Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Revenge: Utah vs. Arizona (and ASU) II

Unbelievable. So much stood out from this game. We forced ASU to burn all but one of their timeouts in the first half. With about four minutes to go in the first half, we forced ASU into a timeout to avoid a five-second call underneath our basket, and that came AFTER a media timeout. ASU used its use-it-or-lose-it TO just 2:09 into the game. We were totally dialed in from the opening tip. About as perfect of a game as I can ever recall Utah playing. We had two massive runs in this game (26-2 and 13-0) that just about matched what ASU did for the entire game.

My only worry from this outcome is that you know Sean Miller forced his guys to watch every second of that game, and probably was saying the entire time, "You guys can't beat Utah at home. They're too good for you." They've responded pretty well to every platitude he's given the opposition this year by going out and crushing teams.

One of the more fun games I have ever been to at the JMHC. I love this team. I love how much fun they are having. I know Im a broken record here, but its amazing to me how far weve come.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Unbelievable. So much stood out from this game. We forced ASU to burn all but one of their timeouts in the first half. With about four minutes to go in the first half, we forced ASU into a timeout to avoid a five-second call underneath our basket, and that came AFTER a media timeout. ASU used its use-it-or-lose-it TO just 2:09 into the game. We were totally dialed in from the opening tip. About as perfect of a game as I can ever recall Utah playing. We had two massive runs in this game (26-2 and 13-0) that just about matched what ASU did for the entire game.

My only worry from this outcome is that you know Sean Miller forced his guys to watch every second of that game, and probably was saying the entire time, "You guys can't beat Utah at home. They're too good for you." They've responded pretty well to every platitude he's given the opposition this year by going out and crushing teams.
    My observation of Arizona (despite their two road losses this year in Conf.) was that they just came out and absolutely blitzed Colorado last night, and they've done that to other teams on the road as well. I hope our guys take a measured approach to the game on Saturday and don't get too hyped up. Let the crowd get hyped up and make things tough for the Cats, you just go out and play your game.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Frank Jackson is sitting in front of us with his dad and Makol Mawein . Hope he is impressed.
    This is awesome.

Miller comes off as a swarmy and a arrogant guy. Not saying he isn't a good coach, just find his on court demeanor and attitude annoying.

I want he and Arizona coming out of here with a loss tomorrow. This will not be a blow out like all the other conference games but I think Utah pulls it out at home.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    My observation of Arizona (despite their two road losses this year in Conf.) was that they just came out and absolutely blitzed Colorado last night, and they've done that to other teams on the road as well. I hope our guys take a measured approach to the game on Saturday and don't get too hyped up. Let the crowd get hyped up and make things tough for the Cats, you just go out and play your game.
    I think that's an excellent line of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Did we beat the spread?
    I think we beat the spread by the spread.

Agreed.

I'll be there for this one, by the way. Very excited to see it. I have not been in the Huntsman for a big game like this since the New Mexico game in 1979. Both teams were ranked, IIRC, and the Utes won it. So maybe I'll bring some Pimm-era karma with me.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Arizona

Stanley Johnson, F, 14.2 ppg, shoots 47% from the field, 74% from the Free throw line and 35% from behind the arc
    Brandon Ashley, F, 11.3. ppg, shoots 48% from the field, 65% from the Free throw line and 35% from behind the arc
    Rondae Hollis Jefferson, F, 11.1 ppg, shoots 53% from the field, 69% from the Free throw line and 23% from behind the arc
    T.J. McConnell, G, 9.8 ppg, shoots 50% from the field, 73% from the Free throw line, and 34% from behind the arc, also averages nearly 7 assists per
    Kaleb Tarczewski, C, 9.0 ppg, shoots 59% from the field, 80% from the Free throw line, and averages 5 boards per game.

Utah

Delon Wright, G, 14.2 ppg, shoots 52% from the field, 82% from the Free throw line and 32% from behind the arc
    Brandon Taylor, G, 10.5 ppg, shoots 46% from the field, 87% from the Free throw line and 44% from behind the arc
    Jordan Loveridge, F, 9.9 ppg, shoots 42% from the field, 86 % from the Free throw line and 44 % from behind the arc
    Chris Reyes, F, 4.8 ppg, shoots 50% from the field, 52% from the Free throw line and 67% from behind the arc
    Jakob Poeltel, C, 8.7 ppg, shoots 67% from the field, 43% from the Free throw line and averages 7 boards per game

Arizona is good, well coached, fast, and athletic...but they can be had. We need to keep them off the glass and limit them to only one shot on offense. We need to be aggressive and take it strong at the hoop, get their bigs in foul trouble. Most importantly (the fundamental essential in the game of basketball) we've got to make our shots early and often. Get Loveridge going early with a 3 ball, get Delon driving, and get Taylor a few shots in rhythm. We do this, and we walk out of the Huntsman Center with a win.

