Thread: Country Roads

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 3UteDad View Post
    Devildog, you have convinced me to add southwestern Colorado to my list (I think I'll be skipping the Black Bear switchbacks). How many days would you suggest allowing for travel from SLC, and what's the best time of year for the trip?
    I keep imagining getting to the top of those switchbacks and celebrating only to realize that you have to now go down them. Talk about coming back down to earth.

Springerville to Clifton, AZ

It takes a bit of doing to get to ride this stretch of road. My dad and I took our motorcycles down to the Arizona State game last year, and took the opportunity to go out of our way to take this road. I had heard good things about if from other motorcyclist. Unfortunately, it was the highlight of the trip, since the team decided figuratively not to show up for the game.

As you head south out of Springerville, you start heading up into the mountains. I did not know that southeastern Arizona had such great pine forests. The road goes through a small village called Alpine, and then there is nothing but the mountain, forest, and road.

The road twists lazily at first. For a few miles I was worried that this was all there was, and started to wonder what the fuss was. The curves were labeled by road signs as 35 to 45 MPH, which on a sporty motorcycle are taken about 20 MPH higher.

About 10 miles in, a new sign arrived. 25 PM Curves Next 10 Miles. And sure enough, the curves got tighter, and there were no more signs to tell you how to guage your entry speed.

5-10 miles later, another sign, 15 MPH Curves next 10 Miles. We are having to slow down a lot in the corners now, downshifting to 2nd. Lost of accelerating and breaking, which is a lot of work, and a lot of fun.

After another 10 miles or so, another sign, 10 MPH Curves Next 20 Miles. We have crossed over the mountain range, and are now traversing our way down the backside, winding in and out of side canyons which is where the sharpest curves are. At 10 miles an hour, it feels like you are about to stop. First gear is a given, and it’s a lot more work mentally to coordinate the break, lean, and acceleration.

As we get towards the end, we are coming out of the pine trees and to a lower elevation, but still with a lot of curves. I notice my front and back tire seem to be slipping a bit in the corners, which is disconcerting. We stop for a rest and view, and I check my tires to see if they are under-inflated, but they aren’t. I start to notice dust coming from our tires, which seem strange because it feels like we are in a remote place. Finally as we got to the bottom, it is very apparent that we are traversing a very large mining operation. The Morenci mine is apparently one of the larges open pit mines in the world, bigger than Bingham. There is dust everywhere. The road winds through the operations area of the mine.

It was fun exploring this road, and having to adapt our riding to new conditions. However, I think I will enjoy the road more the next time I ride it, whenever that may be.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 03-02-2013 at 07:16 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Flying out to Knoxville, TN in a couple of weeks to buy and ride back a 2009 BMW R1200RT. I have been searching the country for a used one, and this seems to be the best out there. It has less than 2000 miles on it, and has all the options I want. It a little more than I wanted to spend, but nothing great came up in my price range (I was looking for a 2007 with low-ish miles).

There won't be many country roads riding it back. But we have rides planned this year for the Oregon Coast and Canadian Rockies that this bike will be perfect for.

I'll be selling my Yamaha V-Star that I have had for 12 years and 50,000 miles to make room for the new bike.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Flying out to Knoxville, TN in a couple of weeks to buy and ride back a 2009 BMW R1200RT. I have been searching the country for a used one, and this seems to be the best out there. It has less than 2000 miles on it, and has all the options I want. It a little more than I wanted to spend, but nothing great came up in my price range (I was looking for a 2007 with low-ish miles).

There won't be many country roads riding it back. But we have rides planned this year for the Oregon Coast and Canadian Rockies that this bike will be perfect for.

I'll be selling my Yamaha V-Star that I have had for 12 years and 50,000 miles to make room for the new bike.
    Congrats on finding the bike you want. I hope you have great luck with it.

I finally got my bike into the shop for new tires today. This weather has me thinking about riding all day while I'm stuck at work.

Utah SR 12 from Torrey to Panguitch is an 122 mile incredible drive. The Hogback between Boulder and Escalante is probably my favorite stretch of road. Ever. The photo is a view of the road from the air:

It's a great drive, but if you want to have a lot of fun, get a 4WD vehicle so you can take SR 12 from Boulder to Escalante, then go back to Boulder via Hell's Backbone road. That'll get your blood pumpin'.

This video is SR 12 from Bryce Canyon to Boulder. It's worth the 15 minutes it takes to watch.

"Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    Utah SR 12 from Torrey to Panguitch is an 122 mile incredible drive. The Hogback between Boulder and Escalante is probably my favorite stretch of road. Ever. The photo is a view of the road from the air:

It's a great drive, but if you want to have a lot of fun, get a 4WD vehicle so you can take SR 12 from Boulder to Escalante, then go back to Boulder via Hell's Backbone road. That'll get your blood pumping.
    Below is a pic of my brother near the overlook just outside of Escalante.

Also, if you are in the area, a hike to Lower Calf Creek Falls is a must.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 05-05-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Great photo of your brother. And agreed about the lower falls. Easy access and worth the little bit of time it takes to get to them. I'd also suggest seeing the upper falls, It's a shorter hike, but more difficult.

"Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

My wife's family had property on the north end of Boulder, and we'd go down there several times a year. Burr Trail, Hogs Back, and Lower Calf Creek falls were my favorites. Check out Hell's Backbone trail as well..

Thanks for the pictures. They bring back lots of memories...

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post

It's a great drive, but if you want to have a lot of fun, get a 4WD vehicle so you can take SR 12 from Boulder to Escalante, then go back to Boulder via Hell's Backbone road. That'll get your blood pumpin'.

This video is SR 12 from Bryce Canyon to Boulder. It's worth the 15 minutes it takes to watch.

I once drove that in a 37' motorhome.

We are on a motorcycle trip, and spent yesterday traveling from Cody, Wy to Great Falls, Mt. Neither city is a destination, but two roads between the two are.

WY HWY 296- Cheif Joseph Highway. Amazing vistas and curvy road.
    image.jpg

HWY 212 from WY to Red Lodge, MT. Pictures and words can't do this road justice. The top of the pass is just shy of 11,000 feet in elevation.
    image.jpg

Next up, Waterton Park in Canada, on the way to Banff, Lake Louis, and possibly Jasper, dodging thunderstorms along the way.