to Rose Bowl) vs a 4/5 SEC team.

Who wouldn't want that? Vegas gets two bowls, they fill up a slow week in December and a slow week in January. Granted, if Sam Boyd closes down, then just bag the earlier game and just do the later game. Prime time location, prime time matchup, huge tv money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Brings "The Black Hole" to a whole new level.

(sigh) ..... why?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ersity-of-utah

The University of Utah will become the first big-time sports school to offer scholarships for competitive video gaming, so far the most high-profile entry into collegiate esports.

Backed by the Salt Lake City school’s video game development program, Utah’s first varsity esports team will play Riot Games’ popular League of Legends and compete in Riot’s collegiate league. More teams in other games will be announced this year.

Utah is the first school in the "Power Five" -- the five richest athletic conferences in college sports -- to offer scholarships for video gaming, lending a high-profile endorsement to the the rapidly-growing industry. "We want others schools to join us," said A.J. Dimick, who will run the new esports program. "Let’s move this along together."
    I'm all for the video gaming degree, design and programing, but scholarships for players .... ugh.
    Last edited by Scorcho; 04-05-2017 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    (sigh) ..... why?

I'm all for the video gaming degree, design and programing, but scholarships for players .... ugh.
    Has no connection to athletics. Don't really care what the computer program does.

(sigh) ..... why?

Nerdddddssss!!!!!!

dg-nerds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Why not do Vegas Bowl where it is. Then add a second bowl in Vegas, the Wednesday or Friday or Saturday before the National Title Game. That will end up being around the 5th of January, so the NYE crowd will be gone anyways. Would be a GREAT game for the PAC-12, football winding down, everybody on the planet would watch (ok, just all the football fans).

Third place PAC-12 team (first to playoff, second to Rose Bowl) vs a 4/5 SEC team.

Who wouldn't want that? Vegas gets two bowls, they fill up a slow week in December and a slow week in January. Granted, if Sam Boyd closes down, then just bag the earlier game and just do the later game. Prime time location, prime time matchup, huge tv money.
    As long as it doesn't compete with the Consumer Electronics Show (Vegas is still a convention town, and that one brings in over 150,000 people), that's an idea that could work. CES next year begins January 9.

I don't know where to put this, so I'll put it here. During his media round-table yesterday, Chris Hill said that he passed on a 1.5 million dollar Neutral site game because the timing wasn't right for the football program. Agree/Disagree or need more info? My guess is that it would've dropped us down to 5 home games, and that is why he didn't do it.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I don't know where to put this, so I'll put it here. During his media round-table yesterday, Chris Hill said that he passed on a 1.5 million dollar Neutral site game because the timing wasn't right for the football program. Agree/Disagree or need more info? My guess is that it would've dropped us down to 5 home games, and that is why he didn't do it.
    Yeah we'd have to give up a home game for that.

In 2015 the U averages $1.8 Million in ticket revenue for the 7 home games.

I was told that the Utes were asked to play the game that Cal? played in Australia and declined. I would not give up a home game for a neutral site game. I would give up an away game.

Need more info. But if we're keeping our FCS game in lieu of a neutral-site game in Atlanta or anywhere west of Dallas/KC/Minneapolis, Hill should be fricasseed.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I was told that the Utes were asked to play the game that Cal? played in Australia and declined. I would not give up a home game for a neutral site game. I would give up an away game.
    Was that the one where we were offered to play the rivalry game down under?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Need more info. But if we're keeping our FCS game in lieu of a neutral-site game in Atlanta or anywhere west of Dallas/KC/Minneapolis, Hill should be fricasseed.
    Assuming a 7 home game season.

It's easy for me to agree since I'm not a season ticket holder. I can understand a season ticket holders wanting all 7 games.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Assuming a 7 home game season.

It's easy for me to agree since I'm not a season ticket holder. I can understand a season ticket holders wanting all 7 games.
    It also depends on the contract.

In 2015 Utah made, just from ticket sales, $1.8M per home game.

So a $1.5M payout for a neutral site game could be not worth it, depending on travel etc.

Without knowing the opponent, TV exposure or the venue it's hard to say one way or the other if it was worth it.

anytime I feel the need to criticize Utah's athletic dept. there's always a quick reminder of how good we have it:

Former Baylor volleyball player who says she was gang raped by at least 4 & as many as 8 football players filed a Title IX lawsuit this a.m.

anytime I feel the need to criticize Utah's athletic dept. there's always a quick reminder of how good we have it:

Former Baylor volleyball player who says she was gang raped by at least 4 & as many as 8 football players filed a Title IX lawsuit this a.m.
    And yet, Baylor is still the most respectable OOC game on our football schedule for the foreseeable future. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    And yet, Baylor is still the most respectable OOC game on our football schedule for the foreseeable future. Sad.
    I think I have a hint as to why we were easily able to get them on the schedule.

https://twitter.com/JimVertuno/statu...56266992168961

The Ute Athletic Department - General Stuff

Wow, that is terrible. If true, I hope they drop the hammer on them.
    Last edited by Sullyute; 05-17-2017 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Wow, that is terrible. I hope they drop the hammer on them.
    It's possible that she isn't telling the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Latest @Baylor federal Title IX lawsuit alleges 21-second gang rape video by football players, and football team staging dog fights.

Latest @Baylor federal Title IX lawsuit alleges 21-second gang rape video by football players, and football team staging dog fights.

Again, it's possible she's not telling the truth. The rape allegation against the Minnesota football players was completely contradicted by the video tape.

It's not ok to just assume they are guilty and that the "hammer" should be dropped on them. This is still the United States of America--although barely

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I corrected my statement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I corrected my statement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Now I agree with your statement

The move to Pepsi at the U brings about unprecedented change from Pepsi, removing most of the blue from their branding on campus.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44805756&nid=635
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    The move to Pepsi at the U brings about unprecedented change from Pepsi, removing most of the blue from their branding on campus.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44805756&nid=635
    I went to High School with Kirk. In fact both he and his wife were in my ward growing up. I knew he was a big-wig at Pepsi, but I didn't realize he was a huge-wig.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I went to High School with Kirk. In fact both he and his wife were in my ward growing up. I knew he was a big-wig at Pepsi, but I didn't realize he was a huge-wig.
    https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...byu-pepsi-coke

Many Utah people do not care about BYU, they might tell you, and there would be no better way to prove how disaffected they are than to strip BYU’s color off their soda cans in a move that’s absolutely not related to BYU.

What does this have to do with my comment that I grew up with Kirk and his wife?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    What does this have to do with my comment that I grew up with Kirk and his wife?
    I thought that name sounded familiar.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."