Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: This is NOT the Elders Quorum: fixing the Misperception of Utah By 5

This is NOT the Elders Quorum: fixing the Misperception of Utah By 5

A couple of weeks ago, Devildog compared this site to an elder's quorum. Well, he isn't alone in viewing UB5 that way.

There is currently a discussion at UF.N regarding options for places to if the board is unable to continue, or if the boards does not make some needed changes. The mention of UB5 as option led to a few responses, including some comparing this site to an elder's quorum. There were some other issues as well. One poster's login to UB5 stopped working, he tried twice to communicate with the board administrators, but never heard back. Another poster had a login problem, emailed the administrators and never heard back. Another poster was dismayed by powder blue styling to the sites mobile theme.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Regarding to the powder blue theme, I believe that is the Vbulletin default. If you choose the UtahBy5 theme In the drop down at the bottom, it changes to a red theme.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 09-19-2015 at 10:56 AM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Can't we change the color of the mobile? I use Tapatalk so I never looked at the mobile site until today.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Can't we change the color of the mobile? I use Tapatalk so I never looked at the mobile site until today.
    Interesting some of the posters there compare this sight to Elders Quorum when half the time I go there I see anti-Mormon threads and incessant criticism of the LDS Church. My impression is that at least some of the people that post here left UFN because they grew tired of all the crap and idiots that frequent that board.

Maybe the mods here would welcome the increased traffic but if the UFN self annointend board elite crowd were to migrate here, I think I'd probably spend all my time on Utezone.
    Last edited by #1 Utefan; 09-19-2015 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    Interesting some of the posters there compare this sight to Elders Quorum when half the time I go there I see anti-Mormon threads and incessant criticism of the LDS Church. My impression is that at least some of the people that post here left UFN because they grew tired of all the crap and idiots that frequent that board.

Maybe the mods here would welcome the increased traffic but if the UFN self annointend board elite crowd were to migrate here, I think I'd probably spend all my time on Utezone.
    Yeah...I think that's funny too. It was referred to on utezone as Utah by 5 ALUFs, which, again, okay. I actually think what is nice about this forum is that you can completely ignore posts and categories that you don't want to.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I'd like to have more posters like the ones we already have. Quality over quantity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

This place seem more like a high priests group to me, where you can't hope to teach us anything, only to entertain us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rocker Ute; 01-17-2017 at 01:03 PM.

One more comment from a poster at UF.N regarding UB5. The long threads that last months and even years are not very inviting to new members. Some folks, at least, are not going to want to read through page after page of long threads, and they might view it as difficult to jump into the discussion on the last page. It might be a good idea to retire threads after a while just to keep things fresh and inviting for newcomers.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    One more comment from a poster at UF.N regarding UB5. The long threads that last months and even years are not very inviting to new members. Some folks, at least, are not going to want to read through page after page of long threads, and they might view it as difficult to jump into the discussion on the last page. It might be a good idea to retire threads after a while just to keep things fresh and inviting for newcomers.

An interesting idea. We could certainly do that with threads that are out of date, like the 2013 season thread, etc.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Also a primer for new members could be useful -- If there isn't one already (if there is, maybe make it easier to find) -- a post with tips on how to navigate the site, etc.

I don't get this. When a thread becomes inactive, active threads overtake it and it naturally drops to the back of the list. It would only come back to the beginning if someone posted in it (aka "bumps" it) again.

Also a primer for new members could be useful -- If there isn't one already (if there is, maybe make it easier to find) -- a post with tips on how to navigate the site, etc.
    Someone suggested putting the New Posts as the default page when visiting. I agree with this, New Posts is the first thing I click when I come here. It's easy to ignore threads you aren't interested that way. I think new users would find that the most helpful tip, instead of starting with the What's New/Activity Stream.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

This. That's the pot calling the kettle black right there. The EQ comparison is short-sighted and ill-informed, unless you expect this board to be the chaotic free-for-all that UF.net has devolved into.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I don't get this. When a thread becomes inactive, active threads overtake it and it naturally drops to the back of the list. It would only come back to the beginning if someone posted in it (aka "bumps" it) again.
    That's not the issue. The issue is long active threads that never end. It may be a good idea to retire active threads after a while, even if they are still active.

