Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ute Athletic Department - General Stuff

The Ute Athletic Department - General Stuff

There have been a couple of newspaper articles addressing some topics that don't fit in the categories threads that currently exist and I thought maybe a new thread would give them some traction. Besides, I cannot stand it that the quitting the BYU thread seems to be the most active right now. I wish that thread would just go away.

The increase in season ticket prices.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ket-costs.html

Hill makes some interesting comments:

1 - the cost of stadium improvements should be shared by all ticket purchasers, not just the Crimson Club members. Hence the $2 per ticket surcharge for facilities.

2 - the cost of providing the increase in scholarship costs is what required the increase in Crimson Club fees and the addition of those fees to the premium bleachers. I am guessing that they did not do this, but they should have provided a window of time for those in the premium bleachers to indicate that they would move to a non-donation area and also given people with tickets in the non-donation area the opportunity to opt into the premium bleachers. There may have not been a 1 for 1 situation, but it would have been an option. I have 2 seats in the non-donation area and I would have exchanged those seats the premium bleachers.

Football Staff Salaries increase: http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofuspor...alary-pool-for

ARod and Harding almost doubled their salaries.

It sounds like there are now 3 two year assistant coaching positions (as opposed to 2) and the other 6 are all on one-year deals. It doesn't indicate how those are being divided and I guess that is up to Whit. My guess is that ARod and Harding and probably Pease, but it could be Scalley or Ericksen. I watched this a little as staff information was released nationally. I think we are a little behind the 8 ball nationally as it seems many places offer 3 year deals. It is unclear what the practice is in the PAC 12.

Utah's overall assistant pool has increased a little over $1 mil per year. Last year we were 38th nationally and 7 of 10 amongst public schools in the PAC.

Banned
    I wish that other thread would die too.

With all the improvements going on, and the overall upward trend in Utah athletics... a few more dollars doesn't bother me. I'm impressed with the overall direction and trajectory of the U since joining the PAC 12. More coaches, better pay for them, better facilities.

I love competing in this conference. I dig that our stadium rocks the sellout week after week, and turns red, and gets so damn loud. Let's continue to build this program so that it becomes necessary to add 10,000 seats to Rice-Eccles.

cost of attendance numbers for PAC-12, does anybody understand this?

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/...tendance-5000/

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    cost of attendance numbers for PAC-12, does anybody understand this?

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/...tendance-5000/
    It's the amount schools have to come up with per athlete to reach actual cost of attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    It's the amount schools have to come up with per athlete to reach actual cost of attendance.
    it just doesn't seem very equitable when you have Utah at $5k and USC at $1.5K

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    it just doesn't seem very equitable when you have Utah at $5k and USC at $1.5K
    Utah has had more to catch up with, we were behind by a lot more coming from a non power conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Utah has had more to catch up with, we were behind by a lot more coming from a non power conference.
    I don't think it has anything to do with this. Each school has been required for years to establish a cost of attendance figure. I am not sure where the figure of $5,000, comes from, because the only costs not already included in a scholarship are the transportation and misc. figures. I guess they can get to $5k because the athletes typically go to school in the summer as well as Fall and Winter semesters and the COA only accounts for the Fall and Winter semesters.

This is from the U's figures: The Cost of Attendance (COA) is an estimate of school-related expenses the student can expect to have for the academic year, or semester of enrollment. The COA is composed of the following categories: tuition and fees, books and supplies, room and board, transportation, and some personal expenses. These components are determined by law, Higher Education Act of 1965, section 472, and are designed to cover the educational-related expenses of the student. In addition, the cost of attendance will consider the residency status, living arrangements (i.e. living with parents, on campus, off campus), and, in some cases, the student’s major. http://financialaid.utah.edu/paying-for-college/cost.php

A variety of topics in a blog-post / article in yesterday's Trib quoting Chris Hill

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofuspor...-talks-stadium

A few highlights:

No plans for stadium expansion:
    Hill remains steadfast in his position that Utah won't pursue any significant Rice-Eccles Stadium expansion any time soon
    Pac-12 Network:
    While the Utes receive $18 million per year thanks to national TV deals with Fox and ESPN, the Pac-12 Network only generates about $1 million per Pac-12 institution. By contrast, Hill said he's seen figures that the Big 10 Network will generate as much as $10 million per school.
    Playing BYU:
    The Utes are currently on the docket to play BYU in 2016, 2017 and 2018, including a Nov. 24 game in the final scheduled contest of the series. While Hill said he wants to play out the annual rivalry, his interest is waning to make it the final game of the regular season. . . . "For what reasons does the AD at the University of Utah schedule that game at the end of the year?" Hill asked, challenging the media. "Why would that help the University of Utah? … I get we should play them every year. I feel like that we're an important game for BYU, and that's why we play the game."
    [:snicker:]
    Last edited by Solon; 04-30-2015 at 12:45 PM. Reason: yesterday's, not today's
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    A variety of topics in a blog-post / article in yesterday's Trib quoting Chris Hill

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofuspor...-talks-stadium

A few highlights:

No plans for stadium expansion:

Pac-12 Network:

Playing BYU:

[:snicker:]
    I have no issues with playing BYU in the final game of the year as long as the game is in SLC. But we should never set foot in Provo past Sept. 30 again.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I have no issues with playing BYU in the final game of the year as long as the game is in SLC. But we should never set foot in Provo past Sept. 30 again.