I'm as excited for this game as I've been for any basketball game in a long, long time.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Weekend homework link from ESPN with a nice blurb about the last time we beat the Wildcats: http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/pa...-12-title-line

Stanley Johnson, F, 14.2 ppg, shoots 47% from the field, 74% from the Free throw line and 35% from behind the arc
    Brandon Ashley, F, 11.3. ppg, shoots 48% from the field, 65% from the Free throw line and 35% from behind the arc
    Rondae Hollis Jefferson, F, 11.1 ppg, shoots 53% from the field, 69% from the Free throw line and 23% from behind the arc
    T.J. McConnell, G, 9.8 ppg, shoots 50% from the field, 73% from the Free throw line, and 34% from behind the arc, also averages nearly 7 assists per
    Kaleb Tarczewski, C, 9.0 ppg, shoots 59% from the field, 80% from the Free throw line, and averages 5 boards per game.
    Ugh, what a nightmare. That team looks like it was assembled just to be Utah kryptonite. Hollis Jefferson/Johnson are what you would get if you asked a supercomputer to design players to stop Delon Wright. Their 4th best rebounder is probably better than our 1st best rebounder. Our offensive strength - outside shooting - is negated by their length and athleticism. Just looking at starting 5, I think I'd pick Arizona over any team not named Kentucky.

The weak link I see is their 6th man, Gabe York. He is their outside shooter, but I think he is pretty weak defensively. We should be able to take advantage of that guy when he is in.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Ugh, what a nightmare. That team looks like it was assembled just to be Utah kryptonite. Hollis Jefferson/Johnson are what you would get if you asked a supercomputer to design players to stop Delon Wright. Their 4th best rebounder is probably better than our 1st best rebounder. Our offensive strength - outside shooting - is negated by their length and athleticism. Just looking at starting 5, I think I'd pick Arizona over any team not named Kentucky.

The weak link I see is their 6th man, Gabe York. He is their outside shooter, but I think he is pretty weak defensively. We should be able to take advantage of that guy when he is in.
    I don't think they are just Utah's Kryptonite. They are long, physical, and can shoot.

They are Kentucky Lite.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post

The best we can do is rebound hard, with Ute butts on the Arizona players' legs every time a shot goes up (paraphrasing Jim Soto after last night's game), and hope to stay even with them in total rebounds. We need to cut their offensive rebounds below their insanely high average. Poeltl and Reyes have to do something to avoid being pushed around. If we can do all that we have a chance. Altitude might help.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The best we can do is rebound hard, with Ute butts on the Arizona players' legs every time a shot goes up (paraphrasing Jim Soto after last night's game), and hope to stay even with them in total rebounds. We need to cut their offensive rebounds below their insanely high average. Poeltl and Reyes have to do something to avoid being pushed around. If we can do all that we have a chance. Altitude might help.

Rebounds tomorrow are everything. UA is not a good offensive team and really depends on second chance points to score. Whether we can prevent that is the ultimate question. I have doubts. I hope i am wrong.

Frank Jackson is sitting in front of us with his dad and Makol Mawein . Hope he is impressed.
    Were you sitting about mid court, opposite side of the court from the team benches, row 10ish? From where I was sitting I was thinking that might be Frank's dad but wasn't close enough to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    Were you sitting about mid court, opposite side of the court from the team benches, row 10ish? From where I was sitting I was thinking that might be Frank's dad but wasn't close enough to confirm.
    exactly. That is where players families and recruits sit. We are not directly behind that section, we are one section over (to the left as you look across from where you are). My brother knows his dad, because his dad is now a state senator, and pointed him out. I said, oh, that is Frank Jackson's dad, and that is how we figured it out.

Phil Cullen on the Wildcats:

Arizona is now ranked #7 in the country and is a projected 2 seed in the NCAA tournament. They are 25-3 overall and have been playing really well over the last five games. They have four players averaging double figures in Conference play led by small forward Stanley Johnson 14 ppg, pg T.J. McConnell at 12 ppg, and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Brandon Ashley at 11 ppg.

Arizona has the 11th highest rated offense in the country and are shooting 53.8% from 2 pt and 35.7% from 3 pt line. They continue to rebound extremely well on the offensive end by getting 34.3% of their misses. Look for them to push the ball in transition and run a number of different sets with pick and roll. They will also look to use their size and strength down low.

Defensively they are the 3rd ranked team in the country playing a very physical style. They will switch pick and roll with like sizes and will hard blitz/double off of the center.

Arizona is an extremely talented team and they are very well coached. They are a physical team and play as hard as anyone in the country.
    Tomorrow is our Senior Night and last home game for the season. We will be honoring Dallin and Delon prior to tip-off at 6:45 pm. We hope you will come early and help thank our seniors for all of their time and hard work they have given to our Utah program! Tip-off is at 7pm.

--Yeats

Rebounds tomorrow are everything. UA is not a good offensive team and really depends on second chance points to score. Whether we can prevent that is the ultimate question. I have doubts. I hope i am wrong.
    Arizona's offensive game plan is the same every week: run up the floor, look for a quick shot. If nothing is there, get a relatively decent shot, crush your opponents for the rebound and nail the stick back.

