Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Sancho Bowl - Utah vs (Evil Carpetbagging Tobacco Money) Duke

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    No heroes for us tonight. I guess Bachinsky played well. None of our starters did. Am I missing anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Poeltl did ok. 10 points, 9 rebounds, and decent defense.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 03-27-2015 at 10:10 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

lol @ Cook. What a tool.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but it's hard for me to dislike Krsgrsggdcy. I can easily dislike Duke as a whole (sorry Sancho), but the original coach K seems like a solid guy, runs a clean successful program, and is always gracious in his comments.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Terrific run, Utes. Duke is the better team.

As the other Coach K said in post game interview, "...points at critical time." We couldn't get any. At least Taylor made his shots late in the game. Nobody else could. I guess there's no point talking about my least favorite player now. Thought Bach, again, stepped up his game -- nice way to leave the program.
    Last edited by justaute; 03-27-2015 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Chapman. Had two big buckets in the second half.

This ref is an idiot. Does he have money on this?
    Talk about having money on it--the line was Utah plus 5 points; last FT switched it so Duke won by 6.

Lots of Vegas money on that last bring them back from the locker-room point. LOL.

LOL. Good one. Seriously, I didn't expect much from Reyes at all. I'm not going to name my least favorite -- trying to have a good evening.

In the end, we had a terrific season. That's all it matters. I've already moved on to 2015-16. Let's see what happens with Delon.

We already bagged on Reyes enough during the game.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    All the guys who failed to show up in our big games are going to have to figure that out next year.

This will be a learning experience.
    Everyone got minutes. Chapman finally over his stage fright. Kuzma did not do anything, but still played.
    I. Wright looked overwhelmed at times--but it should give him incentive to improve.

We played with Duke--few more bounces & no 3rd foul on Delon & who knows.
    Everyone is playing for 2nd place, so great season & great growth.

hope they all come back!

Let's see what happens with Delon and Poeltl. We'll have a very seasoned team in 2015-16.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Hope we can keep Tommy Connor too.
    Don't know who worked up the D game plan, but it was a masterpiece.

Hard not to worry about what the team looks like when Delon comes out. But, yeah, I'm optimistic too.

We'll definitely miss Bach too. A center like that off the bench is a luxury.
    Olsen isn't as tough as Bach, but he's creative, so hopefully he'll give us solid backup minutes.

Let's get the Twitter campaign going...#ComebackJakob

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Interesting take from USA Today. Could have been written by an angry Ute fan:

The refs handed Duke a win with inexplicable third foul on Utah's star

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/03/duke...caa-tournament

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

2-12, 1 rebound, 2 asst, and 2 TO in 34 minutes -- that's just fantabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    In PAC-12 play at least 4-5 of those ten misses from the floor would have put Delon on the FT line. Our conference might do us and our conference mates a disservice by calling everything. It forces all of us to play a finesse game.

Arizona looked completely lost against Xavier, and Wisconsin will probably throw them around too.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.ph...ll=1#post54101

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Hope we can keep Tommy Connor too.
    Don't know who worked up the D game plan, but it was a masterpiece.
    So much this. That defense was unreal.

Last night exposed again the big weakness. Too hard to score. Nobody you could count on for 15 to 18 to 20 a game. No scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Last night exposed again the big weakness. Too hard to score. Nobody you could count on for 15 to 18 to 20 a game. No scorer.
    Kind of an eerie parallel with football. We can come up with a great defensive scheme, learn good, blue-collar defense, and then try to win by stopping our opponents from scoring. Often we stymie more talented teams that way.

That said, I don't fully agree that we had no scorer. All season long we often got hot from outside and that's when we blew out other teams. Our team was sort of built on the principle of a balanced, across-the-board attack -- on any given night one player, or two or three players, could kill you. Last night we couldn't shoot. It looked like the cavernous nature of the arena really affected both teams, but Duke (Winslow especially) found the range. Taylor was missing his attempts by a foot. I was amazed when he drove, faked his man up, and had an easy eight-footer -- which he then airballed. Unbelievable. We had plenty of open looks, just couldn't hit them until it was too late.

But even so, we were in the game. If we had committed half as many turnovers and made half our layups, the outcome could easily have been different.

I think the hole we dug that sealed our fate was that stretch of 8 straight possessions with no points and 4 turnovers. With the TOs it was really 4 possessions for us and a gift of 4 extra possessions for Duke -- I am not sure but I think they scored on all 4 of them.

My layman's opinion is that we were a bit spooked by the pressure, the bright lights, and the strange arena and never really got comfortable. Next year's team will not have that problem; they've been there now. At least that's my hope.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Kind of an eerie parallel with football. We can come up with a great defensive scheme, learn good, blue-collar defense, and then try to win by stopping our opponents from scoring. Often we stymie more talented teams that way.