It looks like the Pac 12 has required BYU to play the Notre Dame week final game in a Pac 12 stadium. Every one of them is scheduled that way.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    It looks like the Pac 12 has required BYU to play the Notre Dame week final game in a Pac 12 stadium. Every one of them is scheduled that way.
    I hate the ND treatment from our conference. I understand that ND and USC think they have a good rivalry, but who cares about Stanford/ND? It's not worth bending rules over. Ruined the Pac-12/Big10 scheduling that was going to be epic. I wish we could get the Irish into a conference already.

ND are half way into the ACC, so that is something.

Nothing earth-shattering here but interesting.

Chris Hill not slowing down after 28 years as Utah’s A.D.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2593607...ing-down-after

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Nothing earth-shattering here but interesting.

Chris Hill not slowing down after 28 years as Utah’s A.D.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2593607...ing-down-after
    It was interesting to read from his wife that Hill was hurt by the boos at the basketball game. I am sure he was. I believe the Ute fans who booed Hill at the basketball game embarrassed themselves. Hill and KW were engaged in negotiations and it is unfortunate that some of what was going on played out in the media. I believe that the leaks to the media came from those in the KW camp and while they may have had his best interests in mind in doing what they did, they did not have the U's best interests in mind. KW and Hill have never had a buddy/buddy relationship. It has always been a little adversarial, KW thinking football should get more and Hill trying to balance the budget and needs of the entire athletic department. Hill was doing his job and, in my opinion, was doing a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    It was interesting to read from his wife that Hill was hurt by the boos at the basketball game. I am sure he was. I believe the Ute fans who booed Hill at the basketball game embarrassed themselves. Hill and KW were engaged in negotiations and it is unfortunate that some of what was going on played out in the media. I believe that the leaks to the media came from those in the KW camp and while they may have had his best interests in mind in doing what they did, they did not have the U's best interests in mind. KW and Hill have never had a buddy/buddy relationship. It has always been a little adversarial, KW thinking football should get more and Hill trying to balance the budget and needs of the entire athletic department. Hill was doing his job and, in my opinion, was doing a good job.
    This is still getting run in the local media? Sheesh ... will one side (local media or the Hills) just let this one go? It's brain-dead sensationalism on behalf of the media, it's thin-skinned nancy-boy whining by highly paid public figures in the case of the Hills. Good grief already ...

This is still getting run in the local media? Sheesh ... will one side (local media or the Hills) just let this one go? It's brain-dead sensationalism on behalf of the media, it's thin-skinned nancy-boy whining by highly paid public figures in the case of the Hills. Good grief already ...
    It was a retrospective type of article and I guess the reporter couldn't resist asking Hill's wife (his wife!) what she thought of the "incident."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Whit has seen coaches come and go for the past 20 years. He's watched how Hill has handled them. Hill can be a real Mother f'er when he's ready to pull the trigger. Whitt knows exactly how his end will ultimately play out at Utah. He knew he was going to get the hatchett last year if he didn't perform. When he did, he pressed Hill and took it back at him. I actually admire Whit for giving Hill the bird. But, make no mistake, these guys know each other well, and in spite of what they may say in public, they don't like each other.

The only way you deal with a bully is stand up to him--that is, if you have the ability to back it up. And given Whit's year last year, he had the ability to back it up. Hill deserved a little pay back.

Floating misinformation through family members' (brother's Twitter and daughter's Instagram) social media accounts doesn't seem like a very manly way to stand up to a bully. In fact that seems like a passive aggressive and underhanded way to go about it, and is certainly out of character for Kyle. And it led directly to a number of fans booing Chris Hill as he presented an award to a professor and 30+ yr diehard fan. Talk about unnecessary collateral damage.

I appreciate Chris Hill and I have a lot of love for Kyle Whittingham. But neither is bigger than the program, and Kyle needs to accept the fact that he may have been 2-3 close losses away from being fired last year for the good of the program. Luckily for Kyle those games were all wins.

And no, I do not want to hire a new HC just because we can. There is no guarantee that anybody else will improve the program. (Few outside of Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, etc. would be virtually guaranteed to succeed. Maybe Mark Dantonio or Mark Richt. But none of those guys are coming to slc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Whit has seen coaches come and go for the past 20 years. He's watched how Hill has handled them. Hill can be a real Mother f'er when he's ready to pull the trigger. Whitt knows exactly how his end will ultimately play out at Utah. He knew he was going to get the hatchett last year if he didn't perform. When he did, he pressed Hill and took it back at him. I actually admire Whit for giving Hill the bird. But, make no mistake, these guys know each other well, and in spite of what they may say in public, they don't like each other.

The only way you deal with a bully is stand up to him--that is, if you have the ability to back it up. And given Whit's year last year, he had the ability to back it up. Hill deserved a little pay back.

