Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The 2016 Foster Farms Bowl

The 2016 Foster Farms Bowl

Time to get this one started. What do we know about Indiana?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Their coach got fired and they have an interim coach. This will be the third year in a row where Utah is playing a team in a bowl game where their coaching staff is in flux.

That pretty much sums it up.

As always, one great thing about bowl games is that they give the team and the coaches several extra weeks of practice, and in effect to get an extra few weeks of spring ball in. Maybe Kyle and the assistant coaches (to whom he does not listen at all, according to SU) can work on some things in the offense. Red zone efficiency comes to mind, for example.

Last edited by LA Ute; 12-05-2016 at 09:55 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Most of their games they won close (save FIU 34-13):

Ball St - 10
    MSU - 3
    Maryland - 6
    Rutgers - 6
    Purdue - 2

Their QB has thrown for 3100 yards and has 18 TDs and 16 Ints.

They've got a WR that has 915 Yards and 5 TDs

I expect Kyle to be 10-1 in Bowl games coming out of the FF Bowl.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I expect Kyle to be 10-1 in Bowl games coming out of the FF Bowl.
    Preach it, Brother DnF!

Gus Johnson calling the game...expect to hear a lot of JOE WILLIAMS....THE RETIREE IN TO THE ENDZONE FOR 6!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Gus Johnson calling the game...expect to hear a lot of JOE WILLIAMS....THE RETIREE IN TO THE ENDZONE FOR 6!
    I'm pretty excited about the bowl game. I like playing Big 10 teams. It makes me nostalgic for the annual Pac-12/Big10 challenge that almost happened. Sure glad we got to see USC play Notre Dame this year instead of having that amazing scheduling arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm pretty excited about the bowl game. I like playing Big 10 teams. It makes me nostalgic for the annual Pac-12/Big10 challenge that almost happened. Sure glad we got to see USC play Notre Dame this year instead of having that amazing scheduling arrangement.
    How can you be nostalgic for something that never happened? Wistful, maybe.

"The speed of Utah is the difference in this ball game." - @YogiRoth

https://twitter.com/Pac12Network/sta...245696/video/1

--Yeats

Team hotel is Grand Hyatt in San Francisco. From $289/night, and parking is only $68/night!!
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

This is a link to a one-hour recording of the PSU @ Indiana game. Ind had them 24-14 with a minute or so left in the 3rd. They self destructed, gave up 24 in the 4th, and lost 45-31. They're good. Their freshman CB got torched bad.

Penn St @ Indiana

"It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so"
    - Will Rogers

"Cyberspace is - or can be - a good, friendly and egalitarian place to meet. "

- Douglas Adams

The keys to this game are the same as the keys to every game this season:

1) Big plays. Our offensive success, when it has come, comes on big plays. It's a gambler's offense. We'll go long on 1st and 10 multiple times in this game. The big plays from Joe are a bonus that we relied on a lot in the middle of the season.

2) Interceptions. We got these when we won. We didn't get these in games we lost.

3) Convert on 3rd/4th and 1. We came up short on key short yardage situations against Cal, Oregon, and CU. We converted those in our wins (in particular against USC).

4) Red zone. Goes without saying.

The keys to this game are the same as the keys to every game this season:

1) Big plays. Our offensive success, when it has come, comes on big plays. It's a gambler's offense. We'll go long on 1st and 10 multiple times in this game. The big plays from Joe are a bonus that we relied on a lot in the middle of the season.

2) Interceptions. We got these when we won. We didn't get these in games we lost.

3) Convert on 3rd/4th and 1. We came up short on key short yardage situations against Cal, Oregon, and CU. We converted those in our wins (in particular against USC).

4) Red zone. Goes without saying.
    Hard to disagree with any of those points. Add ball security and you have a complete list.

In your experience, is the Utah tailgate party prior to the game worthwhile or not? $40 p/p for this bowl.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    In your experience, is the Utah tailgate party prior to the game worthwhile or not? $40 p/p for this bowl.
    I've never been to one of the tailgate parties, but I feel like San Fransisco can offer some pretty good things to do and some far superior food. I think I'd try to take advantage of that.

I've never been to one of the tailgate parties, but I feel like San Fransisco can offer some pretty good things to do and some far superior food. I think I'd try to take advantage of that.
    The last one we went to was the Fiesta Bowl in 2005. It was so disappointing, we haven't tried another since. I hope they have improved them in the past 12 years. But I agree with Sancho, if you want to spend $40 on a pregame meal, there are better places in the Bay Area. If you are looking for Ute-themed festivities along with mediocre food, and not have to travel an hour after eating to get to the game, it might be worth it.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

.....I feel like San Fransisco can offer some pretty good things to do and some far superior food. I think I'd try to take advantage of that.
    I've done enough SF for awhile, so am gonna venture towards Santa Cruz/Monterey, but, your point still stands.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    ...... if you want to spend $40 on a pregame meal, there are better places in the Bay Area. If you are looking for Ute-themed festivities along with mediocre food, and not have to travel an hour after eating to get to the game, it might be worth it.
    I'm mark put you down as negatory.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    The last one we went to was the Fiesta Bowl in 2005. It was so disappointing, we haven't tried another since. I hope they have improved them in the past 12 years. But I agree with Sancho, if you want to spend $40 on a pregame meal, there are better places in the Bay Area. If you are looking for Ute-themed festivities along with mediocre food, and not have to travel an hour after eating to get to the game, it might be worth it.
    Not only did it suck,we travelled halfway across Maricopa County to get there, it was so out of the way from Tempe.

Domo claiming that he's not playing in bowl game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Domo claiming that he's not playing in bowl game.

Whatever you linked has been deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Whatever you linked has been deleted

Lucky for you, I'm always prepared.

Added to the long list of smart choices for Domo.
    Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 12-19-2016 at 04:59 PM.

Banned
    We are going to kick Indiana's ass in this game.

Troy Williams was playing much of the season with a sprained MCL.

Brian Johnson was hanging out at practice today.

Brian Johnson was hanging out at practice today.

I think his wife is from SLC. Maybe he's here for Christmas.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think his wife is from SLC. Maybe he's here for Christmas.

Doesn't miss st have a bowl game?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Doesn't miss st have a bowl game?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Yep. Day after Christmas in Florida. I can't imagine they took the week off. It's not like Bronco's the HC.

The Bolles family got even bigger this morning with the safe delivery of their new baby. Any chance we don't see Garrett in the bowl game?

The Bolles family got even bigger this morning with the safe delivery of their new baby. Any chance we don't see Garrett in the bowl game?
    Doubtful, guessing he flies out day after Christmas.

Hoping it is a large baby boy