Another idea: list the newest posts in each thread first so that the two year old posts are at the end and you don't have to plow through them

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Another idea: list the newest posts in each thread first so that the two year old posts are at the end and you don't have to plow through them
    That's an individual setting, I believe. Each user can set it up either way. I have the latest posts first.

One challenge (minor, I think) with vBulletin is that it takes a little time to learn the finer points of navigating it. UF.net is pretty simple, and so the transition isn't slick.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    That's an individual setting, I believe. Each user can set it up either way. I have the latest posts first.

One challenge (minor, I think) with vBulletin is that it takes a little time to learn the finer points of navigating it. UF.net is pretty simple, and so the transition isn't slick.
    now I know. Fixed it.

I can honestly say I have never visited UteFans.net in my life. Heard way too many bad things about it.

I enjoy the discussion here. While there is a lot of back and forth, I can't remember a time where I felt like I was on a traditional message board. No obnoxious trolls (though some might argue thats what I am).

Hopefully, we can get some new solid folks coming over here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I can honestly say I have never visited UteFans.net in my life. Heard way too many bad things about it.

I enjoy the discussion here. While there is a lot of back and forth, I can't remember a time where I felt like I was on a traditional message board. No obnoxious trolls (though some might argue thats what I am).

Hopefully, we can get some new solid folks coming over here soon.
    I think the hunger for Utefan discontents is short sighted. I don't post there, but I have browsed and I can't stand the bipolar nature of that sight--Utah is either national championship material or fire KWhitt. I think attracting their posters, en masse, is a sure way to torpedo this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I think the hunger for Utefan discontents is short sighted. I don't post there, but I have browsed and I can't stand the bipolar nature of that sight--Utah is either national championship material or fire KWhitt. I think attracting their posters, en masse, is a sure way to torpedo this site.
    Spot-on. I'd like to pick a few off, however. Mighty Alaskan Ute, UtahFanSir, ColoUte (who probably doesn't post there anymore -- UBlender, get on this!), Big Kahuna, HoopUte, San Diego Ute Fan, to name some. I'd love to get runnutz here, VegasUte, maybe heartless ute. Those last three are pretty devoted to UteZone.

--Yeats

There are a lot of threads on this board that are started as THE 2015 recruiting thread, or THE 2015 football season thread, or THE PAC12 whatever thread. Starting off with definitive threads on the most popular topics basically means committing to having one thread bumped perpetually for a year. I think these definitive threads give this site a very static/stagnant feel.

Someone suggested putting the New Posts as the default page when visiting. I agree with this, New Posts is the first thing I click when I come here. It's easy to ignore threads you aren't interested that way. I think new users would find that the most helpful tip, instead of starting with the What's New/Activity Stream.
    The Utehub site has started with the same default of making the activity thread the most prominent interface for the message board. It may not hurt the site now as it launched during football season, so football posts will own the activity thread, but in off season, when off topic posts and arguments prevail, that will lead to the same issues that earned all5ALUFS.com its reputation. Whichever site (UB5 or Utehub) that can move away from the activity stream default by off season may have a leg up with respect to acquiring/retaining new users who won't invest the time to learn ways to circumvent the defaults.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    There are a lot of threads on this board that are started as THE 2015 recruiting thread, or THE 2015 football season thread, or THE PAC12 whatever thread. Starting off with definitive threads on the most popular topics basically means committing to having one thread bumped perpetually for a year. I think these definitive threads give this site a very static/stagnant feel.
    Hmmm. Hadn't thought of that. What does everyone else think?