That said, I don't fully agree that we had no scorer. All season long we often got hot from outside and that's when we blew out other teams. Our team was sort of built on the principle of a balanced, across-the-board attack -- on any given night one player, or two or three players, could kill you. Last night we couldn't shoot. It looked like the cavernous nature of the arena really affected both teams, but Duke (Winslow especially) found the range. Taylor was missing his attempts by a foot. I was amazed when he drove, faked his man up, and had an easy eight-footer -- which he then airballed. Unbelievable. We had plenty of open looks, just couldn't hit them until it was too late.

But even so, we were in the game. If we had committed half as many turnovers and made half our layups, the outcome could easily have been different.

I think the hole we dug that sealed our fate was that stretch of 8 straight possessions with no points and 4 turnovers. With the TOs it was really 4 possessions for us and a gift of 4 extra possessions for Duke -- I am not sure but I think they scored on all 4 of them.

My layman's opinion is that we were a bit spooked by the pressure, the bright lights, and the strange arena and never really got comfortable. Next year's team will not have that problem; they've been there now. At least that's my hope.
    the football parallel is apt. On the assumption that Poeltl goes pro, we will fall back next year. No Delon Poeltl or Bach will hurt the defense, and it is hard to see the offense being much better unless Chapman Kuzma and/or Bealer become that scorer and relegate Reyes and Jlov to lesser minutes.

I also that the backdrop really affected both teams. It rattled us and we never recovered.
    Last edited by concerned; 03-28-2015 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    So much this. That defense was unreal.
    Yes and no. The best defender in the building was the building itself. Pomeroy wrote an excellent post about how just about every team that's played in that stadium shoots worse than its season percentages.

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/web...the_nrg_effect

Re: The Sancho Bowl - Utah vs (Evil Carpetbagging Tobacco Money) Duke

Last night we saw all of the strengths and weaknesses of this team on display in the same game.

The Good:

The defense was a wonderful sight. The rotations, the double team's, and the help defense kept us in the entire game. Transition defense fell asleep on a couple of plays, but a stellar performance none the less. We choose to keep Okafor locked down, and pressure Jones. Winslow beat us by having a terrific individual performance. Sometimes you have to choose your poison and go with it. We did the same with the triangle and two in 1998. The difference was Dickerson played poorly, whereas Winslow did not.

This team showed the heart of a champion by fighting to the end, long after most fans, including myself, had resigned to the inevitable. That speaks to the character of the players and the coaches.

Taylor is the bellwether for this team. His turnaround in the final 7 minutes was astounding. Too bad he didn't find his stroke even 5 minutes earlier than he did. So many folks wanted to bury him on the bench before the season started. But he clearly was our 3rd best player, but also our most important player. He was the heart and soul of this team; the unquestioned leader.

The Bad:

The shooting droughts and turnovers. Broken record for the games that we lost this year, so not much to else to add.

Loveridge is good for either 18 points or 0 for 9. He won a few games for us when no one else was getting it done, but he shot us out of a few games as well. I won't put last night on him because no one shot well, but that was a game we could have used a 14 point night from him. Moving forward, I would like to see him as the 6th man for next year. That way we can gauge good night/bad night, and distribute minutes accordingly.

The 3rd foul on Delon was game altering. The immediate impact was felt when he left and the score went from 19-17 to 27-17 with us attempting only 2 shots. But the impact carried into the second half because he was tentative going into the lane. He feared getting an offensive foul called so he tried to avoid contact in traffic. And he was far less aggressive on defense. Duke drove at him with impunity because they knew he wouldn't risk that 4th foul. Game changing moment in a 6 point loss.

We finished about where I thought we would at the beginning of the season. I had flirting thoughts of a grander ending at times through the season, but in the end we were what we were; a very good team pushing on the door of the elite club, but just couldn't quite knock the door in.

Even if Poeltl leaves for the NBA, I think we can end up about the same position next year, good not elite, but setting up for a special season in 2016-17.

If Poeltl stays, we could exceed this years finish.
    Last edited by Jarid in Cedar; 03-28-2015 at 02:06 PM.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

This is a good video to show why scouts see Poeltl as a late lottery prospect right now. It is centric towards Okafor, but they show how Poeltl won the individual battle against arguably the #1 pick in the draft. After watching his play the last 3 games, Poeltl has about 5 million reasons to leave this season.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...hup-Video-4854
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Jordan is the new Taylor. All off season, people will predict that Bealer or Kuzma or someone will take his spot. Then in November, he will come out as a starter and will have a good season.
    I agree, but personally, I see he has everything that you want out of a 6th man. Specifically, a streaky scorer who could take advantage of an oppositions bench. Barring surprise defections, we will still be one of the deepest teams in the league. Loveridge could benefit significantly from matching up against weaker benches in conferences where the players are less athletic(which is what he struggles against).
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Last night we saw all of the strengths and weaknesses of this team on display in the same game.

