Page 1 of 87 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Presidential Election

2016 Presidential Election

I guess we ought to have a thread on this. I'll start with this interview between Chris Cuomo and Marco Rubio (presently my favorite candidate). The interesting part (to me) begins at about 3:30:

http://youtu.be/op0oB8Jsu5A

What interests me most about this is that the discussion here is more of a debate than an interview. Cuomo even closes the interview by saying he looks forward to "continuing this debate." I really wonder if we'll ever see Cuomo approach Hillary Clinton or another Democratic candidate the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'll start with this interview between Chris Cuomo and Marco Rubio (presently my favorite candidate).
    Mr. "I am not a scientist and so I can't make any decision based on science" Rubio?

I figure that from now to election day I should be focusing on who I will give my write-in vote to.

In 2008 it was Bob Gates.

I didn't have to go the write-in route in 2012.

So far, James Stavridis is the front runner in the campaign for my 2016 write-in vote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TnoQBitbNg
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Carly Fiorina unloads on Trump. The Twitter responses are hilarious.

https://twitter.com/CarlyFiorina/sta...60026916716545

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

The Trump Goes On

http://m.weeklystandard.com/blogs/ho...d_1007525.html

--Yeats

He is the GOP's Id personified.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I prefer to think of him as a non-malignant cancerous growth that will be excised soon.

--Yeats

I prefer to think of him as a non-malignant cancerous growth that will be excised soon.
    The GOP has to play nice with him, to make sure he doesn't run as an Independent. If he does it will be all over for the gop in 2016. Maybe they will put a hit on him...

After the last debate he said the Megyn Kelly had "...blood coming out of her eyes, and her whatever". He has obviously spent too many decades believing his own bullshit hype.

Matt Walsh, a very conservative pundit:

"Now, I couldn’t care less about political correctness, but actually, it is a problem that Trump says these things about women. Put aside the fact that Hillary Clinton could hang this around his neck and beat him silly with it. On a more fundamental level, a real man doesn’t talk to women, or to anyone, this way. We have reached a very sad moment in the history of the conservative movement when a desperate, vulgar, juvenile brat can be hailed by the “values voter” constituency as brave and courageous because he calls women fat pigs and tells them to get on their knees. And to label such things merely “politically incorrect” is infuriatingly absurd."

--Yeats

I actually know her and she's sharp as a tack and a good person. I'm not sure she can really gain traction:

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    LOL. Except he used to be a Democrat and is line with Democrats on several key issues including abortion.

If you want to play that game, I would say that Bernie Sanders is the Democratic party personified which is why he is gaining traction in the polls. Nothing like a disheveled, environmental whacko and Marxist to rally the base.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    That is a pretty standard view of Carly from the left side of the spectrum here in California. Michael Hiltzik is also one of the least credible and at least respected pundits in the state. I personally think he is a hack. This is a guy who was caught commenting, under an alias, on his own blog in order to drive up traffic. Full disclosure: my wife and I worked pretty hard on Carly's Senate campaign in 2010, and we like her personally very much. We're not supporting her this time around, however.

--Yeats

After watching as much of the GOP debate as I could, and knowing what the left has right now, I think I am going to vote for The Moose's Whistle as a write-in candidate, with his good buddy Comrade Crimson as Vice President.

--Yeats

George Will supports Trump's excommunication from the conservative movement:

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ative-movement

--Yeats

George Will supports Trump's excommunication from the conservative movement:

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ative-movement

Who does George Will think he is kidding? Maybe he should stick to baseball.

This year’s Republican field is the most impressive since 1980, and perhaps the most talent-rich since the party first had a presidential nominee, in 1856. But 16 candidates are experiencing diminishment by associstion with the 17th.
    Has he taken a serious look at the other 16? Each and every one of them carries a bafflingly idiotic position in at least one area shared with TheDonald, but they simply aren't as outspoken about it.

And the most 'talent rich' since 1856? This statement may be true only on account of the sheer volume of candidates. But when you diffuse all this 'talent' across 17 candidates the average candidate looks more like a Big Sky Conference bench warmer than it does a First Team All-American and Heisman Winner.

So an oxymoron that won't last long? That sort of could be the GOP's ID personified.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    So an oxymoron that won't last long? That sort of could be the GOP's ID personified.
    On second thought, he's malignant.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post

Has he taken a serious look at the other 16? Each and every one of them carries a bafflingly idiotic position in at least one area shared with TheDonald, but they simply aren't as outspoken about it.

