Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 NBA Draft thread

With just more than a month to go before the big day, nbadraft.net has Delon going 21st overall to the Mavs. DraftExpress had him going to the warriors at 30 (last I checked).

It will be a pretty crazy month for him with workouts and interviews. He has such a big range that I can see him making a lot of visits around the league.

Chad Ford has him going 20 to Chicago, I think. He said that his age is working against him (weird, but whatever). He's one of those players that is probably going to be selected in the mid-20s that will make people say in a few years "how did so many people miss on him?"
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Chad Ford has him going 20 to Chicago, I think. He said that his age is working against him (weird, but whatever). He's one of those players that is probably going to be selected in the mid-20s that will make people say in a few years "how did so many people miss on him?"
    The NBA has this love affair with youth. It's ruined both the NBA and hurt college IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    The NBA has this love affair with youth. It's ruined both the NBA and hurt college IMO

That's an inconsistent statement. Excess of youth (NBA) and a lack of it (college) cannot combine to ruin both products. We were one quarter from having an NBA Final Four of Atlanta, Cleveland, Golden State and the Clippers. I cannot even begin to think of a reasonable equivalent to the college game. The NBA is far from ruined, and would be doing even better if its marquee big-city franchises (Lakers, Knicks, Celtics, Sixers) weren't in the lottery or flirting with it, not to mention the unusually bad luck it had with season-ending injuries to Jabari Parker and Julius Randle.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It's more than his age. How can an NBA team draft a guard without a jump shot? He does lots of things well, but this is the NBA. They can find someone who does the same things almost as well who also have a jumper. The NBA guard without a shot is a very rare breed.
    I think of all the concerns a team might have with a prospect, lack of a respectable jump shot would rank pretty low on the red flags list, especially for a guy like Delon who saw a 14% uptick in his three point shooting (on more attempts) from his junior to senior season. Lots of guys in the NBA come in without a respectable jumper and develop one in time. Delon brings a lot of things to the table that NBA teams are going to be excited about.

Well, yeah. That's why he's projected to go in the first round of the NBA draft.

Say we have two Delon clones. One is 20 years old, and one is 23 (Delon's age). They both have all of Delon's basketball skills, but the latter has a great jump shot. Which one gets drafted higher?
    In today's nba, the 20 year old, as dumb as that sounds.

I'm pretty sure the guy with the great jumper and complete game will go first. You are overstating the value they put on youth.
    Well, it is difficult to make a definitive statement because each team is unique. Personally, I would take the kid who can shoot, even if he is three years older, all else being equal. That said, it is undeniable that for quite a while, potential has been valued more highly than actual skills. Age is a big factor, and a 23 year old, even if he has a complete game would be seen as a guy without potential.

I think most teams would take the 20-year-old. I know I would.

Fans are always saying this. "I can't believe they passed on so-and-so senior for this one-and-done kid." But there really aren't that many examples.

Potential is important, and it should be, but the skills gap is not always as wide as people make it out to be. One-and-dones have been holding their own vs the seniors in the college game. They are winning POY awards. They just won the national championship. Putting potential aside, Justice Winslow simply has more skill right now than the older guys he is getting drafted in front of.
    Winslow is high because he is just as skilled as anybody, maybe not as refined per se, but he is at this level as a 19 year old. He wouldn't be nearly as highly thought of if he was this good as a 22 year old. Probably a fringe first rounder.

Ok. Give me some examples of extremely skilled and athletic 22, 23 year olds who fell far in the draft for being too old.

Thats the thing, they dont exist because they have left school before then, lol. Ill turn it around a bit..........give me an example of a 22-23 year old who was the "cant miss" pick of any recent nba draft.

So we really don't know what would happen if Okafor stayed three more years. My guess is he would still be a lotto pick.
    Very very likely.

Ok. Give me some examples of extremely skilled and athletic 22, 23 year olds who fell far in the draft for being too old.
    Draymond Green
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Enjoy your Rajon Rondo while I make money on my Chris Paul.
    I'm very confused. Both Paul and Rondo played two years in college and were drafted at essentially the same age. Paul was pretty much better than Rondo at everything at the same ages, let alone only being as good as Rondo at everything other than shooting when he's 3 years older.

The thing is, Delon isn't your average 23 year old college senior. He's more polished than most 4 year players. He plays like a guy whose already played 2 years in the NBA in that he understands the game at very high level. Especially at the pick-and-roll. If he gets on a team that uses the pick and roll a lot, he's going to do very well.

Ben Anderson of 1320 KFAN and ksl.com said he sees Delon as a second round talent. Granted, Ben is somewhat of a troll but I suppose you never know.

I was going to say here that if my team landed Delon in the second round, I would be beyond thrilled. But then I realized that I dont want Delon on the Jazz, for a few reasons.

Curious to know if the Jazz fans among us would like to have Delon stay in SLC?

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Ben Anderson of 1320 KFAN and ksl.com said he sees Delon as a second round talent. Granted, Ben is somewhat of a troll but I suppose you never know.

I was going to say here that if my team landed Delon in the second round, I would be beyond thrilled. But then I realized that I dont want Delon on the Jazz, for a few reasons.

Curious to know if the Jazz fans among us would like to have Delon stay in SLC?
    That's why he works on a crappy local sports radio station and not in the NBA

http://www.nbadraft.net/team-needs-southwest-division-6

This article suggests Delon might be a good fit in Houston. The Rockets pick 18th. I am not sure that is the best fit in the world, but you never know.

