Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This is NOT the Elders Quorum: fixing the Misperception of Utah By 5

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    But is it accurate?

Which is why I left off "handsome". I'm having a bad hair day.
    Witty. You left that one off too.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Banned
    You two have quite the little circle jerk going on... enjoy yourselves brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    You two have quite the little circle jerk going on... enjoy yourselves brothers.
    I'm sure you're handsome and witty too, DD.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I never thought this site was too churchy, but I definitely got the impression that it was far more 'intellectual' than the other sites I frequented. I consider myself decently well-educated, but I never felt at home here because I almost always felt like an idiot when participating in discussions on here. That's not so much a knock on this place as it is a compliment, but it's just not what I was looking for in my spare time. Sometimes you come to these message boards to read stupid things, and there wasn't enough of that here. I liked the increased level of respect in the Mormon/not Mormon debates as opposed to to hostility you see on UFN, though.

I was never really active on here mostly because the format is so new to me and I'm too lazy to try and get used to it. UFN and CB have ruined me in that I only tolerated the threaded format. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Remember, I was trying to emphasize "accurate" here.

My point is: how can we convey that sense on the front page?

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Ute View Post
    I never thought this site was too churchy, but I definitely got the impression that it was far more 'intellectual' than the other sites I frequented. I consider myself decently well-educated, but I never felt at home here because I almost always felt like an idiot when participating in discussions on here. That's not so much a knock on this place as it is a compliment, but it's just not what I was looking for in my spare time. Sometimes you come to these message boards to read stupid things, and there wasn't enough of that here. I liked the increased level of respect in the Mormon/not Mormon debates as opposed to to hostility you see on UFN, though.

I was never really active on here mostly because the format is so new to me and I'm too lazy to try and get used to it. UFN and CB have ruined me in that I only tolerated the threaded format. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get used to it.
    Dive in! Nobody here is as smart as he or she pretends to be. It's just an act to repel BYU fan visitors. Once you get comfortable with the format you'll love it here -- you'll be able to check out any time, but never leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-23-2015 at 02:42 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I know! Sometimes, I just want a stupid gif as a reply instead of a well thought out argument. I like a lot of things/posters on Utefans, including the humor.

I'm doing my best to dumb things down around here, but it's hard to overcome all these fancy talk lawyers.
    Have you tried putting it in a bag of rice?

...Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Have you tried putting it in a bag of rice?
    exorcism.jpg

Certain concepts must not be allowed to enter here.

--Yeats

Banned
    Remember, I was trying to emphasize "accurate" here.

My point is: how can we convey that sense on the front page?
    You two go ahead and knock yourselves out with your little tea party... I'm good, unless you have some Jameson... and in that case...
    Last edited by Devildog; 09-23-2015 at 06:30 PM.

For some, "intellectual" might equal "stuffy."
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    For some, "intellectual" might equal "stuffy."
    I am still trying to get my mind wrapped around the idea that this place offers some noticeable level of intellectual content.

--Yeats

I am still trying to get my mind wrapped around the idea that this place offers some noticeable level of intellectual content.

With the amount of esquire's here it truly is shocking

You know it's been an interesting week with people starting to call Chris out on Utefans and the creation of Utehub, it certainly makes you take stock of what you've got here and where you're headed.

I think Virginia Ute hit the nail on the head on this being more of an intellectual site. Off the top of my head I think of LA (a lawyer) and USSUtah (a WWII history guru), now I know there are morons as well, (count me in that mix I'm crazy enough to be a middle school math teacher) but at least my perception of the people here are more well rounded and intellectual. I for one enjoy the religious talk on this board compared to others because here for the most part it's civil and the talk doesn't turn into bashing and name calling. There's a level of respect for the other posters which I don't think is on the other board.

When you think of something being intellectual, sports isn't something that accompanies the word intellectual. Maybe that is why others feel this board is too religious or what not. On the other boards you get a lot of sports/rival talk (too much rival talk as of late) and a little of religious topics sprinkled in there, where this site I think the ratio isn't as skewed. There may be just as much sports talk as the other site, but there is more religious/non sports talk as well, making it seem more churchy. In the end sports is nice but not the end all be all, and people have other interests.

I think there is a place for all of the sites, they all serve a different purpose. I do feel like Utefans has fallen off the last couple of years and is a shell of it's former self. Depending on my mood is where I go for my Ute fill for the day. If I'm acting like my students I head over to Utefans, and if I feel more adult I'll come here. Ute Hub (so far, it's only a couple days old for crying out loud) seems like somewhere in the middle of the two, and more like what Utefans was during it's prime.

All this of course is from a lurker more than a contributor, so please take with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Slim; 09-23-2015 at 09:05 PM.

