Thread: Has anyone tried barefoot running?

Has anyone tried barefoot running?

I looked at the books thread and saw a couple posts about Born to Run. I thought it was a really interesting book and really liked it. I decided to put it to the test and run barefoot this summer

First off, you have to start slow! I just went running a couple miles in bare feet along the sidewalk. This killed me. I understand what he's saying when he says the nerves in your feet are linked to your genitals in terms of sensitivity. I quickly changed my approach.

I decided to run in shoes and socks to a park close to me, then go barefoot and run ladders for a few miles on the soccer field, then lace back up and run home. I probably did this 10-15 times over the summer and while I can't report that everything he said would come true did, I didn't get hurt, which is a major point of emphasis in the book. Interestingly, as soon as I decided to go on a run up a big hill near my house on the pavement, I couldn't finish due to pain and I couldn't run for a few weeks after that, and never got back into my running routine this summer.

I never tried the vibrum shoes. Does anyone have any experience with those?

I'm old school. To me shoes are the most important equipment I buy for workouts (I'm an aerobic walker, haven't run since my early 30s due to joint issues). It worth spending a little extra money to get good shoes.

Running barefoot is a concept I don't know much about. When it was working for you did you find it better?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by SavaUte View Post
    I looked at the books thread and saw a couple posts about Born to Run. I thought it was a really interesting book and really liked it. I decided to put it to the test and run barefoot this summer

First off, you have to start slow! I just went running a couple miles in bare feet along the sidewalk. This killed me. I understand what he's saying when he says the nerves in your feet are linked to your genitals in terms of sensitivity. I quickly changed my approach.

I decided to run in shoes and socks to a park close to me, then go barefoot and run ladders for a few miles on the soccer field, then lace back up and run home. I probably did this 10-15 times over the summer and while I can't report that everything he said would come true did, I didn't get hurt, which is a major point of emphasis in the book. Interestingly, as soon as I decided to go on a run up a big hill near my house on the pavement, I couldn't finish due to pain and I couldn't run for a few weeks after that, and never got back into my running routine this summer.

I never tried the vibrum shoes. Does anyone have any experience with those?
    I have flat feet, so I am really hesitant to try. I tend to pull calf muscles very easily, and can't get my mileage above 6 miles per run without getting hurt somehow.

My brother has tried it a bit. He mostly does it on a track. He also uses minimalist shoes, Saucony Viratta. Not quite to the Vibram level. He suffers more from ITBS, and hasn't been able to up his mileage much as a result.

I can't say that the injury issues we have are due to shoe choices. I have been tempted to start doing a few hundred yards of barefoot running to try and strengthen my feet, ankles, and lower legs, but am a bit scared to do so. Sorry I'm not much help. It is a topic I am interested in hearing more about though.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 09-22-2015 at 01:18 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Speaking to the benefits, I wasn't getting hurt while running barefoot, which is hard to measure because maybe I wouldn't have during that time, but who knows. It was a nice experience running on grass barefoot, and you can tell it is working muscles that don't get much work because your foot is really sore (muscle sore, like after lifting) for the first few times.

I can't say "yes, do it, it was magical for me", but I will say it worked well enough I am going to keep going with it once running season starts again next spring.