Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith's Revenge: Utah vs. Michigan

Alex Smith's Revenge: Utah vs. Michigan

Time for the individual game threads to get going...

Our beloved Utes hit the national exposure lottery with Jim Harbaugh and the Wolverines coming to town to open the 2015 campaign, and now we need to take advantage of it.

When you look at the 2014 Wolverines, outside of a few outliar type games there was one major theme: They couldn't score. Enter Jim Harbaugh, fresh off of wearing out his welcome with the 49ers, which as we all know included benching our favorite son Alex Smith.

From the looks of it, they will likely be starting Iowa transfer Jake Rudock at QB. In two seasons at Iowa, he's thrown for 4800 yards with 34 TDs and 18 INTs.

It sounds like they have a decent number of guys returning, and Harbaugh's success at Stanford is well known, so I think this will be a tough test. But for game 1 on the road in Sack Lake City, I'll give the Utes an edge to wear the wolverines down.

9 Days baby!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

If Harbaugh is going to mine David Shaw for information on Utah, then I should expect Kyle to mine Alex Smith for information on Harbaugh. I expect a very low-scoring game. I'll be very surprised if both teams get over 20 in regulation.

I heard something about a khaki wearing bus. I thought it was a joke.

Behold: The Harbus.

harbus_roll.jpg

My expectations:

Defensively, Harbaugh will play the Utes pretty straight up at the start. Probably 4-3. He will dare us to run. I say we throw the Booker at him and see if we can move the ball. Make them overcommit to stopping Booker and then see what the passing game can do.

Offensively, I am guessing Harbaugh will stay pro-style, which plays into the strength of our D.

Here's a great piece from Harbaugh's first year with the Niners when he found immediate success with Alex in the pass game. A must-read to get an idea of what we'll see in a few days.

http://grantland.com/features/quarte...g-made-simple/

From re-reading this, my predictions on our game plan are as such: I would expect us not to blitz much at all in this game. Our pass rush with four down lineman should be enough to pressure the Michigan QB. Maybe we peel off a DB once in a while, and we'll play nickel on obvious passing downs. Like any defense, we need to make down-distance favorable to us and avoid 2nd and 6 or less. We'll also need great games from our linebackers, who will be counted on to disrupt passing lanes and be sure tacklers.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Here's a great piece from Harbaugh's first year with the Niners when he found immediate success with Alex in the pass game. A must-read to get an idea of what we'll see in a few days.

http://grantland.com/features/quarte...g-made-simple/

From re-reading this, my predictions on our game plan are as such: I would expect us not to blitz much at all in this game. Our pass rush with four down lineman should be enough to pressure the Michigan QB. Maybe we peel off a DB once in a while, and we'll play nickel on obvious passing downs. Like any defense, we need to make down-distance favorable to us and avoid 2nd and 6 or less. We'll also need great games from our linebackers, who will be counted on to disrupt passing lanes and be sure tacklers.
    And this plays well into our defense that has been established. 40 of the 55 sacks the Utes had last year came on rushes of 4 players or less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking back at last year's game and what stood out.

Our pass rush and Kaelin Clay were the biggest difference. Michigan actually ran the ball well on us, but their numbers suffered because of sacks taken, which I think we can all agree has nothing to do with the run game. Take the sacks away, and Michigan averaged 4.1 YPC to Utah's 3.4.

Utah only had one more sack in the game than Michigan (4-3), but Michigan threw 12 more incomplete passes and three INTs total. Even with a deep threat like Funchess, who hurt us at times (4-82, long of 25), Michigan averaged just 4.9 YPA and 10.6 YPC, to Utah's 7.6 and 11.4. Utah's numbers are not great, and without looking it up, probably below our season averages. Michigan's were horrible, and I attribute that to our front 4/7.

Nothing more needs to be said about Clay, just as nothing more needs to be said about Michigan's offense, which didn't reach the end zone.

Wanna know why Andy Phillips will kick in the NFL while Louie Sakoda couldn't? Sakoda's leg wasn't deemed strong enough to kick off (Ben Vroman did KO duties against Michigan in 2008), but Phillips nailed 5 of 6 KOs for touchbacks at Michigan. That's without the benefit of altitude. He also booted FGs of 50 and 48 yards (Sakoda did have a 53 yarder in 2008). Phillips has the leg to handle both FGs and KOs. If the coaches wanted, Phillips would go the entire season at home without giving up a return, but if his placement is good, I could see him kicking off to the goal line and letting our coverage units try pinning teams back even further.