We aren't quite to your level of sophistication yet. I am just getting used to using full words for phrases like "are you" instead of just the letters "r" and "u".

If it helps I can use some of my 8th grade Latin to class it up: Semper Ubi Sub Ubi.

Loosely translated: "Always where under where".

Sorry. But it's the best I got.

You two go ahead and knock yourselves out with your little tea party... I'm good, unless you have some Jameson... and in that case...
    I'm waiting for the mild barley drinks to join in.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Sometimes you come to these message boards to read stupid things, and there wasn't enough of that here.
    You are clearly not a student of my posts.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    I like this board for the same reasons Virginia Ute and Slim state. I enjoy the mutual respect that is here. I like that subjects are split up so if you don't want the churchy stuff you can pass on it and find something else to light your fancy.
    Since I work in the medical field and work the weekend shift, I like the Elders Quorum sections of the board. It makes me miss and glad I'm not there on Sunday's. Just like being there for real.
    "We're pretty damn good," -- Coach John Pease

Banned
    So what is our identity?

I feel it is smart, knowledgeable posters that love the Utes but can also discuss other topics with an open mind.
    The boards identity really is mostly a bunch of Mormon University of Utah sports fans. Some of you are very well educated...

But damn near most of you are dorks. It goes hand in hand with the whole Mormon thing (embrace it).... just don't dork the place up so much it becomes like Cougarboard. That place is Comic con come to real life. I'm sure Darth Vader and the Ewoks are posting there right now.

When home teaching assignments are made, I'll take Devildog if I can also have Damage Ute and someone who has a boat.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    When home teaching assignments are made, I'll take Devildog if I can also have Damage Ute and someone who has a boat.
    Sorry I only supply beer and a fully stocked bar

--Yeats

The boards identity really is mostly a bunch of Mormon University of Utah sports fans. Some of you are very well educated...
    I resemble only half of that. I'll leave it as a mystery as to which half.

Dorks.jpg

The real problem is that there are too many lawyer types.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    I think Virginia Ute hit the nail on the head on this being more of an intellectual site. Off the top of my head I think of LA (a lawyer) and USSUtah (a WWII history guru),
    Which is crazy, I mean, I never even graduated from college.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    I think Virginia Ute hit the nail on the head on this being more of an intellectual site. Off the top of my head I think of LA (a lawyer) and USSUtah (a WWII history guru), now I know there are morons as well, (count me in that mix I'm crazy enough to be a middle school math teacher) but at least my perception of the people here are more well rounded and intellectual.
    On this board I'm a goofy Utes fans 1st, a lawyer 5th.

--Yeats

This is NOT the Elders Quorum fixing the Misperception of Utah By 5

Hmm, not sure. I use Google Chrome at work and view the WH forums all the time with no problem. Wonder if others are having issues with it?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeSer View Post
    Hmm, not sure. I use Google Chrome at work and view the WH forums all the time with no problem. Wonder if others are having issues with it?
    I appreciate the attention to our religion forums. Bring back the EQ rep!

So I came back to this discussion because the site basically navigates the same and the religion/politics discussion still occupies the center stage. I know this core of users likes the community here and doesn't want a utefanificatuon of the board, but with a better layout I think this site could be much more inclusive without losing its identity. I made a lot of recommendations above for how to enable this kind of inclusivity, and now I've sort of gone a step further to basically mock up what Utahby5 could be. I'm sort of willing to step on toes a little bit if it means broadening the reach of this community. So here's what I built. Can we work something out and get this user base paired with a layout that might allow some room for growth?

If not, I'm ready for suggestions of where to shove it

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    So I came back to this discussion because the site basically navigates the same and the religion/politics discussion still occupies the center stage. I know this core of users likes the community here and doesn't want a utefanificatuon of the board, but with a better layout I think this site could be much more inclusive without losing its identity. I made a lot of recommendations above for how to enable this kind of inclusivity, and now I've sort of gone a step further to basically mock up what Utahby5 could be. I'm sort of willing to step on toes a little bit if it means broadening the reach of this community. So here's what I built. Can we work something out and get this user base paired with a layout that might allow some room for growth?

If not, I'm ready for suggestions of where to shove it
    I'm not the expert, but I don't think that VBulletin allows that level of customization.

Are you only navigating the site using the What's New or Activity Stream screen? It will show the most recent activity by post at the top, regardless of the category or thread it was posted in. I always click on the New Post link in the top menu, and it takes me to a page where I can see a list of threads with activity since I last reviewed them. That way, I can pick and choose which topics/threads I want to waste spend time looking at, and ignore the other threads (e.g anything to do with baseball and hockey). That way, I have only myself to blame if I end up spending wasting time reading posts in a thread I don't want to read.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.