Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utes in the news...

Utes in the news...

I ran across this story and wasn't sure where to put it. It isn't really a story about the 2015 team, but I'm not sure it is worthy of its own thread. So I thought I'd start a thread devoted to pieces about Ute footballers. Past or present.

This story is about RB James Takada Grey being the first Division 1 footballer. That seems surprising to me, but I read it on the internets so it must be true.

RB Gray blazing trail for Japanese football with Utes.

Nice story about Trevor Reilly in the NY Post:

http://nypost.com/2015/09/21/jets-tr...cker-prospect/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

An ESPN article on the success of Polynesian athletes in football, with a focus on Utah's football team in particular.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...s-pac-12-surge

A good article on Dennis Erickson. Sounds like he's got no desire to leave the real U

http://nyti.ms/1L6Z2ae

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    A good article on Dennis Erickson. Sounds like he's got no desire to leave the real U

http://nyti.ms/1L6Z2ae

Great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Great stuff!
    Agree. Good read. Erickson and Pease have both been great additions to the staff. Hopefully they both stick around as long as they want.

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    An ESPN article on the success of Polynesian athletes in football, with a focus on Utah's football team in particular.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...s-pac-12-surge
    Did any of you see that movie about Polynesian kids and football? I believe it debuted at Sundance last year. How was it?
    "We're pretty damn good," -- Coach John Pease

Growing into a Power by Andy Staples

http://www.campusrush.com/utah-utes-...?xid=si_social

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Growing into a Power by Andy Staples

http://www.campusrush.com/utah-utes-...?xid=si_social
    The Utes no longer have to look up at the rest of the Pac-12. They aren't the new guys anymore. They aren't "poor little Utah." The Utes are the ones who humbled Oregon in a way no one else had since 2003. They know they have to string together more wins to truly contend in their new conference home, but they'll never again stand in awe of a conference rival. "When I first got here, it was unbelievable. I couldn't believe I was on the same field with those guys," Asiata said. "We're those guys now."
    Like.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

The last thing this team needs is to be distracted by huge controversies like this. http://www.ksl.com/?sid=37028894&nid...&s_cid=queue-3

The last thing this team needs is to be distracted by huge controversies like this. http://www.ksl.com/?sid=37028894&nid...&s_cid=queue-3
    Good grief.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-20-2015 at 02:46 PM.

--Yeats

Aren't frivolous lawsuits the official sign that you're "big time"?

Is this really an issue?! I don't see those ruling having precedence on colleges, when they are clearly for minors in elementary, middle, and high school. The military has paid clergy. I also assume that Scalley and Poiha (sp?) aren't getting "paid" to do this and just do it on their own or in conjunction with the LDS institute as a sort of calling.

As someone who isn't LDS and firmly believes in separation of church and state I will say this.

What a stupid letter and request. Who cares what they do?

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Is this really an issue?! I don't see those ruling having precedence on colleges, when they are clearly for minors in elementary, middle, and high school. The military has paid clergy. I also assume that Scalley and Poiha (sp?) aren't getting "paid" to do this and just do it on their own or in conjunction with the LDS institute as a sort of calling.
    I think Scalley et al. teach the classes in the football center. Maybe that's the rub. I think the timing of this is interesting -- just as the Utah program is getting unprecedented news media attention, this comes up? These classes have been going on for a long time. Why now? Probably to attract the maximum attention. I'm not conspiracy-minded so I won't speculate about the long-term goals of those who are raising this. They may well be focused solely on the church/state issue because they are mission-driven (no pun intended). Or maybe they are just godless communists.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think Scalley et al. teach the classes in the football center. Maybe that's the rub. I think the timing of this is interesting -- just as the Utah program is getting unprecedented news media attention, this comes up? These classes have been going on for a long time. Why now? Probably to attract the maximum attention. I'm not conspiracy-minded so I won't speculate about the long-term goals of those who are raising this. They may well be focused solely on the church/state issue because they are mission-driven (no pun intended). Or maybe they are just godless communists.
    It's because the D News did a story on it, and thus it's out in the open. I think is stupid, but that's certainly the reason it's come up.

