Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Revenge: Utah vs. Arizona (and ASU) II

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    How can you even be down on krystowiak for that game? The reffing was so in consistent
    Every contract on every drive in the half is a foul until Wright's shot at the end.

But it's the rebound to York that beat us. York. The worst wildcat of them all.

Ynot blocking put the shooter hurt us
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

These kind of games make Arizona who they are. They don't get rattled, and they do all the little things really well.

The only two other guys having decent shooting nights were in foul trouble the whole game. When Arizona starts the half 0 for whatever, you have to turn that into a double digit lead.

Here's hoping we get one more crack at them.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

The coaching staff put together a great game plan to give us a chance to win. Arizona is a top 10 team with more talent than our top 20 team. Coach didn't miss multiple lay-ups. We rebounded well, but coach didn't forget to box out the shooter on a foul shot to gift them 2 points.

Officiating was inconsistent, but the foul disparity was only about 4 over the course of the game. We shouldn't have to rely on referees to win.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    We rebounded well, but coach didn't forget to box out the shooter on a foul shot to gift them 2 points.
    We rebounded well in the first half, but they owned the glass again in the second.

The officiating really hurt us badly. Loveridge was playing his best game in a while, and he had to come out. Chapman obviously was big for us in the first half. Poeltl was once again not even given a chance to get into the game. It was a poorly called game, and that hurt us much more than it hurt them.

Revenge: Utah vs. Arizona (and ASU) II

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Coach didn't miss multiple lay-ups. We rebounded well, but coach didn't forget to box out the shooter on a foul shot to gift them 2 points.
    It could not be better said. The iron law of close basketball games between excellent teams is that the team with the fewest mistakes wins. That happened tonight.

Our guys don't have the experience that UA has. That showed. We also don't quite have the talent they have, which also showed.

But:

We still have two more games to make some hay in.

We have the tournament to do the same.

I like our chances for a very successful season yet.

And let's remember that on Senior Night we were saying goodbye to only two seniors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    And let's remember that on Senior Night we were saying goodbye to only two seniors.
    Well, one of them is an all American candidate and one of the all time Utes.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Well, one of them is an all American candidate and one of the all time Utes.
    Sure, but if we're going to be a top PAC-12 program we have to be able to remain successful and keep improving even if a great player leaves. And...Gabe Bealer.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Apart from the devastating loss, Old Standing Ute and wife were on the Kiss Cam at one point but missed it. The camera had to move on to someone else. A great let-down for the entire crowd. Who knows might have happened if they had just delivered when they were needed?

--Yeats

Maybe we can retire the Wazzu look now? That uniform would look great in white.

sigh, if only Brandon Taylor hadn't lost the genetics lottery. 3 or 4 more inches on that kid and he's not getting those shots swatted.

Apart from the devastating loss, Old Standing Ute and wife were on the Kiss Cam at one point but missed it. The camera had to move on to someone else. A great let-down for the entire crowd. Who knows might have happened if they had just delivered when they were needed?

I heard about it---repeatedly. Ouch.

Block Out the shooter! And York got there really fast unless he left early?

Utes got beat up--AZ plays like you can't call everything.

The ref with the blond flat-top is really bad. 2nd time we have seen him & both losses. Delon was fouled on several drives & Stanley Johnson is good, but also puts his head down & charges.

And Tarwhatver their 5 is the big man who is ready to go pro--he schooled poor Jakob.

On a positive note--I. Wright played well (although he may have missed that crucial FT blockout).

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    sigh, if only Brandon Taylor hadn't lost the genetics lottery. 3 or 4 more inches on that kid and he's not getting those shots swatted.
    Yeah, but we all know his height. The last 30 seconds were a flashback to last year. Someone else probably needs to be involved in that play.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post

Utes got beat up--AZ plays like you can't call everything.
    perfectly said.

The one thing that AZ does better than any team we've faced this year, is guard the three. They just refuse to give Utah an open look.