Need to control McConnell; even though on paper may not look like it, he is the key to their team. Tayor needs to neutralize him, that did not happen in 1st game.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2227648...-utes-prepping

I can't wait to see these:

marketing director Jennifer White said Utah will give away 2,000 "Swipe Wright" T-shirts with a caricature of Wright's face on them.

I was driving to LAX yesterday and when traffic slowed down I tuned into ESPN 700. Then I actually called in. They'd asked for opinions as to whether this was the biggest home game ever at the Huntsman. I said I thought it was. My point of reference was the Utah-New Mexico game back in 1978, which I attended. Both teams were ranked (maybe in the top 10) and Utah won 95-93. Buster Matheny and Judkins were on that team, and New Mexico's coach was Stormin' Norman Ellenberger. A great game. Students camped out overnight to get seats. I still said tomorrow's game is bigger because it's on a much bigger stage in the PAC-12. Agree? Disagree?

--Yeats

I would say the early 90s vs byu were monster games
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I was driving to LAX yesterday and when traffic slowed down I tuned into ESPN 700. Then I actually called in. They'd asked for opinions as to whether this was the biggest home game ever at the Huntsman. I said I thought it was. My point of reference was the Utah-New Mexico game back in 1978, which I attended. Both teams were ranked (maybe in the top 10) and Utah won 95-93. Buster Matheny and Judkins were on that team, and New Mexico's coach was Stormin' Norman Ellenberger. A great game. Students camped out overnight to get seats. I still said tomorrow's game is bigger because it's on a much bigger stage in the PAC-12. Agree? Disagree?
    In terms of buzz and importance, it probably is the biggest game in a great long while. But you still had the Van Horn vs. Duncan game when we played Wake where you very clearly had two of the top players in college basketball. Obviously I don't know all the schedules etc...but I would say that in the post-Majerus era, it is most definitely the biggest game. This team and this season took the Huntsman Center back, and that cannot be understated.

On College Game Day, Stephen A. Smith and Seth Greenberg picked the Utes, while Jay Williams and Jay Bilas picked the Cats. Can't wait! I hope Larry has an extra long rope to burn in the locker room tonight.

I have a Crimson 1 parking pass (first level in the Institute parking structure) for tonight if anyone wants it. PM me.

--Yeats

This may have been posted already -- it's a very interesting breakdown of the two teams' strengths.

http://pachoops.com/2015/02/everythi...tah-whats-apl/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

In terms of buzz and importance, it probably is the biggest game in a great long while. But you still had the Van Horn vs. Duncan game when we played Wake where you very clearly had two of the top players in college basketball. Obviously I don't know all the schedules etc...but I would say that in the post-Majerus era, it is most definitely the biggest game. This team and this season took the Huntsman Center back, and that cannot be understated.
    In terms of importance, probably. I can't remember any games against New Mexico, BYU, or Fresno State for the conference title where we were both in the top 15.

In terms of just excitement, the Wake Forest game with Tim Duncan had this kind of feel. Everyone was excited to see two top teams with two future NBA players. We lost, but had a fantastic time. We went to Friday's after the game to drown our sorrows in Oreo Madness, so it wasn't a total loss.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    In terms of importance, probably. I can't remember any games against New Mexico, BYU, or Fresno State for the conference title where we were both in the top 15.

In terms of just excitement, the Wake Forest game with Tim Duncan had this kind of feel. Everyone was excited to see two top teams with two future NBA players. We lost, but had a fantastic time. We went to Friday's after the game to drown our sorrows in Oreo Madness, so it wasn't a total loss.
    probably LA Ute and I are the only ones to remember this, but in the 60's, we had Jerry Chambers, Merv Jackson, Jeff Oeckel, the guy from bountiful who broke his leg and cost us the final four, and BYU has Dick Nemelka and Jeff Congden. I am about 80% sure that both teams were ranked in the top ten and the home and home for the conference champtionships may have been the most electric games ever. Of course, they were in Einer Neilsen which was like playing at Duke. But I don't remember more suspense over an entire course of a basketball season. We lost to them but won the conference because they dropped a game to New Mexico or somebody.
    Last edited by concerned; 02-28-2015 at 02:51 PM.

probably lA Ute and I are the only ones to remeber this, but the int 60's, we had Jerry Chambers, Merv Jackson, the guy from bountiful who broke his leg and cost us the final four, and BYU has Dick Nemelka and Jeff Congden. I am about 80% sure that both teams were ranked in the top ten and the home and home for the conference champtionships may have been the most electric games ever. Of course, they were in Einer Neilsen which was like palying at Duke. But I dont rember more suspense over an entire course of a basketball season. We lost to them but won the conference because they dropped a game to New Mexico or somebody.
    I admit, my personal knowledge only goes back to the late 80's. That sounds like it would've been a fun team to watch.