Why do you say Hill is a bully rather than just doing his job?

I have made my criticisms of Hill known. And I agree with a good portion of what you're saying. However, I don't think Kyle had the ammo to get into this kind of battle with any AD and win. Indispensable coaches don't blow 3 TD leads and lose to Wazzu at home, or get rolled at home with championship hopes well within their grasp, or hire 7 offensive coordinators in 8 years.

That said, Hill has received enough adulation and platitudes (and $$$) that he's not above being subject to public criticism, even misguided criticism such as it were during the negotiations with Kyle. There are some ADs out there not as fortunate as Hill that would've lost their jobs over Swimgate or having to fire two basketball coaches in five years. Hill's family has been around this game long enough to know that, and their attempts for sympathy on behalf of someone who makes nearly half of a million dollars per year is pathetic. They never should have made it an issue, and the media needs to find a better angle.
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 06-09-2015 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Floating misinformation through family members' (brother's Twitter and daughter's Instagram) social media accounts doesn't seem like a very manly way to stand up to a bully. In fact that seems like a passive aggressive and underhanded way to go about it, and is certainly out of character for Kyle. And it led directly to a number of fans booing Chris Hill as he presented an award to a professor and 30+ yr diehard fan. Talk about unnecessary collateral damage.

I appreciate Chris Hill and I have a lot of love for Kyle Whittingham. But neither is bigger than the program, and Kyle needs to accept the fact that he may have been 2-3 close losses away from being fired last year for the good of the program. Luckily for Kyle those games were all wins.

And no, I do not want to hire a new HC just because we can. There is no guarantee that anybody else will improve the program. (Few outside of Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, etc. would be virtually guaranteed to succeed. Maybe Mark Dantonio or Mark Richt. But none of those guys are coming to slc.).
    Doesn't it feel that until Kyle wins the South, he's always going to be a three-game losing streak away from losing his job?

Not going to the press would have suited Chris Hill fine. Whit used the leverage he had, the fans like him, the press likes him. He unloaded on his boss with the fans and the press because that's what he had. And it worked.

I have made my criticisms of Hill known. And I agree with a good portion of what you're saying. However, I don't think Kyle had the ammo to get into this kind of battle with any AD and win. Indispensable coaches don't blow 3 TD leads and lose to Wazzu at home, or get rolled at home with championship hopes well within their grasp, or hire 7 offensive coordinators in 8 years.

That said, Hill has received enough adulation and platitudes (and $$$) that he's not above being subject to public criticism, even misguided criticism such as it were during the negotiations with Kyle. There are some ADs out there not as fortunate as Hill that would've lost their jobs over Swimgate or having to fire two basketball coaches in five years. Hill's family has been around this game long enough to know that, and their attempts for sympathy on behalf of someone who makes nearly half of a million dollars per year is pathetic. They never should have made it an issue, and the media needs to find a better angle.

i think he now makes more than that.

i think he now makes more than that.
    Yes. He's at about $775,000

Course the other side who you're backing makes 3 times that, so if money is how we determine who shouldn't feel hurt.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not going to the press would have suited Chris Hill fine. Whit used the leverage he had, the fans like him, the press likes him. He unloaded on his boss with the fans and the press because that's what he had. And it worked.
    Bull. Kyle's brother Jimmered all over himself channelling both kccougar and kc_cougar as he posted tweets about Kyle interviewing in Provo for the HC position, and his daughter posted (and then deleted) Instagram posts complaining about C.Hill's disdain for coaches as the reason for the high turnover rates of assistant coaches and coordinators.

That just doesn't seem to be a manly, hairy-chested, Kyle Whittingham-esque, Mad Dog-type of solution to the negotiation.

If his agent hatched that idea, Kyle should punch him right in his frilly, embossed coinpurse.

Doesn't it feel that until Kyle wins the South, he's always going to be a three-game losing streak away from losing his job?
    Not necessarily.

But a streak of three out of four losing seasons might be enough to do it.

That said, I also believe that 7+ wins this season would erase the painful 5-7 years and will reset the clock. Now Kyle needs to find an Oh-fensive identity and build a staff and team around it.

Now Kyle needs to find an Oh-fensive identity and build a staff and team around it.
    I have given up on that hope. Kyle is who he is, and the culture of Utah football under him is what it is. I don't expect that to change. I do expect Kyle to stop changing offensive coordinators annually.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I have given up on that hope. Kyle is who he is, and the culture of Utah football under him is what it is. I don't expect that to change. I do expect Kyle to stop changing offensive coordinators annually.

Hence, my recently expressed belief. A three-game losing streak where two are at home and all are by 3 points or less and the defense holds the opposition to 24 points or under will get the fanbase to lose its collective shizz.

Hence, my recently expressed belief. A three-game losing streak where two are at home and all are by 3 points or less and the defense holds the opposition to 24 points or under will get the fanbase to lose its collective shizz.

especially if one of those is a blown lead where the offense stalls ala WSU.

And the fanbase will be 100% justified in their outrage. And Kyle will be firmly ensconced in the Top Ten on coacheshotseat.com.