Maybe somebody close to the program, perhaps even a player, dropped a dime because he felt like an 'outsider' to this clique. Groups like this only write letters like this if somebody notifies them (e.g. they need to advocate for somebody, they won't waste time writing letters that benefit nobody).

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Maybe somebody close to the program, perhaps even a player, dropped a dime because he felt like an 'outsider' to this clique. Groups like this only write letters like this if somebody notifies them (e.g. they need to advocate for somebody, they won't waste time writing letters that benefit nobody).
    Uh, not always. Groups like this are many times advocating for a cause, not a victim.

The article states the class is run by an Institute teacher, with Pouha and Scally helping out on their own time. They are not paid by the state to participate in the class. The fact that it is held in the football facility might be the only sticky issue (is the article is accurate).
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I don't specifically know about this group, but i know the Freedom From Religion Foundation only advocates when requested.

But the issue of having an In-group vs Out-group still remains. Those who attend can build closer relationships with position coaches than with others who don't attend.

And when somebody who adheres to a different religious tradition attends the class to Build Relationships of Trust(tm) and voices a contrary opinion on a scriptural passage or doctrinal position, will he be embraced or will he be marginalized?

This is a sticky situation (although it may be ultimately meaningless in the bigger picture). The perception of fans and outsiders is probably irrelevant, but perception can be reality for the young player who is away from home for the first time, and if his perception is that he feels ostracized on his down time, that will be a bad situation for him.

I don't specifically know about this group, but i know the Freedom From Religion Foundation only advocates when requested.

But the issue of having an In-group vs Out-group still remains. Those who attend can build closer relationships with position coaches than with others who don't attend.

And when somebody who adheres to a different religious tradition attends the class to Build Relationships of Trust(tm) and voices a contrary opinion on a scriptural passage or doctrinal position, will he be embraced or will he be marginalized?

This is a sticky situation (although it may be ultimately meaningless in the bigger picture). The perception of fans and outsiders is probably irrelevant, but perception can be reality for the young player who is away from home for the first time, and if his perception is that he feels ostracized on his down time, that will be a bad situation for him.
    This is what they said when they shut down the knitting class being held by Sitake. But then again he was known to put guys in the pit who couldn't make a sweater.

Guess another letter will be coming soon.

The Reverend France Davis routinely comes to the facility to provide his services, at the request of the players.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...n-classes.html

Outrageous

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    Where will this end? Do they go after coaches who routinely lead their teams in pregame prayers or teams that have the "cool" kids gather at the 50 yard line to pray after the game? Do they go after the NFL with their taxpayer funded stadiums?
    "We're pretty damn good," -- Coach John Pease

shep.jpg

And then theres this gem...........

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    shep.jpg

But only if you are a highly sought after athlete.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

shep.jpg

Pure comedy gold.

--Yeats

Maybe somebody close to the program, perhaps even a player, ....
    This is a good start, but I think we should plumb the depths of possibility as to who narced on football teams strategy for assuring only worthy God fearing players see the field.

My bet is on some athletic department-hating professor.

shep.jpg

The crazy thing about his entire statement is his conflation of the "LDS experience" with the "byu experience". This is a laughably false equivalence.

If anybody goes to Utah and wants a byu experience, all he needs to do is hang out at the Institute between classes, wear khakis with a braided leather belt, and tell all the female Freshman students that they should date him because he is an RM and thus is a worthy Priesthood holder.

The crazy thing about his entire statement is his conflation of the "LDS experience" with the "byu experience". This is a laughably false equivalence.

If anybody goes to Utah and wants a byu experience, all he needs to do is hang out at the Institute between classes, wear khakis with a braided leather belt, and tell all the female Freshman students that they should date him because he is an RM and thus is a worthy Priesthood holder.
    And they STILL wouldn't get the BYU experience. No HC, no narking on roommates, forced to look at beards and long hair, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    And they STILL wouldn't get the BYU experience. No HC, no narking on roommates, forced to look at beards and long hair, etc, etc.
    I was going for snark, but I completely forgot the evil dark side. The Honor Code may seem wholesome on the surface but it has an insidious and evil underbelly. Nobody should expose their children to that kind of world.