The Good:

The defense was a wonderful sight. The rotations, the double team's, and the help defense kept us in the entire game. Transition defense fell asleep on a couple of plays, but a stellar performance none the less. We choose to keep Okafor locked down, and pressure Jones. Winslow beat us by having a terrific individual performance. Sometimes you have to choose your poison and go with it. We did the same with the triangle and two in 1998. The difference was Dickerson played poorly, whereas Winslow did not.

This team showed the heart of a champion by fighting to the end, long after most fans, including myself, had resigned to the inevitable. That speaks to the character of the players and the coaches.

Taylor is the bellwether for this team. His turnaround in the final 7 minutes was astounding. Too bad he didn't find his stroke even 5 minutes earlier than he did. So many folks wanted to bury him on the bench before the season started. But he clearly was our 3rd best player, but also our most important player. He was the heart and soul of this team; the unquestioned leader.

The Bad:

The shooting droughts and turnovers. Broken record for the games that we lost this year, so not much to else to add.

Loveridge is good for either 18 points or 0 for 9. He won a few games for us when no one else was getting it done, but he shot us out of a few games as well. I won't put last night on him because no one shot well, but that was a game we could have used a 14 point night from him. Moving forward, I would like to see him as the 6th man for next year. That way we can gauge good night/bad night, and distribute minutes accordingly.

The 3rd foul on Delon was game altering. The immediate impact was felt when he left and the score went from 19-17 to 27-17 with us attempting only 2 shots. But the impact carried into the second half because he was tentative going into the lane. He feared getting an offensive foul called so he tried to avoid contact in traffic. And he was far less aggressive on defense. Duke drove at him with impunity because they knew he wouldn't risk that 4th foul. Game changing moment in a 6 point loss.

We finished about where I thought we would at the beginning of the season. I had flirting thoughts of a grander ending at times through the season, but in the end we were what we were; a very good team pushing on the door of the elite club, but just couldn't quite knock the door in.

Even if Poeltl leaves for the NBA, I think we can end up about the same position next year, good not elite, but setting up for a special season in 2016-17.

If Poeltl stays, we could exceed this years finish.
    Good take on the game.

--Yeats

Jordan is the new Taylor. All off season, people will predict that Bealer or Kuzma or someone will take his spot. Then in November, he will come out as a starter and will have a good season.
    Sancho,
    If Jordan starts - or is even the sixth man - it better be because he is better on both sides of the ball than whomever is displaced. I've said it before and I'll say it again - he looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. He is simply a wuss. I'll take the up and down shooting - welcome to most college basketball players; but I am so tired of the disappearing act defensively and rebounding. I know the coaching staff is as well. He will not be handed a starting job next season. He'll have to earn it.

Maybe. He's been consistently inconsistent for two straight seasons and still makes horrible passes at the perfectly wrong moment. I hope he becomes a senior leader on the team but if he keeps playing the way he has been someone may displace him.

--Yeats

As soon as we have someone who is not inconsistent, that person may overtake him. So far, we don't have anyone who fits that description. Who else is a potential starter as a 3? Kuzma? Tucker? Not exactly candidates for Mr Reliable.
    You may be right. All I am seeing is Jordan's fairly spectacular disappearances -- games in which he is simply not a factor, followed by games in which he is a killer. Unless I am mistaken (and I may be) his disappearances have been in critical games. Maybe we can't do any better, but if the coaches can see a way to do better they will. that's all I am saying. I like JIC's idea of JL as the 6th man and playing at strategic moments.

--Yeats

We're an NIT team if Poeltl declares. He commands double teams and lets our guys roam free on the perimeter. There is not a single player on the roster than we can expect to do that from Day 1 next year.

Certainly don't disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    We're an NIT team if Poeltl declares. He commands double teams and lets our guys roam free on the perimeter. There is not a single player on the roster than we can expect to do that from Day 1 next year.

I will disagree slightly in that I have a lot of faith in Larry to coach these guys up. We may be a bubble team, but I believe we'll be in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Sancho,
    If Jordan starts - or is even the sixth man - it better be because he is better on both sides of the ball than whomever is displaced. I've said it before and I'll say it again - he looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. He is simply a wuss. I'll take the up and down shooting - welcome to most college basketball players; but I am so tired of the disappearing act defensively and rebounding. I know the coaching staff is as well. He will not be handed a starting job next season. He'll have to earn it.
    Loveridge is so perplexing to me. On paper he seems to be a matchup nightmare but then you see what we've seen the past two seasons. I have this dream he'll turn the corner this off-season and we'll have better things to say than the 'thanks for taking a chance on us when you really shouldn't have...' platitudes.

Reflecting he has really done a lot to change his game and seems to put in certain kinds of work and copious amounts of it, but then I hear about him falling short in maybe the work that matters the most.

I'm putting a outlandish bet out there that him being out of the shadow of Delon pushes him to his on-paper potential next year and our complaints about him will be forgotten.

That being said, that feels an awful lot like the year after Bogut people were expecting Bryant Markson to be 'the guy'.