And the most 'talent rich' since 1856? This statement may be true only on account of the sheer volume of candidates. But when you diffuse all this 'talent' across 17 candidates the average candidate looks more like a Big Sky Conference bench warmer than it does a First Team All-American and Heisman Winner.
    Lets see, you are mocking the entire GOP field when the best the DNC can muster is Hillary (Erasing Emails For Dummies) Clinton, Marxist Bernie (I bath once a week) Sanders, and soon to be Joe (I am the dumbest VP since Chester Arthur) Biden? The only half decent candidates in the Democratic field are the two no one cares or talks about. That says as much about the left and their supporters as Trump leading the GOP pack does about the far right.

Seriously dude, you need to take a hard look at your own party and candidates before casting any stones. It diminishes your credibility.

Ideology aside, the group other than Trump includes:

Nine current or former governors:

Three former governors of large states who were re-elected twice (Bush, Perry, Pataki)
    Three current governors (Walker, Kasich, Christie) who've never lost an election and have been elected twice (Walker more than that) by large margins in purple states
    Three other successful governors (Jindal, who is OK; Huckabee, who is a snake oil salesman; and Gilmore -- meh.)

Two U.S. Senators with significant accomplishments;

Marco Rubio (my guy)
    Lindsey Graham

You can't write these guys off as dummies. They have good records. Even Huckabee, who I can't stand. It's a good field. The Democrats have Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders, neither of whom have records of achievement like most of the guys above.

The rest (Cruz, Paul, Carson, Santorum, who have no chance. Carly Fiorina, who is a smart and capable person but has not chance).

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    Lets see, you are mocking the entire GOP field when the best the DNC can muster is Hillary (Erasing Emails For Dummies) Clinton, Marxist Bernie (I bath once a week) Sanders, and soon to be Joe (I am the dumbest VP since Chester Arthur) Biden? The only half decent candidates in the Democratic field are the two no one cares or talks about. That says as much about the left and their supporters as Trump leading the GOP pack does about the far right.

Seriously dude, you need to take a hard look at your own party and candidates before casting any stones. It diminishes your credibility.
    I am not a Democrat. I am not a fan of HillDogg in any way, and will almost vote against her because other inevitability. Calling Joe Biden the dumbest VP in history is an understatement, and that would include Dan Quayle and I will even be generous and throw in Sarah Palin.

Bernie Sanders has been on-message for 3+ decades about both parties and the entire system being broken, and that we should have a republican democracy WITHOUT having the political system controlled by wall street and big corporations. But he is also suggesting programs that will be economically impossible to implement ($15 minimum wage, free daycare, free healthcare, etc). It would be nice to have a society more like Canada or the Scandinavian countries, but that won't happen. And frankly, America isn't ready to elect a Jew from Brooklyn.

I actually like the fact that Tump is leading the pack. he demonstrates exactly how the system is broken. My fear is that the Citizen's United ruling will end in blood and tears, and the party I expected to stand up to protect the little guy against big government will be the party that turns the guns on us </hyperbole>

Surely the Republicans can find a better option somewhere.

Ideology aside, the group other than Trump includes:

Nine current or former governors:

Three former governors of large states who were re-elected twice (Bush, Perry, Pataki)
    Three current governors (Walker, Kasich, Christie) who've never lost an election and have been elected twice (Walker more than that) by large margins in purple states
    Three other successful governors (Jindal, who is OK; Huckabee, who is a snake oil salesman; and Gilmore -- meh.)

Two U.S. Senators with significant accomplishments;

Marco Rubio (my guy)
    Lindsey Graham

You can't write these guys off as dummies. They have good records. Even Huckabee, who I can't stand. It's a good field. The Democrats have Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders, neither of whom have records of achievement like most of the guys above.

The rest (Cruz, Paul, Carson, Santorum, who have no chance. Carly Fiorina, who is a smart and capable person but has not chance).
    I was only commenting on those near the top who have a snowballs chance of getting close to the nomination.

Of that entire group, Rubio is probably the standout. But is he even old enough to run? For sure his lack of age will be used against him.

Kasich doesn't seem to want to be there. Christie would need to drop another hundred pounds before he could win a National, because American voters are shallow(.although i think he would be a solid POTUS).

I will thank God every if Cruz truly doesn't get a chance, He terrifies me at his current level of power.

Perry is proof that any village idiot can become a governor, luckily his new glasses add about 55 IQ points to his appearance.

Bush CAN'T win because of his name, but his position on the board at Bloomberg Family Foundation (which partnered with Planned Parenthood to push for less restrictive abortion laws) combined with his 'defund Planned Parenthood' statement, will crush him. Especially since a 'defund Planned Parenthood' statement is effectively defunding Pap Smears. He might as well say, 'I support cervical cancer!'. At least that is what the attack ads will point out.

Sarah Palin looks like a scholar compared to Scott Walker.

Lindsay Graham is too ambiguously gay to win, given all his anti-LGBT rhetoric.

Unfortunately too many ofthe wackos will be pushed to the top during the Hawkeye Cauci and the New Hampshire Primary.

