Thread: Do you believe in miracle.........YES!

Do you believe in miracle.........YES!

miracle.jpg

35 years ago today since the, IMO, greatest sports moment in American history. Was anyone watching it "live"? I always love to hear memories of what it was like.

It didn't play live. It was shown on tape delay to the rest of the country
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    It didn't play live. It was shown on tape delay to the rest of the country
    Hence the quote marks around live.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    miracle.jpg

35 years ago today since the, IMO, greatest sports moment in American history. Was anyone watching it "live"? I always love to hear memories of what it was like.
    Watched it "live" from our apartment in Provo, Utah. I had just moved there 6 months earlier from upstate New York. None of the kids in my fourth grade class knew a thing about hockey, so I was the go-to guy on explaining icing and offsides, as well as what Lake Placid was like (I had never been there, but had been to the Adirondacks many times).

After the game, Jim McKay said it was like a high school football team beating the Pittsburgh Steelers (who had won the previous two Super Bowls). The comment was appropriate then and it fits today. It was perspective myself and most Americans could relate to. I remember being nervous and I knew the Russians were great -- they had destroyed a Canadian all-star team in the Canada Cup just a year prior and I watched those games from start to finish. But until McKay said what he said, it was lost on me how monumental of an upset this was. I knew it was big, but it was easy for it to get lost in the political landscape that nearly dwarfed the game itself. It's great this team is still recognized for what it did.

Also, "Of Miracles and Men" -- the latest ESPN 30 for 30 -- is a must-watch for the Soviet perspective.