Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Sancho Bowl - Utah vs (Evil Carpetbagging Tobacco Money) Duke

Getting to know Duke University:

The History of Duke University began when Brown's Schoolhouse, a private subscription school in Randolph County, North Carolina (in the present-day town of Trinity), was founded in 1838. Actually, it began in like 1925, but we can’t imagine the horrifying thought of maintaining our stunning pretentiousness with less than a century of existence, so we’ll go with the whole Brown’s Schoolhouse thingy.

Finally moving to Durham in 1892, the school grew rapidly, primarily due to the generosity of Washington Duke and Julian S. Carr, powerful and respected Methodists who had grown wealthy through turning people’s lungs into malignant lumps of carbon and also making fun of Unitarians.

In 1924, Washington Duke's son, James B. Duke, established The Duke Endowment, which sounds like something a person may have had to do at a rest stop near Rock Springs, Wyoming, due to an off night at the Taco John’s.

Duke’s motto is “Eruditio et Religio” from the Latin meaning “We were born on third and believe we hit a triple.”

Duke’s mascot, the Blue Devil, looks like Wario from MarioKart, only if Wario had done Weight Watchers and also had become a huge douche canoe.

Duke’s basketball team is lead by Mike Krzyzewski, or “Coach Krzyzewski,” as many call him. He’s had a remarkable amount of success for a man who looks and acts like he should be playing Rumpelstiltskin with a travelling carnival.

Duke has many notable alumni including Tim Cook, Charlie Rose, Elizabeth Dole, Darth Vader, the Cobra Kai, and pretty much everybody on ESPN that you really want to punch in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post
    Getting to know Duke University:

Duke’s basketball team is lead by Mike Krzyzewski, or “Coach Krzyzewski,” as many call him. He’s had a remarkable amount of success for a man who looks and acts like he should be playing Rumpelstiltskin with a travelling carnival.
    I disapprove of jokes about a person's appearance.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Just for grins, a Rome classic:

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I'm with you. Being in the position we're in after the last decade feels like this:

Attachment 1433
    That's precisely the feeling, DNF. 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    And Richard Nixon and sancho.
    Have you ever been on ESPN? Because if so you were already covered by his post.

The Sancho Bowl - Utah vs (Evil Carpetbagging Tobacco Money) Duke

Not sure how this all plays out, but I'm all cashed out of any more bad luck, so I think karma finds a balance tonight. I'll be watching from the pediatric ER where my 2 year old is admitted on one floor and my one year old is admitted on another floor. Nothing too serious. They've both had allergic reactions to penicillin. We're all just sick of hanging out in the hospital the last couple days. Go Utes! At least I won't be the only one screaming while the game is on!
    Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 03-27-2015 at 05:53 PM.

If it weren't for bad luck, you wouldn't have no luck at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Not sure how this all plays out, but I'm all cashed out of any more bad luck, so I think karma finds a balance tonight. I'll be watching from the pediatric ER WHERE MY 2 year old is admitted on one
    So sorry, DS! I hope your little guy is well taken-care-of and goes home today!

--Yeats

UCLA is some how worse at close range than we are.

My two boys have their red on for the game!

Wow. They look miserable.

Uh oh, we won the tip. That can't be good.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Reyes drives me nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

Well Duke is getting even more favorable officiating than usual.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Lids on both baskets.

--Yeats

6 steps is acceptable if you are a Duke player right.

So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

I don't want to see the ball in Reyes' hands under the hoop.

--Yeats

This started great, but now it is trending bad.

We need to change it up on offense. Drive more, take advantage of Dukes shitty defense.

--fjm.com

Wow - Taylor! He has got to find the range. He's way way off. Great fake. Then he airballs an 8-footer.

--Yeats

They aren't going to call a damn thing on Duke. I hate the refs that let duke get away with that more than that fucker on their sideline.

--fjm.com

Holy fucking shit on that 3rd foul on Wright. 100 percent fixed bullshit from the refs.

--fjm.com

That's just awful. Every player should foul out if that's a foul

Wright has been called for as many fouls as Duke.

--fjm.com

Unforced turnovers will cost us this game.

--Yeats

That foul changes the entire game. Forces Larry to take Wright out which lets Duke start to press.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Unforced turnovers will cost us this game.
    Nope, it is the officials.

--fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Nope, it is the officials.

We might be able to overcome the officiating if we don't throw the ball into the stands.

--Yeats

And Jordan tosses one into the stands.

--Yeats

Per Matthew Piper Delon only had 3 fouls in 4 games this year and only had more than 3 once.

He gets 3 in 15 minutes tonight......

We might be able to overcome the officiating if we don't throw the ball into the stands.

We are self destructing because they took Wright out of the game and the players know it going to be Duke officiating tonight.

--fjm.com

And Jordan tosses one into the stands.

We're not exactly doing anything well here. Duke is playing with a ton of physicality right now and we're not handling it well.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.