Thread: I think I'm done with football

I think I'm done with football

I'm struggling to come to terms with moral ramifications of the violence of football:

The following FRONTLINE story is gut wrenching:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...gue-of-denial/

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I'm struggling to come to terms with moral ramifications of the violence of football:

I must admit that now and then I watch football and try to imagine how it would look to a visitor from another planet, with so many people paying so much attention to such a game. I have a fleeting moment of discomfort and cognitive dissonance, then I go back to watching and enjoying it.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-06-2015 at 02:40 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Boxing didn't lose attention because of injuries to boxers. It happened because of corruption and cheating (dives). People hate cheaters.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Oh Jeez... Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Malcom Gladwell looks like he would suck really bad at football. Haters hate.

I'd like to think the worst of the brain injury issue is behind us, as the previous generation of players had basically no concussion protocol to protect them.

When we automatically medically retire kids like Reshawn Hooker for having three concussions inside a year, it seems to me this generation of players will have much improved results, over the years.

They need to baseline every player with a fMRI, and if that player degrades in subsequent scans, they need to hang up the cleats. The medical evidence will make decisions obvious, at individual and aggregate levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    I'd like to think the worst of the brain injury issue is behind us, as the previous generation of players had basically no concussion protocol to protect them.

When we automatically medically retire kids like Reshawn Hooker for having three concussions inside a year, it seems to me this generation of players will have much improved results, over the years.

They need to baseline every player with a fMRI, and if that player degrades in subsequent scans, they need to hang up the cleats. The medical evidence will make decisions obvious, at individual and aggregate levels.
    My 8 year old had baseline testing. Every kid who plays pop warner does. They take all that v serious. It has changed from when I was kid

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Keep your chin up, Toolblue. Their will be better years for your Cougars.

Is Canada broadcasting any Ute games this year?