Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The official Donald Trump thread

A rare departure for Saturday Night Live:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=imUigBNF-TE
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-19-2017 at 12:59 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Why Trump paid so little, or so much in 2005

David Cay Johnson:

Donald Trump, in writing, in his campaign documents, has said, "We’re going to get rid of the alternative minimum tax." Well, of the $36.6 million in tax that he paid, more than $31 million was because of the alternative minimum tax. And the reason for that is that that $103 million that was disallowed under the alternative minimum tax—it’s allowed under the regular tax, disallowed under the alternative—even with it being disallowed, Donald Trump still got a 20 percent tax discount on his taxes. And here’s why. At that level of income in 2005, your tax rate is 35 percent of your income. But if you’re on the alternative minimum tax, your tax rate is only 28 percent. That’s 20 percent less. So he was only paying 80 cents on the dollar to begin with. And this is part of what I’ve been writing about for years. We really have a tax system in America that very effectively and efficiently taxes your wages, your labor income. But if, like Donald Trump, you’re a business owner, and if, like Donald Trump, you’re willing to buy aggressive and dubious tax shelters and do sketchy things, you can pay very little tax. And we know that there are at least two years when Donald Trump did not pay any income taxes, even though he had multimillion-dollar income, because he had to put some of that information into the public record.

"It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so"
    - Will Rogers

"Cyberspace is - or can be - a good, friendly and egalitarian place to meet. "

- Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    David Cay Johnson:
    Now however the amt is way out of whack. You get hit with at if you have dependent credits and state and local income tax credits. It affects a zillion more taxpayers than it was originally intended to-- people like trump, because ut has never been indexed for inflation.

Something fun in this thread...?

Warning: Rated R for language.

Ha ha. I'll go first.

While not "The Secret Life of Pets", my sex life is semi-interesting (lol...semi). We have a 9, 7, and 5 year old. So more like...lol. I found it, but I will change it a little due to the fact that this is my first (and last) year in snow for awhile...The Spy Who Came In The Cold...ha ha.

p.s. I did do a google search for spy movie titles. Thank god "The Third Man' doesn't apply...hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Ha ha. I'll go first.

While not "The Secret Life of Pets", my sex life is semi-interesting (lol...semi). We have a 9, 7, and 5 year old. So more like...lol. I found it, but I will change it a little due to the fact that this is my first (and last) year in snow for awhile...The Spy Who Came In The Cold...ha ha.

p.s. I did do a google search for spy movie titles. Thank god "The Third Man' doesn't apply...hopefully.
    Uh....what?