Well, they do need a PG badly, since their PGs are both 70 years old. The problem is that they also need shooting. Ariza is the only outside threat for Harden/Howard to dump it off to.
    That is true and a great point. I guess my hang up is that good old Jimmy Harden is such a ball-dominant guard and Delon isn't of much use playing off the ball. But maybe Harden is only so ball-dominant out of necessity and having a guy like Delon would help him be more efficient, its hard to tell what is player choice versus scheme.

Two and a half weeks to go and Delon really hasn't moved much in either direction.

A lot of stories came out when he worked out for the Blazers last week. That, of course, is where his brother plays. Portland picks 23rd, which is about as low as id expect him to be picked.

Just over a week out now and I see a lot of mocks have Delon going to the Bulls at 22........not a bad landing spot. Might be good opportunity, given Rose's knack for getting hurt.

In a weird piece of news, nbadraft.net has a 2016 mock draft up, and they have Poeltl going 12th to the Jazz! That obviously means nothing, but I am just imagining a weasel like Jason Shepard from KSL who sometimes "covers" the Jazz (I use that term lightly as Shep is basically a credentialed Cougarboard troll) trying to say something positive or get excited about a hated Ute joining his Jazz.

Just over a week out now and I see a lot of mocks have Delon going to the Bulls at 22........not a bad landing spot. Might be good opportunity, given Rose's knack for getting hurt.

In a weird piece of news, nbadraft.net has a 2016 mock draft up, and they have Poeltl going 12th to the Jazz! That obviously means nothing, but I am just imagining a weasel like Jason Shepard from KSL who sometimes "covers" the Jazz (I use that term lightly as Shep is basically a credentialed Cougarboard troll) trying to say something positive or get excited about a hated Ute joining his Jazz.
    if the Jazz have the 12th pick next year, all managment should be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    if the Jazz have the 12th pick next year, all managment should be fired.
    ...and the team should be sold to Mark Hanson and moved to Seattle.

Chad Ford's latest mock has him to the Cavs at #24.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    Chad Ford's latest mock has him to the Cavs at #24.
    Delon playing for the Cavs would be a great situation, for him. Kyrie Irving should be recovered, but geez, that guy has had about every injury imaginable - I've never even heard of anyone fracturing their kneecap, and why should it keep anyone out? - and Dellavadova has been a gamer, but he doesn't have anything close to NBA length or athleticism, and it was painfully obvious in the finals.

I don't see any reason Delon's outside game won't improve. The biggest issue for Delon might be his physique and ability to handle the NBA schedule, but guys like James Jones and Shaun Livingston have made a nice living in the NBA being rail thin, so as long as he figures out how to deal with guys who will try to overpower him, he'll be fine.

LeBron, Tristan Thompson and Mosgov would all be instant buddies with Delon.

I know this draft is deep, but Delon to Cleveland would be a case of the rich getting richer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Delon playing for the Cavs would be a great situation, for him. Kyrie Irving should be recovered, but geez, that guy has had about every injury imaginable - I've never even heard of anyone fracturing their kneecap, and why should it keep anyone out? - and Dellavadova has been a gamer, but he doesn't have anything close to NBA length or athleticism, and it was painfully obvious in the finals.

I don't see any reason Delon's outside game won't improve. The biggest issue for Delon might be his physique and ability to handle the NBA schedule, but guys like James Jones and Shaun Livingston have made a nice living in the NBA being rail thin, so as long as he figures out how to deal with guys who will try to overpower him, he'll be fine.

LeBron, Tristan Thompson and Mosgov would all be instant buddies with Delon.

I know this draft is deep, but Delon to Cleveland would be a case of the rich getting richer.
    I think Livingston's comeback is a great story and he's handled very well the fact that injuries robbed him from reaching his full potential, but I wouldn't wish his career or make comparisons to him on anyone.

Best of luck to Delon tonight! May he end up in a great situation! Going to miss him at the U, but very excited to follow the next chapter of his basketball career!

I love the draft. I'm always excited to see where people go, which makes no sense because I don't follow them once they are there.

I haven't seen a Jazz game for a few years now (usually just watch the playoffs), but I still have opinions:

I like the Trey Burke trade talk, but I doubt they'll find any takers.

Of those I've seen in mock drafts, I like WCS, Kaminsky, Payne, Oubre, and Hunter.

I don't like Turner, Lyles, Booker, Portis, or Johnson.

I don't know what to think about Looney.

I keep seeing Winslow to my local Nuggets. I would love that.
    I agree. The draft is tremendously fun.

As always, the rumor mill is going. Last year it was Derrick Favors and the 5 pick for the top pick overall. This year, its Derrick Favors and 12 to move up into the top 4 or 5. If there is a trade, itll likely be something that no one saw coming.

I think I generally agree with your assesment of the picks, except for Oubre. I wonder about the guys IQ.

Delon to Toronto.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Ronde and his silly free throw shimmy heading to Portland.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

I didn't get my Winslow to Denver wish. The Jazz grabbed one of the guys on my no list. Delon went to the NBA's afterthought team.

Still, a Ute in the NBA. Been a while!
    I can't believe Winslow fell to 10. He was the most important player (I think) in Duke's run this year....at least in the NCAA tournament.