I've adjusted my expectations after this game. AZ is a team that can me a deep run in the tourney, Utah cannot. I still believe Utah could be a sweet sixteen team, with the right draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Brandon got greedy at a key moment. He had just hit a huge three, the weasel York matched it, and Taylor forced a bad shot that was blocked, leading to a zona dunk to cut the lead to 1.

anybody know why Reyes never played after Chapman fouled out and I wright played when we couldn't get any rebounds? Or Tucker for that matter?

Sure, but if we're going to be a top PAC-12 program we have to be able to remain successful and keep improving even if a great player leaves. And...Gabe Bealer.

What about Gabe bealer?
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yeah, but we all know his height. The last 30 seconds were a flashback to last year. Someone else probably needs to be involved in that play.
    Yeah.

--Yeats

Yeah.
    The Utes had a shot, but I hate to admit that AZ looked like the better team last night. Delon delivered, and Loveridge had 10 points (did he score in the 2nd half?), but we needed a big game from a 3rd guy - a Poeltl, Chapman, or Tucker - and didn't get it. AZ's defense was great. Gotta hand it to them.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Okay, can someone with a refereeing background explain why the refs swallowed their whistle when York stepped over the free throw line and entered the lane well before his missed 2nd FT hit the rim? I am not excusing Wright not blocking out but that seemed like a pretty easy call, particularly given how quickly he was at the rim after a miss.

Just no consistency from the crew last night at all. Whistle happy on too many calls and then swallow their whistles on some of the more obvious and aggregious stuff that went on. A perfect example of the lack of consistency was that late whistle against Utah they reviewed for 5 minutes. You call something like that but let York's lane violation go? The guy blew it by making the call in the first place. The long review was because it was inconclusive so he went with his original call. Swallow your whistle there if you blew it on the other end and gave York two key points with a bad no call.

Utah still could have pulled it out if they had made their layups throughout the game but is it really debatable that the officiating was all over the place last night and pathetic?
    Last edited by #1 Utefan; 03-01-2015 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    The Utes had a shot, but I hate to admit that AZ looked like the better team last night. Delon delivered, and Loveridge had 10 points (did he score in the 2nd half?), but we needed a big game from a 3rd guy - a Poeltl, Chapman, or Tucker - and didn't get it. AZ's defense was great. Gotta hand it to them.
    Jordan did have a nice basket in the post in the 2nd half. He also attacked after the really bad no call on Bach, and he got a make up call. He hit both FTs. Picking up his 4th foul really hurt us - we lost a rhythm with him that we never got back.

Did AZ really look that much better than us last night? Maybe I'm tainted by my memory of how bad we were in Tuscon. I felt like it was a miracle when either team scored last night. AZ struggled offensively and played good defense, and we did the same. Their size and strength advantage really showed in the last 10 minutes of the game. Our guard play was clearly superior to theirs last night. McConnell was a non factor, and York was too until the FT. If that was the only Pac-12 game someone watched, it would be clear that Delon was a POY candidate. Nobody would watch that and think of TJ as a candidate for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    Okay, can someone with a refereeing background explain why the refs swallowed their whistle when York stepped over the free throw line and entered the lane well before his missed 2nd FT hit the rim? I am not excusing Wright not blocking out but that seemed like a pretty easy call, particularly given how quickly he was at the rim after a miss.

Just no consistency from the crew last night at all. Whistle happy on too many calls and then swallow their whistles on some of the more obvious and aggregious stuff that went on. A perfect example of the lack of consistency was that late whistle against Utah they reviewed for 5 minutes. You call something like that but let York's lane violation go? The guy blew it by making the call in the first place. The long review was because it was inconclusive so he went with his original call. Swallow your whistle there if you blew it on the other end and gave York two key points with a bad no call.

Utah still could have pulled it out if they had made their layups throughout the game but is it really debatable that the officiating was all over the place last night and pathetic?
    I don't have a refereeing background, but I have dealt with plenty of idiots in my day. Lane violations are called less than 1% of the time. You just aren't ever going to get that call.