Kendal Thompson was a borderline disaster in this game. Intentional grounding/sack ended his first drive, his second drive ended with a pick-6. His third drive ended with a FG, but we had 3rd and 6 at the Michigan 13 and he takes a sack. KT did complete long third downs on this drive, one with his arm (3-8, Scott catch for 9) and one with his legs (3-9, rush for 12).

Booker ran 11-34 with a long of 9. Bubba Poole was our best runner this game, going 9-40 and a long of 24. Poole also caught 3-75 and a long of 67. Interestingly enough, Utah's longest two pass plays last year did not go for TDs -- I really shouldn't have to tell you what the longest was.

This would be a pick-em game if played in Ann Arbor. If we can disrupt Michigan's pass game like we did last year, we should win. But this is a loseable game, especially if the offense shows up like it did vs. Wazzu and Arizona last year.

Our pass rush and Kaelin Clay were the biggest difference. Michigan actually ran the ball well on us, but their numbers suffered because of sacks taken, which I think we can all agree has nothing to do with the run game. Take the sacks away, and Michigan averaged 4.1 YPC to Utah's 3.4.

Utah only had one more sack in the game than Michigan (4-3), but Michigan threw 12 more incomplete passes and three INTs total. Even with a deep threat like Funchess, who hurt us at times (4-82, long of 25), Michigan averaged just 4.9 YPA and 10.6 YPC, to Utah's 7.6 and 11.4. Utah's numbers are not great, and without looking it up, probably below our season averages. Michigan's were horrible, and I attribute that to our front 4/7.

Nothing more needs to be said about Clay, just as nothing more needs to be said about Michigan's offense, which didn't reach the end zone.

Wanna know why Andy Phillips will kick in the NFL while Louie Sakoda couldn't? Sakoda's leg wasn't deemed strong enough to kick off (Ben Vroman did KO duties against Michigan in 2008), but Phillips nailed 5 of 6 KOs for touchbacks at Michigan. That's without the benefit of altitude. He also booted FGs of 50 and 48 yards (Sakoda did have a 53 yarder in 2008). Phillips has the leg to handle both FGs and KOs. If the coaches wanted, Phillips would go the entire season at home without giving up a return, but if his placement is good, I could see him kicking off to the goal line and letting our coverage units try pinning teams back even further.

Kendal Thompson was a borderline disaster in this game. Intentional grounding/sack ended his first drive, his second drive ended with a pick-6. His third drive ended with a FG, but we had 3rd and 6 at the Michigan 13 and he takes a sack. KT did complete long third downs on this drive, one with his arm (3-8, Scott catch for 9) and one with his legs (3-9, rush for 12).

Booker ran 11-34 with a long of 9. Bubba Poole was our best runner this game, going 9-40 and a long of 24. Poole also caught 3-75 and a long of 67. Interestingly enough, Utah's longest two pass plays last year did not go for TDs -- I really shouldn't have to tell you what the longest was.

This would be a pick-em game if played in Ann Arbor. If we can disrupt Michigan's pass game like we did last year, we should win. But this is a loseable game, especially if the offense shows up like it did vs. Wazzu and Arizona last year.
    We seem to look sluggish in the opener as well. I'm sure that has something to do with the opponent 9 times out of 10. Hopefully the energy in the stadium will lift our guys up to not come out slow. I can see this being one of those games where we get off to a fast-ish start (21-7 at the half) and then grind it out with a couple of FGs in the second.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I had to go back and watch the highlights, because I thought that was the one where our WR group fell asleep at the wheel and didn't block and it cost us the TD. Nope, that must have been something else.......Booker against OSU maybe? Anyway, if Ken Scott is a half step faster on that Poole catch, that goes for a touchdown.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    We seem to look sluggish in the opener as well. I'm sure that has something to do with the opponent 9 times out of 10. Hopefully the energy in the stadium will lift our guys up to not come out slow. I can see this being one of those games where we get off to a fast-ish start (21-7 at the half) and then grind it out with a couple of FGs in the second.
    This had become Kyle Whittingham's trademarked style.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I had to go back and watch the highlights, because I thought that was the one where our WR group fell asleep at the wheel and didn't block and it cost us the TD. Nope, that must have been something else.......Booker against OSU maybe? Anyway, if Ken Scott is a half step faster on that Poole catch, that goes for a touchdown.
    It was this game. Poole was streaking down the sideline with two receivers there to block, but they were looking at Poole instead of looking to block. A Michigan player came ACROSS the field and past both blockers to knock Poole out. Seriously just getting a hand on him or making him take a half step would have resulted in a TD. Stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    It was this game. Poole was streaking down the sideline with two receivers there to block, but they were looking at Poole instead of looking to block. A Michigan player came ACROSS the field and past both blockers to knock Poole out. Seriously just getting a hand on him or making him take a half step would have resulted in a TD. Stupid.