The Utehub site has started with the same default of making the activity thread the most prominent interface for the message board. It may not hurt the site now as it launched during football season, so football posts will own the activity thread, but in off season, when off topic posts and arguments prevail, that will lead to the same issues that earned all5ALUFS.com its reputation. Whichever site (UB5 or Utehub) that can move away from the activity stream default by off season may have a leg up with respect to acquiring/retaining new users who won't invest the time to learn ways to circumvent the defaults.
    That button has been moved so that new posts is in the upper left -- is that a big enoughh change? "What's new?" is stil the first item in the upper left. Do you think that is a problem?

--Yeats

Im curious, but in the 2.5ish years of this site, has anyone outside of a number of moose whistle aliases been banned?

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Im curious, but in the 2.5ish years of this site, has anyone outside of a number of moose whistle aliases been banned?
    Nope. Interesting question. I like to think we don't attract people who are likely to be banned.

(Uh-oh. Have I jinxed us?)

--Yeats

Well to be fair there were about 3 dozen moistknuckles sock puppets, followed by him grabbing the '@utahby5.com' twitter handle and spamming the world with his funky niche pr0n. That was enough banning fun right there to last for ages.

I really like the "official" threads. It keeps things tidy and has all the go to info in it. It also makes it easy to finds threads when you are looking for them. I don't think we need to be pedantic about it like some posters are wont to be, but I like trying to keep "official" threads going where we can. Just my two cents.

That button has been moved so that new posts is in the upper left -- is that a big enoughh change? "What's new?" is stil the first item in the upper left. Do you think that is a problem?
    I think it's still problematic because the "What's New" tab is still a link to the activity stream. I think new users just click "What's New", are directed to the activity stream, and that is the sum total of their navigating experience. I think it would be better if it functioned like the "quick links" drop down (illustrated below).

UB5.jpg

PS: I never donated to this site because I never noticed the donate tab. I think that people who design sites overestimate how much casual users actually pay attention to the layout especially when it is overwrought or overly complex. I think new users rapidly encounter the paralyzing problem of too many choices. Users enjoy an experience more when they are presented with fewer choices and don't feel like they're missing out on something because they don't have the time to fully explore a complicated layout with lots of options. For all the problems utefans has, I think it very successfully avoids this issue.
    Last edited by jrj84105; 09-21-2015 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I just tried to get my brother on again. He was redirected to the adult site again.
    At work, if I just goggle Utahby5 and then click on the first link, my company blocks it, but if i goggle utahby5.com then click on the first link, it goes directly here. Has your brother tried to type in the direct https://www.utahby5.com address?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I just tried to get my brother on again. He was redirected to the adult site again.
    We are working on that.

New registrations are broken now anyway.

U-Ute

Spot-on. I'd like to pick a few off, however. Mighty Alaskan Ute, UtahFanSir, ColoUte (who probably doesn't post there anymore -- UBlender, get on this!), Big Kahuna, HoopUte, San Diego Ute Fan, to name some. I'd love to get runnutz here, VegasUte, maybe heartless ute. Those last three are pretty devoted to UteZone.
    I've been trying. Last time he brought it up, his response was basically the same as the origin of this thread--it's too much church talk and not enough sports. Still, I wish he'd find this place a sanctuary from all the online madness.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    I think it's still problematic because the "What's New" tab is still a link to the activity stream. I think new users just click "What's New", are directed to the activity stream, and that is the sum total of their navigating experience. I think it would be better if it functioned like the "quick links" drop down (illustrated below).
    I think U-Ute, our new volunteer webmaster, has this idea in his sights.

PS: I never donated to this site because I never noticed the donate tab. I think that people who design sites overestimate how much casual users actually pay attention to the layout especially when it is overwrought or overly complex. I think new users rapidly encounter the paralyzing problem of too many choices. Users enjoy an experience more when they are presented with fewer choices and don't feel like they're missing out on something because they don't have the time to fully explore a complicated layout with lots of options. For all the problems utefans has, I think it very successfully avoids this issue.
    We haven't really pushed donations and have just gotten by with various folks chipping in. This place is sort of a labor of love. Maybe we can come up with a way to simplify along the lines you suggest. What does everyone else think?

--Yeats