After Taylor hit his HUGE 3, there were only two things I was hoping for from AZ: (1) A McConnell jumper, or (2) a York drive. We got the York drive - can't ask for more than that. But he was bailed out by a call, and we blew the rebound in the most horrible way possible.

I agree with you though. The officiating was not good, and it really hurt us. Hurt us as much as our own mistakes hurt us.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    Just no consistency from the crew last night at all.
    My consistency beefs:

1) Jeremy Olsen gets called for a bump on the PG outside the 3 point line. Clearly a foul. Why do Arizona bigs get to bump Wright/Taylor on traps outside the 3 point line repeatedly with no call? Refs in general are pretty consistent in calling that a foul in college basketball.

2) Arizona goes to the line on every drive. Why doesn't Delon get an "and one" when he is bumped hard by Tarzewski on that made layup late in the game? Why doesn't Bach get to the line when he forces hard contact from Tarzewski? If he were held to the Chapman/Loveridge/Poeltl standard, Tarzewski would have fouled out twice last night.

Not a consistency issue, but we lost two possessions on easy calls gone wrong. Chapman had a shot blocked out of bounds in the 1st half, and they gave the ball to AZ. With just over 2 minutes to play, AZ got a ball when it clearly went out off them. In a one possession game, that hurts almost as much as JO's missed FTs.

We had plenty of chances to win this game despite our foul trouble. We blew too many of our good chances. That's on us. But it would have been a different game had Chapman/Loveridge/Poeltl not left on questionable calls. It happens a lot in basketball, but it's less common at home.

FWIW, I know a man who is a high school basketball referee and who teaches other refs how to do their job. I watched him teach a group of guys that on FTs one referee's sole assignment is to watch the paint in the key, and nothing else, for lane violations. Still, if someone just steps in front of York on that FT we are not even talking about this. Since that is such basic basketball (we all learn it in youth league hoops) I wonder if there simply was a miscommunication about who had the shooter.

We had every chance to win so I do not blame the loss on the refs. Still, for me, watching the game inside the Huntsman, it was hard to tell what was going on with the officiating. I think that may have been the most oddly-called game I've ever seen, right down the the call that gave the ball to Arizona after Delon's miss. For those who watched on TV, what did the replays show? What were the TV commentators saying about the calls generally?

I hope we don't see David Hall, Bob Staffen, or Larry Spaulding in striped shirts again this season. Never would be soon enough for me.

The stats tell the tale of a collision between two great defensive teams. AZ shot 34.8% in the first half, 32.1% in the second. Utah was 29.6% and 32.1%. From three-point range they were 12.5% and 25%; we were 45% and 18.2%. Clearly they decided at halftime that we were not going to get decent looks from beyond the arc, and mostly we did not. We went 2-11. We actually had them by 2 rebounds in the first half, which had me feeling very encouraged, but by the end of the game they beat us 44-35. We scrapped hard for rebounds but their size and strength gave them that part of the game. Stats here.

We had an AZ fan sitting two rows behind us, all by himself. He spent the entire game antagonizing everyone around him. What an idiot. After a while we made it a game, and every time he screamed "Uof A!" a group of us sitting around him yelled "sucks!" That actually shut him up a little. When the game ended I reached back and offered him my hand. He seemed shocked and took it, I said, "Congratulations, your team played a great game. Now please give us a break." He gave me a deer-in-the-headlights look and finally shut up. I just don't understand fans that go to an opposing school's arena and act that way. Had he been sitting by less patient people he would've been in a fight. He was not a big guy.

What I take home from this game is that were are a program on the rise, and I'm really happy about that. We are not there yet. We are a short on seasoning, talent and toughness. Even Majerus took a few seasons to build a program that was formidable nationally. In his early years he had Josh Grant and Jim Soto, two tough guys who were our go-to guys in tough situations. We don't quite have even one such player yet. We still have a chance to do some damage this year and make the Sweet 16. That would be w terrific season, I think.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-01-2015 at 08:54 AM.