Al;so, Dres released his block on that guy way too early. He never should have been able to make it across the field. A lesson for every receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I would say our offense has been adequate in openers against FBS teams. Outliers are 2006 UCLA (in which Utah couldn't convert a third down) and 2007 Oregon State (when we lost our starting QB and RB in the first quarter).

2005 Arizona, scored 27, but had a pick-6 from Weddle. Defense fatigued late in this game, a common theme in Kyle's first year

2006-07, already noted

2008: Michigan. Scored 25, most in the first half. Again, Michigan surged late thanks to a turnover and blocked punt in our own end of the field.

2009: Utah State. Scored 35 on 519 yards offense, both numbers being the most ever in FBS opener under Kyle. But with that yardage, you should score more than 33 points (Utah tacked on a safety late). Yes, it was USU, but we were also going up against Gary with a new QB and several new cogs on offense.

2010: Pittsburgh, scored 27, 24 in regulation. 405 yards total offense. Lots of penalties. Scoreless first quarter for both teams.

2013: Utah State, scored 30 with 450 yards total offense. Scored two TDs in first quarter, USU owned the next quarter and a half before we used an onside kick to flip the switch.

So in season-opening wins against FBS teams, we're averaging 28.8 points per game. In losses, just 8.5 PPG. I think we're like a lot of teams in Game 1 or Game 12 -- we have moments where we look good, but as Ma'ake says, the enemy has a vote. Rare is the opener a la 2004 Texas A&M, where everything clicks from the opening snap. That's an unrealistic standard.

Jordan Gross vs "Har-bros" Fox Sports 1 spots

I'm driving the bus.
    No more khakis!

EDIT: I missed on my phone last night that she called the UM coaching staff "Har-bros".
    EDIT: This appears to be a series. Added one that precedes the action.
    Last edited by U-Ute; 08-28-2015 at 11:15 AM.

This is a great idea:

Carter Williams @cwilliamsDN 4m4 minutes ago
    Carter Williams retweeted Michael Rueckert
    This is spectacular. Utah circulating these big heads of Alex Smith, the QB Harbaugh once benched, for Michigan game
    Carter Williams added,

Michael Rueckert @MichaelRueckert@Holli_Alexa @cwilliamsDN It's happening. Photo is him in his Fiesta Bowl Champs hat

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    This is a great idea:

Carter Williams @cwilliamsDN 4m4 minutes ago
    Carter Williams retweeted Michael Rueckert
    This is spectacular. Utah circulating these big heads of Alex Smith, the QB Harbaugh once benched, for Michigan game
    Carter Williams added,
    Thread title now more relevant.

We ought to rename the thread: Utah vs. Harbaugh. No one in the media is talking about the Michigan team. It's all about Jim.

Harbaugh.jpg

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

There was a thread on this on r/cfb. Essentially Alex Smith has Jim Harbaugh to thank for his current $45M contract at KC.

It might be more effective to have a pic of Jim Harbaugh throwing a hissy fit.

Also on that thread: the byu-P beat Michigan in the 1984 Holiday Bowl largely because Jim Harbaugh was injured for the end of the season and didn't play.

It's going to be a long, short week leading up to this game. Then I'm sure it will be a short, long weekend.

Right now, looks like perfect weather is forecast, mostly clear, with highs in the. 80's an low in the 60's. I love the feeling of riding the motorcycle home from a game in a cool breeze after a win.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Some Michigan fans are thinking they'll have 15,000 fans at the game. Bless their little hearts (one also said it's a 'rule' they get 5,000 tickets)

It appears from reading this and other message boards that Ute fans are pretty confident in a win this Thursday. I wish my win confidence was higher, but I give the Utes about a 55% chance of winning. I think the main advantage we have over Michigan is the kicking game and I think we will need it. My guess is that the score at the end of the first half is Utah 9 Michigan 7. Both teams kick field goals in the 3rd quarter and the Utes finally score a TD early in the 4th quarter to go ahead 19-10. Michigan makes another FG to cut the score to 19-13 and is driving towards the end zone with about 2:00 minutes left. Harbaugh chooses to go for it on 4th and 3 at the Utah 30 and the defense holds. The Utes score a late TD when Booker breaks several tackles and goes 50 yards to seal the victory.

