Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The 2013 MLB open thread

Just when you think that you've seen it all.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Just when you think that you've seen it all.
    The play-by-play guys were taken by surprise. The cameras weren't even on the pitcher because he was between pitches. I looked down at something and suddenly the announcers were yelling "He picked him off! This game is over!"

I predict this Series goes 7 games. I hope my Sox can win it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The play-by-play guys were taken by surprise. The cameras weren't even on the pitcher because he was between pitches. I looked down at something and suddenly the announcers were yelling "He picked him off! This game is over!"

I predict this Series goes 7 games. I hope my Sox can win it.
    They were partially surprised because Uehara did that on his own. It wasn't called by the dugout or the catcher. Think everyone was surprised

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    They were partially surprised because Uehara did that on his own. It wasn't called by the dugout or the catcher. Think everyone was surprised
    Right. The first baseman clearly wasn't expecting it either.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I couldn't believe Kolten Wong did that. The first thing you learn in little league when you get to the level where you can take a lead off of a base is that you never jump or hop into your lead; you always take careful, measured, and balanced steps. The problem with jumping to a lead, as you saw last night, is that if the pitcher throws over just as you have jumped there is no way you're going to make it back. This is such basic stuff I was just blown away by it.

The ironic thing is that he should have never been held onto first at that point. With a lefty up in Beltran, and a relatively soft-tosser in Wong, you're leaving the whole right side of the infield open. You hand Wong second base in that situation and play for the out. Interestingly, McCarver and Buck (who are clueless and horrible announcers) kept harping on the BoSox holding Wong on with one out, when it was absolutely the right thing to do in order to maintain the possibility of the double play. Man, I can't tell you how many times during a given game I want to reach through the screen and punch those arrogant and ignorant morons when they're doing the game.

Exciting, but collectively the worst played WS I can ever remember. I cant think of any series that has had so many bone headed plays that they teach you not to do in little league, and so many head scratching managing decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Man, I can't tell you how many times during a given game I want to reach through the screen and punch those arrogant and ignorant morons when they're doing the game.
    Many were the times during the Braves' run in the 90's, when we would mute the TV and listen to the WSB broadcast on AM 750. That's right, AM radio was better than listening to McCarver wax philosophic about the color of the stitches on the ball.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I couldn't believe Kolten Wong did that. The first thing you learn in little league when you get to the level where you can take a lead off of a base is that you never jump or hop into your lead; you always take careful, measured, and balanced steps. The problem with jumping to a lead, as you saw last night, is that if the pitcher throws over just as you have jumped there is no way you're going to make it back. This is such basic stuff I was just blown away by it.

The ironic thing is that he should have never been held onto first at that point. With a lefty up in Beltran, and a relatively soft-tosser in Wong, you're leaving the whole right side of the infield open. You hand Wong second base in that situation and play for the out. Interestingly, McCarver and Buck (who are clueless and horrible announcers) kept harping on the BoSox holding Wong on with one out, when it was absolutely the right thing to do in order to maintain the possibility of the double play. Man, I can't tell you how many times during a given game I want to reach through the screen and punch those arrogant and ignorant morons when they're doing the game.
    You werent the only one laughing at the Sox for holding Wong. Listen all the way to the end and the Cards announcers laughing . . . for a brief moment.

http://deadspin.com/cardinals-radio-...ium=socialflow

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    You werent the only one laughing at the Sox for holding Wong. Listen all the way to the end and the Cards announcers laughing . . . for a brief moment.

http://deadspin.com/cardinals-radio-...ium=socialflow
    Thanks, that's funny. Also, just noticed that I called the pitcher Wong, when it was Uehara. Had the baserunner's name in my head.

Red Sox are looking good. Unless they choke, they'll wrap it up tonight.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Only 104 days until pitchers and catchers report!
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

--Yeats

a%u00252527s+new+stadium.JPG

renderings of new Oakland A's Park

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Ugh, David Price just pitched a 1-hitter with 0 earned runs…and lost.
    Go Royals!

Nats clinch the NL East!!! Back to the post season!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I'm taking in the Mets v. Nats tonight. I am decidedly NOT a Nationals fan, but I certainly can't cheer for a team from New York.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I'm taking in the Mets v. Nats tonight. I am decidedly NOT a Nationals fan, but I certainly can't cheer for a team from New York.
    If you have no other team, embrace the Nats!

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    If you have no other team, embrace the Nats!
    Haven't you noticed the epic Giants thread that I co-started? I think it's on its second page already.

The best part about the game the other night was seeing the Mets honor two long-retired players--Bartolo Colon and Bobby Abreu--by featuring them prominently in their lineup. Classy move, Mets.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So, we have Dodgers, Giants, Nats, Orioles, A's and Tigers fans on this board. 6 of 10 teams - not bad. Any hidden Royals, Cards, Angels, or Pirates fans out there?

Here's the rooting order for good baseball fans:

Tigers > Pirates > Royals > Orioles > Nats > Dodgers > A's > Giants > Cards > Angels

Of course, that means I'll be stuck with an Angels/Cards world series that is barely worth watching.
    The Nats are a pretty well-balanced team. They'll set up their rotation so that Strasburg can pitch at home, which will be nice since he's been awful on the road. This town is so desperate for a winner, I hope they can break through. A beltway series would be really crazy, though not interesting at all to the rest of the country.

the payrolls for baseball's final for are:

#7 San Fran - $153 million

#13 St. Louis - $111 million

#15 Baltimore - $107

#19 KC - $92

I think that's healthy for baseball.