--Yeats

The view from our seats last night. The Huntsman was full and loud.

--Yeats

The histories of Miller and Krystoviak shown through last night. That had the feel of a Big East game from the 80's with a bit of Sloan nastiness mixed in. I think I have bruises from watching that game. Somewhere Whittingham probably thought "at least we get to wear pads".

Looking back, I think we matched Arizona's physical play and intensity, but we made critical mental mistakes down the stretch and they didn't. The Utes took a huge step forward and having all these guys return next year will help continue that growth. They now have a solid notion of what it will take to beat Arizona and be a consistent top 10 team. I just hope the talent we have coming in can help fill what we lose.

i still keep wondering why I wright played so much last night from about the 8 minute mark and neither Reyes or Tucker did. Wright has that really bad turnover when we were up 47-41 that went for a layup, and missed the block out on the shooter. He did have the three free throws. Not haveing Reyes in gave up a lot on the boards, but maybe we needed somebody who could make a lay up or a free throw. Was it match ups? Both Wright and Taylor were guarding much bigger guys.

Also, Poeltl may have gotten some questionable calls, but he had at least two bad, bad fouls where he was out of position and left his feet. He should have learned not to do that a long time ago.
    Last edited by concerned; 03-01-2015 at 09:26 AM.

We are not as talented & just ran out of emotional energy at the end. Plus we lost too many players to fouls.
    We are relying on players like Tucker & Taylor who were not highly recruited, but through desire & great coaching are good but not great players.
    The 1st years Chapman, Poeltl, Reyes are a step up. If they progress as much we will take another step. AZ other than Stanley Johnson who is a 1 & done, played 2 freshmen several minutes & they did not do much. The foreign kid they took over Poeltl was unimpressive. So other than we don't get 1 & dones we are now starting to match them in talent.
    I think our coaching is as good as any.
    We need to sweep the road trip---never done yet by this staff.
    That will be another step.
    Then we need to make some noise in both tourneys.
    if so it will be a really good year & headed in the right direction.

And yes that ref crew was bad---I don't mind Hall, he is OK. Older guy calls weird stuff. Bad hair guy is Really Bad,worst ref in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    We are not as talented & just ran out of emotional energy at the end. Plus we lost too many players to fouls.
    We are relying on players like Tucker & Taylor who were not highly recruited, but through desire & great coaching are good but not great players.
    The 1st years Chapman, Poeltl, Reyes are a step up. If they progress as much we will take another step. AZ other than Stanley Johnson who is a 1 & done, played 2 freshmen several minutes & they did not do much. The foreign kid they took over Poeltl was unimpressive. So other than we don't get 1 & dones we are now starting to match them in talent.
    I think our coaching is as good as any.
    We need to sweep the road trip---never done yet by this staff.
    That will be another step.
    Then we need to make some noise in both tourneys.
    if so it will be a really good year & headed in the right direction.

And yes that ref crew was bad---I don't mind Hall, he is OK. Older guy calls weird stuff. Bad hair guy is Really Bad,worst ref in the league.
    That's great if you think finishing second or third on a consistent basis is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    i still keep wondering why I wright played so much last night from about the 8 minute mark and neither Reyes or Tucker did. Wright has that really bad turnover when we were up 47-41 that went for a layup, and missed the block out on the shooter. He did have the three free throws. Not haveing Reyes in gave up a lot on the boards, but maybe we needed somebody who could make a lay up or a free throw. Was it match ups? Both Wright and Taylor were guarding much bigger guys.

Also, Poeltl may have gotten some questionable calls, but he had at least two bad, bad fouls where he was out of position and left his feet. He should have learned not to do that a long time ago.
    Not sure why Reyes was not in, other than he has a hard time scoring.
    I. Wright is a good defender & more physical than Tucker. Tucker was scoreless which really hurt.
    I would have liked to see Ogbe as he is bigger.

Jakob got worked over. He did commit some stupid fouls. He looked in over his head at points, but we play better with him in the game.