Despite the victory, Ute message boards light up with inflammatory posts about everything from the color of the helmets to Travis Wilson's release.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    It appears from reading this and other message boards that Ute fans are pretty confident in a win this Thursday. I wish my win confidence was higher, but I give the Utes about a 55% chance of winning. I think the main advantage we have over Michigan is the kicking game and I think we will need it. My guess is that the score at the end of the first half is Utah 9 Michigan 7. Both teams kick field goals in the 3rd quarter and the Utes finally score a TD early in the 4th quarter to go ahead 19-10. Michigan makes another FG to cut the score to 19-13 and is driving towards the end zone with about 2:00 minutes left. Harbaugh chooses to go for it on 4th and 3 at the Utah 30 and the defense holds. The Utes score a late TD when Booker breaks several tackles and goes 50 yards to seal the victory.

Despite the victory, Ute message boards light up with inflammatory posts about everything from the color of the helmets to Travis Wilson's release.
    It's such an interesting game to start the season with. Given all of the Harbaugh talk, it is almost, almost like the Alabama game in 2008. Obviously, the stakes are not as big...but everyone is talking about our opponent and we have an opportunity on national stage to completely change that narrative. Now, sure, should Michigan win it's all about Harbaugh and what he's done. Should they lose, it's about how much work he has ahead of him. Nevertheless, this is a big chance for our Utes to start the season off with a big win on a national stage that, I think, puts them on a different trajectory heading into Pac 12 play, even if Michigan ends up not being very good.

I use the cliche that we are playing with "house money" frequently. Given that this is a home game on a big stage against a big name coach and a big name program, this does have a bit of a house money feel to me.

I think Booker has a monster day, and our D forces some big turnovers to preserve a win.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm not sure about that. Alex and the Niners were finally coming into their own when Harbaugh arrived. I know the narrative is that he turned them around, but I think a lot of coaches could have succeeded with that Niners team. They were loaded.

On the other hand, if Harbaugh doesn't bench Alex, both Smith and Harbaugh might still be in San Fran wearing rings on their fingers.
    The Niners started 0-5 in 2010 and finished 6-10. In 2011, Alex posted career bests across the board and the Niners made it to the NFC title game. I've yet to hear anyone with a national platform suggest what you're suggesting. Harbaugh has been a raging success at every spot he's been at, across multiple FBS/FCS levels and in the pros.

What we have going for us is it's usually taken him a season in the college game to get everything put together. The flip side to that is Michigan will always be in better shape as a program than Stanford, and that he might not need a year to make some huge waves. Regardless, I think Thursday is too early for Harbaugh's efforts to bear fruit.

I'm feeling better about this game, because quick research on UM fan suggests their improvement this year is relying first and foremost on Harbaugh's presence. Not nearly enough attention paid to the fact our D-line is the best unit on the field, hands down and no point in debating. If that plays out Thursday and we don't have a catastrophic night with turnovers, Utah wins this game. We're too good in special teams and on the offensive line for us not to get in the 20-24 point range needed to win.

....I think a lot of coaches could have succeeded with that Niners team......

I've always felt coaching means everything, but especially at the college level. I'm convinced Urban could take Shawn Bradley plus 21 squirrel monkeys and win a championship within 3 years.

I believe Harbaugh is in that super elite class of coaches. He can do things other simply cannot.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Depth chart for game:
    Three freshmen WRs still on the two deep. No Tim Patrick or Raelon Singleton.
    Wow. Tyrone Smith getting the nod. This will be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I've always felt coaching means everything, but especially at the college level. I'm convinced Urban could take Shawn Bradley plus 21 squirrel monkeys and win a championship within 3 years.

I believe Harbaugh is in that super elite class of coaches. He can do things other simply cannot.
    I think basketball coaches in college have a greater impact than football coaches. As for Urban, as much as I love the guy it does seem to be true that he has never accepted a new job at a program that didn't have a full cupboard of talent. Utah, Florida, Ohio State. When he took the Florida job he turned down Notre Dame because the Irish program was short on talent. (This is just according to what I've heard and read. I haven't studied the talent at each school and really am not qualified to judge it anyway.)

--Yeats

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    Depth chart for game:

Three freshmen WRs still on the two deep. No Tim Patrick or Raelon Singleton.
    Isn't Patrick still injured?

Quote Originally Posted by Damage U View Post
    Isn't Patrick still injured?
    Last I heard he was not 100%.

--Yeats