LA, the truth is you are a far more impressive leader than anybody in this field. And don't google 'santorum'.

LA, I think you can break the silence now. You can admit that you were the man in the demon sheep in Carly Fiorina's ad in 2010, weren't you?

I was only commenting on those near the top who have a snowballs chance of getting close to the nomination.

Of that entire group, Rubio is probably the standout. But is he even old enough to run? For sure his lack of age will be used against him.

Kasich doesn't seem to want to be there. Christie would need to drop another hundred pounds before he could win a National, because American voters are shallow(.although i think he would be a solid POTUS).

I will thank God every if Cruz truly doesn't get a chance, He terrifies me at his current level of power.

Perry is proof that any village idiot can become a governor, luckily his new glasses add about 55 IQ points to his appearance.

Bush CAN'T win because of his name, but his position on the board at Bloomberg Family Foundation (which partnered with Planned Parenthood to push for less restrictive abortion laws) combined with his 'defund Planned Parenthood' statement, will crush him. Especially since a 'defund Planned Parenthood' statement is effectively defunding Pap Smears. He might as well say, 'I support cervical cancer!'. At least that is what the attack ads will point out.

Sarah Palin looks like a scholar compared to Scott Walker.

Lindsay Graham is too ambiguously gay to win, given all his anti-LGBT rhetoric.

Unfortunately too many ofthe wackos will be pushed to the top during the Hawkeye Cauci and the New Hampshire Primary.

LA, the truth is you are a far more impressive leader than anybody in this field. And don't google 'santorum'.
    You aren't a Democrat but you think Bernie Sanders has been on message for 3+ decades?!! I get wanting big money out of elections but the Dem's Trial Lawyers groups, corporations, and Unions donate as much to the left as Wall Street or any group does to the righy. Bernie Sanders is only on message if you want a Marxist type of welfare state and government dominated, centesl type of economy.

As for Scandanavia, I have visited my relatives in Norway and they are basically Marxists. The only reason that type of system hasn't crushed Norway's economy is because their population is only about 2 million more than the state of Utah and they have a ton of oil revenue from the North Sea.

I agree with you about Bush but only because of his name. His idea to defund Planned Parenthood is something that should happen, particularly in light of the disgusting behaviorand corruption that has come to light there recently. Your concerns about cervical cancer and PAP smears are just fear tactics. Those can be done at any doctors office or public health clinic and the vast majority of young women are being vaccinated against HPV now anyway.

As for Rubio, I agree he is one of if not the best in the GOP field right now. I have to laugh at your implication that he is too young, though. He is currently older and a much more tenured US Senator than Obama was when he was elected President. Of course, that experiment hasn't exactly turned out that we'll so maybe you are on to something there.

Finally, you are clearly a Democrat or lefty when you feel the need to drag Sarah Palin into a discussion even when it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Neither she nor Quayle were ever VP's and never made Presidential runs so trying to deflect criticism of Biden for the moron he is bease you don't like conservative politicians in general isn't relevant here.
    Last edited by #1 Utefan; 08-14-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    Neither she nor Quayle were ever VP's .
    Pretty sure Dan Quayle was the 44th Vice President of the United States

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Pretty sure Dan Quayle was the 44th Vice President of the United States

You are right. My comments were more geared toward Sarah Palin who somehow always gets brought up in these discussions whether she is relevant or not. Doesn't change the fact Biden is an intellectual lightweight that can make even a guy like Quayle look good.

I said Sanders has been on-message because he hasn't changed his message in over 30 years. He has been saying exactly the same things. I didn't say I support him. I mention him because he is drawing huge crowds and may actually be a serious contender a year from now. And I think his populist message, positions on social justice and equality, and statements about getting big money out of the political peocess will resonate with a lot of people.

And the USA is already a socialist country in many ways, but not in many of the beneficial ways. It is humorous that the word 'marxist', 'liberal', and 'socialist' get used as a pejorative, because they are specific terms that don't mean what the people throwing them actually mean. Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity are likely to blame for this.

Your knee-jerk reactions and ad hominem attacks on me are examples of the reason the system is so broken today. It is nearly impossible to have a critical conversation based on candidates' positions without throwing labels around.

Bernie Sanders has been on-message for 3+ decades about both parties and the entire system being broken, and that we should have a republican democracy WITHOUT having the political system controlled by wall street and big corporations. But he is also suggesting programs that will be economically impossible to implement ($15 minimum wage, free daycare, free healthcare, etc).
    Don't forget free college educations.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

our concerns about cervical cancer and PAP smears are just fear tactics. Those can be done at any doctors office or public health clinic and the vast majority of young women are being vaccinated against HPV now anyway.
    Thanks to health care reform, preventive office visits, screenings, and even many vaccinations are covered at 100% of eligible expenses by most health care plans.